Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Texian

Hall of Fame
Exactly what has he done so far that's the Patriot Way?

We dont know what he will do in the draft really
The Patriot way is the only thing the File Clerk has ever known.

We've seen enough in the File Clerk's first Texans draft to be very afraid and SCARREEEDDD.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If they were drafted by the Patriots, that's the Patriots way. (Caserio traded for Cannon when he was going to be cut). What is also the Patriots way is Bob Kraft spending $159MM in FA to clean house and rectify and overhaul the roster the previous Director of Player Personnel (File Clerk) put in place. What is also the Patriots way is the GOAT, Tom Brady despite all of his previous successes' bails on the Patriots because the talent level has gotten so bad, they can't win.
You dont know that Cannon was going to be cut.

Yes, they finally had to spend $$$$ after they lost Brady. Look at that defense and tell me that adding Judon wasn't a good move? Pass rushers like Judon dont fall off of trees. They spent the money because they had a couple of specific needs at positions that cost money TE/Edge, Kudos to them and I hope that after Caserio builds the team back up through the draft he them spends the FA money that should be available in 2024. BTW, I also didn't know an Asst GM was a file clerk? What does that make Wolf?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Patriot way is the only thing the File Clerk has ever known.

We've seen enough in the File Clerk's first Texans draft to be very afraid and SCARREEEDDD.
You dont like the Collins/Jordan or Lopez picks? Mills may be the future at QB since he carved up the team that spent 159 mil in FA after Caserio left. Time will tell on that one.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If they were drafted by the Patriots, that's the Patriots way. (Caserio traded for Cannon when he was going to be cut).
Right. I can't remember when the Patriots ever did that. Their MO is to get those players when they are young & cheap, then move on before it's too late.

Bringing in players you are familiar with is how the league does it. That's why so many exTexans have ended up in Denver when Kubiak was there. Or Clowney got to Tennessee.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Josh McDaniels is very good at doing exactly what Bill Belichick wants him to do. If he wasn't that would be his exit strategy. I'm not naive enough to think Belichick has no say in the game plan or how he wants the Patriots to attack the opposing defenses. I'm not sure many have stubbed their toe as bad as McDaniels did in Denver. They couldn't get rid of him fast enough.
Yet, Belichick took him back the moment he was available. BB certainly could’ve found another OC (puppet) that he could’ve used to pull his offensive strings …..and at lot less money. He didn’t have to bring McDaniels back into the fold and not at the money he decided to pay him.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yet, Belichick took him back the moment he was available. BB certainly could’ve found another OC (puppet) that he would’ve use to pull the offensive strings …..and at lot less money. He didn’t have to bring McDaniels back into the fold.
But if you did things exactly the way I told you to do them, I would take you back too.

Texian

Hall of Fame
You dont know that Cannon was going to be cut.

Yes, they finally had to spend $$$$ after they lost Brady. Look at that defense and tell me that adding Judon wasn't a good move? Pass rushers like Judon dont fall off of trees. They spent the money because they had a couple of specific needs at positions that cost money TE/Edge, Kudos to them and I hope that after Caserio builds the team back up through the draft he them spends the FA money that should be available in 2024. BTW, I also didn't know an Asst GM was a file clerk? What does that make Wolf?
After signing Brown they weren't going to keep Cannon.

After signing a couple of TEs Ryan Izzo too was going to get cut before being traded to the File Clerk.

They didn't just sign Judon, they added a total of 23 players to their 2021 roster.

That would make Wolf a consultant, a consultant in whom Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick are well pleased.

How the New England Patriots spent $159.6 million over nine days to overhaul their roster (espn.com)

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

After signing a couple of TEs Ryan Izzo too was going to get cut before being traded to the File Clerk.

They didn't just sign Judon, they added a total of 23 players to their 2021 roster.

That would make Wolf a consultant, a consultant in whom Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick are well pleased.
Wolf was tasked with scouting the QBs in the last draft, including Fields, Wilson, and Jones.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Solid in most of the games? Really?

They've given up the 6th most points, 4th most yards, 2nd most rushing yards, and 2nd most 1st downs. Their only saving Grace is turnovers and the fact that the offense is that much worse and taking a lot of the heat off of them.

Yes , dude are you not watching these games? It’s a bend but don’t brake offense. So of course they’re going to give up a lot of yards. But like I said the offense routinely going three in out plays a big factor into that equation. In that second half the offense didn’t generate any freaking offense at all. A bunch of three and outs. So you can best believe any darn teams defense will be gassed and will give up a lot of yards.

