Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

I don’t know why you’re salty? Because your idiot head coach just mortgaged your future paying a King’s ransom for Tunsil. Such an idiot he did it without a long term deal in place so it might just be a two year rental; that’s the kicker LOL

Why am I happy? For once we weren’t the idiots in a deal getting fleeced. You guys were, not once but twice today. We’re in a very good position going forward. I’m thrilled about the moves we made this offseason; not only today but a lot of solid moves which are definitely not the norm for my team

I believe that if anyone on this site were interested in the Fins they would go to the Fins website to read about it.

Your actions here are becoming more juvenile with each post. Young is no excuse for boorish behaviour.

:coffee:

Mercilus while not as good as Clowney is no slouch. Look at what he did a cople of yrs ago when he took Clowney's place and they moved Clowney to Watt's spot. I think if he can stay healthy Mercilus will get 10 plus sacks next yr. I also think Martin has potential.
You seem to be fairly positive and even upbeat about the Texans moves yesterday ?

Nope, the starters should be Tunsil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson. Henderson is the weakest but he is replaceable. It will take 4 or 5 games for them to jell like it took the Colts OL. i think the OL will be good by the 2nd half of the yr and I cant wait to see a well protected Watson operate. The only thing I regret is not drafting Watson in my FF league.
I certainly hope they are now thinking Howard as their RT on a long-term basis but he's fine at guard for 2019.

So 8m order for me to finally see great oline play . I have to wait a entire year. So basically the excuse for this season will be , we have to give them a year huh. Watson getting beat up again is to be expected. So ok let's wait another year for the chemistry and cohesiveness to kick in.

Man bump that noise. This is a do or die situation for Obrien and mainly Delvin. They have to produce or either both are out of here or just Delvin.

Them jokers have a week to get it together. They can not start off 0-3. No freaking way.
Looking at the schedule, the Texans could end up starting 0-6 or worse. It's a Murderer's Row they face to start the season.

I certainly hope they are now thinking Howard as their RT on a long-term basis but he's fine at guard for 2019.
If Henderson can play LT, I'd like to see how Roderick Johnson looks at RT and keep Howard on the left side, using Henderson as the swing tackle. If not, then I'd keep Henderson as RT and use Johnson as the swing tackle. IMO, Scharping would make a better RT than Howard.

Yep,

These doom and gloom people make me LOL.

BOB tried to make moves that would not only protect Watson, but lay the foundation for a true contender in the next 2-3 yrs. They gotta stay healthy, but the foundation has been laid for a SB run in the next few yrs. This trade reminds me of when Bum traded for his LT Leon Gray, there were a lot of the same reactions then as there are now and we know how loved the Luv Ya Blue teams were. Only thing that kept them from winning a SB was a stacked HOF Steelers team.

Clear O’Brian doesn’t view Howard as a franchise LT.

I think it's clear Coach O'Brien doesn't view Howard as a franchise LT today. Which is understandable. & with the acquisition of Tunsil he may never get that opportunity.

But if something happens to Tunsil we may not be up shtcreek. We may also not be too concerned with extending Tunsil when the time comes depending on Howard's development.

You seem to be fairly positive and even upbeat about the Texans moves yesterday ?

I am, I wish they would've held on to Clowney. They could have, they had the cap room but I understand why they didn't. I'm really glad they finally invested in the OL both in the draft and trade. This is what I've been calling for, for the last 3 yrs.

BTW, Stills is a very underrated pickup. Major upgrade over Vyncient Smith and he's great WFV/Coutee depth.

No question the offense got better but the other side of the LOS not so much.

Off the Clowney trade maybe not. But the offseason started in March. Since then we've acquired the best depth this team has ever had at the safety position. We've added two full size CBs with NFL speed. With Clowney out of the way we'll be able to put a pure pass rusher (Mercilus) in that pass rusher position & we added a high upside situational pure pass rusher (Martin) to the rotation (pretty much replaced Ejiofor).

The defense we field in 2019 will be better than the defense we fielded in 2018.

