Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2016

If Savage is > Brock in PS would Billy go Pete Carrol (a la choosing Russell Wilson over FA Matt Flynn) ? Oh wait, better question is would Carrol have made that move if the
Seahawks had 37M guaranteed invested in Flynn like the Texans do in Brock ? I think not.

I don't even think the money has anything to do with it. Brock has real game experience in a real play off run. Matt Flynn had a couple of starts & a bit of spot duty I meaningless situations.

How a QB reacts under pressure, when there's something on the line.

We know Osweiler won't fold. We can only assume Savage will hold his own.

& we Texans have known was too many QBs who don't show up when the lights are on, or go 0-4 when home field throughout is on the line.

Even then the final staters aren't determined until after 2 preseason games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They know own who the starting QB is.

They know who the #1 WR is, the starting ILBs & the starting CBs

Maybe a few more.... barring injury.

[URL='https://twitter.com/PatDStat']PDS ‏@PatDStat 23m[/URL]

#Texans
in full pads today.

Jeff Allen just pancaked DJ Reader in half line drills.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash
Jeff Allen just pancaked DJ Reader in half line drills.

McKinney two Reps in a row avoiding blocks and making the play. Able to slip blocks.

Clowney vs Griffin is nothing nice. Clowney just moving Griff and getting him into the back field

Lamar Miler slow to get up after a pass play. Walks off slowly to the sideline

Stephen Anderson just worked Antonio Allen for an easy pitch and catch from Weeden.

Ryan Griffing showing some life. Shook both Allen and Hal in different one on ones for catches

Max Bullough with the coverage. Doesn’t even draw the throw from Weeden.

Ryan Griffin showing some life. Shook both Allen and Hal in different one on ones for catches.

Team session. Griffin with a false start. Takes a lap.

Dunn, Wilfork and Still on the field for the front.

Andre Hal came smoking down from the box and Prosch just rocked him off his feet

Brian Peters has been working at ILB. Down hill nicely to stop Blue.

#Texans working situational team. 3rd and long, Savage hits Denham for a make believe first down. Nice pass and route.

Wilfork and Still with nice run defense there to string the play out

Tyler Ervin stopped, pops outside and makes a decent play out of nothing

Clowney takes 3 players to block him, leaves Still for the pressure on Osweiler and incomplete pass.

Osweiler had forever to throw there. James knocks down the pass downfield intended for Fuller.

Weeden hits Tevin Jones down the seam. Ball was tipped by Allen.

Mercilus knocks down an Osweiler pass attempt.

Osweiler with a nice ball to CJF. Hit him coming out of his break

Kevin Johnson just gave Cecil Short a nice hit. Shorts slow to get up. Got there the same time as the ball.

Will Fuller, Wendall Williams and Tyler Ervin back returning kick offs today.

XSF controls Vince in his pass rush.

CJF hit by Osweiler in the endzone. Drops the ball on the way down. Not good.

Tyler Ervin lets a pass from Osweiler go right through his hands

When all else fails throw it to Hopkins in the back of the end zone.

First team play Vince Wilfork is calling for a safety. Mercilus got to Osweiler first

Osweiler with a nice ball. One of his best of camp to Hopkins wide open in the middle of the field

Novak pulls a field goal attempt Right. Fairbairn drills his down the middle. Look to be in the 45-50 range.

Novak hit his second try, Fairbarin misses his right.

Not enough has been said about the weight Vince Wilfork has lost for this camp.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 23m

#Texans

Not enough has been said about the weight Vince Wilfork has lost for this camp.

That's what I've been waiting to hear.

I was hoping Vince felt something special last season, something to inspire him to rededicate himself to football, to doing something special.

Weight loss & all the extra energy he seems to be showing in practice... if he can bring back some of that attitude he had back in the day, then our defense is going to be something special this year.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Osweiler got little help from his receivers today. Threw some catchable balls, just inconsistent on the other end. #Texans

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash
PDS ‏@PatDStat

It hit him in both hands in stride which there was decent coverage. Don’t know what else he could have done.

PDS added,

Lucas Rocha @LucasR03
@PatDStat yeah I think CJ dropped a touchdown in the corner and baby hands dropped another. But I didn't think Brocks ball had enough zip

It's more than admitting a mistake. There is only so much a player or coach can learn on the practice field. At some point players have to get into games to develop further and display their potential.
Savage and Weeden are competing for the #2 spot. Also, this could well be Savages final season as a Texans. Even though his contract is through 2017, if Weeden proves a capable backup and is willing to accept this role, it might be advantageous to see if we can trade Savage next year. Otherwise he is gone after next year with minimal compensation (compensory pick in the
draft?). With all this in mind, we should be paying attention to how well Weeden is doing, rather than any imaginary competition between Oz and Savage.

I have a real problem with that philosophy in that the refs are not ignoring push offs these days, the way they were in Irvin's day.

