Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
DHop is a better receiver than anyone currently on the Texans. Not so sure he is worth the cost though. Interesting idea. It'd give the midget someone to throw to that could actually catch.
If he wants to come back, it would probably have to be on NCs terms - iow, a team friendly deal.
And then what would Ariz want in draft compensation - I'm thinking at least #73?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If he wants to come back, it would probably have to be on NCs terms - iow, a team friendly deal.
And then what would Ariz want in draft compensation - I'm thinking at least #73?
Whatever his cost is, I don't think he's worth it. As we get our new QB, I'm pretty sure there'll also be a WR and C in there somewhere as well.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Whatever his cost is, I don't think he's worth it. As we get our new QB, I'm pretty sure there'll also be a WR and C in there somewhere as well.
Yeah he will want to get paid.
Still, I think he has something to offer as a leader in the receivers corp and is a possession receiver himself.
Agree you can still draft a new young gun to be the heir apparent but until the new guy can prove otherwise, Nuk is probably your #1 receiver.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Agreed. We’ve had prime Hopkins before. At best the team got to the divisional round. At worst they picked #1 overall. This team needs to find players entering their prime on rookie contracts. Not players leaving that status eating up the cap.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Agreed. We’ve had prime Hopkins before. At best the team got to the divisional round. At worst they picked #1 overall. This team needs to find players entering their prime on rookie contracts. Not players leaving that status eating up the cap.
I believe the Texans could get a deal done for WR, Denzel Mims of the Jets. I don't think it has much to do about getting the job done as much as it might have something to do with their QB(s). If Rodgers signs, he may want Mims to stay with the team b/c he could stretch the field much more effectively with A-A-Ron under center. His limited production shows he still has the wheels to get behind defenses:

SUMMARY
CAT: / 2022 / Career
G:
10 / 30
AV: 1 / 5
REC: 11 / 42
YDS: 186 / 676
YPC: 16.9 / 16.1
TD: 0 / 0

In my book....the Jets did not target him nearly enough.

As for getting a deal done, I'd have no issues with offering Nico Collins straight up. I believe Rodgers could get just as excited with a possession receiver like Collins in his huddle.

As for the Texans....Mims would check the box for a receiver that could top a defense. As for receivers in the draft....go AT Perry (Wake Forest /6-3.5 @ 198 lbs / 4.47-40) to replace Collins and add Andrei Iosivas (Princeton / 6-3 @ 200 lbs / 4.43-40) for depth a little later in the draft.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I believe the Texans could get a deal done for WR, Denzel Mims of the Jets. I don't think it has much to do about getting the job done as much as it might have something to do with their QB(s). If Rodgers signs, he may want Mims to stay with the team b/c he could stretch the field much more effectively with A-A-Ron under center.
I had a PR person once upon a time.

I don't think they worked a quarter as hard for me as you work for Mims.

:bravo:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I believe the Texans could get a deal done for WR, Denzel Mims of the Jets. I don't think it has much to do about getting the job done as much as it might have something to do with their QB(s). If Rodgers signs, he may want Mims to stay with the team b/c he could stretch the field much more effectively with A-A-Ron under center. His limited production shows he still has the wheels to get behind defenses:

SUMMARY
G:
10 / 30

As for getting a deal done, I'd have no issues with offering Nico Collins straight up. I believe Rodgers could get just as excited with a possession receiver like Collins in his huddle.

As for the Texans....Mims would check the box for a receiver that could top a defense. As for receivers in the draft....go AT Perry (Wake Forest /6-3.5 @ 198 lbs / 4.47-40) to replace Collins and add Andrei Iosivas (Princeton / 6-3 @ 200 lbs / 4.43-40) for depth a little later in the draft.
Have you watched some Jonathan Mingo? Looks like a poor man's AJ Brown.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

SUMMARY
G:
10 / 30

How many times are you going to post this scenario. Mims is not that guy pal.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
WR depth chart:

Woods
Collins
Metchie
Brown
Dell

Have the classic Shanahan style WRs that can run block and then you have the weapon X in Dell that can separate quickly and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

No clear WR1 but the 100 + catch alpha wasn’t available in this year’s draft imo. This is a good enough unit this year. Overall an improved pass catching unit from last year when accounting for depth and varied skillsets.

Still an opportunity to grab another player as well. I mocked Ronnie Bell to the Texans with one of the 6ths, he’d fit right in with this group.

WR depth chart:

Woods
Collins
Metchie
Brown
Dell

Have the classic Shanahan style WRs that can run block and then you have the weapon X in Dell that can separate quickly and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

No clear WR1 but the 100 + catch alpha wasn’t available in this year’s draft imo. This is a good enough unit this year. Overall an improved pass catching unit from last year when accounting for depth and varied skillsets.

Still an opportunity to grab another player as well. I mocked Ronnie Bell to the Texans with one of the 6ths, he’d fit right in with this group.
This is the pre-draft analysis on Bell from ESPN.

“Bell is a savvy and crisp route runner who knows how to set up defensive backs and shows plus burst getting out of breaks. He has a good feel for how to attack zone looks. His ball skills are probably his strongest trait. Bell has good hand-eye coordination, can pluck the ball out of the air, has the body control to adjust and has good sideline awareness. -- Steve Muench”

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I did say no clear WR1 on this roster. But Metchie did catch 96 passes his final college season (injured in SEC title game) and Tank Dell got to 109 catches this past season with 90 in 2021. Maybe there will be a 100+ catch alpha on the roster… or maybe i’m just wishful thinking like I usually do this time of year :)
Well looks like the Texans just added another 100+ catch alpha to the roster! Xavier Hutchinson 107 catches in 2022 for Iowa State. Brock Purdy’s favorite target in college.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This wide receiver room has a lot of “redundancies” built in this season. I see 6 making the team and honestly not a lot of separation between them. Going to come down to just how healthy they are I suppose.

