Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

He quickly corrected himself and said but he is playing LT here. But yeah, we did not trade all of that for a guard. Maybe he was going to make his point that Tunsil developed at guard his first year, but yeah, stupid, but he quickly corrected the dumb
He made a point to say everyone was versatile. Stills. Mingo. Martin. Crossen. All versatile. Other than being a "good teammate", being versatile is the highest compliment O'Brien can give a player.

Speaking of Crossen, I just read that he ran a 10.33 100 meters in college. So, he's got that going for him.

I am expecting OB to move him to play Center instead of Left Tackle. I would expect an explanation of “He is versatile and that what we want from our players. He is still mentoring our younger guys.” Instead of “I am a dumbass sent here to ruin this club on Belicheck’s orders.”

Can't find a link, but just saw a snip of O'Brien's presser discussing Tunsil. A portion of what he said:

"It's very difficult to develop a LT. He (Tunsil) is a proven LT....he's a versatile player that can play multiple positions..."

WHAT???? Tunsil is a freakin' LT!!!! You know, the position that's difficult (for you) to develop. Who in the **** cares if Tunsil can play another position??? He's a freakin' LT!

This guy is going to make my head explode with the stupid **** that comes out of his trap.

Edit: Link to presser.

Right there with you. I knew he would start thinking about it.

If Seantrel gets hurt or sucks (which will happen) I could see Tunsil at RT and Roderick at LT.

Lol.

That's absurd
excuseme.gif

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/02/n...-tunsil-bill-obrien-seahawks-jadeveon-clowney

• Tunsil is widely seen as one of the top-five left tackles in the game. He may not be an in-prime Trent Williams or Tyron Smith, but he’s not far off from that, and the Texans see him as a better player than Brown, Solder and Okung, and better than what Thomas projects to be. He checked the other boxes for the Texans, as a young, ascending player, a good locker room guy and an elite pass protector.

Put together the circumstances, and the Texans knew they’d have to overpay, but were O.K. with it for someone they believed was a true blue-chipper. It’s fair, of course, to question the move when looking at the two linemen Houston took in the first two rounds. Tytus Howard and Max Sharping were thought to be potential bookends at tackle. The team now sees Howard as the right tackle of the future and Sharping settling in at guard, where he may start against the Saints in Week 1.

O’Brien wanted to pull every lever—and he certainly did that.

Can't find a link, but just saw a snip of O'Brien's presser discussing Tunsil. A portion of what he said:

"It's very difficult to develop a LT. He (Tunsil) is a proven LT....he's a versatile player that can play multiple positions..."

WHAT???? Tunsil is a freakin' LT!!!! You know, the position that's difficult (for you) to develop. Who in the **** cares if Tunsil can play another position??? He's a freakin' LT!

This guy is going to make my head explode with the stupid **** that comes out of his trap.

Edit: Link to presser.
:spit: because crying only makes me sad.

Do I want to go into another season without a legit LT?

Couldn't get Nate Solder. Rankin is not a tackle, Davenport won't ever be elite.

Trent Brown too expensive for what he is, Kalil is broke, Howard is at least a year away.

Waste another Watt year, another Hopkins year, another Watson year?

Or do what needs to be done & start the season with 53 mfers who can & should play in this league?

:thinking:

Couldn't get Nate Solder. Rankin is not a tackle, Davenport won't ever be elite.

Trent Brown too expensive for what he is, Kalil is broke, Howard is at least a year away.

Or do what needs to be done & start the season with 53 mfers who can & should play in this league?

:spit: Trent Brown is to expensive? I thought so too after seeing what he was going to get.

In hind sight now, I'd kill for that deal! He'd be good enough, and you'd likely be able to add other guys next season and you'd probably be able to get out of his contract in two or three years tops while other players develop.

Instead we have a guy now who holds all the leverage with no playoff experience like Brown has (SB winner), and we're out of 3 valuable draft picks. Paying Brown would have been 100 times better than doing this regardless if Tunsil is a little bit better. You'd also have Brown as a potential guy you could trade down the line if you got younger replacements. We are never trading Tunsil no matter what he does after what we just invested. He has the best situation currently in the entire NFL.

I think it's clear Coach O'Brien doesn't view Howard as a franchise LT today. Which is understandable. & with the acquisition of Tunsil he may never get that opportunity.

But if something happens to Tunsil we may not be up shtcreek. We may also not be too concerned with extending Tunsil when the time comes depending on Howard's development.

That would be fine if Bob hadn’t given up 2020 first and 2021 first round picks for peace of mind.

Point is this, they didn’t plan for the future and now have over pay so much that it will wind up defeating the purpose. For starters they’ll have to make Tunsil the highest paid LT in the NFL. Then make Watson the highest paid QB in the NFL. No wonder that traded Clowney for a gift that keeps on giving:chili:

Point is this, they didn’t plan for the future and now have over pay so much that it will wind up defeating the purpose.

