Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cooks extension runs through '24 and he apparently still wants out. Is he tradable? Can we get a three? A two? What should we settle for?
I can see a trade like this happening.

Pick 2-33 and Cooks for a WR needy team in the 20's.

Probably an edge player or DT.

Depends on who the new HC is. I could see Gannon wanting a big NT like Davis.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I can see a trade like this happening.

Pick 2-33 and Cooks for a WR needy team in the 20's.

Probably an edge player or DT.

Depends on who the new HC is. I could see Gannon wanting a big NT like Davis.
I could see Cooks and one of the Texans RD3 picks getting them back into RD2 or Cooks returning a solid RD3 or RD4 pick depending on how the contract money gets worked out.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I could see Cooks and one of the Texans RD3 picks getting them back into RD2 or Cooks returning a solid RD3 or RD4 pick depending on how the contract money gets worked out.
I suspect Cooks will be getting about Amari Cooper level draft compensation unfortunately. His value would have been higher at deadline when teams are trying to make an in-season run and dealing with injuries. But offseason they have draft and FA to acquire a player without his age/contract/general baggage.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I suspect Cooks will be getting about Amari Cooper level draft compensation unfortunately. His value would have been higher at deadline when teams are trying to make an in-season run and dealing with injuries. But offseason they have draft and FA to acquire a player without is age/contract/general baggage.

The Cooper return was so small because the Browns ate the rest of Cooper's contract. $20 million in 2022 & another $20 million in 2023. No team is going to take all $18 million of Cooks deal. The Texans will have to eat a big chunk of that. But, they should get the equivalent of a 3rd round pick in return. Browns, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Giants should be in the mix.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Does Brandon Cooks still want out with DR at the helm? Will that be enough to make him think this rebuild is potentially over?

Khelar

Rookie
Does Brandon Cooks still want out with DR at the helm? Will that be enough to make him think this rebuild is potentially over?
Honestly who cares what he thinks right now, it’ll be different from what he thinks in 2 months. He’s a good player but I just don’t want him around. He quit on the team, did nothing to contribute until the last few games when his contributions actually hurt us. Last thing Ryans needs is Cooks becoming a problem mid season again. I say trade him for a 4th/5th get his cap number off the books and end that saga. If we’re concerned about our WR’s with the new QB see if you can trade for Higgins.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Honestly who cares what he thinks right now, it’ll be different from what he thinks in 2 months. He’s a good player but I just don’t want him around. He quit on the team, did nothing to contribute until the last few games when his contributions actually hurt us. Last thing Ryans needs is Cooks becoming a problem mid season again. I say trade him for a 4th/5th get his cap number off the books and end that saga. If we’re concerned about our WR’s with the new QB see if you can trade for Higgins.
I wouldn't take less than a 4th for him if the team trading for him eats all of his salary. I would eat 4 mil of his salary for a 3rd and 9 mil for a 2nd. Gotta pay to get value. This is the price Caserio has to pay for his mistake.

No to Higgins and his trash agent. Let some other team pay him like a WR1. He's a high end WR2 that feeds off of the coverage Chase gets.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I agree with the last two posters in this thread. And SB is right. If we have to swallow some of the cap hit, I want a bit higher pick. It's possible they will have to settle for a 5th just to move him, but I'm asking for a 4th with the receiving team taking the whole contract if I'm Nick and start there.

Khelar

Rookie
I wouldn't take less than a 4th for him if the team trading for him eats all of his salary. I would eat 4 mil of his salary for a 3rd and 9 mil for a 2nd. Gotta pay to get value. This is the price Caserio has to pay for his mistake.

No to Higgins and his trash agent. Let some other team pay him like a WR1. He's a high end WR2 that feeds off of the coverage Chase gets.
I’d be okay with taking on some money for a higher pick but I wouldn’t say no to a 5th and just getting him off the books. Frees up some money this year and a lot next year. But yeah if taking on some money this year is what it takes to move up to a third then I’d do that. Just want him gone and his 2024 cap hit too

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
WRs:

Woods
Collins
Metchie

Need to add a field stretcher. Should be able to find one in draft. Don’t need to spend a 1st imo at WR.

Would not mind re-signing Chris Moore if he comes back for cheap either to round out the roster.

