Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

That's the future and the future will take care of itself. We have a season of football immediately in front of us and we are a better team than last year.

We addressed our two main areas of concern, the Oline and our defensive backfield. Our corp of receivers are improved. We had one defensive setback with the loss of Clowney.

But overall, we had a sucessful off-season and, even facing a tougher schedule, are now in a good position to defend our divisional title.

Why cry in your beer over a future you can't predict.

Late to the party as I generally don't post much on the weekends, but if we are to be better than last year, we have to:
1) Have 12 or more wins
2) Not crap the bed in the playoffs
3) Get less than 62 sacks on Watson (likely)

Also, defending a division title in a weak division means little. Getting to the AFCCG or SB should be the goal. Getting in the playoffs and crapping out in the WC or Divisional Round isn't "special".

That's why I nicknamed him Teflon O'Brien.

Teflon O’Brein
Teflon OB
T OB
TOBY
Confirmed.
4eb45b41dc5d70aef60361f85f8a945d.jpg
b7c6b175a663c213f3d7e817a6dd8438.jpg

1 - Unlikely, unless Gibbs does actually come back (and did you mean Howard ... the first round LT we spent two more first picks to replace?). DB was a monster in every possible aspects thanks to years of great coaching.
2 - Gibbs had a total of two years here, everything before/during/after was Kubiak who knew how to coach his linemen (thanks to previous work with Gibbs/Shanahan/Walsh/etc).
3 - You're (as always) talking out of both sides ... coaching or in spite of coaching. And supporting that coaching, or lack there of? Is he finally THE talent or being put into an impossible situation thanks to lack of talent elsewhere. I've never shied away from standing with you (or even being more aggressive) on the grounds of offensive linemen, but there's a quote in Tropic Thunder for times like this. We went full.

I basically agree with this post, except Kubiak never coached the OL a day in his life. Before Gibbs got here the OL was avg at best. Did Kubiak coach that OL? Nope

Gibbs trained not only the OL he also trained Benton to take over for him when he retired. We've been spoiled by Gibbs he's a GOAT and Devlin wouldn't make a pimple on Gibbs butt. How do you overcome lesser coaching? With talent and there's no denying they did everything possible to improve the OL this offseason. Devlin has a wealth of talented, although small school guys to work with. It's up to Devlin to get these guys up to the speed of the NFL as soon as possible. I give them 6 games to work out the kinks. No excuses

Bob died, Rick left for family and O'B has run everyone else out of the building. He inherited everything he needed from a player standpoint and brought coaches throughout the Patriot and Penn St organizations that had worked with him. Dude has complete control of the organization, and has for years ... there are just a hand full of folks that haven't realized it (hi). Much like the great move of Stephen taking Zach Martin instead of Manziel, Rick Smith had the 'shut up' moment to take Watson as his guy - the only non/Kubiak player keeping the franchise alive. Sure he wasn't good enough to beat out Savage as the opening day starter, but otherwise it really must eat you up.

See: this is where we differ, RS was in control of personnel. See: the pic when Watson was drafted and BOB saying I coach who they give me.

Anyways, this is all old history, BOB is in charge now and he put more capital in the OL in 1 offseason than RS did in a decade and for that I say kudos.

I basically agree with this post, except Kubiak never coached the OL a day in his life. Before Gibbs got here the OL was avg at best. Did Kubiak coach that OL? Nope

Gibbs trained not only the OL he also trained Benton to take over for him when he retired. We've been spoiled by Gibbs he's a GOAT and Devlin wouldn't make a pimple on Gibbs butt. How do you overcome lesser coaching? With talent and there's no denying they did everything possible to improve the OL this offseason. Devlin has a wealth of talented, although small school guys to work with. It's up to Devlin to get these guys up to the speed of the NFL as soon as possible. I give them 6 games to work out the kinks. No excuses

Here we go again with the vast underrating of what head coaches do. It's someone elses responsibility.

bs. it's gotten more dysfunctional as he's gained power. he's been the source of dysfunction the whole time.

SMH,

Apparently you dont understand the meaning of the word dysfunction.

RS/BOB had a dysfunctional relationship.

BOB is now running the show (Much to your chagrin) and the scouts/ pro personnel dept work for him. If this works great, but make no mistake everybody in the Texans org are on the same page and share BOB's vision.

Last edited:
I basically agree with this post, except Kubiak never coached the OL a day in his life.

I deleted the rest of this post because you are obviously wrong, you are well aware of that, but went "full" anyways. I'm kinda curious what the rest of the post holds but dang, I used to argue with you out of respect.

I deleted the rest of this post because you are obviously wrong, you are well aware of that, but went "full" anyways. I'm kinda curious what the rest of the post holds but dang, I used to argue with you out of respect.

I respect you, but Kubiak has never coached the OL a day in his life. Go check out his coaching history if you like.

Here we go again with the vast underrating of what head coaches do. It's someone elses responsibility.

You've never managed a thing 1 day of your life have you?

You hire people and let them do their jobs. If they fail to do their jobs to your liking you fire them and hire new people.