I can see them sitting in a room after coming to the realization that their offseason plan was screwed & decided they need to do things differently in the future.

Then they had to decide if the future starts now, or after the season at hand.

I'm just glad that I'm most likely going to enjoy following the team from Sept to Feb. I'll most likely be upset in March & April. But I refuse to get upset about it now.

I'm so happy they didn't decide to do the best they could with what they had like they did in 2017 & 2018 and still btched in March & April.

I can see them sitting in a room after coming to the realization that their offseason plan was screwed & decided they need to do things differently in the future.

I'm just glad that I'm most likely going to enjoy following the team from Sept to Feb. I'll most likely be upset in March & April. But I refuse to get upset about it now.

I'm so happy they didn't decide to do the best they could with what they had like they did in 2017 & 2018 and still btched in March & April.

They have a punchers chance this year , so yay we have a chance to be great . Fvck two years from now . The Texans have two players from the 2013 draft , 2014 draft , and 2015 draft combined . If the Texans have to way over pay for a LT so be it cause he's here and hoping for one is obsolete .

:spit: Trent Brown is to expensive? I thought so too after seeing what he was going to get.

In hind sight now, I'd kill for that deal! He'd be good enough, and you'd likely be able to add other guys next season and you'd probably be able to get out of his contract in two or three years tops while other players develop.

Instead we have a guy now who holds all the leverage with no playoff experience like Brown has (SB winner), and we're out of 3 valuable draft picks. Paying Brown would have been 100 times better than doing this regardless if Tunsil is a little bit better. You'd also have Brown as a potential guy you could trade down the line if you got younger replacements. We are never trading Tunsil no matter what he does after what we just invested. He has the best situation currently in the entire NFL.

Agree Trent Brown would have been a better option.

But there is a reason we can’t get OT from New England. Tried twice and failed. (Soldier).

I blame OB.

However you are playing a game of ifs and buts. There were better ways, but they may have never been on the table. Those guys may not have wanted to come here.

So we had to force a trade to get someone. Paid way too much for the acquisition. Will pay a lot to resign.

This goes back to Rick Smith and not trying to resign Duane Brown and I blame him as much as OB.

That would have been the best option you are overlooking.

Gold

That’s your decision. I’m fine with it if that’s how you feel. I cannot. Support a team that doesn’t understand what’s going on in society and repeatedly makes the same mistakes with peoples/employees livelihoods. Really become obvious after Mr. McNairs comments about inmates running the asylum and departure of a true great Texan LT Duane Brown. Well guess what, in case you haven’t noticed, the inmates are running the prison when they feel wronged and treated unfairly. I don’t blame them one bit. So until ownership changes I’m no longer supporting this Texan franchise, despite all the great players and people they have playing for them.

That’s my decision.

GMs worry about the future, not coaches. When you see coaches getting fired after 1 yr, you cant worry about present day 20 yr old kids. Where is Luke Joeckel? Where is Greg Robinson? All those claiming about picking Dillard, we don't know what Dillard will be.

Competent LTs that you can win with are hard to find.

For bad teams.

Good teams seem to be able to find adequate Lineman. They may have a down period but they don’t progressively get worse in the area until they are forced to give up two first rd picks and a second as a Hail Mary.

What’s hard to find is a franchise/coaching staff that will have their team as one of the better teams year in and year out excuses be damned.

OB needs to do one of two things. Win or look damn good losing.

It will be interesting to see how tunsil plays with only few days in system.

If I’m the saints I run all kinds of games on them up front. These guys haven’t played together much or at all and I find it highly unlikely they’ll be able to communicate and get their assignments picked up with no hitches.

His pass protection is more than his, his run blocking less. Let's hope obrien realizes it's a passing league now

After seeing Davenport I can live with this. Plus Tunsil is only 25 yrs old he should become a better run blocker as he gets older. Last yr was his 1st at LT and dare I say Tunsil had a better 1st yr than DB did his 1st yr.

GMs worry about the future, not coaches. When you see coaches getting fired after 1 yr, you cant worry about present day 20 yr old kids. Where is Luke Joeckel? Where is Greg Robinson? All those claiming about picking Dillard, we don't know what Dillard will be.

Where is Duane Brown without coaching, an over reached 2nd round pick that didn't reach his potential? Kubiak put old man Wade Smith on one leg into the ProBowl and gave arguably the worst lineman in the draft Eric Winston a positive career ... could he have not turned Joeckel or Robinson into players? We know what Dillard will be ... in Philly. We also know know that we spent two firsts and a second on a player that no matter how great he could be, we don't have the tools to make him what he could be.

Our gm, coach, coach, scout, and coach are the same person ... so the argument goes sideways from the beginning.

