Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

I’m still not sure if the Texans have truly identified who their WR1 is for the upcoming season. I believe this is the game that dictates the narrative. If the answer doesn’t present itself, then it’s probably time for Caserio to try and find one.

1. Mike Evans (TB) could be a decent target as the Bucs might be willing to unload his contract. He’s locked for 2023, but would need to be locked up with a new contract…..if not, the Texans would certainly gain a RD3 comp pick. Biggest gain, obtaining a WR1 who’s put up 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. To make this happen, I could see offering Nico Collins and a mid pick in 2024 and another pick in 2025. I believe SI did a similar deal with the receiving team giving TB picks in 2024 (RD3) and 2025 (RD3). Collins gives TB an experienced, and currently healthy, young replacement at much less money.

2. Denzel Mims (FA) was just released by the Lions. According to their site, he was pretty impressive in their camp, but suffered an ankle injury, the a calf strain. They put him out on the street, which makes him an extremely cheap pickup if the team wanted to kick the tires. He’s still a 6-2, 4.3-40 WR. Bring him back to Texas and hope that some home-cooking brings the best out of him.
How would a team "kick the tires" on Mims? Sign him and immediately place him on PUP or IR?

Im biased as I am a Nico Collins believer but this tweet

Showcases a stat called “prayer yards” which is air yards on passes deemed uncatchable. Last year attempted passes to Collins traveled 744 yards, of those 418 were deemed uncatchable. The second highest percentage in the NFL.
Replace the x with Twitter and we will be able to see it without clicking the link.

I’m expecting Robert Woods and Nico Collins to be listed as starters. But Dell to lead the WRs in touches between returns and misdirection running plays. He’s the best weapon in the group and the team will find ways to get the ball in his hands.
8-15 touches per game. Including ST's

Biggest problem right now is not the receivers or the QB, it's the line. Receivers aren't doing bad, considering.
I mean we still need Stroud to play better and we still need to add some more juice to WR next offseason but I agree.

Was mostly just here to take a way too early victory lap as I’ve spent much of this summer defending Collins on here lol

I mean we still need Stroud to play better and we still need to add some more juice to WR next offseason but I agree.

Was mostly just here to take a way too early victory lap as I’ve spent much of this summer defending Collins on here lol

Trenches....trenches....trenches. Get this right, and any team has a better chance at getting the rest of it right.

DL had a really nice day and it helped the back end. I believe the skill positions on offense can be really decent....just need to see the OL get healthy and gel so the rest of the pieces have a chance to do their work.

I’ve already stated I don’t expect Metchie to be much of a contributor this season working back from cancer and various injuries. But it wont stop me from getting excited about the possibility!

Noah Brown’s injury opens up extra opportunity for potential playmakers to rise. Brown is a solid vet depth option but he was getting too many opportunities last week that needed to go to a more talented playmaker (looking at you Tank Dell on screens!)

Noah Brown’s injury opens up extra opportunity for potential playmakers to rise. Brown is a solid vet depth option but he was getting too many opportunities last week that needed to go to a more talented playmaker (looking at you Tank Dell on screens!)
Brown getting more snaps made sense if the Texans were trying to establish the run, rather than drop back 50 times. Slowik has said this week they will try to get the ball to Pierce. I expect more 12 personnel, with Collins and Woods as the wideouts.

Brown getting more snaps made sense if the Texans were trying to establish the run, rather than drop back 50 times. Slowik has said this week they will try to get the ball to Pierce. I expect more 12 personnel, with Collins and Woods as the wideouts.
I hope we see Stroud under center more and a FB leading the way for Pierce. I know Stroud doesn't have much experience under center. but that's a staple of the Shannahan system. That makes the play-action calls work.

I hope we see Stroud under center more and a FB leading the way for Pierce. I know Stroud doesn't have much experience under center. but that's a staple of the Shannahan system. That makes the play-action calls work.
Stroud needs to improve on his play fake; which is understandable.
On at least one play, I noticed the LBs didn't advance as Stroud's fake was so half-hearted.

The sooner the LBs drop back, the smaller the window he has to fit the ball into.

After a quick rewatch of the offense (couldn't bear to watch that 1st half defense again) and thinking back to the Ravens game it definitely seems like the WR corps has more juice than most people anticipated. Trying to find some more bright spots in a dismal day basically.

Robert Woods has more in the tank than a lot of people anticipated. He's not gonna terrify any defense but he just gets open and so far has been a very solid target for Stroud.

Nico Collins has been very sharp especially over the middle of the field, has great hands, and has even flashed some YAC ability which has been nice.

Tank Dell is someone who I wasn't as high on as a lot of fellow Texans fans but he's certainly flashed a bit. He can create separation and today he did something we have seldom seen Texans WR's do since Dhop was traded. He caught a ball and made someone miss (his TD catch).

More exciting group than most imagined which is promising.

I loved the performance of the “big 3” Collins, Woods and Dell.

Dare I say it… Collins looked like a legit WR1 yesterday. Dell gets open quickly and can create after the catch. Woods is the reliable security blanket when the play breaks down.

I’m hoping the team can get two good seasons out of Woods. Then Metchie or Hutchinson are able to fill that role.

WR has become a much lower need to me next offseason if the first two games are any indication.

Dare I say it… Collins looked like a legit WR1 yesterday. Dell gets open quickly and can create after the catch. Woods is the reliable security blanket when the play breaks down.

I’m hoping the team can get two good seasons out of Woods. Then Metchie or Hutchinson are able to fill that role.

WR has become a much lower need to me next offseason if the first two games are any indication.
Xavier Hutchinson should be able to step into the role seamlessly. He has created separation and has shown good hands when he's come in and had his number called.

Somehow someway we need to get Schlutz involved as well.

Unfortunately must take a week off from my Collins victory lap. My guy went pretty unnoticed today with just a few catches for 35 yards. However he did have a great run after the catch that would have been more impactful had it not occurred at the very end of the first half. He also had a drop on a difficult catch attempt on third down. It was a well covered throw but realistically in the NFL you gotta come down with that.

Hopefully he can bring it back next week, Tank Dell took the reigns this week and was excellent

Unfortunately must take a week off from my Collins victory lap. My guy went pretty unnoticed today with just a few catches for 35 yards. However he did have a great run after the catch that would have been more impactful had it not occurred at the very end of the first half. He also had a drop on a difficult catch attempt on third down. It was a well covered throw but realistically in the NFL you gotta come down with that.

Hopefully he can bring it back next week, Tank Dell took the reigns this week and was excellent

coming into the game Nico was 1 of the top yardage WR’s in the League. It’s realistic to believe that the jags showed him some extra attention..which in turn opened things up for Dell. So I wouldn’t say he “disappeared” per se..it’s just what happens when you’re beasting; teams take notice and adjust accordingly.

Back