Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Tyree Gillespie, safety signed off waivers from Jaguars. 4th round pick in 2021 but currently on his 4th team. Athletic player with 4.42 speed and the Raiders thought highly enough to draft him in the 4th recently. But being on his 4th NFL team is a red flag I don’t see him overcoming. I expect him to be a camp body.

It's not his height, it's the frame that's the problem. He's going to get roughed up by the bigger GMs on deals.
Yeah some of those GMs are probably around the 350 - 400 mark by now but Caserio could probably dance around them like those practice dummys.

Ward is a good interview. He mentions he wants to be a coach when he retires, hopefully it’s on DeMeco’s staff after helping the Texans win the big one!

The Texans need to give reporters mics so we can hear their questions!

I've suggested that to the Texans communication director for years. No response. It would take one person handling an amplified highly directional microphone and pointing it to the person asking the questions. Simple solution with evidently no interest. Where is the interest in increasing the "Fan Experience"? SMH

Last edited:
Ward is a good interview. He mentions he wants to be a coach when he retires, hopefully it’s on DeMeco’s staff after helping the Texans win the big one!

The Texans need to give reporters mics so we can hear their questions!

Here is a full transcript of Ward's excellent interview (including the inaudible questions):

DB Jimmie Ward
Now that you’re here, how has it been getting acclimated with your teammates and coaches?

