Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
It’s not worth the dead money to trade him for a 4th

if Nick does this he never should have restructured that contract.

Trading Cooks for a 4th now is a bad move for a rebuilding team
That dude has checked out, you can tell especially if he's supposed to be a culture guy. Tunsil is just a pro. He comes in , does his job,gets paid, and goes home. I wouldn't give him away, but he's in his feelings and probably tired of losing. KGH go his release because he has no value. Quinn had 18.5 sacks last year and went for a 4th to a team already top 5 in defense. I like Cooks, I really do, but it makes no sense keeping around.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Upon further review, the cost of moving Cooks wouldn't make since this season or in 2023. I'd like to see Pep get a little creative with his receivers by rotating Cooks, Moore and Dorsett from the 1, 2, and Slot spots.....even within the same series. Get the TE's a little more involved with some rub plays to free up the receivers and exposing the seems with Aikens and Howard.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I wonder how Cooks contract could be reworked to get around that dead money. Would the Texans have to guarantee it or convert it to a bonus and then trade him?

But to just get a 4th is probably not worth the trouble.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I wonder how Cooks contract could be reworked to get around that dead money. Would the Texans have to guarantee it or convert it to a bonus and then trade him?

But to just get a 4th is probably not worth the trouble.
Could they restructure his contract to pay him all the remaining monies (~ 22M) as a signing bonus on a 1 week contract? Or maybe a sign and trade?

vtech9

All Pro
If the deal can be worked out to trade Cooks, I say go for it. It's becoming more and more obvious that Cooks won't be a part of the Texans future. Why not go ahead and start working on some of the young guys, and see who can be part of the Texans future?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If the Texans are serious about moving Cooks, then Caserio needs to go shopping. I could get behind adding a couple of low cost, in terms of trades, players before the deadline.

1. Denzel Mims- Jets / I'd contact the Jets about a Mims for Cooks deal and if it's a no go....offer the Jets a RD4 for Mims.

2. Marquez Callaway- Saints / I'd ask them for a RD5 and Callaway (RFA 2023) for Cooks. It would be interesting to see the Saints trade to bring Cooks back.

vtech9

All Pro
If the Texans are serious about moving Cooks, then Caserio needs to go shopping. I could get behind adding a couple of low cost, in terms of trades, players before the deadline.

1. Denzel Mims- Jets / I'd contact the Jets about a Mims for Cooks deal and if it's a no go....offer the Jets a RD4 for Mims.

2. Marquez Callaway- Saints / I'd ask them for a RD5 and Callaway (RFA 2023) for Cooks. It would be interesting to see the Saints trade to bring Cooks back.
Do the Rams, Chiefs, or Packers have anyone we would be willing to take in a 1/1 trade? They seem to be the top 3 teams mentioned.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Could they restructure his contract to pay him all the remaining monies (~ 22M) as a signing bonus on a 1 week contract? Or maybe a sign and trade?
The Browns took Brock Osweiler’s contract for a 2nd round pick. It was $16M. If we are to eat Cooks contract we got to get a first I would think.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It makes sense to let KGH walk now that Christian Harris is healthy. There are young LBs the team needs to see more of for development and evaluation.

The WRs however do not have that young talented player waiting for reps. Especially now that Collins is injured. Cooks is staying whether he likes it or not.
If you want to really suck then you make the trade. That's not a bad thing to suck and add a 3rd rd pick. What this really signals to me is that the Texans aren't going to be players in FA next off-season if a Cooks trade is made. That's not really a bad thing either.

You're looking at adding a Myles Jack type LB in FA rather than Smith.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
If you want to really suck then you make the trade. That's not a bad thing to suck and add a 3rd rd pick. What this really signals to me is that the Texans aren't going to be players in FA next off-season if a Cooks trade is made. That's not really a bad thing either.

You're looking at adding a Myles Jack type LB in FA rather than Smith.
I think if they wanted Myles Jack, they could've had him last year. I'm not saying its a bad move, I'm just saying. Plus, isn't he 30 now or close to it?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think if they wanted Myles Jack, they could've had him last year. I'm not saying its a bad move, I'm just saying. Plus, isn't he 30 now or close to it?
Maybe maybe not, Jack probably wanted to play for a contender. Anyways, a guy in the same tier as Jack. I was just throwing a name out there.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Browns took Brock Osweiler’s contract for a 2nd round pick. It was $16M. If we are to eat Cooks contract we got to get a first I would think.
I wouldn’t say a 1st. Two threes. Maybe I’d settle for 2 4ths in the next draft.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I just don't see Cooks traded to add $15m dead money to the cap, need to cut players or restructure just to trade. I think NC has to get a heck of an offer to go through that
How do you get $15M dead money if traded?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I read the following on SI.com, so it is more than $8m:

Financially, the Texans would take on $8.782 million in dead money this year and $16.22 million in dead money in 2023 if they traded Cooks. They would net just $967,533 in net cap savings immediately this year and $10.398 million in 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Financially, the Texans would take on $8.782 million in dead money this year and $16.22 million in dead money in 2023 if they traded Cooks. They would net just $967,533 in net cap savings immediately this year and $10.398 million in 2023.
Just do the deal if you can get a 3rd for Cooks. I would even throw in a 5th with Cooks to get the 3rd.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Still, the $8M this year makes it no deal unless they restructure the contract