Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

The Houston Texans shouldn't be too quick to add veteran receivers to the roster at this particular juncture of the offseason.

The Texans have completely remade their WR corps. Only Nico and late last season addition Amari Rodgers remain that were on active roster last season. I think they are set on who they are taking to camp this season. And I think they are more than adequate to field a competent NFL offense this season.

I’d like them to find a bonafide WR1 next year’s draft to take the offense to the next level. But right now, I think they can score points with the weapons they have.

The Houston Texans shouldn't be too quick to add veteran receivers to the roster at this particular juncture of the offseason.

WR1
Nico Collins (3) / 6-4 @ 215 lbs / 4.42-40
Xavier Hutchinson (R) / 6-2 @ 205 lbs / 4.53-40 (Iowa State)
Amari Rodgers (3) / 5-9 @ 212 lbs / 4.40-40
Jared Wayne (R) / 6-3 @ 210 lbs / 4.53-40 (Pittsburgh)

WR2
John Metchie III (IR/R) / 5-11 @ 187 lbs / 4.48-40 (Alabama)
Noah Brown (7) / 6-2 @ 215 lbs / 4.55-40
Jalen Camp (1) / 6-2 @ 220 lbs / 4.43-40
Alex Bachman (1) / 5-11 @ 190 lbs / 4.40-40

SWR
Robert Woods (11) / 6-0 @ 195 lbs / 4.51-40
Tank Dell (R) / 5-8 @ 165 lbs / 4.49-40 (Houston)
Steven Sims (4) / 5-10 @ 176 lbs / 4.56-40
Johnny Johnson III (1) / 6-0 @ 199 lbs / 4.60-40
Jesse Mathews (R) / 5-11 @ 190 lbs / 4.52-40 (SDSU)

This is the current group going into camp.

Robert Woods "most definitely" feels he can still be a 1,000-yard receiver - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

When will they stop using a 1,000 yard season as a benchmark? It was impressive when there were 12 and 14 game seasons. Much less so in 16 and 17 game seasons. You've gotta average 58 yds a game to reach 1,000 yards in a 17 game season. This is now a passing league, with rules geared towards offense. The benchmark should be moved up to 1,300 yards or so for a standout season, or 77 yards per game.

Robert Woods "most definitely" feels he can still be a 1,000-yard receiver - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

When will they stop using a 1,000 yard season as a benchmark? It was impressive when there were 12 and 14 game seasons. Much less so in 16 and 17 game seasons. You've gotta average 58 yds a game to reach 1,000 yards in a 17 game season. This is now a passing league, with rules geared towards offense. The benchmark should be moved up to 1,300 yards or so for a standout season, or 77 yards per game.

If every team was having a 1,000 yard receiver. But in the two years of a 17-game season, that hasn't happened. Less than 25 WR's both seasons. Same goes for the 16-game seasons from 2015-2020 with the exception of one season.

Just because high utilization/target guys like Jefferson, Adams, Hill and Diggs go for 1,500-1,800 doesn't mean that the rest of the league is raising the benchmark.

This last year neither Rodgers or Herbert had a 1,000 yard receiver.

If every team was having a 1,000 yard receiver. But in the two years of a 17-game season, that hasn't happened. Less than 25 WR's both seasons. Same goes for the 16-game seasons from 2015-2020 with the exception of one season.

Just because high utilization/target guys like Jefferson, Adams, Hill and Diggs go for 1,500-1,800 doesn't mean that the rest of the league is raising the benchmark.

This last year neither Rodgers or Herbert had a 1,000 yard receiver.
1,000 yards is a good season, but it's no longer exceptional like it was back when Jim Brown and OJ Simpson was playing the game. I've brought this up in the past. I'm not saying the bar should be raised to ridiculous levels for a season to be called exceptional.

EDIT: For reference sake, here are the top RBs and WRs from 1977, last season for 14 games. 0 1k WRs
1977 NFL Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com
9 1k RBs
1977 NFL Rushing | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Here are the same stats for 1978
4 1k WRs
1978 NFL Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com
11 1k RBs
1978 NFL Rushing | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Here are the same stats for 2022
22 1k WRs
2022 NFL Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com
16 1k RBs.
2022 NFL Rushing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:
1,000 yards is a good season, but it's no longer exceptional like it was back when Jim Brown and OJ Simpson was playing the game. I've brought this up in the past. I'm not saying the bar should be raised to ridiculous levels for a season to be called exceptional.

EDIT: For reference sake, here are the top RBs and WRs from 1977, last season for 14 games. 0 1k WRs
9 1k RBs
4 1k WRs
11 1k RBs
22 1k WRs
16 1k RBs.
Can you give Texans one of those unexceptional 1,000 yarder WRs?