“I’m loving it. I didn’t know how amazing Houston was. Just the culture, the food and being in this organization.”
What made you choose Houston?
“First of all, Meco (DeMeco Ryans) CU (Cory Undlin), then I liked Nick, (Caserio) the general manager. And of course It’s the South. I got to play safety. I get to compete for safety for a starting spot. That’s that main reason why I came.”
How did you see DeMeco Ryan develop as a coach since you’ve been with him for a long time?
“He was kind of stiff a little bit as a linebacker coach. Nah, I’m just playing. He had a great sense of humor. For him to be a coach, he was coachable. You can criticize him, he’d take it and he’ll learn from it. I just watched him and Coach Kyle’s (Shanahan) relationship in San Fran and when he got that defensive coordinator job, he stepped right into the shoes. He had some pretty big shoes to fill because (Robert) Saleh was a pretty good defensive coordinator too. He stepped right in and we didn’t lose a beat. I think we actually got better. Now, it’s his first time being a head coach and I feel like he’s going to do an amazing job.”
Have you had a chance to watch DB Jalen Pitre’s play from last season?
“Yeah, I’ve been breaking down the film now. We’ve been talking about it, talking a lot about it. One thing that I’ve seen is he has great ball skills. He can really move. He has some great feet. He told me a little about his background story and how he played nickel in college, and that’s similar to what I did. I’m excited because that’s what I did and I’m excited because it can be interchangeable where I don’t always have to cover, he doesn’t always have to blitz or he don’t always have to be in the post. We can switch it up and that’s great for a defense because we can disguise better.”
You mentioned about playing safety again, was that a selling point here aside from other places?
“Not necessarily. Well, there were some other coaches and teams that wanted me to play safety too. I feel like I had a better relationship with Meco (DeMeco Ryans) and had a better relationship with Cory Undy (Undlin). Yes, he did (mention playing safety). We chatted about it a little bit. We didn’t do too much talking about it when we were in San Francisco. He told me, I’d like you to play for me. That’s kind of where we cut that conversation off.”
What can you say about DeMeco Ryans and how he’s helped some players take that next step?
“To be honest, he’ll call you out. I feel like no matter the age, no matter how good a guy is, All-Pro, Pro Bowl, you’ve got to be able to take criticism. You’ve got to be able to be coachable. That’s one guy who played this game and played it for a long time. He knows what you’ve been through, and that’s one guy that a lot of guys look up to. A lot guys want to play 10 years in this league. A lot of guys want to be a starting player on defense/offense/special teams for that long in this league. He’s a role model to a lot of guys. That’s why it’s easy to listen to DeMeco (Ryans). That’s why it’s easy for him to push us too.”
What do you think of the move to trade up for LB Will Anderson Jr.?
“I was happy. D-line, you know what type of defense we’re running. It’s ran through the front. So the more guys you got up there that can get after the quarterback, it makes it way easier for the DBs, way easier for the linebackers.”
Do you have any perspective on WR John Metchie? What do you think about that kind of effort? Is he an inspirational figure to guys in the locker room?
“Yeah, I think so. What he went through, I’ve never been through it. It’s my first time hearing of someone going through what he is going through. I take my hat off to him. It’s hard coming back from anything, any injuries. It’s hard coming back from fighting what he has to fight through. Trying to just get his body back up to speed playing with professional athletes.”
How did you see DeMeco Ryans grow as a coach in San Francisco?
“I just saw him really trusting his calls. Sometimes he would call a certain call and won’t be as aggressive, and the next year, he started switching stuff up. He started playing to his defense. If he felt like something didn’t work, then he’d throw it out. It doesn’t matter if we were good at it last game, good at it last week, good at it last year, he started calling plays that fit his defense.”
What constitutes success for the team this year?
“Really just playing together. Going out there – first of all, you’ve got to protect the team. No off the field distractions. I feel like that’s for every professional league, organization. Secondly, believing in each other and trusting the coaching staff.”
When Will Anderson Jr. was drafted, how closely were you paying attention to the draft?
“I’m in an Airbnb right now and the cable has been going in and out so… I really was getting text messages. So I was looking at the text messages and people were updating me on who we were drafting. Then everybody was like, ‘y’all are not playing in the draft,’ so I’m like golly what’s going on. They said y’all took a quarterback at No. 2, we did? ‘ Then the next thing you know, we traded with somebody and I was like, ‘okay we got d-end.’ Then I was like hold on, ‘what did they do with that early second-round pick? Oh, we traded it away?’ But, at the same time, we got two studs. Those are gamechangers. C.J. (Stroud) and Will (Anderson Jr.) like, man, those guys are ballers. Those are franchise players right there. I think Nick (Caserio) and Meco (DeMeco Ryans) did an amazing job.”
Last two years you had rookie quarterbacks, what did you notice about them in the early stages of training camp to where they were able to build relationships inside of the locker room?
“When I saw C.J. (Stroud), only a few games, the big games, because I actually had time to sit there and watch it a little bit, I feel like he’s an amazing thrower and he has confidence. From what I saw from Brock Purdy, he was comfortable. Coach Kyle (Shanahan) put him in the shotgun. He didn’t really put him under center. He kind of put him in a Jimmy G (Garoppolo) offense. Jimmy G can work out of a shotgun. It made him comfortable and Brock Purdy never said anything. I used to mess with him every time we went to OTAs. ‘Hey, let’s play catch.’ Make sure you throw me the ball. I would just mess with him and he would just look at me like, nah, man, I’m not throwing you the ball. Never said anything. Just walked past, smirk, and I just messed with him every day. ‘Brock, what’s up man. We going to play catch today?’ He just had so much poise about himself. One day, Jimmy got hurt. I can’t remember the game, but Jimmy got hurt. Brock goes in. I looked up and was like, ‘Brock is in the game.’ The next thing you know, he drives down the field and scores. Then he got excited and I was like, oh. Everybody was like, okay, I think we’ve got something. So that’s one thing about it. If C.J. comes in here and he works – not everybody is like Brock Purdy. If you’re a talker, then talk. Just be yourself. When you come in here, just be yourself. If you talk, talk. If you don’t say anything, don’t. But just work. That’s it. Just grind.”
What is asked of your position at safety?
“To be honest, to be an extra coach. Obviously, I know this defense. I’m not perfect. Sometimes, I’m pretty sure I make mistakes. Just try to bring the younger guys along because I’ve been through a lot going on my 10th year in this league. Really just try to explain to them my experience and tell them in this defense that you’ve got to work as a string. If somebody is off on this defense, we can give up an explosive.”
What are your key lessons you’ve learned from Cory Undlin?
“Be patient. In this defense you don’t have to force plays. Like I said earlier, this defense is ran through the defensive front. This is going to be an attacking d-line. All you have to do is be in your spot and plays will come to you.”
Do you see any characteristics between DeMeco and Nick that you see in your former team’s GM and head coach?
“You’ve got to give me a little bit more time. It’s OTAs. I want to answer that question but I can’t answer that question. I can’t answer that question for you right now. You’ve got to give me a little bit more time. Come back to me on that question.”
How do you feel y’all took a piece of what you guys did in San Francisco and brought it here?
“To be honest, it’s just the defense. We’ve got to find our own culture, create our own identity. We’re not San Francisco, we’re Houston. That’s who we’re going to be.”
What has caught your attention as you’ve made your way around the City of Houston?
“The heat has caught my attention. I’ve been in California the last nine years. I’ve got to get used to that. I’ve been drinking a lot of salt (water). It’s beautiful out here. I was raised in the South. I was raised in Alabama so I’m kind of used to it. Born in the Midwest. I’m close to family. I’m used to how friendly people are. In California It’s okay to be rude. People walk past you, look, don’t say anything. It’s normal. You walk past somebody here, ‘hey, how you doing, sir?’ I was like, hey, my bad. I forgot. Other than that, it’s just the culture. How y’all are excited, y’all are smiling. It’s something I’m not used to.”
When you look at DB Derek Stingley Jr. from last season, do you feel like the cornerback position is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL level?
“He’s good. I seen how he moves around. He’s like 6-1, 6-0, but he moves like he’s 5-9, 5-8. Dude’s a stud. He’s going to be a stud. Then his confidence is already there. When you’re playing in the SEC, the level doesn’t just jump up too much because a lot of guys that he locked down at LSU are in the league. Didn’t they just break a record of SEC guys drafted this year? Okay, this guy Stingley, covered majority of the top wide receivers coming out or tight ends. Like he did this already. That’s the reason his confidence is so high. It’s going to keep clicking for him. The game is going to slow down and slow down and sooner or later I’m not looking at his side. I’m going to go steal some on the other side. You aren’t going to catch the ball on Stingley.”
What can you do specifically to mentor guys like Derek Stingley Jr. and Jalen Pitre?
“The main thing I’m going to do it make sure I tell them how to take care of their body because I’ve been through a lot of injuries. That’s my main thing. Tell them to take care of their body and stay clearheaded. Things are going to happen in this league. And just let them know it’s a marathon. Right now, it’s OTAs. We’re building up, don’t peak too early. Peak at the right time. That’s really it.”