Jonathan Mingo doesn’t fit the field stretcher profile but man does he just scream Lil Shanny style WR. Seen player comps to Deebo and I think he’s a guy who could come in and compete with Nico Collins for that X WR role.

That 3-73 or 4-104 range is my sweet spot for that next WR. I think Mingo will be there. For field stretchers Marvin Mims and Tyler Scott would be my targets.

OptimisticTexan

WRs:

Woods
Collins
Metchie

Need to add a field stretcher. Should be able to find one in draft. Don’t need to spend a 1st imo at WR.

Would not mind re-signing Chris Moore if he comes back for cheap either to round out the roster.

Jonathan Mingo doesn’t fit the field stretcher profile but man does he just scream Lil Shanny style WR. Seen player comps to Deebo and I think he’s a guy who could come in and compete with Nico Collins for that X WR role.

That 3-73 or 4-104 range is my sweet spot for that next WR. I think Mingo will be there. For field stretchers Marvin Mims and Tyler Scott would be my targets.
Answered this on another thread just a moment ago. I think the Texans could check with the Jets on a trade that would send them Cooks straight up for WR, Denzel Mims. 6-3 at 207 pounds and a 4.38-40 makes him the perfect field stretcher…..not to mention he’s already got (3) NFL seasons of experience…..with the wrong team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Odds are that Brandin Cooks will be on the Texans' roster in 2023. Hard to trade a 30 yr old WR who only had 57 receptions for 700 yards and 3 TDs with an $18MM GTD salary. If they cut him that would be a $34MM dead money cap hit, so that is not going to happen. If they trade Cooks that comes with $16MM in dead money PLUS any salary the Texans have to eat. If they pay half, that's a $25MM dead money cap hit. Is that worth a 4th RD pick? Say hello to the Texans' little friend, Brandin Cooks. Hey look on the bright side, if Cooks hangs around, Nick can restructure his contract for a third time.

Has Nick restructured Robert Woods contract yet? Hard to get excited about another 30-year-old, 53 receptions, for 537 yards, and 2 TDs WR.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Odds are that Brandin Cooks will be on the Texans' roster in 2023. Hard to trade a 30 yr old WR who only had 57 receptions for 700 yards and 3 TDs with an $18MM GTD salary. If they cut him that would be a $34MM dead money cap hit, so that is not going to happen.
If they were to cut Cooks, he would be designatited as a June 1st cut, and the 2023 dead money would be reduced to $26 million. Cut, trade, trade and eat salary, it doesn't matter. There will be a lot of dead money on the cap. As usual around these parts.

If they were to cut Cooks, he would be designatited as a June 1st cut, and the 2023 dead money would be reduced to $26 million. Cut, trade, trade and eat salary, it doesn't matter. There will be a lot of dead money on the cap. As usual around these parts.
Yup plenty of dead money to get him off the roster via cut or trade. If cut:

Pre Jun 1 cut = $34M dead money in 2023
Post Jun 1 cut = $26M dead money in 2023 and $8M dead money in 2024

Didn't look at trade values b/c of too many variables and ultimately there may be no takers.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
WRs:

Woods
Collins
Metchie

i think with the Woods move, WR has been pushed way down on the list as far as needs from the dradt are concerned. Im cool with it b/c getting deep isn’t necessarily about speed & Collins proved last year he can get deep & stretch the field..just need a qb and offensive system that can take advantage.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Looking at the WRs on the 49ers they don’t really have that “field stretcher”. Maybe Danny Gray?

Their returner Ray Ray Mccloud led WRs with a 17.4 avg last season with only 14 rec. Next best was Aiyuk with 13 who does not fit the mold of “field stretcher”.

I think we need to rethink the importance of a true vertical threat in this offense.

What we do know about this offense is they want big physical WRs that can block. Besides Mccloud, all of SFs WRs are at least 6 ft and 200 lbs.

Texans added Woods and Brown so far. Both meet that threshold based on combine numbers when they were drafted. And both are physical players that can block.

But I don’t think the team will be targeting the field stretchers people are hoping for on draft day. Looking at Hyatt, Marvin Mims and Tyler Scott. Now Jonathan Mingo… that’s a WR that “fits the mold”.

OptimisticTexan

Looking at the WRs on the 49ers they don’t really have that “field stretcher”. Maybe Danny Gray?

