Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp 2016

Unlike last season, Texans can go deep in running game
Tyler Ervin's speed makes him an attractive backfield option for the Texans. Erik Williams/USA TODAY Sports
7:55 AM CT
  • Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Over the past three seasons, the Houston Texans were without starting running back Arian Foster for 23 of their 48 regular-season games. That's part of the reason they finished tied for 28th in the NFL in yards-per-carry last season.

In March, the Texans signed running back Lamar Miller, who hasn't missed a game in the past three seasons, to a four-year, $26 million deal. Miller finished 2015 with 872 yards on 194 attempts and eight touchdowns to go with 47 receptions for 397 yards for the Dolphins.

While Miller has been durable through his first four NFL seasons, the Texans know all too well the importance of having quality depth at the running back position. Behind Miller are Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes -- who, along with Akeem Hunt, filled in for Foster last season -- and rookie Tyler Ervin.

"Lamar [Miller] is the starting running back," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Then we have a very diverse running group behind him. We have guys that are big guys, first- and second-down, short-yardage, goal-line type guys. We have some third-down guys. Then we have what we call some edge-type players. Guys that can play receiver a little bit, play in the backfield, back and forth. So we feel really good about the skill set of the running backs that we have. We just have to keep working them.”

Miller and Blue will likely be the 1-2 punch the Texans call on this season. Miller said he is excited about the way O'Brien and offensive coordinator George Godsey use the running backs in their offensive scheme.

"We just have to put in the work," Miller said. "Everything else will take care of itself, but we're out here competing against each other and just trying to make each other better. Whenever we get that opportunity and whenever our number gets called, we have to make plays."

Grimes and Ervin will likely compete to be the team's third-down back. With Miller given a day off by O'Brien on Sunday, Ervin worked with quarterback Brock Osweiler and put his speed on display.

Ervin, who was drafted in the fourth round out of San Jose State, has impressed during training camp at running back, receiver and as a returner. O'Brien noted earlier in camp that the rookie's versatility is a big part of the reason the Texans drafted the running back.

"One of the last plays he made in college was an 82-yard punt return for a touchdown at San Jose State," O'Brien said. "He's a very good punt returner. We've got a number of those guys back there. Some of them we are teaching because we think they have the skill set to be able to do it. But Tyler, that's one of the things he’s going to have to do. ... He's going to have to be able to return punts."

Ervin said he has appreciated the veteran leadership from Miller and Blue, which is helping the group come together.

"I'm learning a lot from these guys," Ervin said. "They're so insightful, and they know so much about the game. I'm just soaking it all in. I'm just having a lot of fun.

"We spend all day together. We eat our meals together, because in training camp we're always here. So we have a lot of time to just chat football and just hang out off the field, as well."

Big things expected of ILB Benardrick McKinney
Posted 3 hours ago

Drew Dougherty Email @DoughertyDrew

Benardrick McKinney makes an impression.

“When you line up across from him on the field, you know where 55 is,” quarterback Brock Osweiler said Monday.

Osweiler’s seen the second-year linebacker over the last week, and thinks highly of McKinney.

“B-Mack is a special player,” Osweiler said. “He’s physically imposing too. He’s extremely talented, very athletic. He can stop the run game, he can plug holes, he can shed blocks, but he can also cover backs out

in space, so that makes him an extremely special football player.”

Playing next to Brian Cushing on the inside, McKinney said his goals are very simple.

“I’m just trying to get better every day,” McKinney said. “We’ve got older guys like Cushing, Vince Wilfork, looking up to me to make some plays. I’m just trying to be in the right spot. Coach Vrabel is putting me in the best position to make plays. I’m just trying to have fun and play football.”

With 11 starts as a rookie in 2015, including the final eight of the season, McKinney made an impact last year. But he’s striving for more in his sophomore campaign, and head coach Bill O’Brien has been impressed with his development.

