Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 13:Texans colts GAME DAY

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I guess we disagree here. I'm not a believer in the mantra, "it hit both hands, you have to catch it". some catches, while possible to catch, are simply difficult to handle. in my hypothetical situation, I'm blasting DW for making a play alot more difficult than it had to be.
If there was absolutely no reason Watson shouldn't have thrown a perfect ball, I agree with you. But if he's got Justin Houston half a step away... as long as he gets it close where noone else can get it.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I guess we disagree here. I'm not a believer in the mantra, "it hit both hands, you have to catch it". some catches, while possible to catch, are simply difficult to handle. in my hypothetical situation, I'm blasting DW for making a play alot more difficult than it had to be.
Lets me be clear here what I am saying for sure he should have caught it is in your hypothetical Keke catch scenario. As far as the actual play goes I'm not ready to say Watson should have caught it or not because the angles I have seen aren't good enough to be sure. If he had both hands on it and lost it while turning then yeah he should have secured the ball and taken the hit so they could try again on the next play. However looking at it slowed down, best youtube can, play it looks like it could have hit his knee and he never really had both hands on it. Its why I said I'm waiting for the all 22 so that we can see different angles and find out what was really going on.

Either way I place the lion's share of the blame on Martin for not just the bad snap but completely getting brushed aside by the defender so there was no time to recover it once it was fumbled.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If there was absolutely no reason Watson shouldn't have thrown a perfect ball, I agree with you. But if he's got Justin Houston half a step away... as long as he gets it close where noone else can get it.
Or if its a blind pass which we've seen both Watson and Mahomes have to make. The difference between the Hopkins, OBJs, Coopers and Gronks vs other guys that play those positions is they make those kind of plays. You can argue they are just more talented but at the end of the day when the game is on the line you don't get to make the excuse "I'm just not good enough" for why you failed to make a play. In a perfect world all players are trying to get to that hall of fame level so all players WANT to be the go to guy that gets the questionable pass or game winning hand off so they can make that big play.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Either way I place the lion's share of the blame on Martin for not just the bad snap but completely getting brushed aside by the defender so there was no time to recover it once it was fumbled.
I remember Wade Smith saying the coaches are asking the OL to do too much, they're not putting the players in position to succeed. If I had to guess, Nick Martin was thinking, "I gotta snap the ball and fire out at the DT as fast as I can." He ended up botching both of those, maybe because what coaches want him to do is simply asking for too much.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I remember Wade Smith saying the coaches are asking the OL to do too much, they're not putting the players in position to succeed. If I had to guess, Nick Martin was thinking, "I gotta snap the ball and fire out at the DT as fast as I can." He ended up botching both of those, maybe because what coaches want him to do is simply asking for too much.
I'm not sure I understand but asking him to snap the ball and block his assigned guy is asking to much? If so then forget his big contract what the frack is he even doing playing center in the NFL to start with?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I don’t know, Martin has always struggled with snapping the ball accurately. He definitely improved over time, but he has not been consistent enough

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Or if its a blind pass which we've seen both Watson and Mahomes have to make. The difference between the Hopkins, OBJs, Coopers and Gronks vs other guys that play those positions is they make those kind of plays. You can argue they are just more talented but at the end of the day when the game is on the line you don't get to make the excuse "I'm just not good enough" for why you failed to make a play. In a perfect world all players are trying to get to that hall of fame level so all players WANT to be the go to guy that gets the questionable pass or game winning hand off so they can make that big play.
That's why I was happy to see DW taking the blame for that play. No matter the circumstances, he believes he can make the play. Alot of people sees that as a negative and calls it "hero-ball". Not me, I like his confidence in himself. I'm willing to take the good w/ the bad.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure I understand but asking him to snap the ball and block his assigned guy is asking to much? If so then forget his big contract what the frack is he even doing playing center in the NFL to start with?
:shrug: I don't know the finer details of OL play. I just remember Wade saying that. And I don't know what he's doing playing center in the NFL, because it ain't playing center.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The play he threw it up for grabs into the end zone that was almost picked. I don't recall all the details and haven't seen it again, but in real-time I didn't like that decision.
He should’ve tucked that and ran with it. He had a lot green on the right side. Could’ve gotten the first down or at least picked up 5-8 yards.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
All of you... @amazing80, @austins23, @Speedy, @ClemsonTexan...