Big picture

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yes , dude are you not watching these games? It’s a been but don’t brake offense. So of course they’re going to give up a lot of yards. But like I said the offense routinely going three in out plays a big factor into that equation. In that second half the offense didn’t generate any freaking offense at all. A bunch of three and outs. So you can best believe any darn teams defense will be gassed and will give up a lot of yards.

Big picture
Bend don't break? 6th most points allowed. There's plenty of break. And that's even with the ton of turnovers they're getting. Yes, the offense can put you in bad situations, but that doesn't get them off the hook. They can help themselves by getting off the field too, but aren't getting that done. And like I said, even with all the turnovers they've forced, they still give up a ton of points. Bend don't break my ass.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

How the New England Patriots spent $159.6 million over nine days to overhaul their roster (espn.com)
Have you ever wondered how that 159 mil was available and if Caserio was allowed to go on a spending spree like Belichick did this off-season. Could it be they were waiting on that QB class before investing like they did?

We aren't ever going to agree so I'm moving on.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Wolf was tasked with scouting the QBs in the last draft, including Fields, Wilson, and Jones.

It was a group project:

“The four men were discussing the pick before it was made, which is further proof that Ziegler, Groh and Wolf have played a big role within the operation this spring.”

This underscores the point of prior articles posted that Belicheck was going it alone more so in previous drafts and not listening to his advisors and scouts.

This is the more collaborative effort that Kraft and the sports writers were talking about, or how the prior drafts weren’t the best.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Have you ever wondered how that 159 mil was available and if Caserio was allowed to go on a spending spree like Belichick did this off-season. Could it be they were waiting on that QB class before investigating like they did?

We aren't ever going to agree so I'm moving on.
You're putting the cart before the horse here. They went on a spending spree weeks before the draft and they had no idea that Mac Jones would fall to them. They were prepared to sign Cam Newton to another 1-year contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're putting the cart before the horse here. They went on a spending spree weeks before the draft and they had no idea that Mac Jones would fall to them. They were prepared to sign Cam Newton to another 1-year contract.
They knew it was a QB draft and I will bet you they planned on drafting one, even if it meant trading up to get one. Newton was meant to be the starter until the young guy was ready. Luckily for BB he got lucky in that he got not only the best QB in the draft, he got the most pro ready QB in the draft. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good and BB has been both for such a long time that I'm beginning to think it's not luck.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Currently, the Texans are 32nd in scoring and 28th in points allowed. Before the season started, I thought those numbers would have been flipped. Not that it matters.
You were thinking the offense would be better than the defense? If so, that was a fair assumption. With Taylor, I wasn't expecting a downfield, big play offense. However, based on his reputation as an injury prone game manager who always takes the safe pass and doesn't turn the ball over, I was at least expecting the offense to be able to move the chains.

banned1976

sleeper mode
You were thinking the offense would be better than the defense? If so, that was a fair assumption. With Taylor, I wasn't expecting a downfield, big play offense. However, based on his reputation as an injury prone game manager who always takes the safe pass and doesn't turn the ball over, I was at least expecting the offense to be able to move the chains.
I thought Phillip Lindsay and Taylor were good acquisitions (I was way off on Lindsay). I expected the TE group would be adequate with Taylor looking to them more often than the last 5 or 6 QB starters. Even with all of those expectations, I figured they'd be somewhere around 28th in scoring. Certainly not last.

The defense is slightly better than I thought they would be. I attribute this to being better at creating turnovers.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Leading rushers for the Texans so far -

1) Mark Ingram: 294 (7 games played)
2) David Johnson: 176 (11 games played)
3) Tyrod Taylor: 136 (5 games played)

I started writing a hyphen symbol between the players last name and rushing total but when I got to Johnson's name, I changed the separator with a colon because I didn't want anyone to (justifiably) confuse it with a minus symbol.

Who do you think will surpass Ingram first for team leader in rushing? Or, will he be surpassed?

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I heard an interesting quote on 610 today. Wade Smith said, "He knows the destination that Caserio and Easterby wants to get to. He understands why Cal would be willing to ride to the destination with them". However, there are multiple ways to get to that destination and he's not sure Caserio and Easterby can get to that destination by simply following the route Belichick took without Belichick driving the bus.

Random thought and question for the day. For the past twenty years, other teams have studied the Patriots Way and none of them have been able to duplicate their success. All teams preach culture, leadership, dedication, hard work and teamwork. What do you think makes this version of the Texans different from all the teams that have tried over the past twenty years and will be successful? What gives you hope?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I thought Devlin was a huge problem. I thought adding two/three vets from true contenders would make a formidable offensive line. I thought adding Mark Ingram would be like the Colts adding Frank Gore. I thought Phillip Lindsay would add big play capability to take pressure off the QB & the passing game.