Their returner Ray Ray Mccloud led WRs with a 17.4 avg last season with only 14 rec. Next best was Aiyuk with 13 who does not fit the mold of “field stretcher”.

I think we need to rethink the importance of a true vertical threat in this offense.

What we do know about this offense is they want big physical WRs that can block. Besides Mccloud, all of SFs WRs are at least 6 ft and 200 lbs.

Texans added Woods and Brown so far. Both meet that threshold based on combine numbers when they were drafted. And both are physical players that can block.

But I don’t think the team will be targeting the field stretchers people are hoping for on draft day. Looking at Hyatt, Marvin Mims and Tyler Scott. Now Jonathan Mingo… that’s a WR that “fits the mold”.
Trade for WR- Denzel Mims (6-3 @ 207 lbs / NY Jets) and draft WR- Jalin Hyatt (6-0 @ 187 lbs / Tennessee). The Texans would now possess (2) WR’s that could easily take the top off defenses while having the speed to eat up defensive backfields with crossing routes.

Number19

Hall of Fame

Last night I began rethinking this as well. I'm thinking now TE Mayer at #12 and OCs Schmitz or Wypler at #33, maybe after a trade down.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Last night I began rethinking this as well. I'm thinking now TE Mayer at #12 and OCs Schmitz or Wypler at #33, maybe after a trade down.
I am thinking TE at 33 (thinking Musgrave or Washington available) but would not at all mind if the team took Mayer at 12. I can see him leading the team in receiving as the George Kittle of this offense year one.

Don’t care if its “too high” for Mayer. He’s a ten year starter.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Give me Charbonnet (UCLA) along with Archane (Texas A&M) and the Texans running game would be pretty effective in all phases.
Trade for WR- Denzel Mims (6-3 @ 207 lbs / NY Jets) and draft WR- Jalin Hyatt (6-0 @ 187 lbs / Tennessee). The Texans would now possess (2) WR’s that could easily take the top off defenses while having the speed to eat up defensive backfields with crossing routes.
So you want them to spend 2 high picks on RB's and another on Hyatt?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Don’t look like they’re interested in Denzel Mims.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Interesting perspective. I would add WRs who can block and provide RAC. However, what about what Mike McDaniel is doing with Shanahan's offense in Miami and how he uses field stretchers like Tyrek Hill (14.4) and Jaylen Waddle (18.1) who both averaged over 14 yards per reception.

The question I have is will Slowik simply try to duplicate the 49ers offense or will he be like McDaniel and put his own spin on it?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Interesting perspective. I would add WRs who can block and provide RAC. However, what about what Mike McDaniel is doing with Shanahan's offense in Miami and how he uses field stretchers like Tyrek Hill (14.4) and Jaylen Waddle (18.1) who both averaged over 14 yards per reception.

The question I have is will Slowik simply try to duplicate the 49ers offense or will he be like McDaniel and put his own spin on it?
Good point. I admit Dolphins WRs look quite a bit different. From the acquisitions so far I suspect Slowik will be running more similar to what I described. Mainly because there simply isn’t a Hill/Waddle readily available.

vtech9

All Pro
Give me Charbonnet (UCLA) along with Archane (Texas A&M) and the Texans running game would be pretty effective in all phases.
I don't think we'll take a RB that high. We'd probably have to take one of them in the 2nd round if we want one of them.

Both good candidates - I am very keen on Tyjae Spears and Eric Gray.
I'm ok with Spears, but there are others I like better. Not a big fan of Gray.

I'm looking at RB's in the 4th or later. UAB RB DeWayne McBride is one of my top picks at RB at that point. Israel Abanikanda, Roschon Johnson, Xazavian Valladay, Jordan Mims, & Evan Hull are all ones I'd take before Gray. I would rank Spears somewhere in that list.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I would seriously look at taking Bijan at 12. He is like a reverse Deebo. RB/WR instead of WR/RB
If he drops that far, get him. Better yet move up to get him.
Last night, rethinking 12, I considered Bijan. He would be an outstanding addition, but ... the Texans already have a capable and promising #1 RB in Pierce. A solid #2 can be picked up on the third day. I finally concluded the offense would benefit more by taking TE Mayer. We need a serious upgrade at OC as well, and Schmitz and Wypler could be off the board late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. We need to use #33 on an OC. We could then use one of the threes on a RB, but I 'd wait until the 3rd day.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
I would seriously look at taking Bijan at 12. He is like a reverse Deebo. RB/WR instead of WR/RB
The most intriguing non-QB for me. Could certainly fill the role of a weapon with no true position. A Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, Deebo type. If the Texans land at pure WR at 12, he would be a great pick at 33, if he somehow lasts that long.

