Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’ve never been one to cheer moral victories but honestly, I don’t foresee any “real” victories the rest of the year. And they may actually go winless in 2021. There’s going to be a major purge (or at least there should be) in the offseason which will bring about the growing pains (and lots of loses) that accompany a very young team. But I find that much more entertaining and hopeful than what’s going on now.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It is definitely stacked in the employers favor but speaking as a union steward for 20+ years in Texas that sat in on over 100 federal mediations I would say that close to 35% of the people that got fired got their job back & probably around 20% also got back pay.
I had even greater success as a business agent with terminations and suspensions. All our contracts provided a 4 step disciplinary procedure, verbal; written; suspension and finally termination. Usually a management person jumped the first two. Of course, there were stated reasons for immediate end of employment such as fighting, theft etc. Culture was not mentioned.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Who was a part of that cult?

I thought everybody around these parts were in agreement BOB should've been fired?
I'm not talking about fan cults - I'm talking the habit of the Texans ownership/leadership trying to give full authority (or the appearance of full authority) to one person - who at the moment appears to be Easterby and has in the past been the other names mentioned including BOB.

If we are talking fan cults - then I vote for the Cult of Fuzzy... follow me... you know you want to... all your friends are doing it... we have Taco Tuesday's...

banned1976

sleeper mode
I heard Urban Meyer this morning, it was a soundbite on 790, him talking about what makes a team bad:

Players not trusting the coaches
Coaches not trusting the players
Players not trusting each other, and
Selfish players.

I think the Texans have seen all of that this year. It was either Cobb or Cooks about a month ago after another loss talking about how some guys aren't putting the effort in in practices. There's the players not trusting each other. Very few players trusted BoB. Going for it on the 2 yard line yesterday instead of kicking the game tying FG in the 1st or 2nd quarter, that tells me RAC doesn't trust the defense, or maybe the kicker. And JJ, as much as I love the guy and his effort, he's always been pretty selfish, looking to find where he can be on the line to maximize his potential sack total.

When I hear the Texans mention "not a culture fit", are you kidding me?! What culture are you talking about? The selfish untrusting one?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans are just screwed up and horrid for 2020. No matter who they get as the new GM and HC I don't think things will improve dramatically enough in 2021 to make much of a change. In fact, it's highly possible things could actually be worse next year for the Texans.

Frankly I don't see much hope on the horizon for the Texans, they're like the bad reincarnation of the Oilers.

Maybe in about four or five years after a few drafts and (if we're lucky) a decent GM and HC will turn it around by then. Maybe. It's Houston, and we all know what that means.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I'm not talking about fan cults - I'm talking the habit of the Texans ownership/leadership trying to give full authority (or the appearance of full authority) to one person - who at the moment appears to be Easterby and has in the past been the other names mentioned including BOB.

If we are talking fan cults - then I vote for the Cult of Fuzzy... follow me... you know you want to... all your friends are doing it... we have Taco Tuesday's...
Throw in Fried fish Friday and I'm in.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There was a time when he wasn’t. That changed as he kept getting more of the same. Unfortunately things went from bad to worse & they continue to interject one bad decision after another.
Or maybe he was always a meddling owner starting with the first overall pick. He was told the best talent in the draft was Julius Peppers. I've heard that from multiple sources, including John McClain and Sean Jones (who was interviewed in 2001 to be a salary cap expert for the Texans).

But, McNair wanted a pretty dude for his marketing machine. I've got Texans merch before they even played a game that has David Carr's (...errr...HWSNBN) grinning mug on it. He never earned the starting QB gig. He was given it because he was drafted 1.1 and was immediately the "face of the franchise".

That's about as meddling as you can get.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Or maybe he was always a meddling owner starting with the first overall pick. He was told the best talent in the draft was Julius Peppers. I've heard that from multiple sources, including John McClain and Sean Jones (who was interviewed in 2001 to be a salary cap expert for the Texans).

But, McNair wanted a pretty dude for his marketing machine. I've got Texans merch before they even played a game that has David Carr's (...errr...HWSNBN) grinning mug on it. He never earned the starting QB gig. He was given it because he was drafted 1.1 and was immediately the "face of the franchise".

