Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013   #2121
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
as others have stated, i believe kubiak's job is tied to keenum. if keenum does well, mcnair will almost have to keep kubiak to see how far we can take it, which i believe is the right call. if keenum flops, kubiak may be out with him ... which i cant argue with considering our QB play so far this year. if keenum hints at greatness though, you cant take the system away from him - keenum was built for this walsh-zone blocking-WCO.

my opinion on kubiak is well known, i'm a supporter. my feelings towards wade are exactly the same. these are the two men who i believe will lead us to multiple superbowls. what they're missing is a more heavy oversight regarding assistant coaching. they both draft well (usually), have great schemes, are among the best of teachers, and get complete effort from the players. what they lack is a higher up to make the ugly calls, and an assistant to challenge the established setting.

jay gruden's been mentioned ... i would absolutely love him as a coordinator. heck, i'd bring john back as a coordinator. the problem on offense isnt kubiak, it's that it seems to ONLY be kubiak - the same situation that got shanahan fired from denver. you cant have one man calling every shot, it cant work. wade similarly seems to have too much 'control'. i started to use the word freedom, but that would be the ideal - a more free approach within the system instead of a confined setting. our schemes most definitely can be described as boxes. we dont need someone thinking outside of it, we just need a couple guys who are willing to round it out and poke the edges a little bit.

i think keenum is about to remind us why we hired kubiak though. kubiak and wade seem to have caught the dom capers disease - we're struggling, dumb it down and play cautious and keep it close. this is i believe why wade's defenses have a tendency to regress, he perfects and cleans instead of finding new edges. keenum is a license to "let 'er rip" that we havent seen in quite a while.

edit: i'm so repetitive when i drink
Sorry, but, I call nonsense on all of this.

It's Kubiak's job to evaluate assistants. What we have seen is Kubiak toss a zillion defensive and offensive coordinators under the bus to save his own hide. Yet, the Special Teams coach remains (and, is given an assistant!!)

Also, 8 years is more than enough time to judge a head coach.

Multiple Super Bowls? We haven't even gotten to ONE AFC Championship game! After. 8. Years.

Even "if" Keenum is the answer, it's time to let another head coach take over this team.
Old 10-30-2013   #2122
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
What we have seen is Kubiak toss a zillion defensive and offensive coordinators under the bus to save his own hide.
Name one OC that Kubiak's thrown under the bus to save his own hide.
Old 10-30-2013   #2123
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Name one OC that Kubiak's thrown under the bus to save his own hide.
One step further - name one DC that didn't deserve his place under the bus.
Old 10-30-2013   #2124
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
One step further - name one DC that didn't deserve his place under the bus.

Exactly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 11-04-2013   #2125
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I pulled this quote out of the Kubiak Collapses thread to continue the discussion without derailing that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Are you kidding me? He never even pulled Schaub. Schaub was forced to go out due to injury. His stubborness is what put the team in the hole and even had Yates out there for a wasted game against the Rams where the team gave up on him. His stubbornness is why Keenum was 3rd string instead of first string in the first place. Keenum only got in there by accident. Lol! A guy having a collapse doesn't change history and what has taken place this season or last season.
This is about the way I see it. Kubiak deserves credit for having/keeping Keenum on the roster. That is offset by his inability to either:
A) identify that Schaub was not even close to being the best QB on the roster this year.
B) take the appropriate action to put the best QB on the field of he did know Schaub wasn't his best option.

I don't know what makes Kubiak this "quarterback guru". If it his ability to teach a QB his offense and get the most out f him, I might be able to see it. I don't think his guru-ness extends to identifying talent though.
Old 11-04-2013   #2126
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub was benched during the Rams game.

Schaub has since not started despite being ready to do so.

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.
Old 11-04-2013   #2127
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Kubiak did promote Keenum to starter over Yates. Whether Keenum was listed as 3rd is unimportant since he got the start.

Not sure of the need some have to revise that.
I don't think I'm revising history. I think that Kubiak had enough evidence that Schaub wasn't getting the job done well before the Rams game. I understand it is very dangerous to juggle quarterbacks during a season, but it was clear Schaub did not have NFL velocity on his throws anymore. I don't know if Kubiak would have made the change without the additional impetuous of Schaub's ankle injury, but I think that did help him to decide it was time for a change when he finally pulled the trigger. The problem is the Texans were quickly dropping out of contention waiting for the change to be made.

For the record, I've never been a Schaub basher. I thought he was a good to very good quarterback for this system most of his years here. At some point everyone drops below the level required to play in the NFL though, and Schaub has fallen below that threshold except for occasional flashes.
Old 11-04-2013   #2128
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Next coach?