The thing is, DHop gets superstar treatment from the refs. Dude gets away with murder with it a lot and will continue to do so.

Y'all have probably already seen this but in case you didn't I'll drop it off here.

Osweiler's first 7 starts scouted by Brett Kollmann.
Don't know why, but the video stops with a granular black and white screen just a couple of minutes in every time I try viewing it. Will try again later.

Don't know why, but the video stops with a granular black and white screen just a couple of minutes in every time I try viewing it. Will try again later.

It worked great for me. Very good, well thought out and informative video. Gives me confidence in Brockweiler.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 13m13 minutes ago

Wendall Williams just went over Kevin Johnson for a fake TD.

Hopkins vs. Joseph is always good to watch. Hopkins got the best of him there

Andre Hal showing ability to cover in the slot and outside

Will Fuller just broke down Kevin Johnson. Pretty impressive route by Fuller.

Jaelen Strong easily the strongest receiver of the bunch. Boxing out DBs to make catches

Jonathan Grimes working with the Osweiler group today.

Stephen Anderson catches the first ball in team session from Osweiler

Whitney Mercilus takes a lap for jumping offsides.

Osweiler with a strong throw to the sideline, hits Hopkins

Osweiler comes back and hit Fuller in the sideline with a leaping catch. Gets both feet in

Hopkins has ball thrown outside of him, JJo breaks it up

#Texans working their two minute drill. O’Brien is the situational football king, always working parts of in game.

Greg Mancz was also working with the Osweiler group at center

Savage first ball not hauled in by Mumphery, now hits Strong.

Griffin down the seam, Savage hits him in stride right when he clears the linebacker.

Savage hits Tevin Jones. Strong showing for the quarterbacks during the two minute drill

Both two minute drills end with field goal attempts. Novak hits his, Fairbairn misses his

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2m2 minutes ago

PDS Retweeted Champ Clark

No rush to block the kick, supposed to be his calling card. Miss is a miss in camp.

PDS added,

Champ Clark @ChampClarkPT
@PatDStat Fairbairn's was a 50+ attempt though

PDS ‏@PatDStat 13m13 minutes ago

Jay Prosch just dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands

Now Hopkins lets one slip through his hands in the back of the endzone

Now Tyler Ervin drops a pass in the middle of the field...Make that back to back drops.

Fairbairn hits his FG attempt, so does Novak

Osweiler hits Hopkins on a quick pass for an imaginary TD

Bullough deflects a Savage pass and Vrabel picks it off and starts running to the endzone. The defense starts running with him.

Crummy series for the #Texans offense here. Osweiler struggling to complete passes in the red zone.

Fairbairn misses another. Looks around the 40-45 yard range

Then Fairbairn hits from about 50 down the middle.

Novak hits his 50 yard attempt

The kicking competition is a slug fest.

The thing is, DHop gets superstar treatment from the refs. Dude gets away with murder with it a lot and will continue to do so.

I don't think so. I think he's been very consistent about not extending the arm, something of a technician. I think DBs around the league are more apt to put hands on players past five yards and influence the ability to catch.

I don't think so. I think he's been very consistent about not extending the arm, something of a technician. I think DBs around the league are more apt to put hands on players past five yards and influence the ability to catch.

I agree. Andre did that as well and I think he taught Hopkins about having a hand on the DB's back to maintain a little space, but keeping the elbow from extending to avoid the penalty. There was one game ( Buffalo ) on the TD catch I thought maybe he was going to get flagged, but maybe the superstar treatment came in on that situation.

25 observations from Sunday at #TexansCamp
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...xansCamp/702fd38e-a96a-4b2d-a2ee-8def6d154b9a

5. Wide receiver Cecil Shorts continued to get open all over the field. The six-year veteran has been all kinds of impressive getting open against everyone and making every single catch. He’s been a football playing dude this week for certain.

13. Perhaps Osweiler’s best throw of the drill was his intermediate sideline route to rookie receiver Will Fuller. I was right in line with throw and Osweiler threw that ball well before Fuller made his break. Fuller made the catch and stepped out of bounds.

15. This was when Osweiler’s poise, leadership and command of the moment came to the forefront. When Grimes made his last catch, it left 2nd and two yards and most importantly about twenty seconds left on the clock. Osweiler made sure to get everyone relaxed and ready, ran the clock down to five or six seconds and spiked it to stop the clock. Kicker Nick Novak drilled the kick for the win.

20. Running back Kenny Hilliard looks like a different back than he did last year. He wanted to destroy anything in his path last year, but this year, he seems to be much lighter on his feet with a bit more shake than I’ve seen him have.

22. Tackle Kendall Lamm gets tested every single day against Whitney Mercilus and it’s made Lamm a much better pass protector. I’m a Lamm fan and he continues to improve each and every day.

