Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Gruden would be a change. I'm not sure if that would be good or not, but at this point as long as the wind changes directions I'm good with it.

At least Gruden would be a change. I'm not sure if that would be good or not, but at this point as long as the wind changes directions I'm good with it.

You would think we would have learned change is not always good.

1st change under Gruden - Michael Vick.

Quote:
Greg Koch ‏@gregkoch1 1h

Just got report from source, Jon Gruden at IAH......hmm, sightseeing day after Thanksgiving?.....

Please, say IT AIN'T SO! No Chucky here. Please...

Considering that IAH is one of the largest airports on the planet earth, this is not surprising. Dude could have been connecting to another flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do Gruden fans act like this helps him?

I guess Callahan was a better coach than Gruden since he got Gruden's team further than Gruden.

Not even close, the Raiders were knocking on the door when Gruden left. Hell, if not for the stupid Tuck rule, I think Gruden would have gotten there in Oak as well

A couple of years ago I talked with a guy who played under Gruden at Tampa Bay. He said that most of the players "managed to put up with him...and that's about it. He was kind of a hard-ass."

He went on to say "we wanted to like him, because he knew football. And he could have a good sense of humor. But he was really full of himself."

Gruden wouldn't be high on my wish list. But I do think his time at ESPN would help him if he coaches again. Might make him less of a "hard-ass."

You would think we would have learned change is not always good.

1st change under Gruden - Michael Vick.

At 2-9 change is not only a good thing, it's necessary if you want a winning team. A hardass would be a good fit for this team. Rather than the players coach softy/country club mentality that currently exists.

No to Jon Gruden, Yes to Jay Gruden, Jay has more fire and is an offensive mind, as well as being a hardass.

I garuntee you one thing Jay Gruden wouldn't be having an elective surgery during the combine after a glorious non playoff 9-7 season.

I garuntee you one thing Jay Gruden wouldn't be having an elective surgery during the combine after a glorious non playoff 9-7 season.

Man you go straight to spin everything once you decide not to like someone. Clearly you can guarantee no such thing. Calling Kubiak's two surgeries elective is a joke. Correcting sleep apnea is not cosmetic surgery. And duh, surgery would best be done in the off-season.

Last edited:
Man you go straight to spin everything once you decide not to like someone. Clearly you can guarantee no such thing. Calling Kubiak's two surgeries elective is a joke. Correcting sleep apnea is not cosmetic surgery. And duh, surgery would best be done in the off-season.

On that subject , I wonder if his one condition somehow led to the other ? I don't think anyone has ever questioned Kubiak's work ethic .

Looks like the typical Kubiak apologists are still reaching to make it seem like this guy hasn't been a total embarrassing disaster here for the last 8 years. I find it amusing that people actually credit him for the first playoff season when it was Wade's defense that caused that all season when Yates was throwing check downs all season long and there was hardly any offense. Hell, if it wasn't for Mcnair Kubiak would have still kept Smith for another year. Lol!

Sorry guys, but all of those arguments for Kubiak over the years have all but failed over and over again. We're a worse team now then what we were in Dom Capers last season. I always found it funny that Kubiak's disciples in here would bash Capers on and on, but at the same time excuse and put Gary on a pedastool. Capers had some horrid seasons, but he had Carr and company and an expansion team he inherited with no Oline. Kubiak's had a ton of talent for several years and ran this team into the ground as if he was driving a jet 500 miles per hour into the ground.

Looks like the typical Kubiak apologists are still reaching to make it seem like this guy hasn't been a total embarrassing disaster here for the last 8 years. I find it amusing that people actually credit him for the first playoff season when it was Wade's defense that caused that all season when Yates was throwing check downs all season long and there was hardly any offense. Hell, if it wasn't for Mcnair Kubiak would have still kept Smith for another year. Lol!

Sorry guys, but all of those arguments for Kubiak over the years have all but failed over and over again. We're a worse team now then what we were in Dom Capers last season. I always found it funny that Kubiak's disciples in here would bash Capers on and on, but at the same time excuse and put Gary on a pedastool. Capers had some horrid seasons, but he had Carr and company and an expansion team he inherited with no Oline. Kubiak's had a ton of talent for several years and ran this team into the ground as if he was driving a jet 500 miles per hour into the ground.

