Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2016

Numbers game is going to be tough with so many WRs getting good press and speed being the featured trait of the offense now.

How many spots do WR and RB get on the final roster? Going to be some tough cuts in that group
Today, I have six Dhop, Strong, Fuller, Brax Miller, Shorts (bubble) and Mumphery (bubble). I am carrying Wendell Williams on returns.

Josh Lenz causes a buzz in my ear due to his pro day stats but did nothing with them next four years. I don't know if that was on him or circumstances.

Lenz's most impressive performance was arguably his sub-4.4 time in the
40-yard dash. Unofficially, Lenz clocked a 4.35 for a personal record.

"I was pretty happy about everything," said Lenz, who weighed in at 201
pounds and stands at 5-foot-11. "I had a vertical (leap) of 38 1/2 inches, but
last week I had a 40, so I wasn't where I wanted to be but still happy about
it. Lenz also set personal bests in the bench (21 reps at 225 pounds), broad jump
(10-1) and three-cone drill (6.59).

Lenz also participated in position drills, running through routes and
catching passes. According to Lenz, he didn't have any drops.

Today, I have six Dhop, Strong, Fuller, Brax Miller, Shorts (bubble) and Mumphery (bubble). I am carrying Wendell Williams on returns.

Josh Lenz causes a buzz in my ear due to his pro day stats but did nothing with them next four years. I don't know if that was on him or circumstances.

Supposedly he's been looking good so far. Making plays.

Last edited:
Don't know if it was mentioned but on goaline prosch carried the ball with vainuku lead blocking. They supposedly mowed through the def for a forceful td.

Williams is super intriguing.

The talk seems to have him as a football guy not a sprinter which would be amazing with his speed.

Wonder if he could be a gunner on coverage too.

It is what it is.... I think we're digging way deeper into this thing than we really ought to. Regardless what O'b saI'd, or Harris or whoever... they went out & signed a new starter then drafted a guy who will make the roster.

Arguing about what Blue did, didn't do, was or will be is like arguing Mumphry's ability to step into the #1 WR spot.

Gotta keep reminding ourselves that he was drafted on the ass end of the 6th round and was only getting the workload because Foster couldn't stay healthy. Anything he gave us was gravy and I thank him for his service while hoping it is never needed again at that level.

The talk seems to have him as a football guy not a sprinter which would be amazing with his speed.

At 5'-10" and 185 lbs I wouldn't risk it. But he's more likely to earn a spot as the KO returner.

He is reported to have had some very good catches...........with some sprinkling of drops of "easy" catches.

The cut at WR is going to be brutal.

Completely safe:
Dhop
Fuller
B. Miller
J. Strong

That leaves one or two spots. My guess is they carry six.

Shorts
Mumphrey
W. Williams

I think it's two of those three. Mumph is apparently having a good camp and is a good move the chains guy and has some red zone skills. He can also help on ST. Shorts has the experience and is still faster than Mumph, even at his age. Williams is the intriguing and raw wild card with speed to burn. This is one of the big camp battles to watch over the next month.

FA Guys supposedly having good camps -

Tevin Williams
Josh Lenz

I look for one or even both of these guys to land on the PS.

Completely safe:
Dhop
Fuller
B. Miller
J. Strong

Shorts
Mumphrey
W. Williams

I think it's two of those three. Mumph is apparently having a good camp and is a good move the chains guy and has some red zone skills. He can also help on ST. Shorts has the experience and is still faster than Mumph, even at his age. Williams is the intriguing and raw wild card with speed to burn. This is one of the big camp battles to watch over the next month.

Tevin Williams
Josh Lenz

Certainly will be an interesting camp. But as usually happens, I expect things will tend to filter out to 6 by "natural selection"............based upon performance or injury.

I've been saying it for awhile now, I don't think Cecil Shorts is a lock to make the roster. I can see us going young and full of potential.