Khelar

Rookie
pff overall offensive grade
Akins 72.4
Schultz 68.3

Brain fog is a little thick today, huh?

If Slowik and his offensive staff decide on the players they want for the offense, then it is up to Demeco and Nick. DeMeco gave Caserio the green light to make it happen in that order.
Did you know PFF has Nico Collins as the 35th best receiver in the same range as guys like DJ Moore, Hopkins, Deebo, Christian Kirk, and Brandin Cooks? I believe you’ve commonly referred to Nico as a JAG and a few days ago equated DJ Moore to a first round pick just for reference

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Did you know PFF has Nico Collins as the 35th best receiver in the same range as guys like DJ Moore, Hopkins, Deebo, Christian Kirk, and Brandin Cooks? I believe you’ve commonly referred to Nico as a JAG and a few days ago equated DJ Moore to a first round pick just for reference
Then that shows how flawed PFF is. To this point Nico has been a JAG.

Khelar

Rookie
Then that shows how flawed PFF is. To this point Nico has been a JAG.
That perception has more to do with the QB play we’ve seen here than Collins himself. If you can I’d encourage you to go back and watch some film from this past year. He took a step forward and Mills/Allen just couldn’t get the ball to him consistently.

But that’s kinda besides the point. My point was PFF grades either matter or they don’t and you can’t have it both ways just to suit your agenda

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
That perception has more to do with the QB play we’ve seen here than Collins himself. If you can I’d encourage you to go back and watch some film from this past year. He took a step forward and Mills/Allen just couldn’t get the ball to him consistently.

But that’s kinda besides the point. My point was PFF grades either matter or they don’t and you can’t have it both ways just to suit your agenda
I've watched every single game he's played. I'll concede that QB play can matter, and scheme too for that matter, but let's not go overboard with the excuses, especially if you're going to post about some website putting him in the same range as Hopkins and Cooks. Collins has exactly 8 games with more than 3 catches in a game with 6 his high. He has zero 100 yard games, just 3 TDs, hasn't cracked 500 yards in a season yet, or 40 catches in a season. Hell, Moore had 63 catches just last season alone and has 3 1,000 yard seasons. Even Kirk had 83 catches last year alone, 13 more than Nico's career.

And I don't play these dumbass agenda games. I call what I see. Nico is a JAG. At least so far.

Khelar

Rookie
I've watched every single game he's played. I'll concede that QB play can matter, and scheme too for that matter, but let's not go overboard with the excuses, especially if you're going to post about some website putting him in the same range as Hopkins and Cooks. Collins has exactly 8 games with more than 3 catches in a game with 6 his high. He has zero 100 yard games, just 3 TDs, hasn't cracked 500 yards in a season yet, or 40 catches in a season. Hell, Moore had 63 catches just last season alone and has 3 1,000 yard seasons. Even Kirk had 83 catches last year alone, 13 more than Nico's career.

And I don't play these dumbass agenda games. I call what I see. Nico is a JAG. At least so far.
While I disagree with you about Collins that’s neither here nor there. You’re completely missing the point of my response.

Texian was using PFF grades to try and tell people that Jordan Akins is better than Dalton Schultz which I think is pretty clearly not the case. I was illustrating that it’s hypocritical of him to use PFF grades to make that point when he completely disregards PFF grades when they don’t agree with him.

Khelar

Rookie

But since Collins is my breakout crush Texan for next year and I'm taking off work tomorrow let me talk about him a bit.

To start, no I don't actually think Collins is currently on the level of DJ Moore, Hopkins, Cooks, or even Kirk so I'm not saying that.

But I don't think I'm going overboard on the excuses. Looking at the Texans nobody produced on this offense, including Brandin Cooks who is a good WR. Brandin Cooks was going for 53ypg last year Nico was second on the team with 48. Next was Chris Moore with 34. This was a team with a bad QB, below average oline play, and a bad OC. Those may be excuses but they're also facts.

