Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

Heard it said that when you factor in the loss of rookie contract for 2 #1s vs their likely talent, that Tunsil is going to have a net cap cost of around $35-40 million per season over the course of the contract we sign him to.

That is one hell of an investment.

That's a weird way of evaluating the trade. The net cost is 13 million for 2 years + whatever Tunsil's extension will be, divided by the number of years. Yeah you could get cheaper prospects with those picks, but that doesn't mean they will be worth the money.

The real question is, can the Texans come to an agreement to extend him, or will they franchise tag him and end up in another holdout situation?

That's a weird way of evaluating the trade. The net cost is 13 million for 2 years + whatever Tunsil's extension will be, divided by the number of years. Yeah you could get cheaper prospects with those picks, but that doesn't mean they will be worth the money.

The real question is, can the Texans come to an agreement to extend him, or will they franchise tag him and end up in another holdout situation?

The picks could be great or could bust. On average, they have a certain value and that's probably what went into the calculation

The first article also lists Trent Williams as number 12 so behind even Tunsil. Considering how many contradict that and say Williams is top three and the writer of that article is anonymous you'll forgive me for believing it to be a pile of BS.

Second article is written by Doug Farrar who if the Texans cured cancer would say they screwed up.

In other words neither article proves anything.

The first article also lists Trent Williams as number 12 so behind even Tunsil. Considering how many contradict that and say Williams is top three and the writer of that article is anonymous you'll forgive me for believing it to be a pile of BS.

Second article is written by Doug Farrar who if the Texans cured cancer would say they screwed up.

In other words neither article proves anything.

It proves karl has an agenda .

Good vid. noticed alot of cut ups on there of him vs effectively shutting down Clowney....lol..

This is my fave vid from the website.

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/laremy-tunsil-i-love-being-the-underdog

Kid's going to have a chip on his shoulder about everyone saying he wasn't worth what we gave up for him....

I agree and I absolutely love players with chip on their shoulders because they will push themselves harder then anyone to prove they are the best. Its a big factor in my book of why Brady is so good, he was taken in the 6th round where basically no one thought he would be more than maybe a backup. Its why I love Watson, he had the best record of the three drafted QBs that year but was taken last. In some ways its why I don't mind the Howard pick, people were saying he was a second at best and that Texans overreached so now he's got something to prove.

On the flip side I think its why I was never a Clowney fan. He was taken 1.1 with everyone talking about how amazing he was. He never seem to play like he had something to prove even on a team that also had Watt.

I agree and I absolutely love players with chip on their shoulders because they will push themselves harder then anyone to prove they are the best. Its a big factor in my book of why Brady is so good, he was taken in the 6th round where basically no one thought he would be more than maybe a backup. Its why I love Watson, he had the best record of the three drafted QBs that year but was taken last. In some ways its why I don't mind the Howard pick, people were saying he was a second at best and that Texans overreached so now he's got something to prove.

On the flip side I think its why I was never a Clowney fan. He was taken 1.1 with everyone talking about how amazing he was. He never seem to play like he had something to prove even on a team that also had Watt.

Clowney's that kid you coach in little league / high school that just has everything you look for from a measureables standpoint that says he should be a stud. but you get frustrated when coaching him b/c those measureables just don't translate to consistent dominance on the field. Sure, you'll get a flicker 1-2 times a game, but you as a coach just pull your hair out trying to figure out a way to get this kid to really realize his potential. After a while, you just realize that that's just him. He's the Dwight Howard of the NFL imo.

Clowney's that kid you coach in little league / high school that just has everything you look for from a measureables standpoint that says he should be a stud. but you get frustrated when coaching him b/c those measureables just don't translate to consistent dominance on the field. Sure, you'll get a flicker 1-2 times a game, but you as a coach just pull your hair out trying to figure out a way to get this kid to really realize his potential. After a while, you just realize that that's just him. He's the Dwight Howard of the NFL imo.

And that's what gets to me, I've looked at Clowney's stats and they are near mirrors of each other season to season. Its honest to God like he hits a certain point and then just stops. I'm not saying he's lazy I'm saying he's a near statistical impossibility. Even his best year of 17 when Watt was gone and he should have had his break out year he was just slightly better than previous years. He's a good player and no question the defense is weaker without him but he wasn't this game changer that other teams had to plan around that people are now making him out to be.

I don't know, maybe it was the coaching, maybe it was the scheme, maybe it was Clowney but a part of me is glad that he has moved on though I wish it had been done differently.

If Tunsil is shutting down Clowney why are they giving him double team help?

Lol, They're not actually really doubling him b/c he's dominating bro......It's b/c Clowney's go to rush move is dipping inside & trying to swim over the top. When he tries going outside & its just him & Tunsil 1 on 1, Tunsil pretty much locked him down. Clowney's bringing the double team help from the guard to himself b/c he keeps going inside. If the guard's not blocking anyone, why not chip his ass back outside?