OL Shaq Mason
What’s it like being united with Nick Caserio and what type of program do they want to have here?

“It was awesome. When I found out I was coming here, familiar faces. Been around Nick (Caserio) for a majority of my career. It was good to see him again. Frank (Ross) as well.”
What did you think when you heard you had been traded?
“I was happy when I found out it was here. It was a happy feeling knowing that I would be here. I knew the system they were going to be running. New coach with a lot of energy. I think it was a perfect fit for me.”
What is the adjustment like working with new guys next to you?
“Really, it’s building continuity, taking it day-by-day. Everybody’s out there griding, trying to put our best foot forward. No matter who we’re playing beside, whoever the five are, I know we’re all going to be on the same page.”
What can you do to help OL Kenyon Green going into his second season?
“Kenyon (Green) he picks my brain a lot. We’ve been talking. He’s been asking me things here and there. I one thing I know is that he cares. That’s a big thing coming from a guy that young. He cares about his craft. He cares about studying. He doesn’t want to mess anything up. That’s a lot coming from a young guy.”
What is your familiarity with offensive line coach Chris Strausser?
“This system is different for him as well. We’re all buying in and trying to put our best foot forward. (Assistant Offensive Line Coach) Cole (Popovich) is in the room too. He was my o-line coach in New England as well. We’re all just buying in and trying to pick it up as quickly as possible and put our best foot forward.”
How different do you expect it to be from New England, to Tampa Bay to here?
“Should be a lot more fun, honestly. I get to run a little more, sprint off the ball. It should be fun.”
How does drafting QB C.J. Stroud change the trajectory of this offense?
“I think we can to great things. Like I said, it’s new to everybody. We just got to buy in and put our best foot forward. Everybody is building right now, not just us, every other team. All 32 (teams), we’re building. It’s a mountain top, we’re just climbing.”
You said it would be a lot more fun, can you expand on that a little more?
“I view myself as an athletic guard so just getting out, running a lot more. Just those type of things.”
What are your impressions so far of RB Dameon Pierce and RB Devin Singletary?
"Great guys. I’m lucky to block for them, honestly. I’ve seen what both of them can do with the ball in their hands. They’re both special players and I’m looking forward to blocking for them.”
You’ve been involved in the community, what do you want to do here?
"Get out in the community and help as much as I can. I do a lot of charity work with my foundation in the cities that I’ve played in. That’s pretty huge to me, giving back. I’m looking forward to doing it in Houston as well.”
Does your name (Shaquille Olajuwon Mason) mean a little more now that you’re in Houston?
"A little bit. As soon as I landed here, there was a Texans fan saying, ‘your middle name is Olajuwon and now you’re in Houston.’ It didn’t really dawn on me until somebody said it to me. It’s pretty cool.”
With the additions this offseason, how much better do you think this team can be going in to 2023?
"The sky is the limit. I can’t put a cap on it but I know with the guys we’ve got in our locker room and what we’re trying to build, it’s going to be a very successful team. I’ve been part of successful teams in the past, and I know we’ve got a recipe.”
Have you got a chance to talk to RB Dameon Pierce yet and what does it mean to block for a runner at such a young age?
"I’ve had a few conversations with him. It’s going to be fun. Honestly, I watched the Chargers game and I saw him and said, who is this kid? As the season progressed, he had better games and he took off. It’s a blessing to block for him. He runs hard and he’s going to make every defense feel him as he opposes his will. That’s all you can ask for as an offensive lineman.”
What do you think you need to do to help a quarterback like C.J. Stroud?
"Protect him. That’s the biggest thing I can do, protect him. Rookie quarterbacks, there’s always a learning curve. I think he’ll be fine. Us five up front, we’re going to do our job and try to make his job as easy as possible.”
Where do you think you guys can rank as an offensive line across the league?
"I think we can definitely be one of the best (offensive) lines in the league. For sure.”
What do you think about the level of commitment WR John Metchie has and can that serve as an inspiration?
"Absolutely. That just shows how tough the kid is, resolve to be out there. You look out there and you see him and he’s a dynamic player. Just know what he fought through to get back out there, it lifts everybody seeing him out there honestly.”
What is the expectation for you here playing under your current contract?
"I play ball. I let everybody else handle those types of things. I love to be here, that’s one thing. I’m here to ball and that’s what I’m going to do.”
When the Patriots drafted QB Mac Jones, do you recall anything you did to help him in that situation?
"He was a rookie that year. One thing I can take from that and pass along to C.J. (Stroud), is that rookie Q’s (quarterbacks) have to put in a little more than everybody else on the team. That’s just kind of how that worked out. Mac (Jones) had a good amount of success his rookie year. I think C.J. will have a good amount of success and I know he’s willing to put the time and effort in.”
How did you love for basketball come about?
"I tell a lot of people, I’m a hooper that plays football. I love basketball, but I’m short so that dream faded. As far as my AAU program, me and a lot of guys from my community and hometown put together a team. My program is sixth through 11th grade. A lot of guys from the Nashville, Tennessee, area. We go to all of these exposure tournaments. It’s a pretty big program so I’m proud of it.”
What do the young offensive linemen here have to develop early on to not only get reps but if their name is called to have success?
"Got to be a sponge, especially young offensive lineman. Got to be a sponge. We’ve got guys in the room that can lay the foundation. They’ve just got to soak up the game and go out there and add little tools and techniques to their own.”
Do you think there is an advantage to having a former NFL player as a head coach?
"Absolutely, I think so. The fact that a guy has played the game and been through that, that means a lot to the players in the locker room. I definitely think it means something to us.”
How well did you get to know Nick Caserio in New England and what kind of team do you think he wants to build?
"I got to know Nick (Caserio) pretty well from my time in New England. I know above all Nick wants to win. That’s what we’re all here for. Whoever is on the 53 (man roster), practice squad, whatever, everybody wants to win. When you have a GM that has that mentality, you can see from the type of moves he’s making, that excites the team. That’s why there is a little extra juice around here, knowing we’ve got the ability to do some special things.”