Can you name one bad decision Watson made yesterday?
Why, so we can focus on that, where the narrative becomes that's who he is? **** that!!

I personally don't give a pink rat's ass what mistakes he made yesterday. Dude's been ballin' his ass off all season, with **** around him to boot, and he gets treated around here like he's Hoyer, Mallett, Keenum, Savage, Osweiler, Fitzpatrick, Rosenfels, Banks, any number of **** scrub QBs this franchise has had, and it's all ******* ridiculous. Y'all expect this guy to be perfect and that's bullshit. I think some of y'all just find things to complain about him because you don't know any other way.

The man has no run game, has had a **** o-line since he's been here, and has had all his receivers taken away, and still made a dude who has spent a bulk of his career as a healthy scratch, and some practice squad nobody, stars yesterday. But instead of Watson getting credit for that from y'all, you're wondering why this Coutee stud hasn't been playing more, or why he didn't hit that open guy from that one screenshot you found on that one play that you've overanalyzed to death.

But hey, if that's how some of y'all find pleasure in this game, more power to you.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The play he threw it up for grabs into the end zone that was almost picked. I don't recall all the details and haven't seen it again, but in real-time I didn't like that decision.
Yes, that was a stupid throw. You guys happy now??

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Good Lord you can't analyze anything around here without someone screaming its all part of an agenda to either hate on Watson or defend him at all costs. Its just a bloody look at the play overall people. No one is saying its all on Watson or that he could have salvaged the play or that he caused the snap to be bad or even, on the other side, that he made no mistakes at all. Its just trying to see what all went wrong on all parts, what could Martin have done better, what could Watson have done better, what could D Johnson have done better or hell what could Toro have done better. Why did Martin make a bad snap and what caused it? Could Watson have secured the ball and did he have a chance to do that? This is what you are suppose to do when analyzing things in the NFL.

Think back to the Pats/Seahawks super bowl and what play most people remember about it. Five will get you ten the most common answer is passing it in the end zone that cost Seattle the game. No one cares about how well they played before its just that play that is remembered. Watson played a pretty good game and honestly so did Martin and if that last snap had gone off without a hitch odds are we wouldn't be having this conversation. It didn't, so we are and thats not a knock on any one player thats just how humans think. We focus on what went wrong hopefully with a mind of how to keep it from happening again.

I hope to God the Texans look at every play that way and not the way we apparently do around here because if so no one on this team will improve

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But instead of Watson getting credit for that from y'all, you're wondering why this Coutee stud hasn't been playing more, or why he didn't hit that open guy from that one screenshot you found on that one play that you've overanalyzed to death.

But hey, if that's how some of y'all find pleasure in this game, more power to you.
I get it. There are some guys who over do it. But I'm not them. I'm a Watson fan & I believe for the most part I've given him props. I've acknowledged the poor situation he is in & I've applauded him for becoming the QB he has in spite of it.

This morning, it was just me arguing he could have done better on that safety. The others didn't join until later. So it's like forget any of the good stuff I ever said about him. I'm being treated like a hater. & nothing could be farther from the truth.

I'm here to talk about football. I'm here to talk about the Texans. If this is where the group wants to steer the conversation... let's talk about it.

If we don't want to talk about it, let the threads fall to the second page, like the terrible defense thread before I bumped it. Or the Easterby thread, or whatever.

If you want to talk about the good stuff... let's talk.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I get it. There are some guys who over do it. But I'm not them. I'm a Watson fan & I believe for the most part I've given him props. I've admitted the poor situation he is in & I've applauded him for becoming the QB he has in spite of it.

