Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

It was Hannah, as we thought all along.
Hannah and I don't make the picks. We'll make it clear there," McNair said during the 20th Annual Houston Texans Charity Golf Classic. "We have a great group of scouts led by Nick [Caserio] and James Lippert, and they did a lot of work on the draft board, and then they followed that on draft day, and they moved up when they saw the value was there and moved back."

Cal said stop lying folks.

This won't stop the folks here who seem hell bent on convincing anyone who will listen that there was a split between the brass and the coaching staff. :crazy:

They rather believe the voices in their heads that they are right and the owners are lying.. :wacko: To what end I can't imagine.

:coffee:

If CJ Stroud is not a big improvement over Davis Mills, I will be shocked.
Last year Mills threw for 3118 yards, 61% completion, 17 TD's and 15 INT's
Trevor Lawrence his rookie season, 3641 yards, 59.6% completion, 12 TD's and 17 INT's

Some rookie quarterbacks hit the ground running - Andrew Luck, Justin Herbert, and Cam Newton. Most of them struggle their rookie years. I'm not setting Stroud up for any expectations. I have utterly no idea what to expect and won't be shocked by anything. I'm hoping for the best and I won't be disappointed if he struggles. Most rookies do.

If you want to get a good look-see at CJs potential then get your hands on a copy of the college P/O game from last season between his team and Georgia.
Well I found one on Youtube over the weekend and watched the whole game and listen Stroud is really impressive: very accurate passer with an effortless motion and also excellent mobility. He had 5 or 6 TDs against the vaunted Georgia Bull dogs D - I'm feelling really good about Stroud after watching that game.

It was four TD's, three of which were in the first half. After the first drive of the second half resulted in another passing TD, the Georgia defense absolutely shut down Stroud who went 4/12 for 47 yards on the final five possessions across 25 minutes of play.

It was four TD's, three of which were in the first half. After the first drive of the second half resulted in another passing TD, the Georgia defense absolutely shut down Stroud who went 4/12 for 47 yards on the final five possessions across 25 minutes of play.
Every Quarterback will have those types of moments in the game. Every so often defenses will lock down the entire offense as well. It happens.

Every Quarterback will have those types of moments in the game. Every so often defenses will lock down the entire offense as well. It happens.

Absolutely. Was bringing balance to the position that he owned the Georgia defense that day. Wasn't an attempt to invalidate what was overall a good game for him.

I don't like pointing to this one game as the reason he will be great, just like I don't like pointing to it as the reason he won't be. Both views have been expressed here. Some more passionately than others.

This won't stop the folks here who seem hell bent on convincing anyone who will listen that there was a split between the brass and the coaching staff. :crazy:

They rather believe the voices in their heads that they are right and the owners are lying.. :wacko: To what end I can't imagine.

:coffee:
I don’t really care about that argument.

But Cal’s a known liar. Regardless where you’re at about “the split” Cal’s a liar.

OK I stand corrected - 4 TDs and 348 passing yards with 23 of 34, and BTW it's a 60 minute contest.

OK I stand corrected - 4 TDs and 348 passing yards with 23 of 34, and BTW it's a 60 minute contest.

As I noted upthread, my intent was not to diminish the overall good game that he had. It is just how the Recency Effect has people on both sides of the Stroud argument pointing to this one game as their frame of reference.

He was something like 19/22 for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the first half and first possession of the 3rd quarter. Absolutely brilliant play on his behalf.

He was also 4/12 for 47 yards in the final five possessions of the game. Absolute brilliant play on behalf of the Georgia defense.

Both of these scenarios occurred in the same game. Neither scenario exclusively defines him as a QB. All I ask is that whatever side of the argument one may on be concerning Stroud, take an objective look at this entire game, not just the part that makes one's own argument appealing.

As I noted upthread, my intent was not to diminish the overall good game that he had. It is just how the Recency Effect has people on both sides of the Stroud argument pointing to this one game as their frame of reference.

He was something like 19/22 for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the first half and first possession of the 3rd quarter. Absolutely brilliant play on his behalf.

He was also 4/12 for 47 yards in the final five possessions of the game. Absolute brilliant play on behalf of the Georgia defense.

Both of these scenarios occurred in the same game. Neither scenario exclusively defines him as a QB. All I ask is that whatever side of the argument one may on be concerning Stroud, take an objective look at this entire game, not just the part that makes one's own argument appealing.
So in other words as things got tight he shrunk.

4 completions an one wr he got concussed. (Harrison)

Change the logo on the helmut. I want a steer grazing under a light blue oil derrick. And red soda shooting out of the top of the derrick. And red and blue racing stripes.

giphy.gif

Change the logo on the helmut. I want a steer grazing under a light blue oil derrick. And red soda shooting out of the top of the derrick. And red and blue racing stripes.
I want this logo.

The Bull doing the deed with Hannah and Cal is sitting in the top of the Derrick spilling a bloody Mary on them after dropping his gameboy on them with a caption of Cal saying I think I lost my Hannah and my gameboy at the same time.

That's a lot to put on a helmut but I think it could be done.