MMQB has a small piece on our guys. The part about Lechler was too damn funny.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/07/nfl-hall-of-fame-game-cancelled-training-camp-tour

It’s pretty hot here
HOUSTON — I landed at the Houston airport late Saturday afternoon and got in a rental car. The temperature gauge on the dashboard was 99. It was 100 on Sunday. Forecast highs for the week, beginning today: 99, 99, 99, 100, 100.

Heat index (combining heat and humidity) on the field Sunday for the 9 a.m. practice: 120.

mmqb-cushing.jpg

Photo: Bob Levey/Getty Images
The one constant at camp for the Texans? Oppressive heat.
The medical staff here does proactive IVs. Before Sunday’s training-camp practice (2 hours, 35 minutes) on the fields across the street from the Texans’ stadium and locker room, team medics gave out 35 IVs to players, including DeAndre Hopkins. “Before I got here, I thought you got an IV when you had surgery and that was about it. Now we get them all the time.”
Coach Bill O’Brien works the team out two-thirds of the time outside, and one-third inside the Texans’ practice bubble, where it’s 72 degrees. That’s where the team will work this morning. “I think you make it through by determination,” said Hopkins. “I think it keeps guys true. You better treat your body right. Like, you can’t go out and do whatever at night, then expect to come in here the next day and practice outside and practice well. Your body will be dead.”

The Texans have equipment guys lugging those eight-packs of small bottles of Gatorade, not just squirts of water; Sunday, some players just grabbed a bottle on the sideline, wrestled it from its plastic coupling and inhaled it. It’s just incredible to stand out in such heat for two-plus hours and imagine players who have to try to make a football team in the oppressive conditions.

Other Houston notes:

• Re the strange story in New Jersey, where Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall fought at practice Friday, with Marshall reportedly taunting the great corner for getting burned by Hopkins (five catches, 118 yards, two touchdowns, including a 61-yard TD bomb) last season: “I was shocked when I heard,” Hopkins told me. “I guess it means I’m doing my job. I knew I’d beat him that day, because no one can cover me man-to-man. I think he’s a great corner. But he has trouble with quick guys and length.”

• Sunday was punter Shane Lechler’s 40th birthday. On Sunday night, O’Brien and players Vince Wilfork, Brian Cushing and Johnathan Joseph called Lechler to the front of the team auditorium, gave him a cake shaped like the number 40, and also got him a walker, some Rogaine, and those Steph Curry sneakers people think look old-fashioned. Then the teams sang him Happy Birthday. He’s coming off a season in which he avearged 47.3 yard per punt, fifth in the league, and no one here is trying to nudge him into retirement. In 16 seasons, the 47.3-yard average is better than any of his first six NFL seasons, and just two-tenths of a yard off his career average. Here’s how long he’s been around: Lechler’s had beers with Ken Stabler. “I’m not in any mood to start growing up,” he said.

• Too early to tell if J.J. Watt will play the opener. He’s 18 days out from back-disc surgery that is probably a seven-week rehab. “I wouldn’t bet against him,” O’Brien said, “but he’s not going to play ’til he’s ready. He knows that too, and he’s okay with it.”

Houston: Devon Still, defensive tackle. Still and his daughter, Leah, were an inspirational story in Cincinnati, with Leah beating cancer when her dad played for the Bengals. And here he is trying to prolong his NFL career. For now, Still is spelling the great J.J. Watt on the Houston defensive line, and if he has a good August, he’s expected to make the team as depth on a solid group.

I don't see why they don't just stay in the bubble. They have zero games in the heat this season so what's the point in practicing in it? If it's a playing on the grass thing, they don't play their 1st game on grass until the end of October and only have 4 games on grass all season.

Maybe the players still prefer it even in the oppressive heat but I know how much the sun and heat can drain you. I'd like to hear the players take on it. It'd be nice to have them somewhat fresh for week 1.

First-round pick Will Fuller was all over the field in practice. He made a one-handed catch on the right side of the field on a huge throw from Osweiler. Osweiler noted how impressed he has been with the receiver.
“One of those things that a coach can’t teach is speed, and Will has a lot of speed,” Osweiler said. “Will did what he does. He got on the cornerback’s toes, broke to the post, and just ran. So, Will’s an extremely special football player, obviously has great speed. We all know that. It’s good to see some of that stuff finally come together.

Receiver Wendall Williams, an undrafted rookie out of the University of the Cumberlands, also showed his speed at practice today, especially while returning the ball. Osweiler said he was doing a drill on the sideline, and he turned his head and saw Williams taking a kickoff return and “it looked like he was going 100 miles per hour.”
LINK

Mexico is turf?
Estadio Azteca Stadium actually hosted a 1994 game between the Oilers and the Cowboys, and a 2005 game between the 49ers and the Cardinals.......both on the stadium's native grass. I would think that nothing will change with the Texans/Raiders game.