Aaron Wilson Verified account ‏@AaronWilson_NFL

Bill O'Brien on Charles James 'he was a really good gunner, did a number of things. He's a guy who really understands his role'

Bill O'Brien on tight ends 'pretty diverse group' praised C.J. Fiedorowicz development as route-runner, blocker. Ryan Griffin given day off

Bill O'Brien on Nick Martin 'he's a good player, he's tough, he's strong, he's one of the better rookies I've been around'

Bill O'Brien on Nick Martin 'he's a good player, he's tough, he's strong, he's one of the better rookies I've been around'

Undrafted rookie Quenton Bundrage made some plays today at Texans training camp, including a long reception on a Brandon Weeden pass

Texans worked inside the practice bubble today. Bill O'Brien said they'll do that occasionally.

Texans tight end Anthony Denham briefly left practice to get checked out by trainers, but finished the workout

Lamar Miller @millertime_6 was elusive in open field, difficult for defenders to track down in pursuit.

Texans tight end Ryan Griffin, coming off Achilles injury that sidelined him in the spring, given the day off

Last edited:
I notice he didn't mention Fidos stellar catching abilities.

.....And he's always called him a strong blocker.........
sarcastic.gif

I hate saying this, because we're a fanbase weary with QB controversies... But based on what I've seen in mechanics, arm talent, and system knowledge, I prefer Savage as the QB. Of course we still need more evidence from both, but my gut feeling is strong on that preference.

I don't want to derail the thread into that discussion, but I am requesting that anyone attending the practices pay attention to Savage.

Savage is having an excellent camp. I like how quickly he is deciding things when he has the ball. It is hard/perhaps unfair to make a direction comparison because of the defenses they are facing, how much time Savage v Oz have had in the system by this time in camp. I think it is too early to be saying too much definitively about this topic. Relatedly, I like the way Clowney looks this camp. A lot.

[QUOTE]Bill O'Brien sings praises of Texans rookie lineman Nick Martin
Updated 1:28 pm, Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The precocious nature of center Nick Martin has earned him a reputation as a sharp, technically sound blocker and a tough customer at the line of scrimmage.

It's also earned him the distinction as one of the top rookies Texans coach Bill O'Brien has ever coached. And O'Brien's coaching background overlaps with New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski when he was a rookie.

The younger brother of Dallas Cowboys standout offensive lineman Zack Martin, the second-round draft pick from Notre Dame is competing with veteran Tony Bergstrom for an immediate starting job.

Texans rookie center Nick Martin (right) has earned strong praise from coach Bill O'Brien so far in training camp.

"It's been good, he's a good player," O'Brien said of Martin. "He's tough, he's strong, very smart guy. He'll have his ups and downs just being a rookie and having to deal with the different physical nature of pro football versus college football, but he's one of the better rookies I've been around."

Martin has injected athleticism and versatility into the Texans' offensive line.

A three-year starter and two-time captain for the Fighting Irish who played in the Senior Bowl all-star game, Martin was drafted with the 50th overall pick.

"I love Nick and I love him for a couple reasons," Texans quarterback Brock Osweiler said. "First of all, Nick's just a tremendous person. He's a great friend. I've had a ton of fun with him on and off the football field. So, he's a great guy.

"More importantly, as a football player he comes to work, he has an edge about him, he comes to work every single day, he wants to get better, and every single day he does get better. As far as what you said, a rookie center coming into this system and going out there and playing at the level he is, it's truly impressive."

The joke around the Texans organization is the next center they need to draft is currently in middle school.

Signed to a four-year, $4.77 million contract that includes $2.78 million guaranteed and a $1.67 million signing bonus, Martin is a polished blocker.

"Nick Martin is coming in here and so far it looks like a rookie who is mature beyond his years," O'Brien said. "He understands the work ethic. I'm sure his older brother has helped him with that a little bit, but he has come in here and done some good things."[/QUOTE]

Completely safe:
Dhop
Fuller
B. Miller
J. Strong

Shorts
Mumphrey
W. Williams

Tevin Williams
Josh Lenz

Hard to see everything in camp all at once, but I have very much been focusing on the offense due to all the changes. And everybody *sees* things differently based on what they've seen/knowledge base. I think final roster partially ends up being determine by who makes it healthy thru camp. It's hard to get everybody thru the preseason in one piece.