I thought with that OL & RB corps, Tyrod would be able to move the chains.

none of that came to be

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Random thought and question for the day. For the past twenty years, other teams have studied the Patriots Way and none of them have been able to duplicate their success
Random question of the day, who were the Patriots trying to emulate? They didn’t think all that up out of nowhere. They had their eye set on something/someone else. Things fell in line, including Brady, & they just rode the wave.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I heard an interesting quote on 610 today. Wade Smith said, "He knows the destination that Caserio and Easterby wants to get to. He understands why Cal would be willing to ride to the destination with them". However, there are multiple ways to get to that destination and he's not sure Caserio and Easterby can get to that destination by simply following the route Belichick took without Belichick driving the bus.

Random thought and question for the day. For the past twenty years, other teams have studied the Patriots Way and none of them have been able to duplicate their success. All teams preach culture, leadership, dedication, hard work and teamwork. What do you think makes this version of the Texans different from all the teams that have tried over the past twenty years and will be successful? What gives you hope?
Easterby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What could be wrong with Akins?

Jordan took his spot and has looked as good or better than Akins has ever looked and while Jordan isn't a great blocker he's much better than Akins. Plus he's cheaper and has more of a future with the Texans than Akins.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I thought Devlin was a huge problem. I thought adding two/three vets from true contenders would make a formidable offensive line. I thought adding Mark Ingram would be like the Colts adding Frank Gore. I thought Phillip Lindsay would add big play capability to take pressure off the QB & the passing game.

I thought with that OL & RB corps, Tyrod would be able to move the chains.

none of that came to be
Yeah, Lindsay was a big disappointment. That dude just offered nothing. Thought Lindsay would be RB1, with Ingram giving him a breather, but they made Ingram the feature back from the get go. He's not a RB1 anymore. Of course, none of it really matters since the OL seems to have gotten worse without Devlin being around. Never even thought that could be possible.

I don't particularly have all that much hope in the immediate future. No matter what "Way" you try to go with or duplicate, it comes down to talent evaluation and putting that talent in positions to succeed. If Belichick gets credit for anything, it's that he does do that, creates mismatches, gets out of his talent what they do best. Looks like he's still doing that even without the GOAT. I haven't seen anybody in Texansville do that in a very long time.

You've got to find football players, and then when you do, you've got to be able to know how to use them. I fear that this "culture" business the Texans seem to have at the top of their priorities, and by a big margin, will keep them from getting a lot of those football players. Never mind knowing how to use the talent. Not saying get team full of wife beaters, but if they're scratching guys just because they have a difference of opinion, it's gonna be hard to field a team with talented football players.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You want to know the destination they sold Cal?

The Super Bowl. Getting there by drafting well, proper salary cap management, all the while maintaining the proper players that subscribe to the winning culture. The secret sauce is everything Caserio and Easterby experienced under Belicheck and Brady. Only they can recreate it.

Cal ate it up because his dad did too.

The truth is that Brady and Belicheck is what happens when find a pot of gold that a unicorn **** out at the end of the rainbow while the magic leprechaun spies on opposing teams and deflates balls.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, Lindsay was a big disappointment. That dude just offered nothing. Thought Lindsay would be RB1, with Ingram giving him a breather, but they made Ingram the feature back from the get go. He's not a RB1 anymore. Of course, none of it really matters since the OL seems to have gotten worse without Devlin being around. Never even thought that could be possible.

I don't particularly have all that much hope in the immediate future. No matter what "Way" you try to go with or duplicate, it comes down to talent evaluation and putting that talent in positions to succeed. If Belichick gets credit for anything, it's that he does do that, creates mismatches, gets out of his talent what they do best. Looks like he's still doing that even without the GOAT. I haven't seen anybody in Texansville do that in a very long time.

You've got to find football players, and then when you do, you've got to be able to know how to use them. I fear that this "culture" business the Texans seem to have at the top of their priorities, and by a big margin, will keep them from getting a lot of those football players. Never mind knowing how to use the talent. Not saying get team full of wife beaters, but if they're scratching guys just because they have a difference of opinion, it's gonna be hard to field a team with talented football players.
Not hearing the Patriot Way is all Brady so much this year now that BB has found his next QB.

Agreed about the Texans and their choir boy image and not being able to win. BTW, That's not the Patriot Way. (Dillon/Gordon/Brown/J.C. Jackson etc....) Gotta draft the best athletes if you want to win.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You want to know the destination they sold Cal?

The Super Bowl. Getting there by drafting well, proper salary cap management, all the while maintaining the proper players that subscribe to the winning culture. The secret sauce is everything Caserio and Easterby experienced under Belicheck and Brady. Only they can recreate it.