I don't see why they don't just stay in the bubble. They have zero games in the heat this season so what's the point in practicing in it? If it's a playing on the grass thing, they don't play their 1st game on grass until the end of October and only have 4 games on grass all season.

Maybe the players still prefer it even in the oppressive heat but I know how much the sun and heat can drain you. I'd like to hear the players take on it. It'd be nice to have them somewhat fresh for week 1.
River Falls, Wis., was home to the Kansas City Chiefs’ training camp for about two decadeshttp://www.mankatofreepress.com/new...cle_8f000675-d338-5834-b8e8-097cc58805c4.html
Why not go to Wisconsin for TC like the KC Chiefs did for many years in the past. It's not just hot and humid in Houston during August, it's utterly jungle conditions. Since we don't play in any games in any kind of weather conditions conditions that approach this except when it's a September game in Jacksonville or Miami, what's the point ? There's no coditioning advantage to be gained and yet it probably makes injuries more likley, just as it is in extremely cold conditions.

Thanks for the welcome. I am very excited to see the team this year. Of course I just moved from League City to Mississippi so I have to get game pass to watch. Will be worth it, even if I can't see it live.
If only a VPN service could make it look like you were in another country where game pass allowed you to view games live...

Maybe they like the heat to create adversity for the players. Push them a bit harder to see who can stand up under trying circumstances.

I know Fuller is fast but can Os get it to him deep down field? I am anticipating Fuller getting ball 15-20 yards past LOS and then turning on jets and then getting pee pee knocked out of him by DBs.

I am one of few who does not want to see team impacted by heavy rain, heat or snow. I want to see players at their best, not resembling a tobaggan sliding through mud. I don't care how they did it 40 years ago.

ILB is looking like a strength.
Goodness gracious...really? I hope you are correct but why? Cushing, McKinney and Bullough and ? In 5 years Dent has only two good seasons and with the Falcons in 2012 and '13. He turns 29 in few weeks and his "salad days" appear over..if ever were. He did play last season with hamstring issues so hopefully he is better than what I saw. I was hoping Smith would use Dent's cap $2 m to go after a vet in off season. Everyone needs toilet paper but he is not Charmin. He is not on my roster. idonno:

23 observations from Monday at #TexansCamp
Posted 2 hours ago

John Harris Texans Analyst

With temperatures due to be in the 100s on Monday, the Texans got a bit of a respite from Mother Nature, going inside for practice.

Thankfully.

It started as a relatively normal Monday morning practice, but the competition ratcheted up a notch or four throughout the day. Here are my observations from practice this morning.

1. Okay, so my stretching/music playlist theory went up in smoke today when running back
Akeem Hunt started getting his groove going to some country music. Not a country music fan myself, I can’t tell you who was singing what, but it didn’t matter to Hunt, who let loose as the team broke to individual periods.

2. Inside linebacker Akeem Dent delivered a few messages during blitz pickup period to some young fullbacks and running backs. He won his fair share, as the veteran should.

3. The only back to stunt Dent’s progress to the quarterback (and by quarterback I mean a big, tall red dummy) was Alfred Blue.

4. Speaking of Blue, we talked with general manager Rick Smith today (which we do daily on Texans Training Camp Live at 8:45 am on SportsRadio 610) and he mentioned the work that Blue did to get himself ready for the 2016 season. The end to the 2015 season showed that Blue had the potential to be a fit for this team for a while. He can do the dirty work things that most running backs won’t do or can’t do...for example, blitz pickup. I think he’s going to surprise fans when they get to see him this preseason.

5. I can only imagine what it’s like to run smack dab into fullback Jay Prosch, but most defenders that do don’t have much success. In blitz pickup drill, Prosch hammered one of the rookie linebackers and completely stoned him in his tracks. The dummy quarterback had all day to throw at that point thanks to Prosch.
REST OF THE STORY

Goodness gracious...really? I hope you are correct but why? Cushing, McKinney and Bullough and ? In 5 years Dent has only two good seasons and with the Falcons in 2012 and '13. He turns 29 in few weeks and his "salad days" appear over..if ever were. He did play last season with hamstring issues so hopefully he is better than what I saw. I was hoping Smith would use Dent's cap $2 m to go after a vet in off season. Everyone needs toilet paper but he is not Charmin. He is not on my roster. idonno:

I'm pretty sure he meant Bullough, Peters, & Cliette behind Cushing & McKinney.

Last edited:
I agree. Andre did that as well and I think he taught Hopkins about having a hand on the DB's back to maintain a little space, but keeping the elbow from extending to avoid the penalty. There was one game ( Buffalo ) on the TD catch I thought maybe he was going to get flagged, but maybe the superstar treatment came in on that situation.

No doubt.....walking that tightrope, gonna fall sometimes :)

Back