Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Updated Roster (Post-Draft)

DL Steven Means has been placed on the PS. At 6'3" 263, probably will be used as OLB. He was a 2013 5th round Bucs pick, who played in 10 games. Then was waived and picked up last October to the Ravens PS. The Raven supposedly considered him a pass rusher to watch this summer. But he suffered a groin injury in the Ravens' preseason opener. He was waived on Sept. 2, following an injury settlement.

So, at least on its surface, it looks like we've picked a young potential pass rusher, who is coming off of and has not played since he suffered a groin injury......and in playing in 10 NFL games, has not sniffed a single sack. Just hope we haven't just collected another sports hernia patient.

Guess Mancz finally moving to IR, he can't get over the injury.
Wouldn't surprise me that Mancz ends up under the knife for a knee re-injury, the original injury that cost him the last 3 games of 2014.

I find it strange that Kush is listed as a center-guard in that he has never played guard in either college or in the NFL. In college he only temporarily played RT at a marginal level until he was moved to center. I guess by the Texans labeling him as a center-guard, it gives the illusion that we are attaining a "versatile" player.

Wouldn't surprise me that Mancz ends up under the knife for a knee re-injury, the original injury that cost him the last 3 games of 2014.

I find it strange that Kush is listed as a center-guard in that he has never played guard in either college or in the NFL. In college he only temporarily played RT at a marginal level until he was moved to center. I guess by the Texans labeling him as a center-guard, it gives the illusion that we are attaining a "versatile" player.

Multiple. It's all the rage now...

Guess Mancz finally moving to IR, he can't get over the injury.
Another thought that comes to mind, besides Mancz's status, is that in the past 2 injury reports, Ben Jones has been first listed as a "toe" (that just doesn't go away in 1 week) and a "thumb." It appears the Texans have got to have some sort of a backup plan.

He shows to have played/been active for 3 games for KC in 2013. And in April 2015 he was slated to be the starting Center for KC before he lost the job and was released. Short stints with TB & Carolina this year.

Roster update:
Texans sign QB Weeden.

We now have 2 Cleveland Browns QBs on roster.

Weeden+as+a+kid.jpg

B1Agph-IEAA3bBq.jpg

One more

STILL-A-BETTER-vqgvvu.jpg

This does beg the question: who really wanted Rolle over James III oiginally? As a long time supporter of Rick Smith, I do not understand fighting for Rolle as the 6th Cb over JamesIII (who clearly brought intangibles, flexibility, and the best special teams production since 2010)... But I am pretty sure that Rick Smith mad that call... And it was very likely against the wishes of BOb.

This does beg the question: who really wanted Rolle over James III oiginally? As a long time supporter of Rick Smith, I do not understand fighting for Rolle as the 6th Cb over JamesIII (who clearly brought intangibles, flexibility, and the best special teams production since 2010)... But I am pretty sure that Rick Smith mad that call... And it was very likely against the wishes of BOb.

31 James II, Charles DB 5-9 179 25 2 Charleston Southern

:coffee:

According to Hard Knocks episode, O'Brien made the call to go with Rolle over James. It appeared Rick Smith favored James. O'Brien wanted to go with the "longer guy".

You really don't understand the idea of consensus decision making. The back and forth only reminded OB of what the off season game plan was. Get longer! The particulars of the two individuals made that plan more difficult and they tried to arrange a trade to avoid the decision. But in the end, they stuck with the game plan rather than the gut instinct. It was a decision made jointly, not a fight between them.

According to Hard Knocks episode, O'Brien made the call to go with Rolle over James. It appeared Rick Smith favored James. O'Brien wanted to go with the "longer guy".

It was exactly the other way around. OB saw benefits of having James on ST and having quickness. RS talked him into thinking that Rolle is the better DB because of his length advantage. In the end they both agreed to go with the "better DB."

It was exactly the other way around. OB saw benefits of having James on ST and having quickness. RS talked him into thinking that Rolle is the better DB because of his length advantage. In the end they both agreed to go with the "better DB."

When I was watching that discussion on Hard Knocks, I commented to my wife that it seemed "forced" or "staged"... I had no idea how right I was at the time. I'm fairly certain, now, that there was a pretty heated conversation away from the camera that would have been much more interesting.