Devlin has a wealth of talented, although small school guys to work with. It's up to Devlin to get these guys up to the speed of the NFL as soon as possible. I give them 6 games to work out the kinks. No excuses

Beautiful, we need a quote for "wealth of talent" ... with the qualifier "small school guys" because you cant be the official offensive line guy if your coach (can't blame anyone else anymore) fails to deliver. A couple years lamenting how incompetent Devlin is, but between obvious dysfunction moving the line around and 3 picks (how are you going to feel when a much better is available for that pick(s), twice) he's back in charge.

I'm in it Steel. We're invested. 6 first/second round draft picks right now in three spots (3 players). We have dropped a player, but we'll let that slide. You have everything you want.

Late to the party as I generally don't post much on the weekends, but if we are to be better than last year, we have to:
1) Have 12 or more wins
2) Not crap the bed in the playoffs
3) Get less than 62 sacks on Watson (likely)

Also, defending a division title in a weak division means little. Getting to the AFCCG or SB should be the goal. Getting in the playoffs and crapping out in the WC or Divisional Round isn't "special".

12 wins?

Some on here have them starting 0-6.

LMAOOO .. its cute to watch guys that just two days ago were first in line to the Bill OBrien hanging, go full 180 and start making excuses for him again. Pitiful.

Really the only good thing about this shoddy trade is that the O-Line is kind of better and Watson is kind of more protected....I just don't think "kind of" either is worth mortgaging the future. Two first rounders...woof.

Who cares if we got Clowney. He didn’t want to be here. Do you understand how much draft ammunition we have for the next two drafts? You guys got fleeced. No way around it. Two times today. Got fleeced on the Clowney trade and on the trade with my Dolphins. And you’re about to have to shell out a massive contract for Tunsil.

He didn’t want to resign with the Dolphins after his rookie contract so we made the BRILLIANT trade of he and Stills for two 1st and a 2nd. Future is BRIGHT
Yeah there is - Tunsil was a 13th pick - we picked @#23 last draft.
Not forgetting both he and Stills are proven in this league unlike untried draftees.

Last edited:
Tusil is a 1 himself
Stills is a 2nd...

basically gave up only a 1st...

That makes sense.

I think most people feel like a better negotiator could have done better. It is what it is.

The Clowney trade is totally separate that I think if both trades didn’t happen so close together, the Tunsil trade wouldn’t be as controversial.

Stills might have been cut

Also tunsil isn't on his rookie deal much longer and has a lot of leverage

LMAOOO .. its cute to watch guys that just two days ago were first in line to the Bill OBrien hanging, go full 180 and start making excuses for him again. Pitiful.

There are no excuses, I just think it will take 6 games for the OL to jell.

I also dont think the team is ready to win a SB this season. Next season they should be ready to compete with anybody for a championship.

Yeah there is - Tunsil was a 13th pick - we picked @#23 last draft.
Not forgetting both he and Stulls are proven in this league unlike untried draftees.

Be nice, he's a Miami fan. All they have is hope that they won't be Browns 2.0, high drafts every year and all of them crap, and that they might play well enough that Tom Brady has to actually think about the current game rather then who he is playing after the fins.

Really the only good thing about this shoddy trade is that the O-Line is kind of better and Watson is kind of more protected....I just don't think "kind of" either is worth mortgaging the future. Two first rounders...woof.

Especially when the defense is definitely worse

Obviously you no nothing about me.

You should talk to some of our esteemed MB members that know me and they will set the record straight for you.

I do know you, and despite our arguments have utmost respect for you as a person. The line you quoted was to make a point. I know that Kubiak has 2 decades of documented history working with Walsh, Gibbs, Shanahan, and quite famous for his own devices teaching and scheming offensive lines. You have my respect as your history, but you expect me to acknowledge your talents "because they said so" and agree with your bashing of someone else's proven success that we watched at the same time on TV.

Especially when the defense is definitely worse
For sure...Clowney should have been a priority. Sending a 3rd, 4th or 5th to avoid getting jumped in the draft should have been a priority.

Where do they post GM jobs for NFL teams? Someone here could sure as hell do better.

I was responding to Number19's post where he said we are BETTER than last year. I was listing things that would have to happen for us to be better.
We have a much tougher schedule. So, we could actually be a better team but not win 12 games. I'm with Steel that as the season progresses we'll progressively get better. Barring injury, I could see us winning 10 or 11 games, but peaking in the last quarter in time for the playoffs. But I am still predicting 12 wins. I'm thinking our performance against NO will tell me if I'm right.

We have a much tougher schedule. So, we could actually be a better team but not win 12 games. I'm with Steel that as the season progresses we'll progressively get better. Barring injury, I could see us winning 10 or 11 games, but peaking in the last quarter in time for the playoffs. But I am still predicting 12 wins. I'm thinking our performance against NO will tell me if I'm right.

Here's the thing: I don't actually think we'll be bad this year. I believe we can/will win the AFC South. I just disagree that that is anything special to write home about in a weak division. The 12 wins I mentioned is more of a technicality in being "better than last year", because you are correct that we have a tougher schedule (on paper) this year. I'll be more impressed if the line can protect Watson AND we can get past the Divisional Round of the playoffs without looking like a wounded animal looking to be put out of its misery.

