Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Updated Roster (Post-Draft)

In 2013, Bullock was perfect under 40 yards, but was one of the worst in the league over 40.

In 2014, Bullock was one of the worst at under 40, but was one of the best over 40.

I have no idea what to make of this guy?

Seems like everyone is forgetting about PRACTICE. Bullock may be stinking it up where only O'Brien (and no media or fans) is there to appreciate it. His practice may be be worse that his game performances, or at least a preview of what has been happening, for O'brien to be making the try outs move.

Has anyone ever seen OB watch a field goal attempt? I remember watching one of the games on TV, Randy boinked it off the upright & they showed OB turning to look, as if he wasn't already looking.

I thought Boswell was good enough to get drafted the year he came out of Rice. I think he's definitely better than Bullock and I would make that switch in a second.

He also doesn't have a job anywhere right now, so maybe everyone else just knows more than me.

Has anyone ever seen OB watch a field goal attempt? I remember watching one of the games on TV, Randy boinked it off the upright & they showed OB turning to look, as if he wasn't already looking.

I saw him mouth "WTF, Randy" after he missed his EP vs TB. A lot of times, I think, the coach might be discussing other things or talking to his coordinators, QB's, whatever and not paying attention to the FG. I don't think he does what Kubiak used to do.

In 2013, Bullock was perfect under 40 yards, but was one of the worst in the league over 40.

In 2014, Bullock was one of the worst at under 40, but was one of the best over 40.

Inconsistent at best.

He's probably done in the NFL.

Adam Wexler@awexler
Since 2010, 39 kickers with at least 50 FGM. Bullock among the 8 worst that made < 81%. Novak ranked 14th (86.3%). Bullock also last in XP %.

Novak led league in highest %age of KOs returned in '14 & '13. #Texans def/sp. teams 28th in KR return avg in '15. 25th in '14, 28th in '13​

Last edited:

My son kicked in high school and there's a certain amount of stage fright that you either get over and learn to block it out or you can't IMO . It's a huge step each time you move up a level and the kids with big legs end up kicking off but not kicking FGs . Randy's inconsistency may mean he needs to step back and regroup .

Last edited:
This bothers me, even though it was early on. He supposedly onside kicked because he thought that was the coach's call (mixed up the call by using last year's signal).............but his line was not in onside position. I hope he's since gotten smarter

Chargers onside kick late in Chiefs game was an accident
By
Joel Thorman Oct 2, 2012, 5:40p

This article speaks about his "purposeful" variations on depth of his kicks to keep opponents on their toes. But this was because he had a team with excellent coverage players. I wonder if this actually accounts for the decreased number of out of EZ kicks/touch backs. I hope so............and not just a great coverage team covering up his deficiences.........because there's no such animal on this team at the moment.
Chargers put funk into kickoff coverage

By
Tom Krasovic | 7 a.m. Sept. 17, 2014

Last edited:
No tears for Bullock... it is what it is, but I wonder if they had footage of the snap & hold before they made their decision. I know Lechler ain't going anywhere, even if he did screw up the hold. & we just extended Weeks. But surely they looked right?

No tears for Bullock... it is what it is, but I wonder if they had footage of the snap & hold before they made their decision. I know Lechler ain't going anywhere, even if he did screw up the hold. & we just extended Weeks. But surely they looked right?
Well of course they have footage. If I have it they've got it. On the PAT, everything looked perfect. The snap was good, the hold was good, you could see the laces facing the goalpost. Lechler didn't even have to turn the ball to get the laces out. If anything the ball leans a little toward Lechler but looking at other kicks in just this game, that's how he was holding all of them. Randy just shanked it.

These guys get recycled all the time. He has a strong leg, I'd bet on seeing him somewhere again.

Guys that have had SOME sustained success tend to get recycled. Randy may get another gig or get done tryouts, but I wouldn't bet on that.

He's been extremely inconsistent his entire career. That's especially bad for a kicker.