No we don't know what's going to happen. But that sure doesn't stop you from telling us all what will. SMH

I'm giving an opinion, just like you are, do you want to have a discussion or not.

I'm good with moving on if these are the type of responses I'm going to get.

Maybe you woke up in a bad mood this morning? SMH

I'm giving an opinion, just like you are, do you want to have a discussion or not.

I'm good with moving on if these are the type of responses I'm going to get.

Maybe you woke up in a bad mood this morning? SMH

And I’m giving my opinion. What’s your point? You’re the one throwing out the SMH.

And I’m in a great mood, not that it’s any of your damn business.

You want to have a conversation, that’s fine. Try not being condescending when doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not confident in OB/Devlin's ability to put the best 5 on the field or to properly coach them. I believe the OL will be better simply because the talent is better and will compensate for poor scheme/coaching just like Watson does at QB.

Fair enough, I worry about this too.

We will finally find out how good the coaching is and if Devlin can actually coach up good young talent.

So 8m order for me to finally see great oline play . I have to wait a entire year. So basically the excuse for this season will be , we have to give them a year huh. Watson getting beat up again is to be expected. So ok let's wait another year for the chemistry and cohesiveness to kick in.

Man bump that noise. This is a do or die situation for Obrien and mainly Delvin. They have to produce or either both are out of here or just Delvin.

Them jokers have a week to get it together. They can not start off 0-3. No freaking way.

Nope,

I expect above avg OL play by week 6.

I expect better OL play than they had last yr by week 1.

I am, I wish they would've held on to Clowney. They could have, they had the cap room but I understand why they didn't. I'm really glad they finally invested in the OL both in the draft and trade. This is what I've been calling for, for the last 3 yrs.

BTW, Stills is a very underrated pickup. Major upgrade over Vyncient Smith and he's great WFV/Coutee depth.
Yes you have indeed been banging the table for some real upgrading of the Oline and they'e finally got it done, took 'em awhile.
On the big trade at first I thought noway multiple first rounds pick s for a non-QB player but did some checking and realized it's happened before.
5 years ago the Falcons used two first rounders for WR Julio Jones and last year the Saints also used two first round picks on edge rusher Marcus Davenport.
And both of those guys were college players though Julio Jones was considered an elite prospect. So the move the Texans made for Tunsil I'm now
fully on Board. Gots to pay the money to get what we want and need.

Off the Clowney trade maybe not. But the offseason started in March. Since then we've acquired the best depth this team has ever had at the safety position. We've added two full size CBs with NFL speed. With Clowney out of the way we'll be able to put a pure pass rusher (Mercilus) in that pass rusher position & we added a high upside situational pure pass rusher (Martin) to the rotation (pretty much replaced Ejiofor).

The defense we field in 2019 will be better than the defense we fielded in 2018.
Another optimistic Texans fan. Alright !

Late firsts? So they are getting to the second round of the playoffs?
yes We've been saying this from the beginning that all Watson needs is a decent Oline and he will have MVP numbers.
Henderson has been serviceable at RT
Fulton is above average to good at RG
Nick Martin is at least Average at C although with a new left tackle should be better
Howard has the potential to be a good RG but we will not know until real games start
Tunsil is a really good not great LT
That line is light years better then the Garbage the Texans put on the field last year.
My biggest concern is Mike Devlin the coach. I'm not sure he knows how to get the best out of the line.
The team is better today then it was yesterday
With Mercilus, Clowney, and Watt the Texans had too many pass rushers and not enough true line backers.
They redistributed the wealth and now some of that talent is on the offensive side of the ball.
Mercilus has shown when CLowney was out he can be a heck of a pass rusher
Sometimes you have to put all your chips on the table and take a shot.
The Texans did that. SIt back and enjoy the ride instead of trying tear down everything the team does
Worst case in a few years we 4 - 12 because we don't the picks and our team gets old.
Well that happened before with the picks so a least this time we have a team with a fighting chance right now.

