Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Upgrading Offensive Line via Draft

Top 3 needs on team imo:

1) Outside CB
2) Interior OL
3) Edge rusher

I suspect the Texans will look to address these items of need within the first three rounds. Of course there are plenty of other areas of need and highly talented players in the upcoming draft ready to fill those spots on the roster.

Whether the top three needs I suggest are addressed in the first three picks remains to be seen. But with seven picks in the top 107 there is plenty of ammo to maneuver for Caserio to “get his guys”.

I have RB and safety above edge rusher but that’s not indicative of where I might draft these players. In terms of drafting, your list is basically my own.

We have different philosophies on how to build a team. I'm for trading down if there are players that are comparable. Say Sauce and a healthy Stingley. But when you get a chance to draft a star level player, you should never pass on him. Those guys are the guys you're looking for.

I understand why you think this way because the Calhoun's have been so bad at drafting in rds 2-4. Most teams can find the type of guys you're talking about in those rds. After last years draft, I'm feeling better about Caserios ability to hit on guys in those rds.

why? NC had no secondrd pick and zero track record other than NE and it’s hard to tell how much he influenced those picks. Mills is a work in progress and I think his ceiling is quite modest. Not to say he will end up as a bad 3rd rounder but he ain’t Tom Brady so let’s keep the Mills hype to something realistic. At best he is our next Matt Schaub. And with the right mix of teammates and right offensive philosophy that’s not bad but this dude isn’t the next superstar QB.

why? NC had no secondrd pick and zero track record other than NE and it’s hard to tell how much he influenced those picks. Mills is a work in progress and I think his ceiling is quite modest. Not to say he will end up as a bad 3rd rounder but he ain’t Tom Brady so let’s keep the Mills hype to something realistic. At best he is our next Matt Schaub. And with the right mix of teammates and right offensive philosophy that’s not bad but this dude isn’t the next superstar QB.
Yeah, the Mills is that dude train is rolling along. I don't see any special qualities honestly and looking at the age of the AFC qb's, Texans aren't going to be in any comversations until they get that dude at qb. The entire afc north,west,and half the east are light years ahead of the texans in terms of talent alone especially at qb. Right now, they have the 12th best qb in the afc and that's being generous.

While you’re asking for those who see a positive future for Mills to tone down their expectations…..the same could be said for you in regards to where you put his limits. You, me, nor anyone else on this board knows what Mills next steps in 2022 will look like.

His last 4 games looked as though the game was slowing down and as he had shown through most of his starts…..he’s very cool in the pocket.

You know who run the ball well but isn't a power running football team? Titans. They run more zone than anyone in the nfl. Henry is the reason people think they're a power running team, but they don't do pulls and powers.
Yeah I know, Henry is a special type of back. To be able to move the way he does at that size is remarkable.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Mills is that dude train is rolling along. I don't see any special qualities honestly and looking at the age of the AFC qb's, Texans aren't going to be in any conversations until they get that dude at qb.
A. You're probably right. Most QBs aren't "dudes".
B. The Texans haven't had an opportunity to acquire a "dude", bonafide or perceived.
C. Why not wait another year, just to make sure Mills doesn't surprise and become a dude?

A. You're probably right. Most QBs aren't "dudes".
B. The Texans haven't had an opportunity to acquire a "dude", bonafide or perceived.
C. Why not wait another year, just to make sure Mills doesn't surprise and become a dude?
I didn't say to draft a qb high, even though I would if I had a high grade. Maybe he will or maybe he won't, we will have to wait and see

Who said anything about him being like Tom Brady? And why can’t he be himself. Do we always have to try to find a comparison verses just letting them

I think he's going to be a more athletic Schaub.

Burrow like.

Nobody knows what Mills will become.

What we do know is the ol last year wasn't good and he didn't have many weapons to work with. As well as being a very inexperienced QB.

He actually looked like the best rookie QB of the bunch to me and has alot of room for growth.

BTW, for those that can tell the future give me Saturday nights power ball numbers.

What we do know is the ol last year wasn't good and he didn't have many weapons to work with. As well as being a very inexperienced QB.
When I say the OL wasn't good last year I'm speaking more in terms of run blocking.

