Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

Can you or someone validate this with link(s)? I know we gave up 1st in 2020 and 2021 but assumed the second was also in 2020? Why do you think it is in 2021? I really hope that is correct as is a huge difference than what I thought. We probably lose our third round comp for Duke unless we cut/trade and then lose a 4th. As you say that leaves us with Seattle's third and our own third. Thanks!

We acquired Duke in a trade. It doesn't affect compensatory pick considerations.

If my count is correct:

2020:
2nd, 3d (from Seahawks), two 4th, a 5th, 6th and 7th (plus comp-picks, probably at least one more third for Mattieu)
2021:
3d, 4th, 5th, 2 6th, 7th

Next years draft should be ok, 2021 could be ugly without a pick in the first two rounds...
Can you or someone validate this with link(s)? I know we gave up 1st in 2020 and 2021 but assumed the second was also in 2020? Why do you think it is in 2021? I really hope that is correct as is a huge difference than what I thought. We probably lose our third round comp for Duke unless we cut/trade and then lose a 4th. As you say that leaves us with Seattle's third and our own third. Thanks!
We acquired Duke in a trade. It doesn't affect compensatory pick considerations.
No, I meant the third we gave up hopefully will be only our comp. I could be wrong.

They wlli get the Mathieu comp pick and the Seahawks 3rd in addition to the rest of their picks. Roby/KJax cancel each other out.

I think it's clear Coach O'Brien doesn't view Howard as a franchise LT today. Which is understandable. & with the acquisition of Tunsil he may never get that opportunity.

But if something happens to Tunsil we may not be up shtcreek. We may also not be too concerned with extending Tunsil when the time comes depending on Howard's development.
I would say the Texans will make extending Tunsil one of their top priorities no matter how great Howard turns out to be,

They wlli get the Mathieu comp pick and the Seahawks 3rd in addition to the rest of their picks. Roby/KJax cancel each other out.
So we gave our own which makes since but right after trade for Duke I read it would end up being comp pick if we get one which should be for Badger.

Guys I am taking a bit different view of our future OLine. I know Roderick Johnson looked rough other than that first game but I see him as the LT to train behind Tunsil. Leave Howard at LG even if we start Kelemete until he is hurt. LT Tunsil/Johnson LG Kele/Howard Center Fulton/Martin RG Scharping (if he can't handle it yet move Fulton over) RT Henderson. I'm hoping Seantrel can remain healthier this season. Will be full year on ankle and IIRC no issues noted on Crohns dx other than the cysts removed. I feel better having Scharping to slide to RT if needed. I don't want Howard playing elsewhere.

So we gave our own which makes since but right after trade for Duke I read it would end up being comp pick if we get one which should be for Badger.

I thought it said they traded their 4th that could become a 3rd depending on playing time and production. They have the Mathieu comp pick in their back pocket.

I may have gotten this wrong, this along with the cap isn't my strong suit.

I would say the Texans will make extending Tunsil one of their top priorities no matter how great Howard turns out to be,
Yes but we have at least one year which IMO we would not have if we traded for TWilliams who would have demanded money now. Man, is anyone concerned Tunsil will see Texans over a barrel and demand huge contract now he is with Houston? No one has mentioned that possibility.

Yes but we have at least one year which IMO we would not have if we traded for TWilliams who would have demanded money now. Man, is anyone concerned Tunsil will see Texans over a barrel and demand huge contract now he is with Houston? No one has mentioned that possibility.

He should be kiss'n our arses for getting him out of Miami.

Guys I am taking a bit different view of our future OLine. I know Roderick Johnson looked rough other than that first game but I see him as the LT to train behind Tunsil. Leave Howard at LG even if we start Kelemete until he is hurt. LT Tunsil/Johnson LG Kele/Howard Center Fulton/Martin RG Scharping (if he can't handle it yet move Fulton over) RT Henderson. I'm hoping Seantrel can remain healthier this season. Will be full year on ankle and IIRC no issues noted on Crohns dx other than the cysts removed. I feel better having Scharping to slide to RT if needed. I don't want Howard playing elsewhere.

Kelemete has played RT and I think RJ is going to be the swing OT

Gotta pay to be a contender

No, I meant the third we gave up hopefully will be only our comp. I could be wrong.

Texans will have 3 - 3rd round picks in 2020.

I thought it said they traded their 4th that could become a 3rd depending on playing time and production. They have the Mathieu comp pick in their back pocket.

I may have gotten this wrong, this along with the cap isn't my strong suit.
Yes that was part of what I read and analyst thought if it became a third it would be the comp. Unless Duke is heroic, I'm thinking cut/trade about half way thru season as a third would be used better elsewhere especially if Howell and Hyde explode. Carlos needs to look at this as his only ticket to remain in NFL & return to at least his 2017 stats of 3.9 avg and 5 TD.

