Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 4: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Houston Texans.

Money is one thing, but Being a Head Coach is worth more than Money to these guy's. Based on what we have seen so far, you should at least have a plan for in place for what to do when Slowick ultimately leaves for a Head Coaching gig.
Bears with Caleb Williams + another round one could be an enticing proposition..

Dunno what game yall were watching. I never said he played poor, I'm just saying he didn't impact the game.

I dont know if he played poorly or if he played well tbh, but like you I didnt see the impact. I did see him have to fight off more than one block sometimes but i also saw him single blocked a bunch.

Id like to see him be a bit more disruptive and finishing some of the almost sacks or tkl for losses.

You dont become a dominant edge rusher in the league by sometimes fighting off multiple blockers. Also, saying i want to see more from him is a single observation from one game...not an indictment on his career.

I dont know if he played poorly or if he played well tbh, but like you I didnt see the impact. I did see him have to fight off more than one block sometimes but i also saw him single blocked a bunch.

Id like to see him be a bit more disruptive and finishing some of the almost sacks or tkl for losses.

You dont become a dominant edge rusher in the league by sometimes fighting off multiple blockers. Also, saying i want to see more from him is a single observation from one game...not an indictment on his career.
They did game planned for him some though, and it backfired.

It's 4 games into his career, how does he compare?

No one is going to hire Slowick based on two good games. The Texans are still a .500 team as of today. People
No one is going to hire Slowick based on two good games. The Texans are still a .500 team as of today. People need to slow their roll a bit.

I agree that Slowick will not leave this year, but if this teams success develops like it seems it is heading, he sure might after year two. The point I am trying to make is that this was a structural problem that everyone knew was an issue when we hired a Defensive Head Coach.

Seth Payne (Radio 610) addressed this concern with his "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" joke. The point was that normally if you have a Defensive Head Coach, and if the team has great success, some one would come along and hire your OC as a Head Coach. And then you that would be stuck trying to re-invent the offense with a new scheme that the new OC liked. The thing that offset that risk for the Texans was, by hiring Demeco and bring in Slowick as OC, Slowick was a card carrying citizen of the "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" Offensive System Nation. And that there were lots of other citizens of the "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" Offensive System Nation out there (including Jerrod Johnson after this year).

So if we lose Slowick in the future, because of extreme team success, it will just be a matter of deciding which of the numerous certified "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" cult members Demarco and Nick like the most, and then just plugging him in, keeping the Offensive System basically the same.

All I have been saying is that you should have a plan (actually a list of cult members) in mind for this possibility, because it is starting to look like it could happen in the near term future.

Last edited:
I am concerned that Slowick will head out for a head coaching position and take Johnson as his offensive coordinator.
Slowik will be gone probably in 2025 if this keeps up. I have to imagine Johnson would probably rather stay here as OC than follow Slowik. You follow Slowik and you don't really have the opportunity to prove yourself as Slowik will be the actual OC wherever you end up. Stay here work with the same players/organization instead of starting all over and be the brains behind the offense.

Same thing happened in Philly. Colts take Steichen and the Eagles QB coach stays to be the OC.

I agree that Slowick will not leave this year, but if this teams success develops like it seems it is heading, he sure might after year two. The point I am trying to make is that this was a structural problem that everyone knew was an issue when we hired a Defensive Head Coach.

Seth Payne (Radio 610) addressed this concern with his "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" joke. The point was that normally if you have a Defensive Head Coach, and if the team has great success, some one would come along and hire your OC as a Head Coach. And then you that would be stuck trying to re-invent the offense with a new scheme that the new OC liked. The thing that offset that risk for the Texans was, by hiring Demeco and bring in Slowick as OC, Slowick was a card carrying citizen of the "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" Offensive System Nation. And that there were lots of other citizens of the "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" Offensive System Nation out there (including Jerrod Johnson after this year).

So if we lose Slowick in the future, because of extreme team success, it will just be a matter of deciding which of the numerous certified "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" cult members Demarco and Nick like the most and just plugging them in, keeping the Offensive System basically the same.

All I have been saying is that you should have a plan (actually a list of cult members) in mind for this possibility, because it is starting to look like it could happen in the near term future.
Shanahan has a lot of coaches always learning and growing. I think early on Demeco even touched on this, and he has every intent to have people inside the org ready to go if his coaches are successful. I would be surprised to see him hiring from outside his OC

Shanahan has a lot of coaches always learning and growing. I think early on Demeco even touched on this, and he has every intent to have people inside the org ready to go if his coaches are successful. I would be surprised to see him hiring from outside his OC

Finally, a positive post on this ridiculously insane topic.