That's just crazy talk. Talent for talent, position by position we're right there with them. They simply got it all this year. We've had most of ours for a minute. Mostly through the draft.
The Texans will have a better record then the Browns I guarantee. Watson is a much better QB THe Mayfield. Watch what happens to the Browns as expectations start to take a toll. When Odell does not get the ball enough. When Mayfield decides to tell Odell whos the boss. It will hit the Fan and Kitchens will have no idea how to handle a team. The Browns will implode this year. GIve it two years and they will start to play well. The NFL is not an overnight league.

yes We've been saying this from the beginning that all Watson needs is a decent Oline and he will have MVP numbers.
Henderson has been serviceable at RT
Fulton is above average to good at RG
Nick Martin is at least Average at C although with a new left tackle should be better
Howard has the potential to be a good RG but we will not know until real games start
Tunsil is a really good not great LT
That line is light years better then the Garbage the Texans put on the field last year.
My biggest concern is Mike Devlin the coach. I'm not sure he knows how to get the best out of the line.
The team is better today then it was yesterday
With Mercilus, Clowney, and Watt the Texans had too many pass rushers and not enough true line backers.
They redistributed the wealth and now some of that talent is on the offensive side of the ball.
Mercilus has shown when CLowney was out he can be a heck of a pass rusher
Sometimes you have to put all your chips on the table and take a shot.
The Texans did that. SIt back and enjoy the ride instead of trying tear down everything the team does
Worst case in a few years we 4 - 12 because we don't the picks and our team gets old.
Well that happened before with the picks so a least this time we have a team with a fighting chance right now.

You forgot about Scharping, I think he will be the starting RG at some point this yr after Martin gets hurt again.

With the improved OL and Watson/Hopkins I dont see them falling to 4-12. Has Watson ever lead a team for a full season that's finished 4-12?

It only took Gaine/BOB 2 offseasons to clean up the mess that was left for them.

I don’t know why you’re salty? Because your idiot head coach just mortgaged your future paying a King’s ransom for Tunsil. Such an idiot he did it without a long term deal in place so it might just be a two year rental; that’s the kicker LOL

Why am I happy? For once we weren’t the idiots in a deal getting fleeced. You guys were, not once but twice today. We’re in a very good position going forward. I’m thrilled about the moves we made this offseason; not only today but a lot of solid moves which are definitely not the norm for my team

If you are a fan, then that means you have sat there and watched your team be incompetent for years. The Texans dealt away a player from a position of strength. Then went and got the best player available for a position of need. If your saying our team mortgage the future for current. Then your team just mortgage just mortgaged the current for the future. The Texans know they are going to get a good player You have no idea what you are going to get. I feel sorry for the people who have to pay to see the garbage the Dolphins are going to put on the field this year. But in two years after all the picks are made and the games are played, I think you will know the Texans won this trade.

Look how well Suck for Luck turned out and you guys want to suck for Tua

a095d17126d369b897e4fb7a99fda5a7.jpg

Look, Tunsil is the best o-lineman we've had since Brown. No question about that. How he got here is my problem. Howard may man LG for 10 years, but how he got here is the issue.

But all of that's done and they're here. Time to move on and focus on the season at hand.

The OL is certainly better than it was on January 5th. How much better is yet to be determined and I think that falls more on coaching, them positioning those players, more than the players themselves.

I think it's clear Coach O'Brien doesn't view Howard as a franchise LT today. Which is understandable. & with the acquisition of Tunsil he may never get that opportunity.

But if something happens to Tunsil we may not be up shtcreek. We may also not be too concerned with extending Tunsil when the time comes depending on Howard's development.

That would be fine if Bob hadn’t given up 2020 first and 2021 first round picks for peace of mind.

I’ll say this and I’m not ready to give BoB credit and damn sure not giving it to Devlin, but all off season BoB has talked like Kalil would be the starter and that he didn’t see any of the glaring holes. Then he’s willing to sell the farm to get a real answer at LT in a move that none of us saw coming.

I don’t know maybe he does have a clue what he is doing or at least can see a hole in the team when he falls into it chin first. Guess we will see.