This morning, it was just me arguing he could have done better on that safety. The others didn't join until later. So it's like forget any of the good stuff I ever said about him. I'm being treated like a hater. & nothing could be farther from the truth.

I'm here to talk about football. I'm here to talk about the Texans. If this is where the group wants to steer the conversation... let's talk about it.

If we don't want to talk about it, let the threads fall to the second page, like the terrible defense thread before I bumped it. Or the Easterby thread, or whatever.

Of course he could have done better. And he's shown that he is getting better every week. Mahomes could have done better against the Broncos. Wilson certainly could have done better last night. Ryan, Murray, Carr, Tannehill, they all could have done better. I don't think Baker could have, but I digress. Point is, every QB every week, misses open guys, or should have made a better throw, or something. None of them are perfect.

But for some reason this forum is hell bent on finding those plays from Watson every week and grilling the dude, making it seem like that's who he is. That's weak.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Of course he could have done better. And he's shown that he is getting better every week. Mahomes could have done better against the Broncos. Wilson certainly could have done better last night. Ryan, Murray, Carr, Tannehill, they all could have done better. I don't think Baker could have, but I digress. Point is, every QB every week, misses open guys, or should have made a better throw, or something. None of them, are perfect.

But for some reason this forum is hell bent on finding those plays from Watson every week and grilling the dude, making it seem like that's who he is. That's weak.
Stop painting the entire forum in broad strokes. This forum does not sit around and finds all the bad plays Watson does and grills him. We don't talk about the other QBs and what they could have done better because this is the Texans section of the forum and those guys aren't Texan QBs. If you want to do nothing but talk about all the great things Watson has done then fine, there is a thread for that and there is plenty of material but don't act like those of us trying to look at the whole picture, both good and bad, are just grilling him.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I get it. There are some guys who over do it. But I'm not them. I'm a Watson fan & I believe for the most part I've given him props. I've acknowledged the poor situation he is in & I've applauded him for becoming the QB he has in spite of it.

Welcome to the club, we meet on Monday and as the new guy you have to bring the donuts.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Stop painting the entire forum in broad strokes. This forum does not sit around and finds all the bad plays Watson does and grills him. We don't talk about the other QBs and what they could have done better because this is the Texans section of the forum and those guys aren't Texan QBs. If you want to do nothing but talk about all the great things Watson has done then fine, there is a thread for that and there is plenty of material but don't act like those of us trying to look at the whole picture, both good and bad, are just grilling him.
Stop with the why you are painting broad strokes BS. We all know who we’re talking about around here. If what I said doesn’t apply to you, then you’re not who I’m talking about.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Stop with the why you are painting broad strokes BS. We all know who we’re talking about around here. If what I said doesn’t apply to you, then you’re not who I’m talking about.
Looks like you’re calling the entire forum out to me. And frankly I’d don’t know who anyone is talking about these days because as TK said what a poster has said in the past doesn't seem to matter the moment they say anything someone disagrees with then it’s they are cut and dry a Watson hater or defender. It mirrors the old OB arguments it’s not even funny.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s because he takes responsibility for everything possibly within his power to control. I admire him for doing so, even when he shoulders blame alone... when he shouldn’t.

Go ahead, try and tell me with a straight face that the first and last snaps of that series were anywhere near “good”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will tell you what he said, he should have caught it. You either can believe him or not. I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

Yes it was a bad snap and yes he should have caught it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Decim8

Veteran
Yeah but that thread gets derailed too lol

dream_team

Hall of Fame
It's truly amazing how everything Watson does is both heavily criticized and praised in TT. I honestly don't get it.

Watson, BY FAR, is the least of this team's problems.
Watson's play, BY FAR, is not the reason the Texans lost yesterday.

All I'm seeing today are 100s of pictures, stills, videos on the botched snap and the safety.

Decim8

Veteran
It's truly amazing how everything Watson does is both heavily criticized and praised in TT. I honestly don't get it.

All I'm seeing today are 100s of pictures, stills, videos on the botched snap and the safety.
It is what it is I guess :shrug:

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame

Haters gonna hate

And we know who they are