I suggest the mods delete all posts related to this subject. :mad:

do feel sorta bad for Panthers fans though. I mean, F them we are keeping CJ but....

To imagine moving up to #1 and taking Young. Thats gotta hurt.

I feel bad for them also. Frank R. is a terrible coach and we all know what it feels like from the O'Brien era to always run on first down (and usually second) and then predictably having to throw on 3rd. And couldn't set up a screen to save our lives.....

I was so mad when Lovie screwed us out of having our pick of QB's instead of taking the consolation prize.....

Not now since we got Stroud. And I'm not so sure our own front office wouldn't have bought into the hype around BY - especially when he comes from Demeco's college - maybe some conscious or unconscious favoritism there?

We dodged a bullet for sure.

So if we lose Slowick in the future, because of extreme team success, it will just be a matter of deciding which of the numerous certified "KuebiaciShanahanstanian" cult members Demarco and Nick like the most and just plugging them in, keeping the Offensive System basically the same.

OK, the post I was responding to (not yours) proclaimed that he would be a HC next year.

PPS: Listening too much to Seth Payne and 610 can damage your intelligence

OK, the post I was responding to (not yours) proclaimed that he would be a HC next year.

PPS: Listening too much to Seth Payne and 610 can damage your intelligence
I don't listen to Seth Payne.

Remember, a guy named Joe Bob Cooter was made a HC after a couple of good games. David Culley was made a HC for no good reason. Teams are desperate & seem to get more desperate every year.

perhaps this guy would be interested in OC if Slowik leaves; perhaps bring his brother Klay?

Klint Alexander Kubiak (born February 17, 1987) is an American football coach who is the passing game coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He previously served as the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings in 2021.
Kubiak is going into his 9th year of coaching, and has worked four seasons apiece in the NFL and college ranks following his playing career at Colorado State University. He is the son of Gary Kubiak, the former head coach of the Denver Broncos, who lead the team to victory in Super Bowl 50, as well as the Vikings former assistant head coach.[1]

Slowik will be gone probably in 2025 if this keeps up. I have to imagine Johnson would probably rather stay here as OC than follow Slowik. You follow Slowik and you don't really have the opportunity to prove yourself as Slowik will be the actual OC wherever you end up. Stay here work with the same players/organization instead of starting all over and be the brains behind the offense.

Same thing happened in Philly. Colts take Steichen and the Eagles QB coach stays to be the OC.

Yep, and Johnson is a hometown guy. Although staying or going will probably come down to paying Johnson more to stay.

But he does impact the game, they have to account for him. This allows others to step up because they aren’t being accounted for.

A good player you have to plan for, a great player it doesn’t matter.

Junior just has to find a way to be great!
Jr has a long ways to go. All he has is a bull rush and his body type isn't setup up to do that. I'm JJ or Mario were both 6'6 and close to 300lbs, so they could do it. I understand he's a rookie, but he's not even as good as Clowney was early on.

Why do you have it in for WA?
I don't, I hope he becomes everything they hoped. I know what my eyes are telling me and it's kinda going back to his college tape. He's not getting off blocks, he's not converting power to speed or vice versa. It's early, but we've seen Parsons, Miller, Aldon Smith, Peppers and guys like that come in the nfl and wreck shop from day 1. Right now, he's nowhere close and he's playing the wide 9 which give the player an advantage. He needs to get better.

I don't, I hope he becomes everything they hoped. I know what my eyes are telling me and it's kinda going back to his college tape. He's not getting off blocks, he's not converting power to speed or vice versa. It's early, but we've seen Parsons, Miller, Aldon Smith, Peppers and guys like that come in the nfl and wreck shop from day 1. Right now, he's nowhere close and he's playing the wide 9 which give the player an advantage. He needs to get better.
I sincerely hope that his play continues as it did in college.

Jr has a long ways to go. All he has is a bull rush and his body type isn't setup up to do that. I'm JJ or Mario were both 6'6 and close to 300lbs, so they could do it. I understand he's a rookie, but he's not even as good as Clowney was early on.
We will have to agree to disagree. WAJr. is more grounded, has a better relentless non stop motor, unbelievable drive, and self motivation than clowney ever has or had...EVER. That in itself already surpasses what clowney ever brought to the table.

very true

And if he doesn’t evolve his game he will be neutralized.

But right now he has their attention.

Last edited:
I'm just glad he's drawing a bunch of double teams.

Back