Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

I hear what you're saying with this entire post. for the most part you are correct, other then the end by saying that the division shouldn't have been close. That is an exaggeration. We should have won the division though. We had so many losses that happened due to a fumble at the end of the game and Pitt/Dallas loss. But hey, that is football. We also won several games at the tail end as well, so we got lucky in several as well. It went both ways for us. I think the fact that we weren't getting blown out in games and were winning the games we were supposed to win was a good sign though. I don't ever recall watching a game where the Texans looked flat out like they didn't come to play. UNder Kubiak I saw that all of the time. Last season, Fitzpatrick at QB did us in, along with the injuries to the other QB's. The Colts had Luck who is an elite QB now, so we've got to bridge that gap if we are going to expect to compete with them in the future.
Rewatch the Giants game. The Texans did not come to play that day.

Rewatch the Giants game. The Texans did not come to play that day.

Good reference Doc. I actually thought about that game when I made that post, but I disagree with you there. I think they did come to play in that game. I just think that we got our ass kicked by a team that really needed a win. I actually predicted us to lose that game that week and got laughed at by some buddies. I felt the Giants would have been a bad match up for us that week, because it was early in the season and we had won a few games, and they hadn't won a single game if I remember right. I just remember that game being a bad trap game, and felt uneasy all week about that game and unfortunately was dead on. Every team gets their ass kicked at least one week in the season, and that was ours. Again good reference, and it is debatable for sure. I just think it was more of the circumstances and we got caught a little off guard.

Good reference Doc. I actually thought about that game when I made that post, but I disagree with you there. I think they did come to play in that game. I just think that we got our ass kicked by a team that really needed a win. I actually predicted us to lose that game that week and got laughed at by some buddies. I felt the Giants would have been a bad match up for us that week, because it was early in the season and we had won a few games, and they hadn't won a single game if I remember right. I just remember that game being a bad trap game, and felt uneasy all week about that game and unfortunately was dead on. Every team gets their ass kicked at least one week in the season, and that was ours. Again good reference, and it is debatable for sure. I just think it was more of the circumstances and we got caught a little off guard.
Definitely an arguable point. The Texans came on late, but the damage was done. I felt that this was the worst game of the year by the Texans, as a whole.

Irsay is also extremely lucky to go from Manning to being 1st in the draft when one of the best prospects in years at QB was coming out of college. If Rick Smith would have had Luck available last year when we picked first he'd probably look pretty smart in a couple of years as well.

No doubt!!!

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 13m13 minutes ago
Hearing Vince Wilfork has reached the visit stage of free agency. No such thing as weekends this time of year. Tomorrow could be a "big" day

:uprights:

This has the potential to be the biggest gain this off-season, not including the Rahim Moore signing. If Vince signs to the Colts, I will be pissed-off. :pissed:

This would be the only gain other than Moore (so far).
You don't consider the Texans retaining their own FA's as a net gain? I'm still of the opinion that the QB situation is better than last year and the only real loss has been AJ. If the Texans can snag Wilfork and a good veteran WR, such as Greg Jennings (at the right price of course), then I see this offseason being one of the best FA periods in team history. I can hardly wait for the draft!!

You don't consider the Texans retaining their own FA's as a net gain? I'm still of the opinion that the QB situation is better than last year and the only real loss has been AJ. If the Texans can snag Wilfork and a good veteran WR, such as Greg Jennings (at the right price of course), then I see this offseason being one of the best FA periods in team history. I can hardly wait for the draft!!

I think this year we have a better collection of "potentials" than we had at this time last year. That's a plus.

I somehow don't think we need Greg Jennings. He's getting long in the tooth too and WR is a "vinegar not wine" kind of position. I wonder, is Cecil Shorts still out there? He might be a guy with a chance to bounce back and he's been a real pain in our asses the last couple of years. I'd like the Texans to take a look at him if he's still around.

You don't consider the Texans retaining their own FA's as a net gain?