Yes that was part of what I read and analyst thought if it became a third it would be the comp. Unless Duke is heroic, I'm thinking cut/trade about half way thru season as a third would be used better elsewhere especially if Howell and Hyde explode. Carlos needs to look at this as his only ticket to remain in NFL & return to at least his 2017 stats of 3.9 avg and 5 TD.

I don’t think they are cutting or trading duke midway through the season.

I don’t think they are cutting or trading duke midway through the season.
Perhaps but he will have to be a prize RB to equal the third round that all were complaining is too much for him. I'm thinking we can get a better back in later rounds and use our third for another position. He also turns 26 in three weeks.

Perhaps but he will have to be a prize RB to equal the third round that all were complaining is too much for him. I'm thinking we can get a better back in later rounds and use our third for another position. He also turns 26 in three weeks.

Haven't done it in 10 years, but yeah. Next year will be different.

A really good 3rd down rb is worth a 3rd for me. I'm thinking they may even need to pick up another rb at some point

Right now everybody is pissed because of Clowney and I get that.

The Clowney trade was a salary dump so that the Dolphins trade could happen.

Lets hope he plays lights out and wants to be compensated. I am all in for that,

:coffee:

They have only gone into moneyball rebuilding for 3-4 years and are now considered a good team.

Before then they were run by bill OBrien types wasting picks and assets
What about the other 20 yrs? They have 2 of the highest paid wr in the nfl. They have a good core, but they've been to the playoffs once since 1999.

What about the other 20 yrs? They have 2 of the highest paid wr in the nfl. They have a good core, but they've been to the playoffs once since 1999.

What about them? They only started being smart with draft picks a few years ago. Texans are going to be the Browns for 20 years until they finally get a smart front office that rebuilds by accumulating picks.

They have only gone into moneyball rebuilding for 3-4 years and are now considered a good team.

Before then they were run by bill OBrien types wasting picks and assets
What about them? They only started being smart with draft picks a few years ago. Texans are going to be the Browns for 20 years until they finally get a smart front office that rebuilds by accumulating picks.
So didn't they trade a 1st rd pick for an injured WR?

You lost me.

They are on a budget and need to re-up Watson Tunsil, Watt. Gotta make room for 3 big contracts and they valued these guys.ore than they did Clowney.

Personally, I would've held onto Clowney and traded for Tunsil. Then tried to trade Clowney next offseason. They had the cap space. Or just taken the comp pick since they only got a 3rf for him.

So didn't they trade a 1st rd pick for an injured WR?

Browns are favored to win their division at 5/4, a tougher one than the AFC south. Texans are 2/1 with the Jags for AFC south.

PFF analysis:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-breaking-texans-spend-big-in-trade-for-dolphins-laremy-tunsil

Tunsil, the No. 13 overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, ranks 21st among the 87 tackles with 400-plus pass-blocking snaps over the past two seasons in pass-blocking grade (79.8). In his three years in the NFL, Tunsil has yet to earn a single-season pass-blocking grade below 74.5.

Where Tunsil struggles is the run game. The 6-foot-5, 315-pounder ranks 50th in run-blocking grade (53.8) among the 64 NFL offensive tackles with 400-plus run-blocking snaps over the past two seasons. He’s also yet to earn a single-season run-blocking grade above 62.3 in his career.

Now entering his seventh season in the NFL, Stills is a 6-foot-1, 202-pound speedster that has yet to live up to the hype stemming from his 2014 season with the New Orleans Saints. Still earned career-high marks in receiving grade (77.7) and yards per route run (1.93) in 2014 and was traded to Miami in exchange for Dannell Ellerbe and a third-round pick the following offseason. Stills has since earned just a 66.6 receiving grade across his 2,081 routes run with Miami (2015-18), ranking 81st among the 109 wide receivers with at least 800 routes run in the four-year span. He also ranks 73rd in yards per route run (1.34) among the same group of qualifiers.

Stills is due $9.75M in 2019 and another $8.75M in 2020, per Over the Cap, but can be released without penalty following the 2019 season. Tunsil is on the books for $3.9M this upcoming season and carries his 2020 fifth-year option with him to Houston.

Losing Tunsil takes a Miami offensive line that entered the preseason as PFF’s lowest-ranked offensive line in the NFL to another level of bad. And the addition of Davenport is more of a problem than a solution at the position.