As far as the offseason goes, this is how I see things: Hopkins and Strong have had a great camp. Strong looks very consistent/solid, which is what they wanted from him. B. Miller draws your eye to him. Far better than I expected, learned a bunch between minicamp and now. Fuller can make even good defenders looks stupid, would like to see more consistency but you can see why they drafted him. Shorts is Shorts. Solid veteran stuff. Williams has ridiculous speed but sometimes has trouble tracking the ball in. Mumphrey, I'm not as high as some one him--to me his camp has been too up and down with this many quality guys on the roster, but his value comes from knowing the offense.

Too early to say about T. Williams/Lenz or any of the other WRs.

Relatedly, Quenton Bundrage got surprisingly behind the defense on a deep ball today. Nice jets catching and going. Good speed for his size, athleticism, nice frame.

I notice he didn't mention Fidos stellar catching abilities.

The TEs as a group and day to day have not been fun to watch catching. At all. Not just CJF, but the entire group. Part of that is being spoiled watching practices when the TEs as a group were better than the WRs as a group. Too many missed catchable balls.

It is not a surprise that Stephen Anderson has been mentioned so much--will like to see more of his development with pads on, because he has made both easy and tough catches in camp.

The TEs as a group and day to day have not been fun to watch catching. At all. Not just CJF, but the entire group. Part of that is being spoiled watching practices when the TEs as a group were better than the WRs as a group. Too many missed catchable balls.

It is not a surprise that Stephen Anderson has been mentioned so much--will like to see more of his development with pads on, because he has made both easy and tough catches in camp.

I was thinking Mr Anderson could make this team on that fact alone!

Andersons strongest trait (imo) is finding holes in zone coverage, which is something we haven't had at TE in a long time. Looking forward to him making the team.

At 5'-10" and 185 lbs I wouldn't risk it. But he's more likely to earn a spot as the KO returner.
I am not much a fan of "gunners" who have speed only as they can be easily hurt by blockers. I would rather have a TE or LB who can better take the shock. Also, a player that can "analyze" or "feel" how run back will develop and avoid blockers is more useful.

"It's been good, he's a good player," O'Brien said of Martin. "He's tough, he's strong, very smart guy. He'll have his ups and downs just being a rookie and having to deal with the different physical nature of pro football versus college football, but he's one of the better rookies I've been around."
**"Nick Martin is coming in here and so far it looks like a rookie who is mature beyond his years," O'Brien said. "He understands the work ethic. I'm sure his older brother has helped him with that a little bit, but he has come in here and done some good things."

That's spectacular praise coming from Billy. Actually from any NFL HC that's some real strong language about a rookie who hasn't played a single snap in an NFL game, not even an exhibition/preseason game. I can only hope the coach has got it right on this rookie.

**"Nick Martin is coming in here and so far it looks like a rookie who is mature beyond his years," O'Brien said. "He understands the work ethic. I'm sure his older brother has helped him with that a little bit, but he has come in here and done some good things."

That's spectacular praise coming from Billy. Actually from any NFL HC that's some real strong language about a rookie who hasn't played a single snap in an NFL game, not even an exhibition/preseason game. I can only hope the coach has got it right on this rookie.

Martin seems to have the right disposition to be a center. It is a hard transition to make, with both center and QB same time, but yes, that is good praise from OB. /also worth noting. IMO O'Brien this season seems more comfortable praising individual players than in the previous two camps. In the past he would usually preface with "All the guys in this group are working hard bleeblah" and then talk about that specific player. He still does that some but not as common.

Texans have signed tackle Matt Pierson and cut corner Cleveland Wallace.

