Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2016

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
As such, he's always had his hand in the dirt.
Dang, you're correct...........I screwed up the wording in the posts from the beginning...........I meant to say that we were using him out of position as an OLB, since his entire career thus far has been with his hand in the dirt, and now with the Texans he will be expected to maintain a standing start..........trying to make the point that it may not work out as expected. :rake:

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Because he was at TC the other day . Cmon you know that !!! haha
That raised the possibility, but it isn't enough to make me assume he will be head coach. But Briles was on my wish list when Kubes was on his way out.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Briles might make an NFL assistant someday... doubtful, but just maybe

Number19

Hall of Fame
The question is indeed, can his shoulder carry the heavy load required of a starter. He has only played sparsely in 3 regular games since his last major shoulder labrum surgery of Jan 2015.

Just to remind people of his shoulder injury history, from my May 4, 2015 post:
I was aware of Mancz's history of injury and surgeries at the time we signed him. What was notable is that in spite of this, he lost relatively little playing time until the 3 games his senior year. In college he was either a fast healer or capable of playing at a high level with pain. At the time I was mostly concerned with his reoccurring shoulder problems. He's had a year and a half to put this behind him. His surgery last year was for his knee. Do we know which knee? The three games he missed in 2014 was for his left knee. I don't think he's having any problems this preseason so maybe we can be cautiously optimistic.

Number19

Hall of Fame
The Chronicle this morning had another mention of Mancz as a player to watch. It does seem that his performance during preseason has him beating out Bergstrom. OB is quoted as saying Mancz has worked hard to rehab and get himself into playing shape. As I mentioned above, this has been his history during college. When the bell rings, he is ready to go. Of course all rehabbing players say this, but Mancz says his knee feels great and everything is going well. His play during practice seems to support this, at least so far.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I was aware of Mancz's history of injury and surgeries at the time we signed him. What was notable is that in spite of this, he lost relatively little playing time until the 3 games his senior year. In college he was either a fast healer or capable of playing at a high level with pain. At the time I was mostly concerned with his reoccurring shoulder problems. He's had a year and a half to put this behind him. His surgery last year was for his knee. Do we know which knee? The three games he missed in 2014 was for his left knee. I don't think he's having any problems this preseason so maybe we can be cautiously optimistic.
The Chronicle this morning had another mention of Mancz as a player to watch. It does seem that his performance during preseason has him beating out Bergstrom. OB is quoted as saying Mancz has worked hard to rehab and get himself into playing shape. As I mentioned above, this has been his history during college. When the bell rings, he is ready to go. Of course all rehabbing players say this, but Mancz says his knee feels great and everything is going well. His play during practice seems to support this, at least so far.
I am also well aware of Mancz's injury history, including his knee issues. I do not know if his last knee surgery was on his left or right knee since that information has been held back. He was already dealing with his knee problem prior to TC last year. He made it through only 3 games (the last one Sept 27) before requiring season ending surgery in Nov, after not being able to rest and rehab it for over a month. However, my main concern as I posted after he initially injured his knee still remained his shoulder. His repeated shoulder injuries of subluxation (which also lead to his other 2 surgeries) are commonly "popped" back in and the player either loses no time or very little time, especially for a player like a center, who does not have to extend his arms high above his head (as opposed to a WR or CB). However, progressive stretching of ligaments and damage to the shoulder labrum and rotator cuff takes its toll and major surgery is at some point in time a necessity. This was the case with Mancz. My point of concern last year as it still remains is that Mancz, after only 3 games, never really had his shoulder repair tested/proven long enough to feel comfortable with its durability.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Bergstrom played offensive tackle in college and after drafted by the Raider was used in the C and OG position for the Raiders. Mancz played OT and OG in college before he claimed the C position.
Nice to see the potential for positional versatility there.

I think Martin is THe centre and anyone else who covers there will need to be useful elsewhere on the line.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Andy Benoit
Andy Benoit‏ @Andy_Benoit

#Texans Notes: improved attention to detail from Hopkins would really benefit Houston’s offense. Poor route execution a problem at times.
Aug 23, 2016, 11:22 AM

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Do Begstrom or Mancz offer positional coverage at guard??
FWIW, Aaron Wilson was on 790 this morning with LZ and Matt Thomas, and while it was far from a prediction, he commented that given his performance thus far, he wouldn't be shocked to see Bergstrom left off of the final 53.