This is such hateful bile... Exactly what defies logic. After taking that same disaster under capers and starting 0-4 with them in 2006, Texan fans did not root for a losing team in any season other than 2010 and this season. While those are not championship credentials, it also isn't "driving a jet 500 miles per hour into the ground". Also, why do you need everyone to hate Kubiak? Nobody is arguing for Kubiak to stay next year. So, what is this obsession with "apologists"? I have been marked as a Kubiak apologist, which is fine, but even I have blamed this disastrous season primarily on Kubiak's miscalculations and coaching limitations. So, what is it that you need exactly?

taniaganguli Tania Ganguli
"@TravHaneyESPN: In recent days, I'd heard Aggies were more concerned about losing Sumlin to Texans than USC."

"@TravHaneyESPN: In recent days, I'd heard Aggies were more concerned about losing Sumlin to Texans than USC."

Just what the fans want another Aggie who has never even won a confrence championship in COLLEGE.

Just what the fans want another Aggie who has never even won a confrence championship in COLLEGE.

My impression of Sumlin is that he could be a very good NFL coach... I have concerns about how quickly he would successfully adapt his offense to the NFL. Mostly, though, I worry about what his defensive staff would look like. The day he would be hired, though, I would primarily experience optimism.

The offseason, after the combine.

I cant garuntee anything. But do you think Gruden would've had the surgery? Be honest.

How did I spin anything? Nice try counselor. Sorry the Gary thing didn't work out. Both of us wanted it to work out. Only one of us are being honest with ourselves.

A crawl on ABC, just said that sumlin has agreed to a new 6 year contract with the Aggies

My impression of Sumlin is that he could be a very good NFL coach... I have concerns about how quickly he would successfully adapt his offense to the NFL. Mostly, though, I worry about what his defensive staff would look like. The day he would be hired, though, I would primarily experience optimism.

Good for you and another 8 yrs of mental masturbation.

It doesn't bother you that Sumlin has never won anything despite having 2 of the greatest college QB's in NCAA history. (He didn't recruit either of them)

You really want Sumlin to lead a pro team? Give me Jay Gruden or Zimmer, people that have proven themselves in the NFL. As opposed to a guy that hasn't even proven he can win big at the college level.

Maybe winning isn't your, or BoB's #1 priority.

The offseason, after the combine.

I cant garuntee anything. But do you think Gruden would've had the surgery? Be honest.

How did I spin anything? Nice try counselor. Sorry the Gary thing didn't work out. Both of us wanted it to work out. Only one of us are being honest with ourselves.

I honestly don't know what Gruden would do and neither do you. You claiming to know is spinning and being dishonest with yourself.

I honestly don't know what Gruden would do and neither do you. You claiming to know is spinning and being dishonest with yourself.

Great rebuttal,

How many other HC's do you know that have missed the combine for an elective surgery? History may be on my side on this one.

Great rebuttal,

How many other HC's do you know that have missed the combine for an elective surgery? History may be on my side on this one.

First off, not all HCs attend the combine. History is definitely on my side on this one. Every year there is reporting on which HCs are at the combine and at which sessions.

Second, I have no idea and once again neither do you. You are making things up.

Give me Jay Gruden or Zimmer, people that have proven themselves in the NFL.
Can you explain the infatuation with Jay Gruden? What exactly has he proven in the NFL? I agree that Zimmer has the track record and deserves HC consideration somewhere.

Don't mind him, it's just a name he's latched onto for some reason.

Oh yeah, Cincinnati Bengals---the gold standard for offense in the NFL since 2011.

I'm glad that college gimmick guy Sumlin isn't "in the running" anymore. I want a coach to take us to the next level. College guy ain't gonna do that. That's a guy you could roll the dice on for a rebuild. We're not rebuilding. We're attempting to do what the Chargers tried when they fired Schottenheimer. Let's hope we have more success with the next guy than they had with Norv Turner.

A&M can keep Sumlin.

His decision a little while ago to punt with only 2 minutes remaining, and down 7, on the road (at Missouri), was insane...