Let me start by saying I hope Kubiak will be all right. He isn't a great coach but winning isn't everything. I'd rather he is healthy than for the Texans to win the Super Bowl.

That said, we must face the reality of perhaps needing a new head coach. If so, never mind interim coaches, whom do you want as permanent HC? There are too many possibilities to put them all in a poll, so I'm grouping them in categories. Voters can get specific in posts if they want to.

My choice just might be Alabama's Saban.
Old 11-04-2013   #2129
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 13608 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Next coach?

What was it? 8 years and 61-58 (59 now).

I wish him well and everything. It just didn't work out. Time for something new.
Old 11-09-2013   #2130
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The hot seat

I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it. By just looking at the last game in the first half, how often did we open it up like that with Schaub? I also think Rick Smith should be close to gone with his moves that led to Briesel, Winston, Quin walking, and the Reed signing.
Old 11-10-2013   #2131
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
I would like to see Kubiak back for one more year with a full season with Keenum, if he is up to it.
I can't see McNair firing Kubiak after the illness. But, I don't want to see Kubiak given an extension. The problem with that is the assistants don't have security and it would be difficult attracting a top assistant if their was an opening (hint, Joe Marciano). I also don't think the HC job is as attractive to a prospective head coach as the Texans were coming off the 2010 season. I'm resigned to Kubiak returning in 2014.
Old 11-10-2013   #2132
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Schaub was benched in the Niners game, then knocked out of the Rams game the following week.

I'm not putting all of the Texans early offensive woes on Matt Schaub. The RT position was a mess and Duane Brown was not performing at an All Pro level. But Matt's immobility, lack of velocity, and poor decision making made it impossible for this team to win. That they haven't won in 2 games with Schaub on the bench indicates that Kubiak was right. It's not just the QB, the Texans have a lot of problems. The good news is that they are in the process of solving one of them.
Old 11-11-2013   #2133
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coaching candidates

well we might as well get our wish list going.

head coach?
oc?
dc?
st?
gm?

who are some good candidates?
Old 11-11-2013   #2134
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching candidates

Lovie Smith CURRENTLY: Unemployed (fired by Chicago after 2012).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI.

81-63 record with Bears in nine seasons (four seasons Top 5 in defense).

Only finished worse than 7-9 once in nine seasons.

Smith is choosing to go off the grid for 2013, rather than be a coordinator somewhere. He knows his phone will be ringing around New Year's with at least a couple head coaching offers. May as well enjoy a year's vacation.

Ray Horton CURRENTLY: Defensive coordinator, Cleveland (hired 2013).

ACHIEVEMENTS
Coached a Cardinals' defense that had 80 sacks and 32 interceptions over past two seasons.

Seventeen years of coaching secondaries, including three Super Bowl years in Pittsburgh (and three years with least points allowed).

Horton's calls for aggression and disruption were a lone highlight of Arizona's 2012 season.

A former NFL cornerback of ten years, Horton appreciates versatility in players (blitzing secondary, linemen covering the flat, etc), and has mentored some of the best.

These 2 need no introduction around these boards

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I didn't list college coaches but there are some potential good ones out there. It is always a crap shoot when you hire one though that has never coached in the nfl.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Old 11-11-2013   #2135
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Old 11-11-2013   #2136
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

No head coaching experience, but his defenses are well known.
Old 11-11-2013   #2137
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
HC Mike Zimmer.

He's blunt, screamer, people always ask for accountability and he seems to be that guy. He also has a history of taking players that have had issues off the field and turn them around which tells me he's a good teacher. I wouldn't be upset about it.

yup zimmer is on my short list. im intrigued by hue jackson and david shaw too. i will get a list together later today
Old 11-11-2013   #2138
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
HC Mike Zimmer.

This guy. Zimmer is the man. I think he could take our defense to the next level as well.
Old 11-11-2013   #2139
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
HC Mike Zimmer.

So, you want a coordinator with no head coaching experience. Haven't we gone down that road before?
Old 11-11-2013   #2140
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
My number 1 GM prospect would be:

Eric DeCosta Ozzie Newsome's long time protege
BINGO! Has been brought up in the Ravens organization for last 17 years and under Ozzie's wing.

Head Coaches

1. David Shaw - Father was an NFL coach, David coached in the NFL for 9 years. His Stanford teams are well prepared in all phases of the game.

2. Jimbo Fisher - Has an heir of Jimmy Johnson about him. His teams also are very well prepared in all phases of the game.

Others - Darrell Barrell, Dan Quinn, Sean McDermott

Zimmer Red Flag, has been on numerous interviews to be a HC without success. He must not interview well.

Gruden Red Flag: Players excoriated him after he was fired. Liar, Dishonest

Last edited by Texian; 11-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read