“Definitely a much-improved player,” O’Brien said. “He’s gotten better from where he was at this point last year, not thinking as much now. He’s really out there reacting, understanding the defense.”

O’Brien said he and the Texans are expecting “a really good year” from McKinney. The linebacker worked on a few things this offseason to get better in 2016.

“I was trying to work on flexibility, and covering tight ends and running backs,” McKinney said. “Obviously I need to get better at that aspect of the game. So I’ve just concentrated on trying to cover.”

McKinney and the Texans will practice outside at the Houston Methodist Training Center on Tuesday.

Big things expected of ILB Benardrick McKinney

Alvin-Mack_crop_north.jpg

I was at Saturday's practice and was disappointed in Brock's performance. He was very inaccurate and not the best QB on the field. :overreact:

oh yea.. and it was HOT!!

The word I'm getting is that Brandon Weeden easily throws the best deep ball out of the three QBs.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h2 hours ago

Rookies Tevin Jones and Quenton Bundrage have shown more than Williams as a WR. Fuller and Braxton are better also.

He runs fast. Have to see how it translates to the field. He is working on being a NFL WR, guys are ahead of him.

And they will [have to play STs], Williams is also buried in the returner depth chart also. This [reminds] me of the Trindon Holliday experiment.

People are going to fall in love with Wendall Williams much like the preseason Trindon Holliday had a while back.

Williams has more upside as a WR but still a long track for him to crack the 53. Practice squad is his best bet.

His best attribute is his speed, so very similar to Holliday in that part of their game.

I guess the main point is that there is no longer just a “returner” in the game anymore. Roster spots too valuable.

That's crazy. No professional team does that, that's bush league. Find an NFL team that makes the offense do pushups on the third day of camp because they couldn't score.
I agree. What if the offense HAD scored? Would the defense have had to do those push-ups because they failed to make the stop?

I agree. What if the offense HAD scored? Would the defense have had to do those push-ups because they failed to make the stop?

That's the best part of Training camp, no matter how the play goes you'll always be able to fluff up one side of the ball or the other.

shame the deep ball plays such a small role
With our receivers we should have a receiver going deep every play. The defense will never know when he is the primary target. With the speed of Fuller and Williams, the defense will have to be double coverage, opening up the underside for the rest of the offense. If the defense doesn't play double coverage, we pass deep and keep passing deep.

Very true, remember how dominate our Defense was in training camp when Carr was QB.....those were the days :ant:
Remember how the Texans beat the Steelers in that first season? All defense. The only score was by the Texans defense. The Texans and Steelers both had less then 150 yards of total offense each.

Remember how the Texans beat the Steelers in that first season? All defense. The only score was by the Texans defense. The Texans and Steelers both had less then 150 yards of total offense each.

The Texans still have the record for fewest yds in a winning effort - 47 yds. They did get a FG. It was the Aaron Glenn show. But the Steelers were moving the ball and had over 400 yds on the day.

Yes i remember Aaron Glenn went off that game....I meant it more as humor in Carrs later years.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 3m3 minutes ago

Jaelen Strong beats Kevin Johnson. Turns him around in his route.

Braxton Miller just beat Kareem Jackson in press. Left him behind at the LOS

Fuller beats press coverage with Bouye covering. Bouye makes up ground in coverage to break it up

Kevin Johnson need all the help he can get. Break up a pass getting ear holed by the pass

Braxton Miller then gets stood up at the LOS and can’t get away from coverage.

Lamar Miller first run? Sees the edge and breaks one. Would have been a huge gain

PDS ‏@PatDStat

Tom Savage takes a lap for a fumbled snap

Offense not looking good. OB stops practice has offensive group in a huddle.

Brock Osweiler has not completed a pass, yet

Check that, Will Fuller saves the day and goes over the top and catches a nice ball from Osweiler.

