Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Answer: Monday, December 30, 2013

Question: Date Kubiak will get fired?

I would fire Kubiak Monday. McNair needs to send a message to the players, other coaches, front office ect...that this sorry excuse for football will not be tolerated. It's on everyone in the organization as whole, I'm not blaming Kubiak entirely. Kubiak's been given a fair shot and it's time to move on

Kubiak should have been fired immediately after the game. A message from McNair needs to be sent to coaches, players and fans that a pathetic effort at home against the previously worst team in the NFL with the worst offense in the NFL will not be tolerated. Kubiak is a lame duck coach right now, so why wait?

Kubiak should have been fired immediately after the game. A message from McNair needs to be sent to coaches, players and fans that a pathetic effort at home against the previously worst team in the NFL with the worst offense in the NFL will not be tolerated. Kubiak is a lame duck coach right now, so why wait?

Now that just wouldn't be a class act. It's not The Texans Way. Just not a Texans Worthy move.

That's all I got.

:kitten::kitten::kitten:

Here's a good writeup of potential coaches for hte NFL:
linky

For the record I really don't think Sumlin will be a good head coach in the NFL.

I do agree, what's left for him to do? Obviously Keenum isn't getting better and we can actually start our coaching search now or am I missing something?

linky

For the record I really don't think Sumlin will be a good head coach in the NFL.

I like the idea of Zimmer as head coach and bring in Sumlin as OC

highly doubt sumlin would leave A&M unless he's offered a better head coaching job. I doubt he leaves this year also.

agreed, but if we was on the Texans staff that is the highest spot I would like to see him

Kubiak isn't going to be fired mid-season. There's really no point to do it. You can't hire your next guy until after the season anyway so why go through the process of having an interim guy mucking things up. You guys are just looking for instant gratification, which I get, but he will be fired in the long run and that's all that matters.

Kubiak won't be fired mid season. There's nothing to gain, and he has a good relationship with the FO.
Agreed. I also don't think he's going to be fired. The classy guy that Gary Kubiak is, and an honorable man who loves the city of Houston, he'll more likely have a long talk with Bob McNair after the season ends and he will come to an agreement to resign as head coach. But it will not be classified as a firing.

Here was Gary Kubiak's press conference after today's loss to the Jaguars.

http://youtu.be/r3qn2DTir2k

I feel bad for the guy. He gave it all he had since 2006 with this franchise. Working long and hard hours just to produce a championship team. It led to his mini stroke and now he's probably coaching his last season in Houston in 2013.

Hopefully the new head coach who comes in has as much class as Kubiak did but with some winning results. I'd like to see the Houston Texans win the Super Bowl one day.

I feel bad for the guy. He gave it all he had since 2006 with this franchise. Working long and hard hours just to produce a championship team. It led to his mini stroke and now he's probably coaching his last season in Houston in 2013.

Hopefully the new head coach who comes in has as much class as Kubiak did but with some winning results. I'd like to see the Houston Texans win the Super Bowl one day.

this right here is why you relieve gary of his duties, so he isn't dragged out in front of the media and hassled each week about his future, not to mention you tell your locker room no one is safe and HOPE they try a little harder in order to keep their job next season.

What is Rick doing now? This team is not good except in a few areas. Even a blind hog finds an acorn. What I am saying is Watt is the exception not the rule when it comes to draft choices made by the Texans.

Extension of Schaub.

Signing of Ed Reed.

Not trading Tate. Losing another player to FA and getting nothing.

Cap Hell.

Evaluation of talent. Poor team speed. Can't teach speed.

Extension of Kubiak.

All huge mistakes.

I want to see on shoes. "Bye Rick"

Need to replace starting at top.

Yep

I will consign this. It is hard to hate the man. I really wanted him to succeed here. I really did. It's just not working out. It pains me to see him go out and answer the same questions every week. There has to be an honorable way for him to take a medical leave or something for the rest of the season. For those wanting him fired in an embarrassing manner, just ask yourself if that is the way you want to go out. You can fire people without embarrassing them.