Looking at production around the league he's also not as far off as you might think. He was ranked 43rd in YPG among WR's which would put him as an above average #2 WR. He's not in terrible company, DJ Moore for instance had 52 YPG, Deebo Samuels had 48, DJ Chark had 45, and Adam Thielen had 42. And all those guys I mentioned with the exception of DJ Moore had the advantage of having good OC's calling for them and good QB's throwing to them which is something Nico Collins has not had yet. Go back and watch the games, he's had significant chunks of yards taken off the board because we had a QB who cannot consistently deliver the ball when he gets open.

I like to point to two plays from the beginning of the season to show what I mean. The Texans last play on offense in week 2 and a play during Week 1 towards the end of the game. The week 2 play vs the Broncos was 4th and 16, under 2 minutes, Texans driving down the field to try and tie the game and go to OT. Collins gets open on 4th down, on the sideline, past the first down marker and Mills misses him. Could have been a first down and kept the game going but Mills misses.

The second play is from week 1 vs the Colts with about 4.5 minutes left to go. Texans are up 7 and driving to try and put the game out of reach. It's a 3rd and 8 at midfield a first down allows us to maybe score and win the game but at least either take all the Colts timeouts or run the clock down another 2 minutes. Collins is open past the first down marker on the back shoulder, Mills tries to hit it but sails it over his head. Texans punt, game eventually ends in a tie. Those are big moments where you need playmakers to step up and Collins did and we just didn't have a QB that could deliver the ball.

Those are just 2 early examples from when I did a film watch on Collins there are plenty of other examples of him getting open and the QB just missed. I'd estimate from what I watched that in the 10 games Collins played in 2022 he probably had 150 yards left on the field from QB misses. He's better than the numbers show and I think we'll see that come out if we can get a competent OC and QB to work with him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Those are big moments where you need playmakers to step up and Collins did and we just didn't have a QB that could deliver the ball.
Two things. Collins has missed 9 games in his first two seasons. I don't know how many practices. If Nico showed up, his numbers would be better. Nico has top end measurables. 6'4" 215 lbs with a 4.4 40. You would think a guy like that would shake a DB and take it to the house on his own a couple of times a season. Instead, Collins has a grand total of 3 broken tackles in 2 seasons. He's been a possession receiver in a playmaker's body.

No one is advocating for Collins to be cut. Just as no one should be jocking him as a top 35 WR, when he clearly has not been. Nico is getting another chance in a new offense and hopefully a better QB. Until he proves something, Collins is a big question mark.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Collins was a JAG at Michigan. Pep had a connection and fell in love with the player and pounded the table to trade up for him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Texian was using PFF grades to try and tell people that Jordan Akins is better than Dalton Schultz which I think is pretty clearly not the case. I was illustrating that it’s hypocritical of him to use PFF grades to make that point when he completely disregards PFF grades when they don’t agree with him.
Must be a figment of your imagination.

I've been the biggest proponent of PFF on this message board. I've never denigrated or acted like I know more than PFF. They do such a fine job that all 32 NFL teams subscribe to their services. I know how to filter through their grades. For example, D Hop was suspended for 7 games and when he returned he had McCoy and David Blough throwing him the ball. Your OC Bobby Slowik worked at PFF grading games.

Mike Renner on Twitter: "49ers passing game specialist Bobby Slowik and Rams assistant QB coach Zac Robinson taught me more about football back when they worked at PFF than anyone else I’ve ever met Now one of them is guaranteed to be coaching in the Super Bowl. Couldn’t be happier for those guys" / Twitter

Khelar

Rookie
Two things. Collins has missed 9 games in his first two seasons. I don't know how many practices. If Nico showed up, his numbers would be better. Nico has top end measurables. 6'4" 215 lbs with a 4.4 40. You would think a guy like that would shake a DB and take it to the house on his own a couple of times a season. Instead, Collins has a grand total of 3 broken tackles in 2 seasons. He's been a possession receiver in a playmaker's body.

No one is advocating for Collins to be cut. Just as no one should be jocking him as a top 35 WR, when he clearly has not been. Nico is getting another chance in a new offense and hopefully a better QB. Until he proves something, Collins is a big question mark.
Yeah I mean he’s a possession guy and still a question mark I don’t think I claimed anything different. Just saying that his production on the field in a less than desirable situation hasn’t been bad and I’m excited to see if he’s able to put up better numbers with decent QB play and a decent OC (hopefully).