I hope Novak does well than Randy as I do not want to hold my breath every time for extra points.
Well, if I remember the post correctly, somebody here mentioned that there have been 14 missed PAT's this season, and Randy was the only one to miss two. That means of the other 31 teams kickers, 12 of them, or almost 40%, have missed a PAT in the first three games. While the percentage of success on an individual kick will remain high, I'm guessing it won't be long until comfortably over half of all NFL teams have missed one or more PAT's this season. By seasons end, you'll likely be able to count the kickers who are perfect at it on one hand, and have a finger or two to spare.

With the exception of a those few teams with elite kickers, I don't think fans anywhere can be oblivious to the increased chance of a failed extra point conversion. Randy Bullock obviously isn't one of those elite kickers, but I'm gonna guess Nick Novak's not either.

Last edited:
Well, if I remember the post correctly, somebody here mentioned that there have been 14 missed PAT's this season, and Randy was the only one to miss two. That means of the other 31 teams kickers, 12 of them, or almost 40%, have missed a PAT in the first three games. While the percentage of success on an individual kick will remain high, I'm guessing it won't be long until comfortably over half of all NFL teams have missed one or more PAT's this season. By seasons end, you'll likely be able to count the kickers who are perfect at it on one hand, and have a finger or two to spare.

With the exception of a those few teams with elite kickers, I don't think fans anywhere can be oblivious to the increased chance of a failed extra point conversion. Randy Bullock obviously isn't one of those elite kickers, but I'm gonna guess Nick Novak's not either.
Of course no team wants to decrease their chances. What I wanted to know is that he is 34 years old and he is FA for a reason. What I am hoping is one that replace Novak was really good and the team had to let him go but he is still good enough for other kicker needy team. I am not much familiar with decline production of Kicker's age and I hope, decline production is not the reason of becoming FA. Now, Punter Shane is rare and exceptional breed so he doesn't count. But what I am talking about is in general. On the contrary, he is a vet and able to stay a long time in the NFL so that is a plus.

I don't know if Novak is good or not. Doesn't really matter right now. The one thing they can't do is keep a kicker that misses kicks on a frequent basis.

If Novak comes in missing a bunch of kicks he'll get released too.

Adam Wexler@awexler
Since 2010, 39 kickers with at least 50 FGM. Bullock among the 8 worst that made < 81%. Novak ranked 14th (86.3%). Bullock also last in XP %.

Novak led league in highest %age of KOs returned in '14 & '13. #Texans def/sp. teams 28th in KR return avg in '15. 25th in '14, 28th in '13​

Just going to say, look at the game logs his rookie year in 2013. Did not miss a single kick second half of the year. Too many people look at career stats over 35 games and say he has sucked the whole time. Reality is that Bullock was an above average kicker since that home Indy loss his rookie year. But stats say what we want them to say to make our talking points. Fat Randy will have a job in this league.

Just going to say, look at the game logs his rookie year in 2013. Did not miss a single kick second half of the year. Too many people look at career stats over 35 games and say he has sucked the whole time. Reality is that Bullock was an above average kicker since that home Indy loss his rookie year. But stats say what we want them to say to make our talking points. Fat Randy will have a job in this league.

He missed 9 kicks that year.

That's not career stats. That's just from that year.

Also, you look at a portion of a season vs taking into account his body of work. That's what I'd call looking at stats to get them to say what you want. We're talking about essentially a two year career here. It's not like he missed a bunch of kicks in his first few games and that skewed his stats from a 10 year career that was otherwise solid. The most games in a row that he's gone without missing a kick is 8. And that is going from the end of one season into the next.

Let's not forget his actual rookie season he was on IR. He looked ok in pre season that year though he did miss 1 kick out of the four he kicked.

And really what he did his rookie year isn't relevant to what he was doing this year. The guy is 60% on extra points this year through three games. He's inconsistent. You don't even need stats to see that.

Last edited:
Novak's "body of work" isn't much better than Bullock's. Randy may have needed to go, but I'm not sure Novak is the guy who should be replacing him. Kickoffs have already been mentioned, either in this thread or the other one, and that will be a big issue with this team. And extra points included, which are now basically 33 yard FGs, Bullock is 85% for his career from 30-39 yards. Novak is 77.5% in his career from that distance.