I think all of us wanted Kubiak to succeed. He succeeds our team succeeds.

I think this season was beyond the worst thing we could have imagined. Things need to change and I think Kubiak knows that. I wish him well, but I think he has a lot to learn as a head coach and has to learn how to give up some control to other members of his coaching staff.

Kubiak isn't going to be fired mid-season. There's really no point to do it. You can't hire your next guy until after the season anyway so why go through the process of having an interim guy mucking things up. You guys are just looking for instant gratification, which I get, but he will be fired in the long run and that's all that matters.
On the contrary, there's no point in dragging this out. Give Kubiak a chance to lineup another job, be it an NFL OC or a college HC, without further embarrassment of this season. And it lets the Texans court potential coaches more freely. Everything's on the table. The time is now for McNair to remove Kubiak.

Yes, it makes sense to go ahead and remove Gary....unless his mind isn't made up. If it is, then it makes little sense to delay it. Would be beneficial for all involved.

On the contrary, there's no point in dragging this out. Give Kubiak a chance to lineup another job, be it an NFL OC or a college HC, without further embarrassment of this season. And it lets the Texans court potential coaches more freely. Everything's on the table. The time is now for McNair to remove Kubiak.

i'm not sure that gary is a professional caliber OC. i think he gets a gig as a QB coach. also, he's not a big time college hc. he can be a college oc/qb coach though.

the game has passed him by. plain & simple.

linky

I have to say, Sumlin is still my choice for HC (if only because the offense would not have to change immensely and because it makes sense considering his ties to Houston/Rick Smith), but ever since Ray Horton was brought up he's become my backup dream pick.

He has a track record of success as a secondary coach and defensive coordinator; that Cardinals defense was downright scary last year before the offense collapsed into a slagheap, and he has successfully transmuted a very good 4-3 defense in Cleveland into a very good 3-4 defense. He helped develop Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden is having a great year in Cleveland. As we already run a 3-4, we wouldn't have to worry about finding a defensive tackle to pair with Earl Mitchell.

Having him as HC and drafting Clowney at #1/2 overall could just be downright filthy. Plus, we'd have a coach with cornrows! Can't argue with that. :cool:

i'm not sure that gary is a professional caliber OC. i think he gets a gig as a QB coach. also, he's not a big time college hc. he can be a college oc/qb coach though.
Who knows what offers he gets. He has another year left on his contract, so he really doesn't have to coach in 2014.

Kubiak won't be fired mid season. There's nothing to gain, and he has a good relationship with the FO.

While I agree that he most likely won't be fired mid-season, I disagree that there's nothing to gain. Firing Kubiak now sends a message to the coaching staff and puts them on notice that a pathetic coaching effort won't cut it any more, it tells players that if the head coach is gone changes are no the horizon and they can easily be gone as well and putting out a half ass effort will earn you your walking papers. It tells the fans that you care about this team, are willing to make changes, and that ownership isn't just sitting back rolling in apathy.

Here are my picks that were cut out of the first page of this thread when it was moved and then started again and then closed because someone didn't like the discussion about replacing Kubiak. Post 2133 from that thread by Amazing was the original first post so whatever is after that should be in this thread

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2247194#post2247194

Lovie Smith CURRENTLY: Unemployed (fired by Chicago after 2012).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI.

81-63 record with Bears in nine seasons (four seasons Top 5 in defense).

Only finished worse than 7-9 once in nine seasons.

Smith is choosing to go off the grid for 2013, rather than be a coordinator somewhere. He knows his phone will be ringing around New Year's with at least a couple head coaching offers. May as well enjoy a year's vacation.

Ray Horton CURRENTLY: Defensive coordinator, Cleveland (hired 2013).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Coached a Cardinals' defense that had 80 sacks and 32 interceptions over past two seasons.

Seventeen years of coaching secondaries, including three Super Bowl years in Pittsburgh (and three years with least points allowed).

Horton's calls for aggression and disruption were a lone highlight of Arizona's 2012 season.

A former NFL cornerback of ten years, Horton appreciates versatility in players (blitzing secondary, linemen covering the flat, etc), and has mentored some of the best.