Defense just dominated the offense in that session

Brock Osweiler and the O are now awake. Hits Anderson and Hopkins on back to back passes

Brock Osweiler is not sharply camper today. Penalty on the offense.

Stephen Anderson saving the day for the O. Down the middle of the field, makes a nice catch

To me, it is no longer about making the 53 for Anderson. It about how many snaps is he taking from other TEs.

Another down day for the offense based off my Twitter feed. Penalties, dropped passes and errant throws

PDS ‏@PatDStat

Savage going to work now. Hits Mumphery with a nice ball coming out of his break.

Mumphery drops a ball from Savage that hit him right between the 1 and 2.

Now Savage has missed three straight passes

Ka’imi Faibairn just dropped a 50+ field attempt. He was on the logo when he kicked it

Tony Washington Jr. has had a nice camp. Been one of the better pass rushers.

Will Fuller continues to make plays. This time with a nice catch in the back of the endzone

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Stephen Anderson saving the day for the O. Down the middle of the field, makes a nice catch

To me, it is no longer about making the 53 for Anderson. It about how many snaps is he taking from other TEs.

I remember my "bold" prediction when we signed Anderson about he'll get the majority of receptions for the TEs this season. This makes me smile a little bit

Is our D that good, or is our O that bad?

There are so many new players and some in critical positions that the offense is trying gel and come together imho. New QB, New RB, couple new offensive line players, a couple new receivers, etc. They just need time. I am very optimistic about the group.

And our D is that good. JJ being out is a good thing for them.

I'm sure he meant Bullough, Peters, & Cliette behind Cushing & McKinney.
I agree TK but was hoping why he sees any depth after Bullough? That is what I wanted him to address; not criticizing but looking for what I may have missed. As I said before, we have seen almost nothing depth wise from any other than Bullough. We have lots to be okay with team wise but we also have a whole lotta wishing and hoping.

Dam looks like Savage has been having a rough day. I saw on Facebook a video with Nuk making another one handed grab today.

I agree TK but was hoping why he sees any depth after Bullough? That is what I wanted him to address; not criticizing but looking for what I may have missed. As I said before, we have seen almost nothing depth wise from any other than Bullough. We have lots to be okay with team wise but we also have a whole lotta wishing and hoping.
You haven't missed anything. It's just I see things a bit differently. My take is that there are two ILB positions and it looks like we have three solid thumpers in Cushing, McKinney and Bullough. Plus McKinney is showing some cover skills as he begins to play more instinctively. I like what I've read about Peters being a converted safety and having the size to play ILB. If he can develope and be a solid cover man, then he fills that need. And then we have Cliette, if he can stay healthy. To me, this represents solid depth at the position.

Anderson is an undrafted free agent. The kid runs amazing routes. He's able to juke and dispense of defenders. He's quick on his breaks. He catches contested balls. Be blocks very well. I'm more then impressed with this kid. He should definitely start. He's better then anything we've seen since Daniels. He might even be better then him. He's no Gronk, but he's a very serious weapon.

Anderson is an undrafted free agent. The kid runs amazing routes. He's able to juke and dispense of defenders. He's quick on his breaks. He catches contested balls. Be blocks very well. I'm more then impressed with this kid. He should definitely start. He's better then anything we've seen since Daniels. He might even be better then him. He's no Gronk, but he's a very serious weapon.

He's smallish... if he can't block, then it kinda limits what we can really do with him. Putting him on the field, & you're kinda tipping your hand.

That's if he can't block.

He's smallish... if he can't block, then it kinda limits what we can really do with him. Putting him on the field, & you're kinda tipping your hand.

That's if he can't block.
The thing is, he CAN bock. He's good at holding off a linebacker to allow the running back to get around him. He's also devastating against a safety. He can chip the defensive end with help from the tackle. All he has to do is get in the tackling lane of a defender with the speed that will be going around his blocks. He'll be OK. His pass catching is the main thing. Being an outlet for Brock. That's where he'll be invaluable.

Back