Although Matt Pierson is referred to by the Texans as a "tackle," it appears that last year, he played all but 1 game as a left guard........that 1 other game was at right tackle. Unless anything has significant has changed, he played at 260 pounds at the end of last year............and is probably unlikely to weigh any more than 270 pounds today. At 6'6", I have a difficult time picturing him at a Texans tackle or guard.

[Edit: NFldraftscout.com lists him as Center (1st position)/OG (2nd position) with a weight of 295............weight from Pro Day..........not aware of Pierson ever playing center for the Ducks]

Last edited:
Texans have signed tackle Matt Pierson and cut corner Cleveland Wallace.

Although Matt Pierson is referred to by the Texans as a "tackle," it appears that last year, he played all but 1 game as a left guard........that 1 other game was at right tackle. Unless anything has significant has changed, he played at 260 pounds at the end of last year............and is probably unlikely to weigh any more than 270 pounds today. At 6'6", I have a difficult time picturing him at a Texans tackle or guard.

[Edit: NFldraftscout.com lists him as Center (1st position)/OG (2nd position) with a weight of 295............weight from Pro Day..........not aware of Pierson ever playing center for the Ducks]

camp body?

There are five takeaways [by McClain] from the Texans' fourth practice at training camp:

1. Because of the heat in the first three practices, coach Bill O'Brien moved the fourth one into the bubble. Practicing inside for the first time, the players seemed to have fresher legs. They were quicker in and out of the huddle. Practice was more up-tempo and shorter. O'Brien said they would go back to practicing outside Thursday. They should practice in the bubble once more before they travel to Santa Clara, Calif., next week to practice against San Francisco before the Aug. 14 preseason opener against the 49ers.

2. Cornerback is in good hands. The Texans have eight cornerbacks on their roster. Barring injury, the first four should be set: Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson starting for the sixth consecutive year, and Kevin Johnson and A.J. Bouye the first off the bench. Charles James, the fan favorite, is working hard to win that fifth spot while also excelling on special teams. Bouye had his best practice as far as coverage, breaking up two passes in the end zone. Johnson, who was so impressive as the first-round pick last year, seems to improve each week.

3. On Tuesday, when players put on their pads for the first time and worked hard on the running game, the defense was ahead of the offense. New running back Lamar Miller was stuffed on goal-line runs. The linemen got steamrolled. But the offense bounced back Wednesday with a couple of impressive touchdown runs by Miller. The quarterbacks caught the defense napping on two touchdown passes. Expect the defense to recover Thursday.

4. Practice is only the second-best way to evaluate kicking competition. Game competition is the way the job will be settled between veteran Nick Novak and undrafted rookie Ka'imi Fairbairn. Coach Bill O'Brien praised the job they've done in practice. He hasn't determined how he'll use the kickers when preseason games begin. At 34, Novak is 12 years younger than Fairbairn [????an oops by McClain...........that would make Novak 10 years old], who won the Lou Groza Award at UCLA last year. Field goals are most important, of course, but kickoffs may be the decisive factor in which kicker makes the 53-man roster.

5. Watching the first four practices, it's apparent that safety is going to be a difficult cut. If they keep four, they must play well on special teams. Starters Andre Hal and Quintin Demps return. Veteran Eddie Pleasant made some big plays down the stretch last season. K.J. Dillon was drafted, and free agent Antonio Allen was signed. The coaches like former undrafted free agents Corey Moore and Kurtis Drummond, both entering their second seasons. Moore and Drummond are hard hitters like Pleasant and, the coaches hope, Dillon. The coaches also like Lonnie Ballentine, who's on physically unable to perform. He's been injured for most of his first two seasons, but they don't want to give up on him.

Savage is having an excellent camp. I like how quickly he is deciding things when he has the ball. It is hard/perhaps unfair to make a direction comparison because of the defenses they are facing, how much time Savage v Oz have had in the system by this time in camp. I think it is too early to be saying too much definitively about this topic. Relatedly, I like the way Clowney looks this camp. A lot.

