Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Upgrading Offensive Line via Draft

PFF just came out with the OL rankings. According to them we’re ranked at 27. This is what they have to say:

27. HOUSTON TEXANS (DOWN 5)
Best-graded: T Marcus Cannon | 65.9
Worst-graded: G Tytus Howard | 40.6

This far down the list, every line has some serious weak links. Justin McCray has played 239 snaps for the Texans this season, earning a lowly 21.1 PFF pass-blocking grade. Four of the six linemen with the most snaps have run-blocking grades below 60.0, including Laremy Tunsil. The Texans' line has been largely passable in pass protection, but the weak spots have been bad enough to undo the work done by the other members of the unit.”

Who are you eyeing in the draft to help us improve?

If we gain another 1st rounder (whether it’s trading DW or trading back), I’d look at K. Green iOL or even adding T. Linderbaum. Both would massively upgrade the interior of our line.

N. Petite-Frere, D. Faalele, or T. Penning are tackles that I’m watching as well.

In the later rounds, I like N. Ford or Alex Lindstrom for iOL.

Ricky Stromberg and Zion Johnson are 2 guys I really like.

My late rd guys are N. Ford and Cade Mays.

Man…..I’d be pretty happy if the Texans could exit the 2022 NFL Draft with OG’s Kenyon Green (A&M) and Zion Johnson (BC). In all reality….I think the Texans could get C- Ricky Stromberg (ARK) or C- James Empy (BYU) within the same draft without much sacrifice in doing so.

Man…..I’d be pretty happy if the Texans could exit the 2022 NFL Draft with OG’s Kenyon Green (A&M) and Zion Johnson (BC). In all reality….I think the Texans could get C- Ricky Stromberg (ARK) or C- James Empy (BYU) within the same draft without much sacrifice in doing so.

This is such a great defensive draft, I hope Caserio drafts defensive cornerstones in rds 1-2 0f the draft and Stromberg falls to 3-2. Kramer the C out of Illinois is another late rd guy I like alot.

This is such a great defensive draft, I hope Caserio drafts defensive cornerstones in rds 1-2 0f the draft and Stromberg falls to 3-2. Kramer the C out of Illinois is another late rd guy I like alot.
I agree with the excellent defensive draft. It’ll be interesting to see how the board falls.

I would like to address the OL at some point in the draft and maybe add a few FAs if possible.

The key to addressing the 26th ranking is trading DW4 in order to get the best defensive player with 1a and the select best OL with 1b. The reason for the 26th ranking can be seen in our OL draft history

Last edited:
The key to addressing the 26th ranking is trading DW4 in order to get the best defensive player with 1a and the select best OL with 1b. The reason for the 26th ranking can be seen in our OL draft history
Honestly, I could see NC go defense/OL or double up on defense if we get an additional 1st rounder for a DW4 trade.

I could even see a scenario where we trade back from #2 to gain even more draft capital (I could see the Giants wanting to jump the Jags/Jets for Neal).

I agree with the excellent defensive draft. It’ll be interesting to see how the board falls.

I would like to address the OL at some point in the draft and maybe add a few FAs if possible.

If Caserio could draft say, Hutchinson in rd. 1, then draft Zion Johnson at 2-34 then draft Stromberg at 3-66 I would be very happy.

If a CB fell into the 2nd that a really liked I would trade the Saints pick and 4-1 to move up and draft a guy like Kendrick/McCready etc... Once again quality over quantity.

Fix the OL and trade up to fill the CB spot after drafting a great player at 1-2.

Some would rather trade down, which I wouldn't be opposed to in the 1st rd. But I'm picking the best player to help build the OL or a 1st rd CB that falls at 2-34. Then using the Saints pick/4th to move back into the 2nd to make sure I get a early starting level OG.

Max Mitchell Louisiana
Bernhard Raimann

Has anyone heard anything about these 2 guys? I’ve heard a little bit of chatter, and they sound like that could be great finds in the middle rounds. They’re both Jrs, so it’s not a guarantee that they come out.

If a CB fell into the 2nd that a really liked I would trade the Saints pick and 4-1 to move up and draft a guy like Kendrick/McCready etc... Once again quality over quantity.
The Texans traded their 4th round pick to Carolina last draft, to move up and take Nico Collins. They have the Rams 4th round pick (late in the round) from the Cooks deal. If the Texans want to trade back into the 2nd, they'll have to use both of their 3rd round picks.