I'm glad they kept Newton and KJ but they are not an upgrade from last season

I'm still of the opinion that the QB situation is better than last year and the only real loss has been AJ. If the Texans can snag Wilfork and a good veteran WR, such as Greg Jennings (at the right price of course), then I see this offseason being one of the best FA periods in team history. I can hardly wait for the draft!!

Not going to reargue QB. Only one gets on the field at a time. I expect Mallett to be better but he also was here last year.

Jennings, seriously?

Bottom line is as things stand right now we lost 5 starters (AJ, Myers, Pickett, Reed, Lewis) and have replaced only 1 at all - he is an upgrade. I don't think it is reasonable to expect 4 draft hits upgrading the other 4.

Add to that obvious weaknesses like slot WR, TE, ILB.

So far I think it's generous to say we are treading water. There's still time. Signing Shorts, Wilfork and Foster/McClain would substantially upgrade the offseason grade.

wonder, is Cecil Shorts still out there? He might be a guy with a chance to bounce back and he's been a real pain in our asses the last couple of years. I'd like the Texans to take a look at him if he's still around.

Really hope they are considering Shorts. Dirt cheap upgrade.

Not going to reargue QB. Only one gets on the field at a time. I expect Mallett to be better but he also was here last year.

Jennings, seriously?

Bottom line is as things stand right now we lost 5 starters (AJ, Myers, Pickett, Reed, Lewis) and have replaced only 1 at all - he is an upgrade. I don't think it is reasonable to expect 4 draft hits upgrading the other 4.

So far I think it's generous to say we are treading water. There's still time. Signing Shorts, Wilfork and Foster/McClain would substantially upgrade the offseason grade.

Lewis was a starter last year? I thought Swag and Manning were the starters?

And we know that Jones can replace Myers and X slide into his spot. And Nix can backfill Pickett. No one is scratching their head wondering who in the bloody hell is going to replace these guys. The question is can they replace them adequately and what is the strategy for getting some depth.

And we know that Jones can replace Myers and X slide into his spot. And Nix can backfill Pickett. No one is scratching their head wondering who in the bloody hell is going to replace these guys. The question is can they replace them adequately and what is the strategy for getting some depth.

Lewis started 16 games last season. Manning had 5 starts.

We know Jones can play C but there is no reasonable expectation he will be as good much less better than Myers. Plus that is just shifting missing starters. X is a hope. I think he will turn into a player.

Nix is a hope and a prayer. And yes we are wondering how they can be replaced, that's why we're talking to Wilfork.

Moore has demonstrated on the field he is an upgrade over last year's starter. None of the other positions have similar proven replacements/uphrades.

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
Follow
"@eblack35: what are Wilfork's top 3 targets? And who's the favorite?"» Houston, Baltimore, Indy.
8:39 AM - 15 Mar 2015

Baltimore. Intersting

tho seeing a healthy Wilfork and Clowney play next to JJ watt would be a beefy front 4 IMO

JJ watt NIX Wilfork Pagan/CLown

or

Merclius, Watt, Wilfork , Crick ,

so many combos

tho seeing a healthy Wilfork and Clowney play next to JJ watt would be a beefy front 4 IMO

I don't understand why RAC, Vrabel, & Jj aren't making a very public push to get Wilfork.

At least a social media push.

If the Texans draft strategy continues an blindfold/dartboard strategy seems to be the order of the day.

You should rewatch that game. They were up 7-0 and that kick absolutely destroyed any chance we had because it gave them that rolling momentum and if I remember correctly, they went up 24-0.

It took JJ Watt's GOD-like effort to make that game even competitive again and somehow, some way we only lost by 5.

It was an absolutely disastrous play, and an absolutely embarrassing one. And to think it came from a team that supposedly was way better prepared for games this year. And not only that, the very next play after the onside kick, they threw it deep for a 50 yard TD which makes it even worse because they were also disgustingly unprepared for THAT too. A catastrophic lapse. Just like the lapses in the Dallas game. Just like the lapse in the Pittsburgh game.