I’ll say this and I’m not ready to give BoB credit and damn sure not giving it to Devlin, but all off season BoB has talked like Kalil would be the starter and that he didn’t see any of the glaring holes. Then he’s willing to sell the farm to get a real answer at LT in a move that none of us saw coming.

I don’t know maybe he does have a clue what he is doing or at least can see a hole in the team when he falls into it chin first. Guess we will see.
In my opinion we're looking at two different Bill O'Briens at two different times of the offseason. I think he was really hoping that Khalil would be healthy and step up. When it became obvious he would not, head coach decided to 1 not embarrass him and two hold him available for any possible offers. When it became a bit more clear that Clowney was not going to sign the LTD offered , O'Brien considered trades & that puzzles me. As close-mouthed as Bill O'Brien is on sharing information did he originated the leaks either himself or through one of his staff? I just need to let this go and move on .

Nope,

I expect above avg OL play by week 6.

I expect better OL play than they had last yr by week 1.

Which could very well lead us to a 0-6 record or 1-5. If that happens, we can say bye bye to Bill O'brien and Delvin.

We don't have that type of time. Things needs to click right away. Which could very well happen as well. Especially with a great bed of health on our side. And watch the creativity by Obrien with the plethora of weapons at his disposal. Will Fuller being the key.

Look, Tunsil is the best o-lineman we've had since Brown. No question about that. How he got here is my problem. Howard may man LG for 10 years, but how he got here is the issue.

But all of that's done and they're here. Time to move on and focus on the season at hand.

The OL is certainly better than it was on January 5th. How much better is yet to be determined and I think that falls more on coaching, them positioning those players, more than the players themselves.

The question at hand is COACHING.

Which could very well lead us to a 0-6 record or 1-5. If that happens, we can say bye bye to Bill O'brien and Delvin.

We don't have that type of time. Things needs to click right away. Which could very well happen as well. Especially with a great bed of health on our side. And watch the creativity by Obrien with the plethora of weapons at his disposal. Will Fuller being the key.

Needs a couple seasons to gel.

We are in year 1 of a 3 year gelling process.

At about the 1:25 mark Tunsil makes the block that Davenport couldn’t make in the pre season.

Just watched it and great point. But this defender didn't take a straight v-line down the line of scrimmage like 96 for Dallas. Big difference imo. Plus the entire wasn't shifting to the right either.

You really think with Watson they're going to start out 0-6?

Exactly my feelings! I also think people on here underappreciate stills - with our injury prone receivers he will be a hug help - and even with everyone healthy he really improves our er and gives us another wrinkle.
Sorry my mind just goes here: with our injury-prone receivers he will need to be more help than just a hug. Also he really improves our emergency room?

You really think with Watson they're going to start out 0-6?

We started 0-3 last season. So going 0-6 or 1-5 is not farfetched. Especially with our tough schedule

And did you not read my entire comment. Or you just focused on the record part

Last edited:
Just watched it and great point. But this defender didn't take a straight v-line down the line of scrimmage like 96 for Dallas. Big difference imo. Plus the entire wasn't shifting to the right either.

Disagree with the difference. It was a zone. The lineman got a little inside of Tunsil and the rb cut it back accordingly.

Davenport didn’t get a body on his guy. Tunsil was one of the first out of his stance, Davenport was the absolute last which made it look like the defender did something out of the ordinary, IMO.

Even though the OL may struggle a bit we can still win early. Every team is going through something this early in the season.

Last edited:
If my count is correct:

2020:
2nd, 3d (from Seahawks), two 4th, a 5th, 6th and 7th (plus comp-picks, probably at least one more third for Mattieu)
2021:
3d, 4th, 5th, 2 6th, 7th

Next years draft should be ok, 2021 could be ugly without a pick in the first two rounds...
Can you or someone validate this with link(s)? I know we gave up 1st in 2020 and 2021 but assumed the second was also in 2020? Why do you think it is in 2021? I really hope that is correct as is a huge difference than what I thought. We probably lose our third round comp for Duke unless we cut/trade and then lose a 4th. As you say that leaves us with Seattle's third and our own third. Thanks!

Back