These 2 need no introduction around these boards

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I didn't list college coaches but there are some potential good ones out there. It is always a crap shoot when you hire one though that has never coached in the nfl.

My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protégé

I'm almost positive the Texans are going to hire the East Texas native Lovie Smith. He is probably the best coach out there (one who hasn't been out of the game long). That's who I'm putting my money on. You had players crying for this guy in Chicago when he got fired.

I'm almost positive the Texans are going to hire the East Texas native Lovie Smith. He is probably the best coach out there (one who hasn't been out of the game long). That's who I'm putting my money on. You had players crying for this guy in Chicago when he got fired.

I've never seen good quarterback development under Lovie Smith.

Another player's coach? No thanks. The team needs R. Lee Ermy. There won't be any letterman jackets with him.

Here are my picks that were cut out of the first page of this thread when it was moved and then started again and then closed because someone didn't like the discussion about replacing Kubiak.

The prior thread was closed because some people were having trouble accessing it. The same discussion is ongoing here.

To be fair there hasn't been a decent QB in Chicago before Cutler since McMahon.

Isn't that at least partially on him?

Looking how this season has gone it has obviously been a terrible experience for everyone involved. Players, coaches, fans & ownership all believed that this season was going to be a Super Bowl run & with the past two years results that was easily foreseeable. What has happened truly cannot be explained, best put it has been an anomaly of bad occurrences meshed with the glaring weaknesses of the team being brought to light in what has culminated in the Texans currently being the worst team in the NFL.

The subject of a coaching change is a big one…I like Kubiak & I wanted it to work for him but heads have to role & unfortunately his is probably going to be the first. First off I would like to thank him for giving us a playoff team for those two years & for getting this team into a form of a winning franchise. With that said it is time to move on.

I want to also put out there that the popular names of Cower & Gruden should not come up in the conversation for the following reasons.

Jon Gruden:
His record with the Raiders was a total 38-26 with two playoff showings in 4 years.
His record in Tampa Bay was 57-55 in 7 years with 3 playoff appearances & one Super Bowl win.
Total record 5 playoff experiences in 11 years with one Super Bowl & a record of 95-81.

My knock on him is that he is the same guy as Kubiak considering he is a middle of the road winner who just happened to inherit a championship team from Tony Dungy that he won a Super Bowl with & then the team declined each of the following years. He has great football knowledge but has been out to long & wasn’t a world beater while he was coaching.

Bill Cowher:
149-90 all with the Steelers.
He is a proven winner with a long period of time but was given just that a long period of time to win. He had 4 losing seasons along with 1 8-8 season while having 9 playoff appearances & 2 Super Bowl appearances with 1 win in a career of 15 seasons. He is 56 years old which means he is right on that cusp of becoming an old man but is not there yet. He is a proven winner but he must be given the time to do it which is why it worked for him in Pittsburgh. Another thing to note is his success may be more of a reflection of the organization than of Cowher himself as both his predecessor Chuck Noll & Mike Tomlin both had similar success within the organization both which were patient with coaches even through bad seasons. Also consider this in 22 seasons Chuck Noll provided 11 winning seasons with 4 Super Bowl wins but he also had 11 losing seasons in which the team averaged 6 wins.

My knock on Cowher is more a knock on the Houston fan base & the organization because if he provided a few playoff appearances but then gave us some losing seasons he would be run out of town. Kubiak gave us two playoff appearances & 3 losing seasons & he is basically being lynched. Therefore I am not sure if Cowher would even want to be part of an organization that demands winning now as opposed to building over time with a few bumps in the road being seen as ok.

So what does this all mean?

Either we have to find a coach who can literally win now within 1-3 years or we as an organization have to be more like the Steelers (this would include fan base perception also) & roll with the punches enjoying good seasons but not calling for heads in seasons where things go bad.

Should be interesting regardless but a change is probably coming so who do you think we should be looking at?

I've never seen good quarterback development under Lovie Smith.

Another player's coach? No thanks. The team needs R. Lee Ermy. There won't be any letterman jackets with him.