The Texans traded their 4th round pick to Carolina last draft, to move up and take Nico Collins. They have the Rams 4th round pick (late in the round) from the Cooks deal. If the Texans want to trade back into the 2nd, they'll have to use both of their 3rd round picks.

Did not realize this.

Did not realize this.
There's still so much up in the air. We don't know what the Texans will get for Watson, or if he's even traded prior to the draft. We don't know if the Texans take their pick in the 1st, or move down for extra picks. Then there's who will declare, the combine, all star games (I think the Texans might coach at the Senior Bowl), and pro days. At this point, it's probably more useful to just identify players we like rather than get real specific.

Speaking of the Senior Bowl, FCS Chattanooga's OG Cole Strange has received an invitation to the all star game in Mobile. Strange is a 4 year starter at 6'6" 301 lbs and may have the length to move out to RT in the pros.

UTCFOOTBALL_ColeStrange.png

There's still so much up in the air. We don't know what the Texans will get for Watson, or if he's even traded prior to the draft. We don't know if the Texans take their pick in the 1st, or move down for extra picks. Then there's who will declare, the combine, all star games (I think the Texans might coach at the Senior Bowl), and pro days. At this point, it's probably more useful to just identify players we like rather than get real specific.

Agreed

I didn't realize the Texans didn't have 4-1.

Unfortunately because of Derrick's situation we have no idea how the draft will turn out. Derrick screwed this franchise about as bad as a person possibly could. Atleast 1 good thing should come out of this, there will be no more NTC's

I’m noticing more Mock’s now have DE, Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan) going to Texans.

If you had the choice between Thibodeaux or Hutchinson who would you pick?

I’m going AD.

I’m noticing more Mock’s now have DE, Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan) going to Texans.

If you had the choice between Thibodeaux or Hutchinson who would you pick?

I’m going AD.
I've been very disappointed in Thibodaux since I focused on him in game 1. Part of that was his injury and I was willing to make adjustments for that. Even though he got two sacks against Washington State he seemed to be pretty well schemed against again after Washington University did the same thing. Sacks are important but I am also looking at quarterback hurries and pressures. As we learned with j.j. watt it is good for a player to take up two or sometimes three blockers but that is only good if you have someone else who can step up and impact the play. It would be sort of like having a shutdown corner on one side and Phillip Buchanon on the other.

On my current mock with no trades including Watson I have Hutchison going 1 and Rodger McCreary cornerback going round 2. I take safety Redshirt sophomore verone McKinley in round 3 and running back Brian Robinson in round four knowing that those last two probably gone by those pics.

One of those mornings. My wife is stateside with our daughter and has called me almost every night at around 0230 to chat. Last night I couldn’t fall back to sleep before the sun peaked in the window after 6 gray days in a row.

AH….I meant AH and corrected my post. I just had to laugh JB.

Reactions: JB
When it comes to OL, the Combine IMO does more for this position group than any other. For me the measurables and the drills in particular help identify the better lineman. The measurables show the stronger, faster, quicker OL. The drills you can see who are more athletic. When people say the Combine is not that important, well it is for me and I am sure for a few OL coaches and scouts would agree. So I'll be checking in more during and after the Combine.

Last edited:
When it comes to OL the Combine, IMO this does more for this position group than any other. For me the measurables and the drills in particular help identify the better lineman. The measurables show the stronger, faster, quicker OL. The drills you can see who are more athletic. When people say the Combine is not that important, well it is for me and I am sure for a few OL coaches and scouts. So I'll be checking in more during and after the Combine.

Yep,

And the more athletic guys are usually the best ol.

Small school, Terron Armstead blows up the combine and is now the Saints starting LT for the next decade.

On the other hand a guy like Howard puts up avg at best numbers and we see how that's turning out.

I thought it was laughable that fans thought a guy with Howard's athletic profile could play LT. I still laugh when just this yr I read him saying that he could play anywhere along the ol. Yeah, he can suck anywhere along the ol.

Yep,

And the more athletic guys are usually the best ol.

Small school, Terron Armstead blows up the combine and is now the Saints starting LT for the next decade.

On the other hand a guy like Howard puts up avg at best numbers and we see how that's turning out.