Brought in as a fourth-round pick out of Bucknell in 2017, Davenport earned a dismal 50.6 overall grade across 238 offensive snaps as a rookie and a 54.9 overall grade across 1,084 offensive snaps in Year 2 of his NFL career. Among the 75 offensive tackles with 800 or more offensive snaps played over the past two seasons, Davenport ranks 69th in overall grade (53.3), 68th in pass-blocking grade (56.1) and T-60th in run-blocking grade (53.3).

Bademosi, a Stanford product originally signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012, doesn’t offer much defensively, but he’s special teams ace. He’s played more 250 special teams snaps every year of his NFL career and has logged 56 combined special teams tackles in the process.

Of course, Miami didn’t make this trade to win now with Davenport and Bademosi. The Dolphins’ brass has their sights set on the future, one that should (in theory) be a bit brighter if the team can acquire premier talent with its bevy of draft picks in the coming years.

For what it’s worth Seth Payne Friday said he did an in depth look at Tunsil from our game against Miami last year. He said that Miami largely left Tunsil 1 on 1 with Clowney and he did well. He noted that Merci had 1 really good spin move on him but other than that, he held his own against both just fine.

For what it’s worth Seth Payne Friday said he did an in depth look at Tunsil from our game against Miami last year. He said that Miami largely left Tunsil 1 on 1 with Clowney and he did well. He noted that Merci had 1 really good spin move on him but other than that, he held his own against both just fine.

Seth Payne? That O'Brien nuthugger?

They are on a budget and need to re-up Watson Tunsil, Watt. Gotta make room for 3 big contracts and they valued these guys.ore than they did Clowney.

Personally, I would've held onto Clowney and traded for Tunsil. Then tried to trade Clowney next offseason. They had the cap space. Or just taken the comp pick since they only got a 3rf for him.
I would have been a lot happier too if they kept Clowney and made the trade for tunsil.

Reading the PFF eval on tunsil reminds me of Dillard's 2018. Now that we have him I am hoping he hits around 80% minimum on his pass protection as I don't see our run game being that significant this year. With that kind of a rating Watson could be lights out. Tunsil may not be good enough to take some pressure off of Howard when he plays left guard but the duo should be much better than last season. I still cannot figure out why Kele is on the roster. Cap space iirc 2.75 million

Reading the PFF eval on tunsil reminds me of Dillard's 2018. Now that we have him I am hoping he hits around 80% minimum on his pass protection as I don't see our run game being that significant this year. With that kind of a rating Watson could be lights out. Tunsil may not be good enough to take some pressure off of Howard when he plays left guard but the duo should be much better than last season. I still cannot figure out why Kele is on the roster. Cap space iirc 2.75 million

If u mean Kalil, he’s just been released according to Espn’s Bottom line.

Look, Tunsil is the best o-lineman we've had since Brown. No question about that. How he got here is my problem. Howard may man LG for 10 years, but how he got here is the issue.

But all of that's done and they're here. Time to move on and focus on the season at hand.

The OL is certainly better than it was on January 5th. How much better is yet to be determined and I think that falls more on coaching, them positioning those players, more than the players themselves.
You are right Speedy. Time to move on and get this 2019 NFL season started for real. See what we got ?

Can't find a link, but just saw a snip of O'Brien's presser discussing Tunsil. A portion of what he said:

"It's very difficult to develop a LT. He (Tunsil) is a proven LT....he's a versatile player that can play multiple positions..."

WHAT???? Tunsil is a freakin' LT!!!! You know, the position that's difficult (for you) to develop. Who in the **** cares if Tunsil can play another position??? He's a freakin' LT!

This guy is going to make my head explode with the stupid **** that comes out of his trap.

Edit: Link to presser.

Last edited:
Can't find a link, but just saw a snip of O'Brien's presser discussing Tunsil. A portion of what he said:

"It's very difficult to develop a LT. He (Tunsil) is a proven LT....he's a versatile player that can play multiple positions..."

WHAT???? Tunsil is a freakin' LT!!!! You know, the position that's difficult (for you) to develop. Who in the **** cares if Tunsil can play another position??? He's a freakin' LT!

This guy is going to make my head explode with the stupid **** that comes out of his trap.

He can't develop an LT so he overpays for an LT the freaking MIAMI DOLPHINS developed.

Comical.

And the kicker is he still needs developing to reach elite status

He quickly corrected himself and said but he is playing LT here. But yeah, we did not trade all of that for a guard. Maybe he was going to make his point that Tunsil developed at guard his first year, but yeah, stupid, but he quickly corrected the dumb

Awww man here we go with this versatile bullcrap. Man I wish he would move away from that nonsense. Your starters should only be masters of their position. Backups should be versatile. Geeezzzz

And at least he has admitted one of his downfalls. Not being able to develop his linemen

Last edited:
Back