LOL

Got a pause and negotiating some things.....maybe the Texans are trying to get an approval to use a new shade of blue that gets close to "Columbia Blue" but isn't that color.

Wouldn't be too bad if the team decided they wanted to take "Battle Red" out and replace it with "Gold". Since the Rams ditched the color combination.....no other team would be using it. Not to mention, it's really a pretty cool combo. The Astros made it pretty dang cool as well.

Last edited:
Though I’m with most that the Texans colors were bland and unimaginative, I’m probably gonna be in the minority of them trying to get something that tries to tie in the Oilers. The Oilers are not only a totally different franchise who left our asses, they were as much of a failure here as the Texans have been. Sure, they made a couple of Conference title games but 17 years had passed from then until they left, and it was just 2 times in the 27 years they were members of the NFL. That isn't all that more than what the Texans have done in 21 years so far.

I fear these new unis are going to be cheesy ass XFLish, Arena type BS that will make us long for the boring, bland they have now. I think all they really needed to do was change the main color to red. But then it's all about the money grab anymore so milk that Oiler nostalgia all you can.

With 17 games it seems that the schedule alternates the number of home games every year. Small sample size so far.
2021 - Home:9 - Away:8
2022 - Home:8 - Away:9
2023 - Home:9 - Away:8

Yes, that's the way they set it up. It also means we'll have 2 home, 1 road preseason games 1 year, and 1 home 2 road the next, where in the end there will still be 10 home games every year that season ticket holders get charged for.

I’m probably gonna be in the minority of them trying to get something that tries to tie in the Oilers
I sure hope they don't. Oilers are gone and ain't coming back even if some would want them too. Makes me angry as hell the current Titans are tying themselves to the Houston Oilers. Them wearing the throwback Oiler unis is like the Ravens wearing throwback Browns unis

Though I’m with most that the Texans colors were bland and unimaginative, I’m probably gonna be in the minority of them trying to get something that tries to tie in the Oilers.

I sure hope they don't. Oilers are gone and ain't coming back even if some would want them too. Makes me angry as hell the current Titans are tying themselves to the Houston Oilers. Them wearing the throwback Oiler unis is like the Ravens wearing throwback Browns unis

I don’t want the oilers here. They are in Tennessee. If you want the Oilers you can find them there.

Agreed !
Like it or not the Oilers are part of the history and culture of another NFL organization no longer in Houston, TX.

maxresdefault.jpg

That’s what the Texans should build their themes around. That should be the main theme. The home colors

Last edited:
Shaquille Mason extends $12 m APY,
When does Howard get his? I am hoping no sooner than midseason but expect it any day.

2022 PFF for both very close at 68 and 69 with Howard having 3 sacks against and Shaq one. RT over RG, I am guessing ~ $15 m APY.

Though I’m with most that the Texans colors were bland and unimaginative, I’m probably gonna be in the minority of them trying to get something that tries to tie in the Oilers. The Oilers are not only a totally different franchise who left our asses, they were as much of a failure here as the Texans have been. Sure, they made a couple of Conference title games but 17 years had passed from then until they left, and it was just 2 times in the 27 years they were members of the NFL. That isn't all that more than what the Texans have done in 21 years so far.

I fear these new unis are going to be cheesy ass XFLish, Arena type BS that will make us long for the boring, bland they have now. I think all they really needed to do was change the main color to red. But then it's all about the money grab anymore so milk that Oiler nostalgia all you can.

I hope the use of the Red Helmet often is an indicator of that. I mean primary red even with the darn oiler light blue would give a unique pattern at least.

Texans receivers still considered a weak position group after 2023 NFL draft
Mark Lane

May 11, 2023 8:24 am CT

The Houston Texans used two picks in the 2023 NFL draft to bolster their receivers, but it apparently wasn’t enough.
According to Gordon McGuinness from Pro Football Focus, the Texans still have one of the weakest position groups in the NFL following the draft.
The caveat here should be that the Texans have a collection of wide receivers with potential; it’s just hard to see who you would put your faith in emerging into a force from the group. Between Nico Collins, John Metchie III, Robert Woods, Xavier Hutchinson, Noah Brown and Tank Dell, they don’t have a wide receiver who produced 600 receiving yards in the NFL last season.
With offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik joining head coach DeMeco Ryans in the move from San Francisco, it’s not out of the question that they can scheme up some success here. But on paper, it’s a weak group.
Houston used their 69th overall pick in Round 3 to take Dell, who generated 109 catches for 1,398 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

Where the Texans are hopeful to get a steal is with Hutchinson, who general manager Nick Caserio believes his workouts affected his draft stock, not actual on-field production.

“I would say this is a classic example of a guy whose workout didn’t go great, but he’s a good football player, so he falls into that bucket,” Caserio told reporters April 29. “It’s a player the offensive staff thought highly of. As we were repositioning at that point, we were trying to see who are players you had decent grades on that you have some affinity for. That’s why we went ahead and made the pick with Hutch.”

Until the Texans prove it on the field, there is going to be doubts as to their potential, particularly because Houston doesn’t have any household names in their receiver room as in previous seasons.

Back