I just wonder at what point you look at a backup QB and think, "How much more ability should we ask a guy to demonstrate before we consider a QB competition?" If a guy is looking Aaron Rodgeresque in camp and preseason, what do you do? My answer: Osweiler better not miss any games.

Clowney dropping weight is the right decision. His frame has already exhibited its limitations. With a leaner and quicker build, he's still stronger than almost every OT he'll face.

Agreed. re" Dre. Could be special?! What's the clown move? the hit on Jaelen?

Probably referring to the hit on Strong, but looks like that's just Cush being Cush, as we saw last year on HK.

Don't think I saw it reported on here, but I heard on the radio, I think Pat Starr say Cushing had the best trash talk of camp when after the defense was shutting the offense out of the goal line drills, Cush yells "YEAH KEEP DRAFTING OFFENSE, YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT!!"

That made me lol

I just wonder at what point you look at a backup QB and think, "How much more ability should we ask a guy to demonstrate before we consider a QB competition?" If a guy is looking Aaron Rodgeresque in camp and preseason, what do you do? My answer: Osweiler better not miss any games.

Clowney dropping weight is the right decision. His frame has already exhibited its limitations. With a leaner and quicker build, he's still stronger than almost every OT he'll face.
I am long time fan of Savage and think his 2 year wait has allowed him to learn and adapt to NFL. When he played in college he was good especially with going without playing so long. He will have to play like Rogers to start before Os. Just a reminder that only first two seasons are heavy laden with $37 m guaranteed paid by end of 2017 if need to move him. Expensive yes, but does not wreck the cap. The concern would be if he had to ride bench behind Savage. He might act like a previous QB. Having said this, I think Os will be fine even if he sits a few games. Might be interesting to keep eye on situation other end of North 45.

Clowney weight loss should help his lower extremity issues as well as his speed.

Probably referring to the hit on Strong, but looks like that's just Cush being Cush, as we saw last year on HK.yan

Don't think I saw it reported on here, but I heard on the radio, I think Pat Starr say Cushing had the best trash talk of camp when after the defense was shutting the offense out of the goal line drills, Cush yells "YEAH KEEP DRAFTING OFFENSE, YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT!!"

That made me lol
not me; don't want a Buddy Ryan type player causing division between O & D. He takes out a 2nd round pick at play maker position with a cheap play and Cush should be severely punished. Big difference between trash talk & trash play.

Being a 4th (practically a 5th) Tom's only shot is to come in in relief & light it up. Osweiler won't lose his job to injury, but that's the only way Savage will ever be our starter.

not me; don't want a Buddy Ryan type player causing division between O & D. He takes out a 2nd round pick at play maker position with a cheap play and Cush should be severely punished. Big difference between trash talk & trash play.

Takes out? Cheap play? heard he just gave him a love tap... big difference to taking out on a cheap play

Takes out? Cheap play? heard he just gave him a love tap... big difference to taking out on a cheap play

Knocking a player to the ground on a no contact drill, on the first day of practice, while they're running is a cheap shot not a love tap. That's why Strong got up PO'd at Cush and they had to be separated. He does petty **** like this every year.

25 observations from Day 4 of #TexansCamp
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...xansCamp/e5bc82d9-3c25-4514-8cb8-ef32e1fac65e

5. One of those guys that is taking advantage of every opportunity to make plays at the linebacker position is
Max Bullough. He had another solid day today. He broke up a pass in the back of the end zone during 7-on-7 red zone. But, his ability to read blocks, see run plays develop and fit himself in a position to make a play was really good today. He’s made significant improvement year over year and his comfort level is evident at inside linebacker.