After seeing Davenport I can live with this. Plus Tunsil is only 25 yrs old he should become a better run blocker as he gets older. Last yr was his 1st at LT and dare I say Tunsil had a better 1st yr than DB did his 1st yr.
So Tunsil still needs coaching up??
Anyone have Alex Gibbs' phone number?

So Tunsil still needs coaching up??
Anyone have Alex Gibbs' phone number?

Lol

It's more about growing into his body.

I'm just glad you can leave Tunsil on an.island and Watson doesn't have to worry about getting killed. This should allow the offense to be really opened up, instead of constantly having to scheme around Davenports limitations.

Where is Duane Brown without coaching, an over reached 2nd round pick that didn't reach his potential? Kubiak put old man Wade Smith on one leg into the ProBowl and gave arguably the worst lineman in the draft Eric Winston a positive career ... could he have not turned Joeckel or Robinson into players? We know what Dillard will be ... in Philly. We also know know that we spent two firsts and a second on a player that no matter how great he could be, we don't have the tools to make him what he could be.

Our gm, coach, coach, scout, and coach are the same person ... so the argument goes sideways from the beginning.

You mean Alex Gibbs right?

BTW, I would love to see Gibbs work with Tunsil or Dillard. I will bet you Tunsil would turn into a better player than DB did. He probably will anyways despite Devlin.

Lol

It's more about growing into his body.

I'm just glad you can leave Tunsil on an.island and Watson doesn't have to worry about getting killed. This should allow the offense to be really opened up, instead of constantly having to scheme around Davenports limitations.
You call long developing pass plays scheming around a bad LT?

This!

So much to watch starting game 1...Johnson, Tunsil, Hyde, etc...let alone all our returning players. Absolutely optimistic about the start of the season. Koolaid's a flowing and I'm a drinking it up!!!

You mean Alex Gibbs right?

BTW, I would love to see Gibbs work with Tunsil or Dillard. I will bet you Tunsil would turn into a better player than DB did. He probably will anyways despite Devlin.

1 - Unlikely, unless Gibbs does actually come back (and did you mean Howard ... the first round LT we spent two more first picks to replace?). DB was a monster in every possible aspects thanks to years of great coaching.
2 - Gibbs had a total of two years here, everything before/during/after was Kubiak who knew how to coach his linemen (thanks to previous work with Gibbs/Shanahan/Walsh/etc).
3 - You're (as always) talking out of both sides ... coaching or in spite of coaching. And supporting that coaching, or lack there of? Is he finally THE talent or being put into an impossible situation thanks to lack of talent elsewhere. I've never shied away from standing with you (or even being more aggressive) on the grounds of offensive linemen, but there's a quote in Tropic Thunder for times like this. We went full.

1 - Unlikely, unless Gibbs does actually come back (and did you mean Howard ... the first round LT we spent two more first picks to replace?). DB was a monster in every possible aspects thanks to years of great coaching.
2 - Gibbs had a total of two years here, everything before/during/after was Kubiak who knew how to coach his linemen (thanks to previous work with Gibbs/Shanahan/Walsh/etc).
3 - You're (as always) talking out of both sides ... coaching or in spite of coaching. And supporting that coaching, or lack there of? Is he finally THE talent or being put into an impossible situation thanks to lack of talent elsewhere. I've never shied away from standing with you (or even being more aggressive) on the grounds of offensive linemen, but there's a quote in Tropic Thunder for times like this. We went full.

There's a weird thing ever since O'Brien was hired where apparently the head coach is not responsible for anything. No wonder everyone around O'Brien gets fired but he never does.

Have you looked at the schedule? They could very well be 0-6 in 6 weeks. OB needs to start looking like an Idiot Savant instead of just an idiot.

You really think with Watson they're going to start 0-6? I could see 3-3 or 2-4 though and the same posters calling for BOB's head.

There's a weird thing ever since O'Brien was hired where apparently the head coach is not responsible for anything. No wonder everyone around O'Brien gets fired but he never does.

Untill 2 years ago he coached the players he was given. He's done an ok job considering how dysfunctional the org really was

Untill 2 years ago he coached the players he was given. He's done an ok job considering how dysfunctional the org really was

Bob died, Rick left for family and O'B has run everyone else out of the building. He inherited everything he needed from a player standpoint and brought coaches throughout the Patriot and Penn St organizations that had worked with him. Dude has complete control of the organization, and has for years ... there are just a hand full of folks that haven't realized it (hi). Much like the great move of Stephen taking Zach Martin instead of Manziel, Rick Smith had the 'shut up' moment to take Watson as his guy - the only non/Kubiak player keeping the franchise alive. Sure he wasn't good enough to beat out Savage as the opening day starter, but otherwise it really must eat you up.

Sure he wasn't good enough to beat out Savage as the opening day starter, ..
That's because OB falls in love with Hoyer/Fitz type qb's. lol
Plus, I think he has that rule where he doesn't like to start rookies.

Back