Hey All, been here lurking for a couple of years and never set up a username until recently. I seen this on BleacherReport, regarding Sumlin and The Texans, so I thought I would post it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...826/kevin-sumlin-texas-usc-houston-texans-nfl

In the article there is a tweet from Jason La Canfora:

Sumlin would definitely be my choice for HC, but I would like to see them hire a strong OC to go with him.

The funny thing is if Sumlin is the choice, does that put Gary in College Station?

I would like to add that Rick Smith needs to leave as badly as Kubiak, that may be the reason that Kubiak isn't gone yet. Maybe Bob McNair wants to make Rick fire Gary since they seem to be associates in this crime.
Extending Schaub, Kubiak, and not replacing Marciano were only a few of Smiths many blunders.

Draft Failures:
Kareem Jackson
Amobi Okoye
Whitney Merciless
Sam Montgomery
Trevardo Williams
Derek Newton
Antwaun Moulden
Earl Mitchell
Sherrick McMannis
Brooks Reed
Brandon Harris
Rock Carmichael
Derek Newton
Brandon Brooks
Ben Jones

Free Agent Signings/Departure Failures
Ed Reed- Signing
Greg Jones-Signing

The Texans have only had a few significant FA signings (Joseph,Manning, Reed) Reed has been the only major failure but the fact that they lack significant free agent signings is an issue in its own. They also fail to make trades of any significance. They fail to move talent before they lose it, a la Ben Tate. They also fail to bring in players that may just need a change of scenery. They lack an eye for talent in general.

Free agent departures are sometimes a necessary evil in order to maintain a safe cap or to bring in free agent talent. Being that we rarely bring in free agent talent, our departures are typically just cap casualties. The front office must be more efficient with their spending in order to retain high quality football players.
Key areas we lack in like S, OL, LB, have all slipped through our grasp.

Glover Quin- Departure
Joel Dreesen- Departure
Eric Winston- Departure
Mike Brisiel- Departure
Vonta Leach- Departure
Demeco Ryans-Departure
Bernard Pollard-Departure

I often wonder when you see some of the waiver wire pickups, why the Texans aren't making these additions. This team has never had a lock down secondary yet these players are constantly being made available due to crowding in a secondary. How can so many teams have problems with too much talent when the Texans can never put two solid corners on the field at the same time. Instead guys like McCain, Harris, Carmichael are given chance after chance to blow a game.

As far as firing Gary now, there really is no point. You're not going to send a message to the players and other coaches. You will be acknowledging publicly that you are mailing it in for the rest of the season thus jeopardizing the "sell out" streak. As far as the other coaches go, they know that at this point there is no salvaging this season nor changing there reputation from whatever it currently has been tarnished to. It is likely that who ever the new coach is will bring in there replacements thus putting the current regime on cruise control.

I stopped reading as soon as Kareem Jackson headed the list of draft failures.

It is his first year as DC. Why would you think him ready to be HC?

I think Seattle's defense is excellent and would love to model the Texans after their success. I would like to see us go back to the 4-3 and I would like to see us get a coach who is going to maximize our biggest strength - JJ Watt and the potential of our DL. He is a DL guy by training.

He was an assistant HC under Jim Mora so I think he has enough NFL experience to be successful.

The last thing is that Seattle clearly has a lot of success due to their secondary. I'd love a guy who plays to our strengths but looks to develop our weaknesses. He seems to value both (no proof of this except for the performance -- I don't know how much of this is him vs Carol)

The last thing is that Seattle clearly has a lot of success due to their secondary. I'd love a guy who plays to our strengths but looks to develop our weaknesses. He seems to value both (no proof of this except for the performance -- I don't know how much of this is him vs Carol)

Pete Carrol?!?!

Not that guy, he is a huge failure as an NFL head coach.

That is what people were saying when Carrol was hired by Seattle.

Mike Tomlin was an OC for only a year (with the Vikings in 2006) before being named the Steelers' head coach in '07.

He hasn't done badly.

You would be hard pressed to find a more unique circumstance for a new HC. He inherited a SB winning team (don't go there on the 2006 season - Big Ben had his motorcycle wreck and a miserable year) and a full staff and continuing administration. Hard to extend that to ordinary circumstances.

Even if the Texans suck under a new head coach at least we'll have something new to b*tch about.

Now this is some great reasoning. Something tells me you could find something to b*tch about no matter the circumstances.