Woods is the elder statesman. Will lead the group in snaps if I had to project but not sure he leads in receptions. Will teach the young WR group different tricks of the trade and make timely plays when called upon.

Collins and Brown will battle it out for the X WR job. Collins is the more talented player and i’d favor him to win out and set up a career year with Stroud throwing to him and a better offensive system for his talents. But he’s gotta stay healthy. Brown is a dog and will get the most out of his ability. Brown should be going back to being mainly a ST player if Collins wins the job.

Metchie is a question mark. He was drafted and comped to Robert Woods. No elite traits but a smart football player that does the dirty work. Good solid dependable football player. Hopefully he is fully recovered and can be “prime Robert Woods” for this team.

Dell is the most dynamic weapon of the bunch. I expect the team to manufacture around 6-8 touches per game for him. Whether it’s traditional pass catching or different jet sweep type plays. Get him the ball in space and good things will happen.

Xavier Hutchinson is going to be a solid dependable player. Very similar to Jakobi Meyers coming out imo. Though Hutchinson played outside more in college than Meyers. He can play any WR position and I expect him to find a role.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
This wide receiver room has a lot of “redundancies” built in this season. I see 6 making the team and honestly not a lot of separation between them. Going to come down to just how healthy they are I suppose.

Woods is the elder statesman. Will lead the group in snaps if I had to project but not sure he leads in receptions. Will teach the young WR group different tricks of the trade and make timely plays when called upon.

Collins and Brown will battle it out for the X WR job. Collins is the more talented player and i’d favor him to win out and set up a career year with Stroud throwing to him and a better offensive system for his talents. But he’s gotta stay healthy. Brown is a dog and will get the most out of his ability. Brown should be going back to being mainly a ST player if Collins wins the job.

Metchie is a question mark. He was drafted and comped to Robert Woods. No elite traits but a smart football player that does the dirty work. Good solid dependable football player. Hopefully he is fully recovered and can be “prime Robert Woods” for this team.

Dell is the most dynamic weapon of the bunch. I expect the team to manufacture around 6-8 touches per game for him. Whether it’s traditional pass catching or different jet sweep type plays. Get him the ball in space and good things will happen.

Xavier Hutchinson is going to be a solid dependable player. Very similar to Jakobi Meyers coming out imo. Though Hutchinson played outside more in college than Meyers. He can play any WR position and I expect him to find a role.
They broke camp with basically 4 WRs the last 2 years. 5 in ‘21 but one was Andre Roberts who was listed as WR but was really just a returner. I know it’s a new staff and all but will they really roster 6 WRs? Health could be a factor, but I could see some interesting cuts coming. Hutchinson maybe to the practice squad?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They broke camp with basically 4 WRs the last 2 years. 5 in ‘21 but one was Andre Roberts who was listed as WR but was really just a returner. I know it’s a new staff and all but will they really roster 6 WRs? Health could be a factor, but I could see some interesting cuts coming. Hutchinson maybe to the practice squad?
I think part of that grouping were due to practice squad elevation rules put in place post Covid. The team was able to carry Chris Conley on practice squad and roster him game day for I think three weeks without adding him permanently to the active roster.

I think this year its more likely they can hold onto someone like say Brevin Jordan on the practice squad for an elevation if needed than a player like Hutchinson.

But you’re right. I’m sure it’ll be game plan specific as well and we’ll know more when we see the early season schedule and also where the injuries are…

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I like perusing this list.
It shows Houston Texans players Tank Dell and Xavier Hutchinson in a great light considering where we took them.
You can also see some prominent names in next year's draft featured there too.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
I like perusing this list.
It shows Houston Texans players Tank Dell and Xavier Hutchinson in a great light considering where we took them.
You can also see some prominent names in next year's draft featured there too.
Good stuff, shows Tank was the best receiver in his class.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Tank and and Xavier will face a steep uptick in the quality of their opponent in the big-time but should still be okay.
Take a look at the last guy on page 1 - Matt Landers. Had almost 19 yards per reception but oddly enough only averaged about 3.2 receptions per game and played in the SEC.
He went undrafted but the Seahawks obviously did some homework on him and snagged him.
He also ran a 4:37 40.
Could be the steal of the whole draft process!

Last edited:

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
I like Tank but Jaxon Smith-Njigba is probably the best receiver taken in the 23' draft, although that kid out of TCU also looks really good. Chris Olave and Garret Wilson both said that JSN was the best receiver on the team in 2021. JSN is the reason that Jameson Williams left Ohio State and transferred to Alabama.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I like Tank but Jaxon Smith-Njigba is probably the best receiver taken in the 23' draft, although that kid out of TCU also looks really good. Chris Olave and Garret Wilson both said that JSN was the best receiver on the team in 2021. JSN is the reason that Jameson Williams left Ohio State and transferred to Alabama.
And 2022 was why there was concern.

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
That's what hamstring and groin injuries do
Yea, I know. I suffered a hamstring injury playing pick-up football when I was 19. It healed, mostly. I played men's softball in my 20's and every now and then I'd tweak it and have to ease up. I'm 56 now and still feel it once in a while.