Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

If a team offers a top 100 pick I would take it.

I think the Texans can draft OL and still carry the veterans on the roster. If the drafted linemen perform and appear ready to enter the starting lineup....guys like, Tunsil and Howard could be moved for 2023 picks or desired players during camp or the Pre Season games b/c some teams LT, RT, or LG will go down due to injury and that's when the phones would get hot looking for replacements.

I would take a 4rh or maybe a 5rh and package picks say a 4rh and the traded for 5th to move up into the top 100.

Howard’s ability to pass protect at LT is his best asset. That is a top 100 pick trait by itself. A top 100 player will be a starter or major rotational contributor for this roster. That’s what I expect to gain by moving Howard.

Howard’s ability to pass protect at LT is his best asset. That is a top 100 pick trait by itself. A top 100 player will be a starter or major rotational contributor for this roster. That’s what I expect to gain by moving Howard.
A guy that's played, 2 games at LT ? A guy that has never played 16-17 games in a season and is a liability in the run game.

Nobody is going to give up a top 100 pick for this guy. I just hope Caserio's smart enough to not pickup his 5th yr option.

Teams trade for potential all the time.
From Weeks 12-14, Howard earned an 87.7 pass-blocking grade from Pro Football Focus, ranking second among tackles and fourth among all offensive linemen with at least 150 blocking snaps during that span. Howard finished as PFF's highest-graded pass-blocking tackle among the four weeks he started at left tackle with a grade of 89.9.

He is worth his $4 million cap hit just as insurance in case Tunsil hurts another pinky missing the season.

A guy that's played, 2 games at LT ? A guy that has never played 16-17 games in a season and is a liability in the run game.

Nobody is going to give up a top 100 pick for this guy. I just hope Caserio's smart enough to not pickup his 5th yr option.
Dude they just started the 17 games schedule last season. He played 14 games only missing 2 the season before. And he only missed 2 games last season. Find another excuse please sir.

He was moved there because of injuries to other players. And he played darn well. He was getting better at LG when Tunsil was healthy. A lot of the mistakes were because of chemistry issues. But like I said, he wasn’t your pick therefore, you’re going to drag him through the mud. If he was one of your picks, you would be giving him all types of passes.

Howard played OG because he was a better OG than any of the others. Howard was also a better RT than the other OTs, but because they could only play OT, Howard was the one that was moved. If Howard would have stayed at OT, the OT spots would have been solid, but the inside would have been like a sieve. Howard is only an average OG, but he was the best option they had.

Dude they just started the 17 games schedule last season. He played 14 games only missing 2 the season before. And he only missed 2 games last season. Find another excuse please sir.

He was moved there because of injuries to other players. And he played darn well. He was getting better at LG when Tunsil was healthy. A lot of the mistakes were because of chemistry issues. But like I said, he wasn’t your pick therefore, you’re going to drag him through the mud. If he was one of your picks, you would be giving him all types of passes.

He's not good, maybe only avg at best. His rookie yr he missed a bunch of time and games every season after. He's certainly not a guy you can count on. The fact that this is a discussion after 4 years tells you all you need to know.

If you remember correctly I was fully on board with the Howard/Scharping draft. I was wrong, no more picking small school guys high. Will you miss out on some great players? Of course you will, but this isn't the time to be taking these types of risks. Maybe after the rebuild is close to completion but not right now.

He's not good, maybe only avg at best. His rookie yr he missed a bunch of time and games every season after. He's certainly not a guy you can count on. The fact that this is a discussion after 4 years tells you all you need to know.

If you remember correctly I was fully on board with the Howard/Scharping draft. I was wrong, no more picking small school guys high. Will you miss out on some great players? Of course you will, but this isn't the time to be taking these types of risks. Maybe after the rebuild is close to completion but not right now.
Do you have a problem with understanding? Howard is one of the Texans top 2 OT's. Even though he is only average at OG, he was still one of the Texans top 2 OG's. The 3rd best OT was better at OT than any of the other OG's were at OG. The Texans were weak at OG. That's the only reason Howard was playing OG. It's the same thing you complimented Neal on. Even though he is a better OT, when the starting OG got hurt, Neal moved to OG because he was better than the backup OG.