9 1k RBs
4 1k WRs
11 1k RBs
22 1k WRs
16 1k RBs.

Not disagreeing with the overall premise that 1,000 isn't "exceptional" anymore. More saying that it is still really hard to do as only 18 teams in 2022 had a 1,000 WR. And that these super high utilization elite guys tend to skew the perceptions. A 1,200 yard season would have been in the top 10 in 2022 yet still 600 yards less than Jefferson who led the league. I think the comma is still a good separator of talent.

Not disagreeing with the overall premise that 1,000 isn't "exceptional" anymore. More saying that it is still really hard to do as only 18 teams in 2022 had a 1,000 WR. And that these super high utilization elite guys tend to skew the perceptions. A 1,200 yard season would have been in the top 10 in 2022 yet still 600 yards less than Jefferson who led the league. I think the comma is still a good separator of talent.
Not only that but the ball is being spread around on most teams much more. 4K passing used to be rare but last year there was 8 4K passers and another over 5K

You're saying exactly what I'm saying. The benchmark should be exceptional, not average. Sure it's not easy, but is it truly exceptional? Back in 14 game seasons, it was. Now, not so much.

Not only that but the ball is being spread around on most teams much more. 4K passing used to be rare but last year there was 8 4K passers and another over 5K
That should make hitting 1200+ yards exceptional. Nowadays there are all kinds of 1k receivers and running backs. It's not special. It's expected out of a WR 1 or RB 1. If a team can produce multiple 1k WRs & RBs, then that is exceptionable. 5k passing has become the standard for exceptional QB seasons. Why shouldn't the standard progress for WRs? 1k yards in a 17 game season? 58 yards per game. Not particularly dominant in a passing league.

That should make hitting 1200+ yards exceptional. Nowadays there are all kinds of 1k receivers and running backs. It's not special. It's expected out of a WR 1 or RB 1. If a team can produce multiple 1k WRs & RBs, then that is exceptionable. 5k passing has become the standard for exceptional QB seasons. Why shouldn't the standard progress for WRs? 1k yards in a 17 game season? 58 yards per game. Not particularly dominant in a passing league.
I don't disagree but having 1 5K passers in a year does not make it the standard. And having 1/4 of total passing yards in todays games is still exceptional in my opinion

I don't disagree but having 1 5K passers in a year does not make it the standard. And having 1/4 of total passing yards in todays games is still exceptional in my opinion
Having 4k passers as the standard does make that the standard,

Having 4k passers as the standard does make that the standard,
okay... so you are saying a team should have less than 4 pass catchers for one receiver to have a good year? Or are you saying 1K is not a good year?

Considering Woods has only had two 1,000 yard seasons in his 10 year career, I think 1,000 is a nice round number to shoot for. Also, the Texans have only had 3 players to ever hit 1,000. AJ, Nuk and Cooks. That's it. They've all done it multiple times of course, but still.

I get that the numbers don't mean what they used to. I mean to hit 1,000 yards in a 17 game season you just have to average 58.8 yards per game. That's not a lot, particularly for a WR1.

In these 1st 2 seasons of 17 games, there's been an average of 24 players hit 1,000 yards. The average was 21 the last 4 years of a 16 game schedule. Also, an average of 7 players have hit 1,300 yards the last 2 seasons. An average of 6 the 4 seasons prior.

15 teams, including the Texans, did not have a 1,000 yard receiver last season. So yeah, 58.8 yards per game seems like nothing, but nearly half the league's teams didn't have a single receiver hit the mark last year. So I think 1,000 yards is still a good bench mark, not elite stuff mind you, but still a good marker. Now, you want to start talking elite WR1s, then yeah, 1,300 is a probably good starting point.

Considering Woods has only had two 1,000 yard seasons in his 10 year career, I think 1,000 is a nice round number to shoot for. Also, the Texans have only had 3 players to ever hit 1,000. AJ, Nuk and Cooks. That's it. They've all done it multiple times of course, but still.

I get that the numbers don't mean what they used to. I mean to hit 1,000 yards in a 17 game season you just have to average 58.8 yards per game. That's not a lot, particularly for a WR1.

In these 1st 2 seasons of 17 games, there's been an average of 24 players hit 1,000 yards. The average was 21 the last 4 years of a 16 game schedule. Also, an average of 7 players have hit 1,300 yards the last 2 seasons. An average of 6 the 4 seasons prior.