I thought it was laughable that fans thought a guy with Howard's athletic profile could play LT. I still laugh when just this yr I read him saying that he could play anywhere along the ol. Yeah, he can suck anywhere along the ol.
Some laughed at me for going all in on Quinn Meinerz last year but his measurables are some of the best, he's strong, fast and quick. Last year there was no Combine because of Covid but you could see how athletic Meinerz was from his performances at the Senior Bowl. He was better than all of the DL.

When it comes to OL, the Combine IMO does more for this position group than any other. For me the measurables and the drills in particular help identify the better lineman. The measurables show the stronger, faster, quicker OL. The drills you can see who are more athletic. When people say the Combine is not that important, well it is for me and I am sure for a few OL coaches and scouts would agree. So I'll be checking in more during and after the Combine.
While I agree with you for the most part, it’s not always the case. Orlando Brown out of Oklahoma did horrible at the combine and proved that he’s decent despite the numbers.

Some laughed at me for going all in on Quinn Meinerz last year but his measurables are some of the best, he's strong, fast and quick. Last year there was no Combine because of Covid but you could see how athletic Meinerz was from his performances at the Senior Bowl. He was better than all of the DL.

For the record I loved Meinerz too.

Question on trade value charting:
Let's say you trade down in the 1st, and you are to receive a 1st the following year. What is the point value for that future pick? For example, the 1/16 pick is 1000 points. If you push this pick to the following year, is it valued at only 430 points? This seems impracticable low to me. More practically to me it seems you might value the future pick at 2/33, which would be 580 points.

Reid will likely not be resigning with the Texans. He will be one of the top rated S in free agency and the Texans will receive a 3rd round compensatory pick. Will this pick be in 2022 or 2023?

Reid will likely not be resigning with the Texans. He will be one of the top rated S in free agency and the Texans will receive a 3rd round compensatory pick. Will this pick be in 2022 or 2023?
What if they franchise him?

Question on trade value charting:
Let's say you trade down in the 1st, and you are to receive a 1st the following year. What is the point value for that future pick? For example, the 1/16 pick is 1000 points. If you push this pick to the following year, is it valued at only 430 points? This seems impracticable low to me. More practically to me it seems you might value the future pick at 2/33, which would be 580 points.

…..funny thing, in 2023 that same pick would be worth 1,000 points. Team injuries or FA could change the value of that pick in the next draft tremendously. It’s just another asset for the future.

…..funny thing, in 2023 that same pick would be worth 1,000 points. Team injuries or FA could change the value of that pick in the next draft tremendously. It’s just another asset for the future.
The point is, you have to assign a value that is generally accepted, for the bargaining process, at least as a starting point.

Googling, I found that value is often the value of #1/32 of the current year. Then on top of this will be additional compensation to make up any point differential.

The point is, you have to assign a value that is generally accepted, for the bargaining process, at least as a starting point.

Googling, I found that value is often the value of #1/32 of the current year. Then on top of this will be additional compensation to make up any point differential.

Do you think Casserly, Smith, and/or OB had any idea this point system even existed? Their trades always seemed like they were operating from a different point system….you know, 1 for you and 2 or maybe even 3 for me.

Texans seem to value the Senior Bowl above all else, especially when own coaching staff working East squad because they just pulled off one of the worst seasons in the NFL. God save the Texans :fostering:

The future pick is worth less than what the chart says because in theory the highly drafted player should help his team have a better record. Therefore lowering the value of the future pick.

Franchise him with a 2nd round tender & trade him for a 2nd. Or however that works
I’d be open to tagging him with a 2nd round tender. I think a few teams my be interested in that.
There is no 2nd round tender with a franchise tag. It's either a exclusive tag, where no other team can make an offer, or a non-exclusive tag, where another team can sign the tagged player to an offer sheet. If the team that tags the player does not match the offer sheet, they receive (2) 1st round picks.

Tenders are for players with 3 accrued seasons and an expired contract. They are restricted free agents. Reid is a 4 year veteran and will be an unrestricted free agent at the start of the 2022 league year.

I have been high on Linderbaum from the get go but the immediate reaction is "he's too small..."
Funny, because he is very similar to Jason Kelce in size. This all because he is under (just!) 300 pounds. The criticism is funny in another regard too - as he has been labeled "elite" in pass and run pro!
I bet he could build more muscle mass in a professional organization licketty split.
He will be there at #13 for Texans, but a move back will still likely land him around the #19 mark as well.

Back