Classless Hillbillies!!!!! And when referring to the Titans, Moon says "we."

I remember seeing the oiler uniform for the first time (I was but a wee lad) and thought to myself, that it was the most sorriest looking uniform and team name I’ve ever seen and heard :hides:……but then it grew on me

Veteran o-lineman Shaq Mason "happy" to be a Texan
May 05, 2023 at 12:21 PM
Drew Dougherty

Shaq Mason's been a starting guard in the NFL for the last eight years. He won a pair of Super Bowl rings with the Patriots before moving on to the Buccaneers last year. Mason was traded from Tampa Bay to the Texans earlier this spring.

He's seen a lot. But he really likes what he sees in Houston.

"I was happy when I found out it was here," Mason said. "It was a happy feeling knowing that I would be here. I knew the system they were going to be running. New coach with a lot of energy. I think it was a perfect fit for me."

Mason joins an offensive line anchored by tackles Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard, with 2022 first-round pick Kenyon Green at left guard. Mason brings experience, knowledge, and athleticism to the unit up front, and is excited about his role in an offense coordinated by Bobby Slowik.

"Should be a lot more fun, honestly," Mason said. I get to run a little more, sprint off the ball. It should be fun. I view myself as an athletic guard so just getting out, running a lot more."

Mason's also been impressed with Green's professionalism and desire to imrove.

"Kenyon, he picks my brain a lot," Mason said. "We've been talking. He's been asking me things here and there. I one thing I know is that he cares. That's a big thing coming from a guy that young. He cares about his craft. He cares about studying. He doesn't want to mess anything up. That's a lot coming from a young guy."

Mason and the Texans have been working out at NRG Stadium and on the practice fields at the Houston Methodist Training Center during Phase II of the offseason conditioning program.

