Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texas Showdown! Texans @ Cowboys

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Absolutely nothing in there is factual.
lol ITS ALL FACTUAL. Lovie IS well respected around the league. Lovie WAS here at the absolute height of the dysfunction in 2021. He knew 1st hand what was going on around here…better than most….certainly more than an outside candidate would’ve known anyway.

The key here is AT THE TIME….at the time the decision was made these were things that had value to this franchise reeling from dysfunction and having lawsuits rained down on them.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I wonder if they would have offered the job to Frazier if Cal would have insisted Lovie remain the DC
problem is Frazier and the Bills were in the playoffs…… with a strong possibility of going to the SB…NC in his own words said that he/they took a little too long throughout the process..i think they got to the point where they wanted to have their guy in the fold at least early enough to start collaborating heavily with personnel and the draft etc & they possibly would’ve had to wait for Frazier until after the SB before they could do all that…

which is yet another reason why it made some sense to rock with Lovie. He was already here, they could start on all that right away and had already worked together in some respects regarding all that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
no it makes THAT part supposition..but in organizing all the reasons why it made some sense to bring lovie in as HC….all of that is fact.
Possible reasons... supposition. Unless you have them on record.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Easy way to avoid that from happening. Draft Meyer with pick via Watson trade to Cleveland. Legit blue chip prospect that translates next level.
I am just not a fan of the tight end position overall and this crop does not thrill me either. Way too many other positions need up grading. Give me Quentin Johnson instead.
Any thoughts on why Meyer did not win the Bilitnikof?

We obviously do not have a tight end plan for playbook.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Possible reasons... supposition. Unless you have them on record.
lol really dude?

“ i’ve had an extreme amount of respect for Lovie for years now and that only grew with the work he did last season and throughout this process….”

Cal on the hiring of Lovie.

we also know Lovie along with Tony Dungy was consulted on the HC search…

sounds to me the respect and credibility angle of the search was high on the priority list for Cal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
While we are throwing around theories, I think they went with Lovie because they screwed around too long, lost the good options, the remaining ones weren't in love with our front office setup, Cal wanted McCown, but the Flores lawsuit shined too bright a light on the team and they got nervous. They already fired Culley and had to do something, so they made a deal with Lovie. Remember the deal he got. 5 years for 25 million, a ridiculous amount for a washed-up coach and a length he would never see. I don’t know if they will fire him this season or not, but I do think he took them to the woodshed on his contract.
2 texans head coach in a row should be extremely grateful to Nick for contracts.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You got me. I guess everyone else has Cal on record saying he wanted Lovie to stay on as DC... or is that just as much rumor as what I'm saying?

None of those guys got a 2nd interview. It was a sham, just like the Giants interviewing Flores after they already offered the job to Daboll.

I wouldn't be griping if O'Connell was still on the list when Nick "chose" Gannon. But they "chose" Gannon when no one else was left.

Looks like you're going to believe whatever rumor you decide is true. That's OK. Bottom line, this is a clusterf & it's getting more clustery.
Well my guy's guy said he heard at the Barbershop that..

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I am just not a fan of the tight end position overall and this crop does not thrill me either. Way too many other positions need up grading. Give me Quentin Johnson instead.
Any thoughts on why Meyer did not win the Bilitnikof?

We obviously do not have a tight end plan for playbook.
Agreed, just making statement TE doesn’t have to be question mark if you so choose. Far as Bilitnikoff, doesn’t that always go to a WR? Anyway, playbook looked better today but obviously a work in progress. Would imagine Meyer would get 6-10 targets per game, primary red zone target and excellent blocker both on the line and downfield. Complete package.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I didn't mind going for it on 4th down. Considering the Cowboys weak run defense. I didn't even mind the run. However, the formation, play call and execution was total crap.
I didn't mind it either. You score and it's a 2 possession game and probably over. Don't know if taking the chip shot 3 might have been a better option though. As it was, the Cowboys knew they could tie it with a FG. Of course they scored the TD, but if you put them in a situation where they had to go for the TD with a FG not being an option, who knows how that plays out. And then the Texans would have only needed a FG to win if they did score a TD and the Texans were one 12-15 yard completion away from being in FG range at the end. Less than that if Tunsil isn't going early 2 plays in a row.