The Texans may have jumped the gun on this one. Not that I think Bullock should have stayed, but just because what's out there that's better? What's out there that improves the position? Nick Novak?

He missed 9 kicks that year.

That's not career stats. That's just from that year.

Also, you look at a portion of a season vs taking into account his body of work. That's what I'd call looking at stats to get them to say what you want. We're talking about essentially a two year career here. It's not like he missed a bunch of kicks in his first few games and that skewed his stats from a 10 year career that was otherwise solid. The most games in a row that he's gone without missing a kick is 8. And that is going from the end of one season into the next.

Let's not forget his actual rookie season he was on IR. He looked ok in pre season that year though he did miss 1 kick out of the four he kicked.

And really what he did his rookie year isn't relevant to what he was doing this year. The guy is 60% on extra points this year through three games. He's inconsistent. You don't even need stats to see that.

In the first half of 2013/Rookie year or whatever you want to call it, Kubiak trotted him out 21 times and 15 were FGA's of greater than 40 yards. He was at 61% at that point in the season. That is an abnormally high number of long FG's even for an experienced kicker, much less a rookie. Three of the first four FGA's in his NFL career were 50+ attempts. He trailed only Vinatieri from the Colts (by ONE) in 40+ FGA's that year.

Since the Indy home loss in 2013, spanning 27 games, he has been hitting FG's at an 88% rate. Last year he was one made FG away from being in the top 7 kickers in the league. So yes, you can point to a portion of a rookie season (8 games) where inexperience and bad coaching decisions created a statistical outlier that does not line up with his performance over a period three times as long. There is a narrative going around that he was consistently bad at FGA's during his entire time here and that simply wasn't true. The miss on Sunday was his first in 7 games going back to last season.

And my response was not about XPA's. It was about a poorly constructed tweet by Adam Wexler trying to use FG stats to make his point about why Fat Randy was cut. It's lazy journalism. He got the yips on XPA's and you could see that it got in his head. OB lost confidence in him and sent a message to the team. I have no problem with OB's actions at all. As has been pointed out by someone else, you can see Brad Lidge post-Pujols written all over him. But he wasn't cut because he couldn't consistently make FGA's.

Zac Dysert back to PS (no word on corresponding move, I had the team at 10 PS players)

Kourtnei Brown back to Active Roster (team had an open spot)

PDS @PatDStat
Roster moves. #Texans Signed Kourtnei Brown Signed Brian Peters.​

Peters 6'4", 235 was with Vikings until final cutdown. Played college ball at Northwestern and pro in CFL.

"Athletic, can run, hard worker, help on STs and more."--OB

Peters spent time with the Vikings during training camp and appeared in four games racking up 8 tackles, two pass deflections and two interceptions.

Last edited:

Wasn't KB the one that was featured to not hold the edge on HK?​

Yes. He mainly played SAM during the preseason and the SAM's main priority is to set the edge. Kourtnei cared more about getting sacks and making a name for himself and kept running upfield trying to rush the passer and completely vacating his gap and getting us gashed on runs off tackle.

Yes. He mainly played SAM during the preseason and the SAM's main priority is to set the edge. Kourtnei cared more about getting sacks and making a name for himself and kept running upfield trying to rush the passer and completely vacating his gap and getting us gashed on runs off tackle.
I actually have some KB video to that effect...

Our olb's are underwhelming. I know Watt is amazing. Still, he plays inside a bunch. We need more edge pressure besides clowney almost getting there.

Our olb's are underwhelming. I know Watt is amazing. Still, he plays inside a bunch. We need more edge pressure besides clowney almost getting there.

I know people will go crazy over this but why not play Watt at OLB atleast in some packages. Mercilous is just another brooks reed. Good at everything not great at anything. We need more pressure from our OLB'S. Watt is definitely athletic enough and it would eliminate him getting double and triple teamed so much. Hell if nothing else line up in a 4/3 with watt at DE and Clowney at OLB beside him. That way there is an extra DL for the OL to have to focus on. We have the horses on defense but don't seem to have the creativity to put them in the right spots to take advantage of them. Crennels adjustments have been the biggest disappointment of the season for me.

Back