15 teams, including the Texans, did not have a 1,000 yard receiver last season. So yeah, 58.8 yards per game seems like nothing, but nearly half the league's teams didn't have a single receiver hit the mark last year. So I think 1,000 yards is still a good bench mark, not elite stuff mind you, but still a good marker. Now, you want to start talking elite WR1s, then yeah, 1,300 is a probably good starting point.
Yeah but..

Woods says he thinks he can have another 1,000 yard season...

There were only 10 teams last year that had a 1,000 yard receiver and 1,000 yard rusher. There were only 5 teams that had two 1,000 yard receivers. There were only two teams that had two 1,000 yard receivers and one 1,000 yard rusher. Less than half the teams had a 1,000 yard rusher and barely more than half had a 1,000 yard receiver. It feels like your definition of exceptional is actually elite.

Reactions: JB
You're saying exactly what I'm saying. The benchmark should be exceptional, not average. Sure it's not easy, but is it truly exceptional? Back in 14 game seasons, it was. Now, not so much.

Agree with what you are saying other than a 1,000 yard season is average. If that is what you are saying.

And if he's only had two in ten years, what is the hope that he will succeed? I too hope Woods gets his wish but this board is notorious for saying "where's the beef?"
Not sure what you're arguing. I said 1,000 yards was a good number for him to shoot for. It isn't totally out of the question since he has accomplished it before. So if he thinks that's a good number to shoot for, I don't disagree. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks he gets there or not is irrelevant. I was also responding to the poster questioning why 1,000 yards was still a relevant number.

And I couldn't care less what this board is known for. A couple of trolls here have turned it into a shitshow anyway. Of course, can't just blame them because a majority of this board keeps feeding them and playing their game.

Not sure what you're arguing. I said 1,000 yards was a good number for him to shoot for. It isn't totally out of the question since he has accomplished it before. So if he thinks that's a good number to shoot for, I don't disagree. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks he gets there or not is irrelevant. I was also responding to the poster questioning why 1,000 yards was still a relevant number.

And I couldn't care less what this board is known for. A couple of trolls here have turned it into a shitshow anyway. Of course, can't just blame them because a majority of this board keeps feeding them and playing their game.
A **** show?

Just because everyone isn't on board with what the McNair's are doing?

Maybe your spreadsheet look at the game is contributing to the decline of this MB. I know this was a much better place before they shut the old MB down. Posters actually knew each other personally.

RIP Texan Bill, Joe Texan.

I don't really think I was arguing just pointing out that there is absolutely no reason to think that Robert Woods will have a 1000 yd season. Of course, it's something to hope for just not likely.

I‘m hedging a bit but I agree that 1,000 is not the best standard any longer for what it was initially measuring, Which I believe was eliteness or exceptionality. I realize that the ball is being spread out more, which is a great point. I also understand that a low percentage of players achieve the 1,000 yard mark. But when the 1,000 yard barrier was first surpassed it was 1945 and there were only 9 games. When players hit the 1,000 yard mark it was elite. That’s why it was such a great achievement. I don’t know where the bar should be but 1,000 yards isn’t what it once was is the main point, I think. On another note. Looking up the 1,000 yard season stats I was shocked to see in 1951 Elroy Hirsch of the Los Angeles Rams had 1,495 yards in 12 games. Averaged more yards per game than any other WR in history. Wow.

I‘m hedging a bit but I agree that 1,000 is not the best standard any longer for what it was initially measuring, Which I believe was eliteness or exceptionality. I realize that the ball is being spread out more, which is a great point. I also understand that a low percentage of players achieve the 1,000 yard mark. But when the 1,000 yard barrier was first surpassed it was 1945 and there were only 9 games. When players hit the 1,000 yard mark it was elite. That’s why it was such a great achievement. I don’t know where the bar should be but 1,000 yards isn’t what it once was is the main point, I think. On another note. Looking up the 1,000 yard season stats I was shocked to see in 1951 Elroy Hirsch of the Los Angeles Rams had 1,495 yards in 12 games. Averaged more yards per game than any other WR in history. Wow.

1,000 yard season is mostly relevant, because it's a nice benchmark number. To me it should at least represent the top 10 receivers in the league. If we go by last year's stats there were 22 players who had 1,000 yards or more.. If you want a number that represents the top 10, that would be 1,200 yards. #s 1-8 on the receiving yards list had more than 1,200 yards and #9 and 10 had 1,196 and 1,191 yards respectfully.. If you want a number that represents the top 5 it's 1,400 yards, top 3.. 1,500.