Howard played OG because he was a better OG than any of the others. Howard was also a better RT than the other OTs, but because they could only play OT, Howard was the one that was moved. If Howard would have stayed at OT, the OT spots would have been solid, but the inside would have been like a sieve. Howard is only an average OG, but he was the best option they had.
Agree

The Texans were weak at OG. That's the only reason Howard was playing OG.
Lane Taylor was a waste. Spent most of the season on IR, McCray wasn't far behind him.

They were supposed to be our starting guards.

Scharping was fun to watch. Made for a very active drinking game.

Do you have a problem with understanding? Howard is one of the Texans top 2 OT's. Even though he is only average at OG, he was still one of the Texans top 2 OG's. The 3rd best OT was better at OT than any of the other OG's were at OG. The Texans were weak at OG. That's the only reason Howard was playing OG. It's the same thing you complimented Neal on. Even though he is a better OT, when the starting OG got hurt, Neal moved to OG because he was better than the backup OG.

I dont have a problem understanding at all. Howard is an avg at best RT. Even though he had a couple of good games at LT there's a reason Caserio chose to keep Tunsil. Howard is a penalty waiting to happen at OG. Just because he was one of the Texans best OL doesn't mean he was avg. Their OL was terrible and has been since Howard was drafted. Is this all his fault? Certainly not, but he's part of the problem not part of the solution. Like I said, the fact that we're having this discussion after 2 OL coaches should tell Caserio all he needs to know about Howard and I believe it has because Caserio kept Tunsil and his outrageous contract for a reason.

I dont have a problem understanding at all. Howard is an avg at best RT. Even though he had a couple of good games at LT there's a reason Caserio chose to keep Tunsil. Howard is a penalty waiting to happen at OG. Just because he was one of the Texans best OL doesn't mean he was avg. Their OL was terrible and has been since Howard was drafted. Is this all his fault? Certainly not, but he's part of the problem not part of the solution. Like I said, the fact that we're having this discussion after 2 OL coaches should tell Caserio all he needs to know about Howard and I believe it has because Caserio kept Tunsil and his outrageous contract for a reason.
If Caserio saw Howard the way you do, he would have cut or traded Howard and kept Christian. I think he kept Tunsil because he didn't get the trade offers he was expecting, and it is cheaper to keep Tunsil for another year over cutting him. Another reason both Tunsil and Howard were kept is Caserio sees them as his top 2 OLinemen.

Just because you don't like Howard, doesn't mean everyone else also dislikes him.

If Caserio saw Howard the way you do, he would have cut or traded Howard and kept Christian. I think he kept Tunsil because he didn't get the trade offers he was expecting, and it is cheaper to keep Tunsil for another year over cutting him. Another reason both Tunsil and Howard were kept is Caserio sees them as his top 2 OLinemen.

Just because you don't like Howard, doesn't mean everyone else also dislikes him.

Agreed, Caserio kept his best 2 OL. Doesn't mean Howard was you know actually good. AVG was better than most of the Texans OL. I put Heck in the same category, not terrible but certainly not good enough.

You don't think there is enough there to warrant more looks?

After 3 yrs I think we know what they've got. OK but not good enough.

The Texans couldn't even avg 3.0 per carry. Cut them all and start over. Actually replace the OG's this yr and the C/OT's minus Tunsil next yr. Unless Neal is drafted at 1-3 this yr. Then revisit trading Tunsil. This doesn't mean trading Tunsil next yr should be a given.

The Texans couldn't even avg 3.0 per carry. Cut them all and start over. Actually replace the OG's this yr and the C/OT's minus Tunsil next yr. Unless Neal is drafted at 1-3 this yr. Then revisit trading Tunsil. This doesn't mean trading Tunsil next yr should be a given.
One way you can really help someone is to put talent next to him and that is what Carstereo will attempt to do. You don't need 5 studs on the Oline - besides, that would be prohibitively expensive.
No need to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

One way you can really help someone is to put talent next to him and that is what Carstereo will attempt to do. You don't need 5 studs on the Oline - besides, that would be prohibitively expensive.
No need to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

There's a case to be made that when you're one of the worst teams in the NFL that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is the correct thing to do.

There's a case to be made that when you're one of the worst teams in the NFL that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is the correct thing to do.