Last edited:
Lol, They're not actually really doubling him b/c he's dominating bro......It's b/c Clowney's go to rush move is dipping inside & trying to swim over the top. When he tries that & its just him & Tunsil 1 on 1, Tunsil pretty much locked him down. Clowney's bringing the double team help from the guard to himself b/c he keeps going inside. If the guard's not blocking anyone, why not chip his ass back outside?

A very simple explanation that some don't understand. I will bet that he hasn't watched Tunsil in more than that clip. He certainly didn't watch Tunsil in college when he was the top prospect in the country.

Tunsil being a 1st time starter and finishing in the top half of LT's in NFL speaks to his talent level.

A very simple explanation that some don't understand. I will bet that he hasn't watched Tunsil in more than that clip. He certainly didn't watch Tunsil in college when he was the top prospect in the country.

Tunsil being a 1st time starter and finishing in the top half of LT's in NFL speaks to his talent level.

I have always said tunsil is very good. My problem is getting raped on the deal.

Top pass protector.

That said I wouldn't he surprised if he regresses just like all the other ol who play for OBrien

That is the only thing that we have a consensus opinion of on the board.

I don't know if it is all Devlin or if we really have had a complete lack of ability in our o linemen. Both??

I am sure that if things don't improve our QB is on the endangered list. Last year was a disgrace.

:coffee:

I honestly don't know what clip he's looking at, I'm largely just basing it on what I've seen from Clowney time & time again against other LT's.

That is the only thing that we have a consensus opinion of on the board.

I don't know if it is all Devlin or if we really have had a complete lack of ability in our o linemen. Both??

I am sure that if things don't improve our QB is on the endangered list. Last year was a disgrace.

Unfortunately RT is becoming as important as LT and Seantrel Henderson is terrible.

Depends on whether or not SteelB is ok with relinquishing our salary cap championship. :)

Clowney was doubled more than Watt last year.

& that was mostly because he floated around from the middle to the edge. Similar to what JJ got to do for 2-3 years he played without JD. The only major difference is that JJ was always down when he did it, Clowney got to stand up sometimes & get running starts at centers and guards....Despite that advantage & Clowney being more of the physical freak of the 2, we got more production out of JJ floating than JD...................& that speaks volumes.

& that was mostly because he floated around from the middle to the edge. Similar to what JJ got to do for 2-3 years he played without JD. The only major difference is that JJ was always down when he did it, Clowney got to stand up sometimes & get running starts at centers and guards....Despite that advantage & Clowney being more of the physical freak of the 2, we got more production out of JJ floating than JD...................& that speaks volumes.

So if they float Bark they'll double team him instead of Watt?

Dwight Howard is a pretty good comparison actually. I like that.

I'd say that these last three years he has been more of the early years where Howard was good in Orlando though.

I think once Clowney gets a huge contract you'll get the Howard that the Lakers and part of the Rockets and other teams saw where the inconsistency and effort part become a much bigger problem. I definitely think that Clowney has a similar mindset to Howard from a competitive standpoint. As a comparison this was as good as it gets.

So if they float Bark they'll double team him instead of Watt?

I think that with Merci & Martin...2 high motor guys quick off the edge it's a possibility that you could see more pressure being generated collectively as a team than you did with just Clowney. The float thing is irrelevant...not something that has to be done period. You want pressure from the middle, send Mckinney.

I think that with Merci & Martin...2 high motor guys quick off the edge it's a possibility that you could see more pressure being generated collectively as a team than you did with just Clowney. The float thing is irrelevant...not something that has to be done period. You want pressure from the middle, send Mckinney.

I seriously doubt they'll generate more pressure.

That's why Crennel is already kicking tires on LBs.

I never mentioned merci

Well of course you didn't b/c it doesn't support your agenda. But we both know Merci's role in the defense has now increased & he will be 1 of 2-3 guys depended on to make up JD's meager production....See for all the outrage around here about losing him for peanuts, that's what it all comes down to. Can JD's production be replaced.

Well of course you didn't b/c it doesn't support your agenda. But we both know Merci's role in the defense has now increased & he will be 1 of 2-3 guys depended on to make up JD's meager production....See for all the outrage around here about losing him for peanuts, that's what it all comes down to. Can JD's production be replaced.

We could have had both jd and meri.

We could have had both jd and meri.

We also could've gave up an extra 3rd and moved up to take Mahomes before KC did instead of just giving up the 1st to move up & settle for DW4.....Oh, and we could've taken Tom Brady in the 1st before NE did 5 rounds later too.......& we also could've drafted Julius Peppers instead of David Carr..........

Lol man, get your eyes out of the rear view mirror.

L
We also could've gave up an extra 3rd and moved up to take Mahomes before KC did instead of just giving up the 1st to move up & settle for DW4.....Oh, and we could've taken Tom Brady in the 1st before NE did 5 rounds later too.......& we also could've drafted Julius Peppers instead of David Carr..........