Agreed... but that's a lot of ifs

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Those aren't If's. They are facts.

I never disagreed with the philosophy of drafting a qb #1 to start. The thinking was after 2-3 years he'd be mature enough and the team around him might be talented enough to succeed.

Fail on both accounts because of scouting and coaching. Qb at #1 wasn't wrong. Carr at #1 was wrong. He never had the desire or moxy for it. Truth is, Tony Banks should've started every game year 1.

I know Obrien is a fresh wound for us and I wanted him gone years ago ,but Casserly has done more to destroy this franchise then anyone else still.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I never disagreed with the philosophy of drafting a qb #1 to start. The thinking was after 2-3 years he'd be mature enough and the team around him might be talented enough to succeed.

Fail on both accounts because of scouting and coaching. Qb at #1 wasn't wrong. Carr at #1 was wrong. He never had the desire or moxy for it. Truth is, Tony Banks should've started every game year 1.

I know Obrien is a fresh wound for us and I wanted him gone years ago ,but Casserly has done more to destroy this franchise then anyone else still.

Blaming Casserly for HWWNBM is kinda unfair when it was the PR machine that made the decision .... Yes , Carr was wrong but it was Bob who pulled that trigger..

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I check-in on ESPN's win rate stats every so often, to see if it matches up what we're actually seeing on the field.
  • Team Pass Rush Win Rate - 45% (13th in league)
  • Team Run Stop Win Rate - 31% (10th in league)
  • Team Pass Block Win Rate - 52% (23rd in league)
  • Team Run Block Win Rate - 72% (6th in league)
Looking at that, only Pass Block Win Rate makes some sense. For the other three, I'm like "What!? How are we that high in the rankings?" The Run Block Win Rate is the biggest head scratcher. Is our running backs simply that horrible? Or maybe it's the play design?

There's two things you can take away from this:
  1. This stat is horrible and useless.
  2. The talent on this team isn't as bad as we think.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Agreed... but that's a lot of ifs
Actually, I did not find a single "if" in my entire post. :fingergun:

Funny thing about history is that it is recorded and you can study it. I don't do future predictions, but I do analyze history to look for cycles and tendencies.

Carr was a football model that never had to earn the starting job. That's never been disputed.

He was also an albatross on Kubiak's first year as HC because the owner made it a condition of employment. More of that meddling.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Actually, I did not find a single "if" in my entire post. :fingergun:
All the reasoning behind those facts in your posts are ifs.

Carr wasn’t the best player in the draft. So what. Mitch Trubisky wasn’t a top 5 player in 2017. Does that mean the team has gone for the marketing angle?

No. Teams make bad decisions. Bad football decisions.

Had I seen Carr do marketing spots like Baker Mayfield & Patrick Mahomes I’d be more inclined to buy it. But I don’t even remember Carr doing HEB spots (granted I wasn’t in the Houston TV marketing region).

& yeah, McNair made him Kubiak’s Albatross. But was that for marketing purposes or because McNair wanted to see the kid succeed?

Win more games, make more money. It’s really that simple.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

This sounds like alot of franchises. It's actually rare that the most talented player on the draft is taken #1 overall, because you always have to factor in the importance of the position. Look at the past three drafts... Burrow, Murray and Baker were not the most talented players in the draft. They were QBs and everyone knows how important it is to have a good QB.

Boris

All Pro
Had I seen Carr do marketing spots like Baker Mayfield & Patrick Mahomes I’d be more inclined to buy it. But I don’t even remember Carr doing HEB spots (granted I wasn’t in the Houston TV marketing region).
I d'ont begrudge the marketing spots as long as the player puts in the work...Carr was the opposite of 1st one in, last 1 out.

The televised haircut; that's when i realised the job was too big for him.

Truth is, Tony Banks should've started every game year 1.
Our offensive line immediately looked better whenever Banks played...we still sucked but the offense improved.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I d'ont begrudge the marketing spots as long as the player puts in the work...Carr was the opposite of 1st one in, last 1 out.
That’s not the point. I don’t begrudge Carr for anything. Not his fault the Texans drafted him #1 overall.

My point is if he was part of the Texans marketing machine there would have been more effort to get that mug out there.