As far as pass blocking I don't think they were so bad as to hinder Mills development

When I say the OL wasn't good last year I'm speaking more in terms of run blocking.

As far as pass blocking I don't think they were so bad as to hinder Mills development

I think they were avg at best at pass blocking. It's just that th run blocking was so bad that the pass blocking looked better than it really was.

Evaluate the pass blocking against the NFC west last year. Not so much the Chargers/Jags etc...

Evaluate the pass blocking against the NFC west last year. Not so much the Chargers/Jags etc...
Again I think your reasoning for why our OL was bad & my reasoning is far apart.

I don't know how to compare our OL to those teams when we have a different line up every four weeks & a rookie just learning the "system" calling protection.

Again I think your reasoning for why our OL was bad & my reasoning is far apart.

I don't know how to compare our OL to those teams when we have a different line up every four weeks & a rookie just learning the "system" calling protection.

How does this explain the 2020 season?

It doesn't, you had a vet QB that struggled with the same issues, or might it be a talent issue?

Last edited:
How does this explain the 2020 season?

It doesn't, you had a vet QB that struggled with the same issues, or might it be a talent issue?
That's the guy you said wasn't smart enough to read defenses & call protection. & he liked to hold the ball too long.

Same as I've been saying. I don't know what the issue was, but there are several possible reasons talent only being one of them.

I don't think drafting a Tackle is going to help run the ball any better.

You do realize Neal was a very good OG.

When Howard is gone Neal can slip out to RT or as some wish Tunsil is traded to LT.

The interior line needs improvement in a major way.
Stick Neal and Green on the right side and play Cann at LG.

A much improved OL

This will never happen

Wanna fix the offense realizing that you can work on the defense next yr.

Rd.1 Neal
Rd.1 Jameson Williams
Rd.2 Woods
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Zamir White

Speed/protection/weaponary, a threat to score each time one of these guys touch the ball. But we are going to have to wait another yr to see if Howard is worth 15 mil per yr or if Heck can play. I bet that Mills would look like a top 10-12 QB with this protection/weaponary and if he didn't start looking for a QB in next yrs draft.

Last edited:

A much improved OL

This will never happen

Rd.1 Neal
Rd.1 Jameson Williams
Rd.2 Woods
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Zamir White

Speed/protection/weaponary, a threat to score each time one of these guys touch the ball. But we are going to have to wait another yr to see if Howard is worth 15 mil per yr or if Heck can play. I bet that Mills would look like a top 10-12 QB with this protection/weaponary and if he didn't start looking for a QB in next yrs draft.

Next years draft will have:

Jason Kirkland OT Washington 6’7 310 lbs.
Zion Nelson OT Miami 6’5 316 lbs.

So you will be able to replace those players if it came down to it. We will have two first round picks next year as well. Therefore it will not be the end of the world if we do not draft the offensive linemen you want in this years draft. Get a true natural Offensive Guard in the second round. Then draft a lineman who can move around to different positions later on in the draft.

We can not ignore the fact that we couldn’t stop a nose bleed in the past 3 season. Teams were running all over our defense. The darn Titans and Colts have massive running attacks. The secondary was just as worse. Therefore, with our first two picks, I’m going defense. That’s even if we trade back that number three pick.

So you will be able to replace those players if it came down to it. We will have two first round picks next year as well. Therefore it will not be the end of the world if we do not draft the offensive linemen you want in this years draft. Get a true natural Offensive Guard in the second round. Then draft a lineman who can move around to different positions later on in the draft.

We can not ignore the fact that we couldn’t stop a nose bleed in the past 3 season. Teams were running all over our defense. The darn Titans and Colts have massive running attacks. The secondary was just as worse. Therefore, with our first two picks, I’m going defense. That’s even if we trade back that number three pick.

Agreed about running all over them.

The guys you listed aren't nearly as good as Neal/Cross.

But if you want I would be OK with drafting Sauce at #3.

Might as well go defense. Much easier to pick .... all you have to do is pick great individuals .... not so much emphasis on compatibility. They should be a well seasoned unit when we do get around to selecting offensive players. Then we wait several years for them to learn/understand all the nuanced BS that comes with multiple offensive schemes .... why, it's just around the corner !