Lol you can't rearview me on stuff that just happened this past weekend

As Hall and Oates sing: he's gone. Everybody's high on consolation it's plain they can't comfort me. I need a drink and quick decision. Now it's up to me to let JD go! He's gone. What went wrong Bill? I better learn how to face it. Pay the devil to replace him. JD is gone.

He's gone are you ever gonna let him go?

Miami Dolphins have a starting OL in mind for Sunday, Brian Flores says. Julien Davenport, and everyone old or new, is ready to play. May play more than 5 OL.

— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) September 5, 2019

LOL it will be fun to compare the stats of the King Ghidorah (Merci/Martin/Scarlett) in comparison with JD. Some people in here are just talking out of their ass. "meager" .. "easy to replace" .. should be fun.

Of course Im going to interject with a Jadeveon Clowney comparison!!! I found it cute in the other thread where there were some guys saying that it will be easy to replace JD with JAGS, but Im sitting here wondering would the TExans have been better off just developing Roderick Johnson?? Would have been much cheaper and he looked pretty dang good in preseason. I mean if the separation between JD and the incumbents isnt that big, then certainly the gap between Tunsil and Johnson cant be that great. Tunsil is being based on the Texan formula of "what might happen in a year or two" .. while solid he isnt no pro bowler thats for sure.

HEE HEE.

:kitten:

To be fair, Texans didn't exist when Tom Brady was drafted. :clown:

LOL it will be fun to compare the stats of the King Ghidorah (Merci/Martin/Scarlett) in comparison with JD. Some people in here are just talking out of their ass. "meager" .. "easy to replace" .. should be fun.

Who said JD would be easy to replace?

I think Mercilus will do a good job in his contract yr, but replacing JD wont be easy. They could've kept JD on the tag and traded him next offseason. I wonder why they didn't do this.

To bad you wont see this since you have me on ignore.

JD didn't finish top 10 in not 1 major defensive stat last year. The closest he came was in TFL...he finished 11th.......His counterpart on the opposite side...He finished top 5 in just about all the major defensive categories. So yes, his stats are meager for a guy thought to be 1 of the 15-20 best overall talents in the game that was selected #1 overall & trying to be paid like the 2 best defensive players in the game today.

JD didn't finish top 10 in not 1 major defensive stat last year. The closest he came was in TFL...he finished 11th.......His counterpart on the opposite side...He finished top 5 in just about all the major defensive categories. So yes, his stats are meager for a guy thought to be 1 of the 15-20 best overall talents in the game that was selected #1 overall & trying to be paid like the 2 best defensive players in the game today.

Tweet from @PFF: Jadeveon Clowney was the No. 2 graded edge defender in run defense this past season

Tweet from @PFF: The star edge defender has generated 60 or more pressures and 40 or more stops in 2017 and 2018 - a feat accomplished by only two other edge defenders. https://twitter.com/jayglazer/status/1167815759646478340

Clowney has earned run-defense grades north of 75.0 in each of the last four seasons, and a staggering 47.2% of his career run tackles have been for a loss of yardage or no gain — second to only Michael Bennett (53.7%) among the 94 edge defenders with at least 500 run-defense snaps since 2014.

Protecting Watson isn't overspending.

You can draft a stud LT. Look at the Cowboys for an example. And putting all your eggs in one basket isn't wise whatever. Meaning into just the LT on that line. What about the rest.

Did you not see what Goff just got? Next year we will have to pay Watson that and some. Plus make Tunsil the highest paid LT.

But we suppose to model ourselves like the Patriots.

Last edited:
You can draft a stud LT. Look at the Cowboys for an example. And putting all your eggs in one basket isn't wise whatever. Meaning into just the LT on that line. What about the rest.

Did you not see what Goff just got? Next year we will have to pay Watson that and some. Plus make Tunsil the highest paid LT.

But we suppose to model ourselves like the Patriots.

You pay top $$$$ for 5-6 players.

QB/LT/Edge/CB there's more than enough $$$$ to pay those players.

Tweet from @PFF: Jadeveon Clowney was the No. 2 graded edge defender in run defense this past season

Tweet from @PFF: The star edge defender has generated 60 or more pressures and 40 or more stops in 2017 and 2018 - a feat accomplished by only two other edge defenders. https://twitter.com/jayglazer/status/1167815759646478340

Clowney has earned run-defense grades north of 75.0 in each of the last four seasons, and a staggering 47.2% of his career run tackles have been for a loss of yardage or no gain — second to only Michael Bennett (53.7%) among the 94 edge defenders with at least 500 run-defense snaps since 2014.

That's a great subjective cherry picked stat sweet pea..but I said MAJOR defensive stat categories...sacks, TFLs, tackles...you know, those stats that the guys he's trying to be paid like rack up on.

Also thought it was curious you linked a tweet that has a gif of Clowney getting pancaked by Nelson....lol.

Last edited:
Back