But again, no real issue with a 1 win team going for it there and trying to seal the deal. Unfortunately they had no Pierce, and yes, putting the ball in Burkhead's hands on 1st and 3rd down, or hell, any down at any time for that matter, is about as dumb as it gets. No way this guy should be drawing an NFL paycheck.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Good point. I don't think anyone expected the Texans to have a winning record. The weekly clown show where every apect of the team appears incompetent is what annoys and frustrates fans.
Vegas just want to throw the Texans fans the tip of a carrot stick to keep them interested.

Here, chomp on this. That's all you get as an early Christmas present. :brando:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
lol ITS ALL FACTUAL. Lovie IS well respected around the league. Lovie WAS here at the absolute height of the dysfunction in 2021. He knew 1st hand what was going on around here…better than most….certainly more than an outside candidate would’ve known anyway.

The key here is AT THE TIME….at the time the decision was made these were things that had value to this franchise reeling from dysfunction and having lawsuits rained down on them.
Lovie is well respected around the league?

Based on what?

There's always the courtesy and decency talks people in the league show one another; it's called professionalism.

But what have Lovie done to earn the respect?
(I'm not trying to put Lovie down here; I'm just interested in the facts.)

mussop

Hall of Fame
And I said he was looking like a rookie
lol I went to the store to buy some Reese’s peanut butter cups ended up buying some beer. Moral of the story? I like titties. that’s what it’s like talking to you.

What does looking like a rookie even mean to you? To me it means occasionally making a mistake Not consistently getting pushed around like a bisch.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
lol I went to the store to buy some Reese’s peanut butter cups ended up buying some beer. Moral of the story? I like titties. that’s what it’s like talking to you.

What does looking like a rookie even mean to you? To me it means occasionally making a mistake Not consistently getting pushed around like a bisch.
ok. I don't drink anymore so can't really relate to you

austins23

Hall of Fame
So, while I still think they should have taken the FG, I understand why you go for it there. And if you don’t get the TD, you leave the opponent with 98 yards to go for a TD to beat you. At the very least you’re goin to OT. Wait, what?! 98 yards for a TD?? Yep, 98 yards. Tuhhrible!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You got me. I guess everyone else has Cal on record saying he wanted Lovie to stay on as DC... or is that just as much rumor as what I'm saying?

None of those guys got a 2nd interview. It was a sham, just like the Giants interviewing Flores after they already offered the job to Daboll.

I wouldn't be griping if O'Connell was still on the list when Nick "chose" Gannon. But they "chose" Gannon when no one else was left.

Looks like you're going to believe whatever rumor you decide is true. That's OK. Bottom line, this is a clusterf & it's getting more clustery.
How is it getting more clustery?

I didn't mind it either. You score and it's a 2 possession game and probably over. Don't know if taking the chip shot 3 might have been a better option though. As it was, the Cowboys knew they could tie it with a FG. Of course they scored the TD, but if you put them in a situation where they had to go for the TD with a FG not being an option, who knows how that plays out. And then the Texans would have only needed a FG to win if they did score a TD and the Texans were one 12-15 yard completion away from being in FG range at the end. Less than that if Tunsil isn't going early 2 plays in a row.

But again, no real issue with a 1 win team going for it there and trying to seal the deal. Unfortunately they had no Pierce, and yes, putting the ball in Burkhead's hands on 1st and 3rd down, or hell, any down at any time for that matter, is about as dumb as it gets. No way this guy should be drawing an NFL paycheck.
By extension, the problem was overplaying Driskel in that spot and not trying to pass the ball in with Mills. If Pierce was not injured then OK, you have a legitimate QB-read option possibility there. But with Burkhead in, Driskel is dead meat because there is no backfield threat to score, which made the 4th and 4 QB RO a stuuuuuuupid call by Pep.

Bottom line is, they overplayed Driskel in that spot and should have played Mills and attempted to pass the ball in for a TD from an early down position.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Anybody got an update on Damien Pierce and his injury?
Sure Thorn, I got one for ya!