A much improved OL

This will never happen

Rd.1 Neal
Rd.1 Jameson Williams
Rd.2 Woods
Rd.3 Salyer
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Zamir White

The only Woods I find is Jelani Woods, TE? Projected as a mid-3rd round.

Here's something strange. Salyer is profiled as the 3rd best OG with a grade of 85. Kinnard is profiled as the 9th best OT with a grade of 80. However, this same draft publication, on their big board Top 332, has Salyer ranked at #88. BUT... they have Kinnard ranked as a Guard, not a Tackle, at #74, 11 spots higher than Salyer. So if Salyer has a grade of 85, what grade would Kinnard have if graded as an OG.

Here's something strange. Salyer is profiled as the 3rd best OG with a grade of 85. Kinnard is profiled as the 9th best OT with a grade of 80. However, this same draft publication, on their big board Top 332, has Salyer ranked at #88. BUT... they have Kinnard ranked as a Guard, not a Tackle, at #74, 11 spots higher than Salyer. So if Salyer has a grade of 85, what grade would Kinnard have if graded as an OG.

I've got Woods as the top TE in the draft. Followed by Dulcich.

I've got Salyer rated as a top 40 player. Kinnard might be a great OG but we dont know this.

I just looked up on PFF .... says they both played right tackle in school, but then said that Salyer was strictly an interior guy .... at 6'3" and 6'5" - they'd be about 650 lbs of mean on the right side !

Probably.

Today, I just received my go to draft profiles. An earlier assessment was that Johnson was a better fit in an outside zone scheme rather than a power scheme. Today's profile has him with a draft grade of 90, equal to Green; and that he would fit well in any blocking scheme. Says he tested better at the Combine than expected and gives him a Blue Chip evaluation.
As I posted elsewhere from Sports Illustrated:

"the NFL, Johnson projects as an immediate starter at guard in nearly any offense. He has the movement skills to execute Reach and Scoop blocks and climb to the second level in a Zone offense. But he also has the raw strength and power to excel in a Man-Gap scheme, along with the
Probably.

Today, I just received my go to draft profiles. An earlier assessment was that Johnson was a better fit in an outside zone scheme rather than a power scheme. Today's profile has him with a draft grade of 90, equal to Green; and that he would fit well in any blocking scheme. Says he tested better at the Combine than expected and gives him a Blue Chip evaluation.

The two guards flying up draft boards the fastest right now are Luke Goedeke of Central Michigan and Josh Ezeudu from North Carolina.

Multiple sources tell me Goedeke could land in the early part of Round 2, as teams like him as a flex lineman who can play either guard spot, center, or tackle. Goedeke is drawing a lot of interest from the Jaguars, Houston Texans, New York Giants, and Chicago Bears.”

I actually like Goedeke, but I don’t know if I’d spend #37 on him.
Link to the article

The two guards flying up draft boards the fastest right now are Luke Goedeke of Central Michigan and Josh Ezeudu from North Carolina.

Multiple sources tell me Goedeke could land in the early part of Round 2, as teams like him as a flex lineman who can play either guard spot, center, or tackle. Goedeke is drawing a lot of interest from the Jaguars, Houston Texans, New York Giants, and Chicago Bears.”

I actually like Goedeke, but I don’t know if I’d spend #37 on him.
Link to the article

No small school ol this yr.

Reactions: JB
Max Scharping
Lane Taylor
A.J. Cann
Sam Cooper
Justin McCray
Jake Eldrenkamp

These are the OG's I currently find on the roster. Do any of these deserve to be thought of as a starter on opening day? Is anyone comfortable with any one of these being a starter to improve our running game?

Almost all the discussion, not all but almost all, center around drafting an OT and moving him to OG, temporarily, to improve our OL. Is this really the way to go?

Do any of these deserve to be thought of as a starter on opening day? Is anyone comfortable with any one of these being a starter to improve our running game?
I don't know about "deserve" but healthy AJ Cann & McCray have been starters.

I have no problem with one of them starting.

Well, Cann anyway. McCray was hurt all last year & the season before, I believe, can't imagine any reason he's still on the roster unless they feel really good about him.

Back