Veteran o-lineman Shaq Mason "happy" to be a Texan
May 05, 2023 at 12:21 PM
Drew Dougherty

Shaq Mason's been a starting guard in the NFL for the last eight years. He won a pair of Super Bowl rings with the Patriots before moving on to the Buccaneers last year. Mason was traded from Tampa Bay to the Texans earlier this spring.

He's seen a lot. But he really likes what he sees in Houston.

"I was happy when I found out it was here," Mason said. "It was a happy feeling knowing that I would be here. I knew the system they were going to be running. New coach with a lot of energy. I think it was a perfect fit for me."

Mason joins an offensive line anchored by tackles Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard, with 2022 first-round pick Kenyon Green at left guard. Mason brings experience, knowledge, and athleticism to the unit up front, and is excited about his role in an offense coordinated by Bobby Slowik.

"Should be a lot more fun, honestly," Mason said. I get to run a little more, sprint off the ball. It should be fun. I view myself as an athletic guard so just getting out, running a lot more."

Mason's also been impressed with Green's professionalism and desire to imrove.

"Kenyon, he picks my brain a lot," Mason said. "We've been talking. He's been asking me things here and there. I one thing I know is that he cares. That's a big thing coming from a guy that young. He cares about his craft. He cares about studying. He doesn't want to mess anything up. That's a lot coming from a young guy."

Mason and the Texans have been working out at NRG Stadium and on the practice fields at the Houston Methodist Training Center during Phase II of the offseason conditioning program.

Very excited about Mason’s addition. He is a rock solid presence in the interior and will be a great influence on the youngsters Green and Scruggs.

Very excited about Mason’s addition. He is a rock solid presence in the interior and will be a great influence on the youngsters Green and Scruggs.
I just hope that he get Green's feet to move better and quicker...........the brain can work well without the message being sent successfully to the feet. That will be Green's greatest challenge.

I just hope that he get Green's feet to move better and quicker...........the brain can work well without the message being sent successfully to the feet. That will be Green's greatest challenge.

I liked what I saw from Green prior to his injury in the Raiders game last season. I hope he works out and lives up to that 1st round pedigree. Loved his play in college.

I liked what I saw from Green prior to his injury in the Raiders game last season. I hope he works out and lives up to that 1st round pedigree. Loved his play in college.
If Green is to live up to his 1st round pedigree, he will need to overcome his poor footwork which was evident prior to his 2022 injuries. This brings us to the next concern................Green needs to stop accumulating injuries if he is to survive and be a significant effective olineman for the Texans. Last season, he suffered a concussion, an ankle ligament tear, a shoulder subluxation, and a medial knee meniscus tear which required an excision (not repair) this offseason.

If Green is to live up to his 1st round pedigree, he will need to overcome his poor footwork which was evident prior to his 2022 injuries. This brings us to the next concern................Green needs to stop accumulating injuries if he is to survive and be a significant effective olineman for the Texans. Last season, he suffered a concussion, an ankle ligament tear, a shoulder subluxation, and a medial knee meniscus tear which required an excision (not repair) this offseason.

Green didn’t look like he was having trouble adjusting at the start….his footwork issues may have been initiated from trying to play and protect his injuries at the same time.

I hope he gets healed up and healthy so he’s an active participant at the start of all Texans activities.

I guess it's understandable that Green's play fell off at the end of the season. He shouldn't have been out there.

Green didn’t look like he was having trouble adjusting at the start….his footwork issues may have been initiated from trying to play and protect his injuries at the same time.

I hope he gets healed up and healthy so he’s an active participant at the start of all Texans activities.
He began his stint with the Texans with a concussion, which has been shown to subsequently be associated with high risk for lower extremity injuries.

Nico needs a productive 16+ game season in the worst way. I have no doubt Nico could put up the numbers, but he has to stay on the field. Maybe he could be WR1…..hail I really pushed for the Texans to draft this guy.

Another thing to see on the provided video…..when Mills could get that lead foot down, his throws look exceptional. Hope he provides Stroud with plenty of competition b/c in the end, it’ll bring the best out of Stroud.

If CJ Stroud is not a big improvement over Davis Mills, I will be shocked.
If you want to get a good look-see at CJs potential then get your hands on a copy of the college P/O game from last season between his team and Georgia.
Well I found one on Youtube over the weekend and watched the whole game and listen Stroud is really impressive: very accurate passer with an effortless motion and also excellent mobility. He had 5 or 6 TDs against the vaunted Georgia Bull dogs D - I'm feelling really good about Stroud after watching that game.

Back