You can use that as a reason not to hire anyone.

Where is this heaven sent head coach that will descend upon our fair city and lead us to the promise land? What coach is not going to have question marks? What coach is out there where everyone would agree that he was the guy to do it?

Patriots could fire belichick tommorrow and people would say, he's nothing without Brady. He hasn't won since he stopped cheating. Folks would find a reason that he wouldn't be successful here.

Lombardi could crawl out his grave and people would say he's too old, been away from the game too long....and undead HC's are creepy...

Probably all legit criticisms. But that's the point....there is no perfect solution. If there was, then this wouldn't be real life where tough decisions are par for the course.

Either way, we know what we have hasn't worked.

Good stuff bro... thanks for the laugh. I too consider undead HC's creepy.

Hilarious... Never seen that either. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I'm not a big "Chucky" fan BUT and "I like big BUTTS and can not lie" we gotta change this thing up, man.

I like Kubiak and really wanted him to be successful. It's run it's course - time to move on. Time to go along with Rick Smith.

+100 for the funny way you added the Sir Mixalot lyrics in there. I agree it is time to move on and try something different.

What about Jack Del Rio? I think he would make a good coach. Great defenses without the gimmicks, and he would start with more talent here than he did with JAX. Plus he's been in the game without a commentary hiatus to make you soft.

Can you explain the infatuation with Jay Gruden? What exactly has he proven in the NFL? I agree that Zimmer has the track record and deserves HC consideration somewhere.

Do you like Cincy's offense? I do

Gruden appears to have some of the WC offenses princeples. (Not all) He is more modern and less conservative with his game plan/play calling than Kubiak and has helped in the development of Dalton. Who I consider to be a younger version of Schaub.

First off, not all HCs attend the combine. History is definitely on my side on this one. Every year there is reporting on which HCs are at the combine and at which sessions.

Second, I have no idea and once again neither do you. You are making things up.

If Gary has final say on who makes the roster, Then the least he could do would be to show up at the combine. (Atleast somebody who puts winning 1st would.)

If Gary has final say on who makes the roster, Then the least he could do would be to show up at the combine. (Atleast somebody who puts winning 1st would.)

Wow, you are really hung up on this. Do you think that all successful coaches go to the combine every year? And to all the college workouts too? Half Scout/half coach?

Can't you find a different reason to hate? This one is old and stale

Wow, you are really hung up on this. Do you think that all successful coaches go to the combine every year? And to all the college workouts too? Half Scout/half coach?

Can't you find a different reason to hate? This one is old and stale

Dismiss it if you want, but you would think the guy who has control over the roster would make it a priority to be at the combine. The fact that the Texans were trumpeting a 9-7 season as some kid of benchmark and finishe 6-10 the next yr told me all I needed to know about BoB/Rick/Gary and the rest of the crew. Style over substance and very little has been done to change my mind.

Did you really feel like the Texans were a SB contender the last 2 yrs? If so, this is where we disagree.

Maybe I expect too much out of the leader of the on the field product. You knw, like doing everything in his power to put the best team possible on the field. Clearly Gary didn't do this and rightly should pay/have paid with his job 4-5 yrs ago.

The Shannys And Kubes Reunite in Houston ............. :kitten:

if redskins fire Mike ...????

Dismiss it if you want, but you would think the guy who has control over the roster would make it a priority to be at the combine. The fact that the Texans were trumpeting a 9-7 season as some kid of benchmark and finishe 6-10 the next yr told me all I needed to know about BoB/Rick/Gary and the rest of the crew. Style over substance and very little has been done to change my mind.

How about you provide some examples of teams who did not celebrate their first winning season or first one under a new regime?

Did you really feel like the Texans were a SB contender the last 2 yrs? If so, this is where we disagree.

Maybe I expect too much out of the leader of the on the field product. You knw, like doing everything in his power to put the best team possible on the field. Clearly Gary didn't do this and rightly should pay/have paid with his job 4-5 yrs ago.

No, I didn't. I thought they were a contender to make it thru the divisional round.

I don't think that him being at the combine in person would have made any difference however

How about you provide some examples of teams who did not celebrate their first winning season or first one under a new regime?

I dont keep up with other teams. Do you?

Except when it comes time for the TT Mock Draft. Yeah Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back