There are no excuses, I just think it will take 6 games for the OL to jell.

I also dont think the team is ready to win a SB this season. Next season they should be ready to compete with anybody for a championship.
Agree, but I think they can be better than last year immediately.
Gonna be interesting to see how much extra time 4 might get. Not to mention the run game.

Agree, but I think they can be better than last year immediately.
Gonna be interesting to see how much extra time 4 might get. Not to mention the run game.

This trade will not only help the team, it will help Watson develop as a QB and increase the odds of keeping him healthy. I would even say this trade will help the defense because it will keep them off the field and keep them fresher/healthier.

Clowney is better than Mercilus but Mercilus is no slouch. How many sacks do you think Clowney will have this yr under Carroll? I say generously 14. I think if healthy Mercilus will have 10 or 11. Remember there are a lot of teams that will be throwing the ball 40 times a game on the schedule this yr

Last edited:
I would even say this trade will help the defense because it will keep them off the field and keep them fresher/healthier.

I wish I was as confident. IMO, as long as Martin is our Center we're going to struggle running the ball. & while DW4 & his speedy receivers may score a lot, I'm thinking it's going to be the quick kind.

I'm thinking we're going to be like the Colts after Edgerrin James. They get up on the scoreboard quick, pretty much taking away the opponent's run game. Then they bludgeon the clock with Joseph Addai.

I wish I was as confident. IMO, as long as Martin is our Center we're going to struggle running the ball. & while DW4 & his speedy receivers may score a lot, I'm thinking it's going to be the quick kind.

I'm thinking we're going to be like the Colts after Edgerrin James. They get up on the scoreboard quick, pretty much taking away the opponent's run game. Then they bludgeon the clock with Joseph Addai.

I dont think Martin will be starting by week 6.

He will probably have an injured ankle/knee. Fulton would be my choice to replace Martin.

I'm hoping elevated play around Miller will lift his game too.
That part may take a week or three but the arrow is already pointing up.

Heard it said that when you factor in the loss of rookie contract for 2 #1s vs their likely talent, that Tunsil is going to have a net cap cost of around $35-40 million per season over the course of the contract we sign him to.

That is one hell of an investment.

LOL @ Tunsils agent licking his chops and rubbing his hands nonstop! If the Texans had any sense whatsoever they would be working on an extension NOW, not to say that Tunsil would accept it, but it at least gives off the impression you understand the situation. Instead they will be happy making Tunsil the highest paid LT in NFL History after one good season.

LOL @ Tunsils agent licking his chops and rubbing his hands nonstop! If the Texans had any sense whatsoever they would be working on an extension NOW, not to say that Tunsil would accept it, but it at least gives off the impression you understand the situation. Instead they will be happy making Tunsil the highest paid LT in NFL History after one good season.
He’s already had one great season. This year he will be better and will have earned top dollar.

Heard it said that when you factor in the loss of rookie contract for 2 #1s vs their likely talent, that Tunsil is going to have a net cap cost of around $35-40 million per season over the course of the contract we sign him to.

That is one hell of an investment.

I guarantee you O'Brien or Easterby did not crunch the numbers or have this even cross their mind whatsoever. They seem to not even get the concept of value.

He’s already had one great season. This year he will be better and will have earned top dollar.

What constitutes "great" ?? He didnt even make the Pro Bowl team and his PFF grade is slotted as "NFL Starter" just curious. He gave up 2 sacks all year (nice I like) and then he had 10 penalties called on him (not so nice) ... on top of that his run blocking is borderline bad.

With that said Sure I agree he's trending up and could very well be an elite LT someday .. its not today. Funny thing is it doesnt even matter if Tunsil does become elite, Houston has backed themselves into a corner where they will have to make him the highest paid LT due to the investment, even if his play is not that great.

I guarantee you O'Brien or Easterby did not crunch the numbers or have this even cross their mind whatsoever. They seem to not even get the concept of value.

Guarantee?

Value is always in the 'eye of the beholder'. Obriens eyes are the only ones that count....for now.

I'm fairly certain that Obrien is aware of our cap numbers.

Chris Olsen is in charge of crunching the numbers and he most likely has input into all transactions. Probably not final say though.

Still waiting to see just why Easterby is on the payroll.

Just asking..Do you get any enjoyment at all of being a Houston Texan fan?

Gotta be more to enjoyment than constant complaining?

:coffee:

Last edited:
Guarantee?

Value is always in the 'eye of the beholder'. Obriens eyes are the only ones that count....for now.

I'm fairly certain that Obrien is aware of our cap numbers.

Chris Olsen is in charge of crunching the numbers and he most likely has input into all transactions. Probably not final say though.

Still waiting to see just why Easerby is on the payroll.

Just asking..Do you get any enjoyment at all of being a Houston Texan fan?

Gotta be more to enjoyment than constant complaining?

:coffee:

I have said many times I love Crennels defense but now OBrien has ruined that.

Hopkins Fuller and Watson are amazing players.

O'Brien just has no idea what he's doing. He a QB coach promoted way beyond his abilities and has somehow hacked the Texans org

Back