Porky

Hall of Fame
FWIW, Aaron Wilson was on 790 this morning with LZ and Matt Thomas, and while it was far from a prediction, he commented that given his performance thus far, he wouldn't be shocked to see Bergstrom left off of the final 53.
Honestly I was thinking the same. The reports haven't been overwhelmingly positive to say the least. I'm thinking they will be scouring the waiver wire and see if they bring in another interior swing player with some upside.

As far as Hopkins, I'll call bunk on that one. He's a top 5 WR in this league. Anything beyond that is nitpicking.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
In the two preseason games he's played... the 4 or 5 snaps or whatever it is... he's not really getting open. He got good separation that won time where he got the ball, tried to juke, then fell on his face.
You think he's making that statement based on the 4 or 5 routes he's run in pre season?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Seen Hop round off and drift a bit on routes a handful of times at least. This isn't to take a sledgehammer to his whole game, because of course he's been terrific. It is just to say what it is ... a part of his game that could be tightened a bit, and in doing so could contribute to making him even that much more terrific-er.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Five takeaways from Texans training camp: Aug. 24
By John McClain

The Texans returned outdoors for practice. It was hot and humid, but they had a spirited practice that wasn't as long as some have been. Coach Bill O'Brien told the players if they do their drills the way they're supposed to, they'll be done.

1 Complete day: There's much more to being the starting quarterback than throwing to receivers. Brock Osweiler had another good day putting the ball where it was supposed to go, but his coaches and teammates were more impressed with his command of the huddle, his knowledge of the offense, his confidence at the line of scrimmage and his decision making.

2 Hitting his stride: After starting slow because he missed the offseason program recovering from injuries, second-year cornerback Kevin Johnson has been outstanding the last two weeks in practice and games. He had another exceptional practice Tuesday. After wearing down at the end of his rookie year, Johnson is stronger physically and mentally. He was all over the field.

3 Other positives: Because running back Lamar Miller is so fast and recorded TD runs of 97 and 85 yards the last two seasons with Miami, many think his game revolves around speed. He's fast and is capable of scoring whenever he touches the ball, but he showed again in practice Tuesday that he's a superb receiver and a solid blocker, especially when it comes to picking up the blitz.

4Run stopper: Outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, who emerged as a big-time pass rusher last season, is playing in his fifth year, but he's still only 26. Mercilus wants to excel against the run and pass. It's obvious watching him in practice that he's not making mental mistakes. On run plays, he's almost always around the ball. He takes a lot of pride in stopping the run.

5Has it covered: Second-year inside linebacker Benardrick McKinney has been working hard in practice on dropping into coverage. Last year's second-round pick played well in every phase over the second half of his rookie season. They were 8-3 when he started. He's been strong against the run in the two preseason games. His pass coverage has to improve, but the coaches are confident it will.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
5Has it covered: Second-year inside linebacker Benardrick McKinney has been working hard in practice on dropping into coverage. Last year's second-round pick played well in every phase over the second half of his rookie season. They were 8-3 when he started. He's been strong against the run in the two preseason games. His pass coverage has to improve, but the coaches are confident it will.
Glad pancakes is around to tell us Mckinney sucks in coverage.

And shocked that the coaches who get paid to help McKinney get better, say he'll get better. What are they supposed to say??

Worthless reporting is worthless

PapaL

Loose Screw
In case anyone wants more info on Greg Mancz, here is his draft profile:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/greg-mancz?id=2552244
Analysis
Strengths
Technician. Proper hand placement in pass protection and as a run blocker. Uses his understanding of positioning, angles and leverage to open running lanes. Allows defenders to run themselves into the wrong gap. Rarely out of position and has plus balance at impact. Displays very little wasted motion. Breaks down in space and finds target when pulling or climbing to second level. Plays with great confidence and composure. Can sink hips and drop anchor against bull-rush. Well-schooled with excellent football intelligence. Team leader. Has played tackle, guard and center and is proficient snapping from shotgun.
Weaknesses
Doesn't play with desired power. Needs more bulk and strength in lower body. Usually gets movement on nose tackle with help from a double team. Questionable hand strength to latch on and contain defender. Won't stay glued to second-level block as consistently as expected. Didn't face size and power in the MAC that he will see in NFL.
Draft Projection
Round 6 or 7
NFL Comparison
J.C. Tretter
Bottom Line
He needs a year in the weight room, but Mancz is ahead of the game in terms of his understanding of offensive-line play. After playing all three positions, Mancz offers the type of versatility that teams covet, but his average play strength could be a draft-day counter to his versatility. Based on Mancz's tape and history, one would have to expect that he will find a way to succeed in the league.