I guess maybe some should stop using him as the poster child for GMs then. He has followed a lot of Texans moves and players over the last 8 or so years.

Think that the whole GM thing is a lottery half the time, with lucky happenstance being the biggest contribution to roster success.

Think that the whole GM thing is a lottery half the time, with lucky happenstance being the biggest contribution to roster success.

Tried to tell people this for years. Baltimore paid more than us and for good results from Leach and Jones. Look at Kubiak.- one year with the team, Flacco's best year. Gone, Flacco is back to dust.

You need an overpowering persona like Landry or Belichick or you're relying on a lot of luck.

You've got to have that persona or everything has to come together just right. The overriding persona will get you a dynasty. Comming together just right will get you a Lombardi if you're lucky.

And I saw Rick merely point out that OB's game plan coming into camp was to go longer and OB CHOOSING to agree to use that to make the tough choice.

It's not easy to go against the trend to make room for the exceptional athlete that bucks the trend. I love what he can and does do, but when we face the longer sure handed receivers on teams with accurate passers, his shortcomings will be revealed. Hopefully the coaches are able to game plan around his weaknesses and fully utilize his strengths.

Not the way I remember it. I'll have to go back and watch it again. In the end I remember it being O'Brien's final decision on the 53 man roster after Smith couldn't get a trade for Rolle.

**Just re-watched it**

Final decision from O'Brien..."Let's go with the length, like we set out to do by getting faster & longer. If it comes down to the two of them, let's go with Role." Smith concurs.

They clearly wanted both players on the initial roster, both O'Brien & Smith were split on the two players. They agreed to stick with their plan. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. The one line that differs is what Rick Smith says "Rolle is a better DB."

We can spin this either way. It was a group decision.

Last edited:
Akeem Hunt Weekness: Lacks vision and instincts to be consistent runner on stretch plays. Surprising lack of creativity as a runner. Won't turn short runs into long ones with wiggle in the open field.

Great, a shorter, lighter Alfred Blue.

What were you expecting? The second coming of Earl Campbell?

Akeem Hunt Weekness: Lacks vision and instincts to be consistent runner on stretch plays. Surprising lack of creativity as a runner. Won't turn short runs into long ones with wiggle in the open field.

With a 4.36 40, he was considered a scat back in college, and probably most dangerous on screen plays (I know, here with the Texans, what is that?) after the catch. But his reputation was to go down too easily with any contact. BTW, he did pretty well on kick returns.

Hunt is nothing like Blue. Much better athlete who can contribute in the return game. More of a scat back while Blue is an early down plodder.

Maybe 2 QBs in Wildcat.

Depth for Shorts groin injury. Slot WR.

I'm glad they signed this guy now so they will get a 1st look at him in TC. Daniels has loads of ability. I believe he played for O'Leary at Central Fla. So he should be able to pick up the offense fairly quickly.

What this also tells me is Hoyer is going to be healthy enough to play next week. I'm not sure I agree with this though.

I'm glad they signed this guy now so they will get a 1st look at him in TC. Daniels has loads of ability. I believe he played for O'Leary at Central Fla. So he should be able to pick up the offense fairly quickly.

What this also tells me is Hoyer is going to be healthy enough to play next week. I'm not sure I agree with this though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hoyer passes the Protocol and starts next week..........something I truthfully wouldn't want to see, independent of his concussion history.

He played at the University of South Florida for Skip Holtz.

Daniels was a college QB at South Florida. He started his freshman year under Jim Leavitt (who was fired after the season for a player altercation). He threw for just under 2,000 yards while also leading the team in rushing. He then started the next 3 years under Skip Holtz. He finished his career with 8,433 pass yards (52 TD, 39 INT) and 2,068 rush yards (25 TD).

He was drafted in the 7th round by Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers. He spent his rookie season as the 49ers practice squad QB before being waived. Seattle claimed him off waivers and he spent 2 years as a reserve QB. He switched to WR this offseason but has been on practice squad for the majority of the year.

If I had to guess, we are looking at him as more of a Wildcat QB / emergency QB instead of being a true backup. We may be looking to expand the Wildcat package down the stretch because of Weeden's lack of familiarity with the offensive system.

Back