Went to a SB, another NFC championship game where his starting QB got hurt. He was 10-6 last year and got fired. I think he would work here. He was able to lead Rex freaking Grossman to a SB. Remember when Grossman was here?

Do we have a new head coach yet? Heck, what about an interim head coach?
Do you really want an interim coach to cloud McNair's judgment? The Texans have been playing close games. They have only needed a play or 2 in each of the last 5 games to win. Imagine:

Wade Phillips takes over.
-Texans play hard against the Pats but lose another tight one.
-Texans smash the Jags gaining a little confidence.
-Texans have all the luck (pun intended) and win with TDs on special teams and D against the Colts.
-Broncos have their playoff seed locked and take Manning out after the first quarter. Texans steal a win.
-Titans have nothing left to play for and Texans are rolling. Texans win again.

If it happened then there's a good chance that McNair would give the Phillips the chance in 2014 given the 4 game streak to end the 2013 season. Is it far-fetched? Yeah. Seriously though...do you want any part of that being a possibility?

Last edited:
No thanks on gruden or cowher.. They have been away too long and will struggle to put a strong staff together.

I would be interested in Greg Roman or Ray Horton, depending on Roman's plan on defense or Zimmer's plan on offense.

Otherwise, mike Zimmerman would be a person to look at.

Beyond those guys, I am not sure... I wouldn't hate Lovie Smith, but I share concerns with others about the consistently mediocre offenses he has had.

Whatever happens, I want the offense to be very versatile and balanced. I love the rollouts and the fundamental philosophies behind what we have now. Would love to get more creative though. I'm not too crazy about Dennison and thought Baby Shanahan was much better at OC.

I want a guy who will teach the team to play hard but not stupid or dirty. We've been penalized way, way, way too much and frankly I've seen a lot of thuggery on this team on the field in recent years perhaps to overcompensate for our reputation as "being soft." I don't like that. You can play tough without being dumb or dirty. See JJ Watt.

I also don't want some college gimmick guy. You strike out on that and it's a waste of time and we'll go from simply having one down year to being in spiral mode where we're forced to truly rebuild.

I don't want Gruden. Overrated and overdiscussed. I'd like Cowher but his offensive creativity is not very prevalent.

I simply don't know who'll be available and I don't know much about coaching staffs around the league to see which coordinators we might pluck.

No thanks on gruden or cowher.. They have been away too long and will struggle to put a strong staff together.

I would be interested in Greg Roman or Ray Horton, depending on Roman's plan on defense or Zimmer's plan on offense.

Otherwise, mike Zimmerman would be a person to look at.

Beyond those guys, I am not sure... I wouldn't hate Lovie Smith, but I share concerns with others about the consistently mediocre offenses he has had.

You have all of these huge concerns about these proven head coaches, but have never wanted Kubiak gone. Even now you still want him and refuse to concede that he was never who you thought he could be. Truly amazing. Hell, Joe Texan could coach this team better at this point.

My biggest fear has been mentioned in this thread already.

Kubiak is let go before the end of the season, and Wade steps in as interim coach, winning enough games that Bob makes him the permanent HC going into 2014.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I want some spit!

I want a tough as nails defense and a run down your throat offense!

Give me yelling and spitting and making faces and spitting!

You have all of these huge concerns about these proven head coaches, but have never wanted Kubiak gone. Even now you still want him and refuse to concede that he was never who you thought he could be. Truly amazing. Hell, Joe Texan could coach this team better at this point.

I think change is messy. I agree that Kubiak needs to be replaced. However, I strongly disagree that the change, in itself, will improve things. Things can always get worse. Since a change is going to happen, I care very much that it is a wise one. So should you. You are so blinded by your frustration with this team that you don't realize the organization can move in a worse direction. Well, history dictates that it can. So, yeah, I am concerned about who the new hire will be, particularly since we have some talented pieces in place (unlike 2005)and some resources (cap room, extra picks) to have significant success in the short term if we get the right people in place... Much like San Fran a couple years ago, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back