Last edited:
In the interest of conversation, I would add that it can't simply be viewed as a WR thing either.
There is far more to that number. Who is your starting QB? Is it Davis Mills (sorry), a running QB like Fields, or Josh Allen?
Having a sub par QB is not the same as a QB who makes plays with his legs or is an elite talent.
How good is the WR corps? The Bengals have arguably the best 1-3 in the league, with two 1000 yard WR's.
Would that be the case without Burrow? Is Chase average because he had a tick over 1000? Would he have more without Higgins and Boyd?
Do teams have a pass catching TE that vultures targets? What about above average receiving RB's out of the backfield?
What about having a coach that is all about the run setting up the pass, so your QB doesn't have as many attempts each game?

We could go on and on with the discussion.
On one hand I can agree with 1000 yards not being what it once was, while simultaneously arguing that (depending on the situation) it may be harder. Tyler Boyd has had two 1000 yard seasons. If he hits 1000 alongside Chase and Higgins now, that's a minor miracle.

This time of the football season is always about the "Competition" with one position group or another.
I mean that's what OTA's and camps are all about, but fans seem to latch onto that as if it's some kind of indicator or success.
I'm not saying it is in this instance, but what if that position group is devoid of talent? Whoever comes out of top, still sucks.

The Bengals o-line has had all kinds of "Amazing Competition" over the years and 5 guys earned starting roles.
The next season rolls around and some of those 5 left the team or contracts were up. That's normal.
What's not normal is some of those guys that won the "Amazing Competition" two seasons ago, can't make a roster today.
They were just the best they had at the time. It didn't mean they were producing quality players.

Maybe it's o-line PTSD I've developed over the years...

1 surprising Texans player who could make or break 2023 NFL season
Story by Alex Sabri

AA1ewRJL.img

I’m still not sure if the Texans have truly identified who their WR1 is for the upcoming season. I believe this is the game that dictates the narrative. If the answer doesn’t present itself, then it’s probably time for Caserio to try and find one.

1. Mike Evans (TB) could be a decent target as the Bucs might be willing to unload his contract. He’s locked for 2023, but would need to be locked up with a new contract…..if not, the Texans would certainly gain a RD3 comp pick. Biggest gain, obtaining a WR1 who’s put up 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. To make this happen, I could see offering Nico Collins and a mid pick in 2024 and another pick in 2025. I believe SI did a similar deal with the receiving team giving TB picks in 2024 (RD3) and 2025 (RD3). Collins gives TB an experienced, and currently healthy, young replacement at much less money.

2. Denzel Mims (FA) was just released by the Lions. According to their site, he was pretty impressive in their camp, but suffered an ankle injury, the a calf strain. They put him out on the street, which makes him an extremely cheap pickup if the team wanted to kick the tires. He’s still a 6-2, 4.3-40 WR. Bring him back to Texas and hope that some home-cooking brings the best out of him.

I’m still not sure if the Texans have truly identified who their WR1 is for the upcoming season. I believe this is the game that dictates the narrative. If the answer doesn’t present itself, then it’s probably time for Caserio to try and find one.

1. Mike Evans (TB) could be a decent target as the Bucs might be willing to unload his contract. He’s locked for 2023, but would need to be locked up with a new contract…..if not, the Texans would certainly gain a RD3 comp pick. Biggest gain, obtaining a WR1 who’s put up 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. To make this happen, I could see offering Nico Collins and a mid pick in 2024 and another pick in 2025. I believe SI did a similar deal with the receiving team giving TB picks in 2024 (RD3) and 2025 (RD3). Collins gives TB an experienced, and currently healthy, young replacement at much less money.

2. Denzel Mims (FA) was just released by the Lions. According to their site, he was pretty impressive in their camp, but suffered an ankle injury, the a calf strain. They put him out on the street, which makes him an extremely cheap pickup if the team wanted to kick the tires. He’s still a 6-2, 4.3-40 WR. Bring him back to Texas and hope that some home-cooking brings the best out of him.

Offering Denzel Mims in the same post as Mike Evans as a WR1 candidate is certainly optimistic thinking!

Tank Dell. We can draft a true #1 next year. For now, woods and Tank are the top 2 guys imho. Woods is the old reliable, move the chains guy, and tank is well…Tank. Dynamic in all facets. I’m becoming a huge Tank fan very quickly.

Mims imo isn’t a number 1. You’re in love with you some Mims. Give it up brother, I don’t think he’ll become a Texan.

Tank Dell. We can draft a true #1 next year. For now, woods and Tank are the top 2 guys imho. Woods is the old reliable, move the chains guy, and tank is well…Tank. Dynamic in all facets. I’m becoming a huge Tank fan very quickly.
In my fantasy I'm hoping for once some luck shines on the WR group with at least 2 of the younger guys excelling: Collins, Metchie, Tank and Hutchinson. If they perform above the coaches' expectations, then I could see them targeting an athletic TE in next year's draft.

Back