6. I get asked often about the tight end position and one guy that we all have pigeon-holed into a “blocking tight end” spot is third year guy
C.J. Fiedorowicz. But, watching him in 1-on-1s the past few days against safeties and linebackers, he’s come a long way as a pass catcher. On Tuesday, I heard tight end coach John Perry give C.J. kudos for getting open after a “great route”. Today, it was much of the same. I saw him catch five or six balls, at a minimum, and I didn’t get a chance to watch all of his reps. He got open against safeties and linebackers, alike. If he’s able to do that consistently, it can open up so much more in the passing game.

7. He caught one pass going across the formation with a fairly impactful head of steam. I can’t remember who the defensive back was, but Fiedorowicz had radar look on the defensive back after he caught the rock. The poor defensive back got out of the way, throwing a shoulder into C.J. so he didn’t get run over. I don’t blame him.

15. The offensive line’s pass protection today seemed much improved as there were a handful of times when each of the three quarterbacks were able to pitch a tent in the pocket.

16. One guy that still causes issues for any offensive line is Jadeveon Clowney. There was a run away from him early in team practice and I’m telling you, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him run that fast in my life. He tracked down the running back in about five steps. The front side of the defense set the edge and forced the running back to bounce and Clowney was coming. In a live game, that would’ve been a TFL for five or six yards lost.

21. I like seeing Nick Martin and Jeff Allen working the double team together. I don’t who the defensive lineman was, but those two nearly knocked him on his wallet.

25. My last observation was another touchdown catch for Jaelen Strong. The second year receiver ran to the right flat, turned around, caught the ball on the run and sprinted into the far right corner of the end zone. Seems as though I’ve seen that play before...somewhere...man, I don’t know, maybe it was just a roll of the dice.

Knocking a player to the ground on a no contact drill, on the first day of practice, while they're running is a cheap shot not a love tap. That's why Strong got up PO'd at Cush and they had to be separated. He does petty **** like this every year.

I hadn't heard he had knocked him to the ground... It was presented as a love tap and nothing more

1. Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 26m26 minutes ago
    Brush-up of the day: Cushing with a love tap on Jaelen, after catch over the middle. Jaelen wasn't thrilled, OB quickly squashed it.

Martin seems to have the right disposition to be a center. It is a hard transition to make, with both center and QB same time, but yes, that is good praise from OB. /also worth noting. IMO O'Brien this season seems more comfortable praising individual players than in the previous two camps. In the past he would usually preface with "All the guys in this group are working hard bleeblah" and then talk about that specific player. He still does that some but not as common.
So O'Brien is perhaps mellowing some, not quite as gruff and grouchy. That's probably a positive development for those who play and coach for him.
I have a question for you TC which I've also asked others who don't seem to be as curious about as I am. Martin along with the Xman are of course both very high draft picks, second-rounders. So in their 3 Drafts together, the O'Brien/Smith tandem seems to have placed a higher priority on the interior Oline than the tackle position. Actually they haven't drafted a single offensive tackle, in any round, in their 3 Drafts ? Now most rank the OT position higher than the center/guard in positional value. And with their best OT, Duane Brown, getting along in his NFL career an having some injury issues I'm puzzled why they've not addressed that position in their Drafts to develop a young prospect ?

I hadn't heard he had knocked him to the ground... It was presented as a love tap and nothing more

I can't find where I read he knocked him down but if it gets to the point where the HC has to tell someone to cut the *crap, he crossed a line. Would you agree with that? At that point it's like babysitting giant children.

I can't find where I read he knocked him down but if it gets to the point where the HC has to tell someone to cut the *crap, he crossed a line. Would you agree with that? At that point it's like babysitting giant children.

meh, it's football. Even playing 2 handed touch you get knocked around

meh, it's football. Even playing 2 handed touch you get knocked around
Agreed - here's Pat D. Stats take on it

PDS ‏@PatDStat Aug 1
Cush gives Jaelen Strong some extra love across the middle. Strong didn’t like the extra push. #Texans

Love tap, extra love - it's football. It's no big deal that Cushing got a bit overenthusiastic, just like it's no big deal that Strong demonstrated his dislike of that enthusiasm.

Back