Pierce was limping in the locker room after the game and wasn't made available to reporters. He indicated optimism to others that it's not a long-term injury. There is hope that it's not a long-term injury and that it's a normal sprained ankle, not a high-ankle sprain. Pierce will undergo a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday to determine the severity of the injury, according to a league source.
https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-rb-dameon-pierce-mri-dallas-cowboys-loss-recap-injury-ankle

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So, while I still think they should have taken the FG, I understand why you go for it there. And if you don’t get the TD, you leave the opponent with 98 yards to go for a TD to beat you. At the very least you’re goin to OT. Wait, what?! 98 yards for a TD?? Yep, 98 yards. Tuhhrible!
That would have been okay if they didn't turtle up on that 98 yard drive

dream_team

Hall of Fame
while i agree, kicking the fg there only means you’re down by 1 then after Dallas scores the TD…….then all you need is a FG to potentially win it…and even Mills with 50 or so secs left can move them into FG range..
So it's either try to score a TD from the one... OR kick a FG, hope the defense can stop their offense, but if not, hope that we can move the ball quickly to get into FG range?

Scoring a TD from the one sounds like the better option to me.

I'm totally ok with that decision.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Lovie is well respected around the league?

Based on what?

There's always the courtesy and decency talks people in the league show one another; it's called professionalism.

But what have Lovie done to earn the respect?
(I'm not trying to put Lovie down here; I'm just interested in the facts.)
He’s a professional guy who is well liked in the NFL/ College industry. He’s also a very smart man. Yes he’s well respected God fearing family man.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
So it's either try to score a TD from the one... OR kick a FG, hope the defense can stop their offense, but if not, hope that we can move the ball quickly to get into FG range?

Scoring a TD from the one sounds like the better option to me.

I'm totally ok with that decision.
i was ok with it as well…the issue was the playcall, personnel and formation.

mws

Rookie
He took a team to the Super Bowl. That earns a lot of respect in the NFL
This got me curious so I looked it up. There have been 59 HCs who have coached in a SB & 35 who have won at least 1.

When you think about how many hundreds (maybe thousands) of HCs there have been in professional football (first 4 SBs were before the AFL\NFL merger) since 1966 that is a pretty damn exclusive club.

In my opinion anybody who has managed to accomplish it has reached the peak of their profession & deserves our respect.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
In my opinion anybody who has managed to accomplish it has reached the peak of their profession & deserves our respect.
I respect what Lovie did 16 years ago. But there are only 3 other head coaches from 2006 that are NFL head coaches in 2022. I respect the hell out of Bill Parcells, head coach of the Cowboys back then. Doesn't mean I want him coaching my team, now.*

*Though I wouldn't mind having the Big Tuna in an organizational capacity.

mws

Rookie
I agree that the game can pass any HC by no matter how many SBs he has coached. That does appear to be the case with Lovie. I'm just saying that he had the credentials to be considered for the job last season. Now job performance is all that matters.

I agree about Parcells even though it did not work out so well for the Jaguars when they went with another old school type (Tom Coughlin).

beerlover

Hall of Fame
No reason to play Pierce unless he's 100% healthy.
yeah I sure wouldn’t want to expose him this point in the season. Stresses importance of having dual threat in backfield. To rest, keep fresh and have more than one viable option in situations like this past weekend in Dallas.

now that Texans got their stud safety in 2nd round (Petrie best pick of 2022 class) we can throw RB in 2nd/3rd round clusters. Defense played well enough if Texans improve offense will win some games and be competitive.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
A bust. Again, he said, “Green is looking like bust now. Good grief he’s bad”. Key words LOOKING LIKE. Stop being argumentative for no reason. He is looking like a bust.
Green was still playing injured (chest) despite the fact that he was not on the Injury Report last week. Then he suffered an ankle inj

Reactions: JB

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
A bust. Again, he said, “Green is looking like bust now. Good grief he’s bad”. Key words LOOKING LIKE. Stop being argumentative for no reason. He is looking like a bust.
Green was still playing injured (chest) despite the fact that he was not on the Injury Report. Then he suffered an ankle injury against the Cowboys.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Lovie is a good coach in 1982. In 2022, he is a joke. Let’s knock the crap off. Nobody is afraid of Lovie in 2022. Can we at least get back to reality, good Lord.
The conversation started with a comment that Lovie was a respected coach around the league and then another poster disputing that. No one has said anything about Lovie being a good coach now or fearing him at any time