Cal ate it up because his dad did too.

The truth is that Brady and Belicheck is what happens when find a pot of gold that a unicorn **** out at the end of the rainbow while the magic leprechaun spies on opposing teams and deflates balls.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Mac Jones in the playoffs for the next few yrs. If anybody can recreate the Belichick/Brady magic it's Belichick and Jones and no I'm not saying Jones is going to be a GOAT like Brady.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Jordan took his spot and has looked as good or better than Akins has ever looked and while Jordan isn't a great blocker he's much better than Akins. Plus he's cheaper and has more of a future with the Texans than Akins.
I disagree; besides the sample is too small; especially before Brevin got the nod.

The Texans still have to pay for Akins.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I disagree; besides the sample is too small; especially before Brevin got the nod.

The Texans still have to pay for Akins.
Of course you do.

Fact is they are taking a look at Jordan in this lost season and if he plays well, which so far he has. Then Jordan is the future. I believe this is Akins last yr under his rookie deal.

This is a case of Caserio drafting for the future and preparing to let Akins walk after the season. These are the kinds of things that previous GM's didn't do and one of the reasons there wasn't depth on the roster to be able to withstand injuries when the team was a true contender.

I'm glad that it seems like this is changing down on Kirby.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Of course you do.

Fact is they are taking a look at Jordan in this lost season and if he plays well, which so far he has. Then Jordan is the future. I believe this is Akins last yr under his rookie deal.

This is a case of Caserio drafting for the future and preparing to let Alone walk after the season. These are the kinds of things that previous GM's didn't do and one of the reasons there wasn't depth on the roster to be able to withstand injuries when the team was a true contender.

I'm glad that it seems like this is changing down on Kirby.
What about Pharaoh?
He's only on a one-year contract.
Akins was still the leading catcher at TE with the most snaps played until they decided to sit him.
What's the real reason?

Sounds more like "tanking without saying it out loud ".

What about Culley's statement "we put the best players out on the field"?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What about Pharaoh?
He's only on a one-year contract.
Akins was still the leading catcher at TE with the most snaps played until they decided to sit him.
What's the real reason?

Sounds more like "tanking without saying it out loud ".

What about Culley's statement "we put the best players out on the field"?
Pharaoh has been hurt most of the season and probably isn't 100 percent. So what do you want to know about Pharaoh and how does that relate to Akins.

BTW, who names their kid Pharaoh?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wade Smith said, "He knows the destination that Caserio and Easterby wants to get to. He understands why Cal would be willing to ride to the destination with them".
Who is the 'He' that Smith is talking about?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

The Kirby Clown Show is clearly putting the proverbial cart before the horse here.

They want to create "culture" as some kind of corporate mission statement.

But the only culture I've heard of in the NFL is a WINNING CULTURE, and the key aspect of creating it is, you guessed it, WINNING.

The inherent problem with chasing a shadow of Bill Belichick is you'll never have the man casting that shadow. So these fools are like dogs chasing parked cars.

Instead of finding a GM with vision that finds a head coach that shares that vision and can help fulfill it, they hire some never-was nice guy coach and an empty-suit Joel Osteen wannabe that spews empty platitudes and corporate speak. They regurgitate nonsense about some mythical "culture" without ever defining it. It's a snake eating its own tail.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Pharaoh has been hurt most of the season and probably isn't 100 percent. So what do you want to know about Pharaoh and how does that relate to Akins.

BTW, who names their kid Pharaoh?
My question is why not bench Pharaoh instead of Aikin?
What the reason might have been?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Because they like Pharaoh better. He's a better blocker and around TE.
How come Aikin got the most number of snaps before his benching?

Not to mention the most targets as well as the best catch percentage.

And where do you get the information on blocking from?

Texian

Hall of Fame

Simply put none of the admins, none of the file clerks, none of the coordinators are Bill Belichick. Belichick was a child prodigy who really learned his craft from his dad who was a career college coach. Belichick graduated with a degree in economics. Trying to recreate Bill Belichick is a fool's errand and fool's gold.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Pharaoh is the Y TE. Bigger in-line blocker type. Akins and Jordan fulfill the same role as a U or receiving TE.
That would be a great answer, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

I was rewatching just a little over a quarter of the Jags game and the TEs lined up everywhere.

In a one-TE set, I saw PB and JA lining up at the Y to block and to run route.

I saw PB flex to the outside, away from the box.

In a 2-TE set, I saw PB and JA taking turn to block and to run route.
They both flex to the outside together at times
They even had a 3-TE set (with Auclair) where all 3 lined up outside in the bunch (diamond) formation.