It was a big, big, big failure and completely changed that game. Like it or not, plays in the first quarter matter a LOT. Individual plays matter A LOT. And it's very utopian to just say "oh, you should overcome it" but you know what? Sometimes, they're just *that* devastating. Just like Jones' muffed punt in the Ravens game.

It was a massive deal.

And my point was that it took them a surprise onside kick in one game and injuring two quarterbacks in the other to win the division over us, and that's not including the aforementioned Dallas failure or Pittsburgh failure, or the Bengals/Mallett debacle. This division shouldn't have even been close. The Colts were unbelievably beatable in 2014 and we let 'em off the hook.

I deleted that game off my DVR after the first quarter! I agree that we easily could've won both of those games and that the onside kick was a huge disaster. I just don't think it was some lucky BS play. They saw that we were idiotically lined up super deep right in the middle of the field. BOB was ticked after that and we never saw that dumb return formation again.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 3m3 minutes ago
He's currently in a city that rhymes with Twoston RT @The_Johnny: @JaysonBraddock any word on Wilfork and where he's visiting?

Must be down at the rodeo in the BBQ area

Lewis started 16 games last season. Manning had 5 starts.

We know Jones can play C but there is no reasonable expectation he will be as good much less better than Myers. Plus that is just shifting missing starters. X is a hope. I think he will turn into a player.

Nix is a hope and a prayer. And yes we are wondering how they can be replaced, that's why we're talking to Wilfork.

Moore has demonstrated on the field he is an upgrade over last year's starter. None of the other positions have similar proven replacements/uphrades.
Some people here are acting delusional. We've lost five starters and depth (if not resigned) replaced/upgraded one spot and we've "improved". Indy has upgraded seveveral spots and they made it to the arc championship game yet we are even with them?

With our draft history I'm not sure we can count on more than one significant contributor from the upcoming draft. If we're really lucky two! This looks like a rebuild in its first year.

I'm ok with that. OB and most likely McNair (maybe just McNair) wanted to see what we could do with the existing roster and new coaching since the year before we had a pretty good run. It wasn't good enough so now OB wants to make it his team with his type roster.

So far I like the direction but at this point we have NOT upgraded or improved this roster overall.

Must be down at the rodeo in the BBQ area

Agent was clear that Wilfork will take his time deciding. I think he's just going to get as many free meals as possible from other teams then go where he was planning on going all along.
eating.gif

They certainly aren't a downgrade, either.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Savage has developed with a full NFL season under his belt. He could very well end up better than Mallett or Hoyer.

Jennings, seriously?
Not just Jennings. A good veteran WR. Shorts would be fine.

Reed was no great loss and, other than WR, the replacements are already on the team. Jones will e the center, Nix replaces Pickett. I expect last years draft pics to have a bigger impact than this years, with the obvious exception of JDC.

I think you can add OLB to the list of weakness' also.

Those would be great additions.

I would be happy with that!

Crappy BBQ there. They eat lobster sammiches... ick.

He should be used to lobster. And we know he does his own BBQ.

It's about a 6 hour drive from Fanklin, MA to Baltimore, PA if Wilfork wants to stay close to home. And Baltimore are legitimate contenders to win their division and they also have shown they can go into Foxboro and give the Pats all they can handle. They lost there by only 4 last year and beat them there on their way to the SB in 2012.

I know I'm in the minority but I would rather Wilfork play for someone other than the Texans and they use what little space there is on younger upgrades (if just in depth) elsewhere on the team.

They certainly aren't a downgrade, either.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Savage has developed with a full NFL season under his belt. He could very well end up better than Mallett or Hoyer.

Not just Jennings. A good veteran WR. Shorts would be fine.

Reed was no great loss and, other than WR, the replacements are already on the team. Jones will e the center, Nix replaces Pickett. I expect last years draft pics to have a bigger impact than this years, with the obvious exception of JDC.

I think you can add OLB to the list of weakness' also.

Those would be great additions.

I would be happy with that!

At this point Reed is a big loss. Until they replace him with someone as good or better then it's a loss. How can anyone feel comfortable saying Nix will replace Pickett? And Powell is gone to. So no depth at all at NT. What has X done to make anyone think he is ready for the starting LG spot if we do move Jones to C?

Again I'm not at all confident at all in our ability to fill holes via the draft.

Agent was clear that Wilfork will take his time deciding. I think he's just going to get as many free meals as possible from other teams then go where he was planning on going all along.
eating.gif

Yeah, but most of the time, if they leave a place without a deal, they're gone. Certainly don't see any reason to view Wilfork's visit to Houston (if that report is indeed true) as any different from the norm in that regard.

Crappy BBQ there. They eat lobster sammiches... ick.

Lobster sammiches?!?
[imgwidthsize=300]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/621/1f7/d61/resized/mcenroe-meme-generator-you-cannot-be-serious-ce6bce.jpg?1333459754.jpg[/IMG]

Wilfork isn't signing with the Texans unless the Texans overpay.

McGuire still has hard feelings over the way AJ was handled.

Yeah, but most of the time, if they leave a place without a deal, they're gone. Certainly don't see any reason to view Wilfork's visit to Houston (if that report is indeed true) as any different from the norm in that regard.

If you're going on a "tour" of possible places to sign then I think the place you start is either a) the place you intend to sign and you're cutting straight to the point, or b) the place you have no intention of signing but you want the other places you're considering signing to see that you have another suitor.

And that's why McGuire is on record saying he wants Wilfork in Houston?

Rather than any animosity from McGuire, the big problem for Houston is Gore and AJ in Indy on a division winner. I would think we'd have to outbid them to win.

Rather than any animosity from McGuire, the big problem for Houston is Gore and AJ in Indy on a division winner. I would think we'd have to outbid them to win.

We have RAC, Vrabel, OB, Godsey and Mallett to offset that... maybe they'll need to outbid us

:fans:

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
He'll be in Houston, today.

Hearing Vince Wilfork has reached the visit stage of free agency. No such thing as weekends this time of year. Tomorrow could be a "big" day

Lock yer pantries, guard yer cattle, stock up on BBQ now!
pacman.gif

I am not worried about Gore. I think Herron is the better back at this stage in their careers. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gore as a 3rd down back.

AJ turns 34 this year and has been hampered by soft tissue injuries the last 2 years that had slowed him down.

I am not worried about Gore. I think Herron is the better back at this stage in their careers. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gore as a 3rd down back.

AJ turns 34 this year and has been hampered by soft tissue injuries the last 2 years that had slowed him down.

I was talking about attractiveness to Wilfork not impact on the team. Wilfork, Gore and AJ were teammates. That U crowd is tight.

BOSTON (CBS) - No matter how many years have passed, the fact remains that it is always about The U.

And new Colts running back Frank Gore is hoping the allure of making a Miami reconnection in Indianapolis will be enough to inspire Vince Wilfork to sign with the Colts.

Gore, who signed with the Colts this past week along with wide receiver and former Hurricane Andre Johnson, posted on Instagram that he’s hopeful to share a locker room once again with Wilfork, his college teammate.

Link

Boy you had to dig deep to come up with that spin. :spit:

Gore a third down back????

Johnson slowed down last couple of years????

Sounds like a horse of different color and some kool aid drinkers engaging in some wishful thinking by interpreting Maguire's word as Wilfork's which they clearly are not.

Haven't seen anyone interpreting them as Wilfork's, not even close

We have RAC, Vrabel, OB, Godsey and Mallett to offset that... maybe they'll need to outbid us

:fans:
I'd think Watt's name would come up, too. Wilfork would have to love playing next to him. That could be an impressive DL.

Johnson slowed down last couple of years????

And yet he had more catches and yards last year than many of the people that have been suggested to replace him. I guess a slowed down Johnson is still a legitimate weapon.

Back