In my book….that would be Tunsil’s arse. He was the highest paid LT in football and really was an ugly penalty machine his first season, a big ol’ finesse blocker his second season, and last season….his stock took a big hit b/c he was a soft finesse blocker who didn’t want to dirty himself with run blocking chores, then rode out a 4-5 week injury for the rest of the season. There’s an obvious reason Caserio is having trouble finding someone who’ll take him and his contract off the teams hands.

It pretty much sums up why I’d rather insert Howard or draft LT, Trevor Penning to replace Tunsil’s soft one-dimensional arse. I think Penning would be everything Tunsil isn’t…..hard charging linemen who delivers in the run game, pass game, and plays the position with some sheer nastiness. I believe this attitude would rub off on Howard if he was his LG or playing RT.

I also see some solid things in RT, Andrew Stueber that could justify selecting him and let him earn a rotation spot in 2022 and then a starting spot in 2023. Stueber, like Penning just brings a nasty demeanor to the position and he’s solid in the run game.

Last edited:

Yeah, we know that Tunsil is an overpaid one-dimensional LT that is too soft to be bothered to run block. We already know that we need to replace the OGs.

True random thought. I hate when people post a Twitter link to show Texans news. I'm behind a firewall, and can't see any of it. What is even worse is when people start commenting on the twitter post without ever saying what it contains. It's frustrating.

How many lines in the NFL have 5 probowlers on them?
Now add injuries.
You are going to have some average guys on your roster - either on your O or Dline. Most likely both.

You would hope a guy you spent a 1st Rd pick on would be better than avg. So you don't want to upgrade from Howard? Are you on board with giving him the 5th yr option?

In my book….that would be Tunsil’s arse. He was the highest paid LT in football and really was an ugly penalty machine his first season, a big ol’ finesse blocker his second season, and last season….his stock took a big hit b/c he was a soft finesse blocker who didn’t want to dirty himself with run blocking chores, then rode out a 4-5 week injury for the rest of the season. There’s an obvious reason Caserio is having trouble finding someone who’ll take him and his contract off the teams hands.

It pretty much sums up why I’d rather insert Howard or draft LT, Trevor Penning to replace Tunsil’s soft one-dimensional arse. I think Penning would be everything Tunsil isn’t…..hard charging linemen who delivers in the run game, pass game, and plays the position with some sheer nastiness. I believe this attitude would rub off on Howard if he was his LG or playing RT.

I also see some solid things in RT, Andrew Stueber that could justify selecting him and let him earn a rotation spot in 2022 and then a starting spot in 2023. Stueber, like Penning just brings a nasty demeanor to the position and he’s solid in the run game.

You don't know what Caserio thinks of Tunsil. However he did extend him so I think that tells you Caserio disagree s with you and he probably wasn't trying to trade him, despite what many on here wanted him to do. This diatribe is exactly why I'm glad the MB isn't making personnel choices for the Calhoun's.

You would hope a guy you spent a 1st Rd pick on would be better than avg. So you don't want to upgrade from Howard? Are you on board with giving him the 5th yr option?
We spent a 1st on him - I am not quite ready to kick one of those to the kerb when there is something there.
Others have seen it, so that is good enough for me.

We spent a 1st on him - I am not quite ready to kick one of those to the kerb when there is something there.
Others have seen it, so that is good enough for me.

I don't believe there is anything there that says he's more than avg. I'm not seeing what these others are seeing after 3 years, most likely he is who he is at this point.

You don't know what Caserio thinks of Tunsil. However he did extend him so I think that tells you Caserio disagree s with you and he probably wasn't trying to trade him, despite what many on here wanted him to do. This diatribe is exactly why I'm glad the MB isn't making personnel choices for the Calhoun's.

Caserio’s move with Tunsil would tell me he was reducing Tunsil’s impact on the cap. It certainly wasn’t based on his play and demeanor last season. The Texans so overspent for Tunsil…the Dolphins are still laughing at this deal when Tunsil’s name is brought up.

Honestly, do you see Tunsil exceeding in a Power Run Offense b/c that’s the offense the Texans appear to instituting for 2022?

I don't believe there is anything there that says he's more than avg. I'm not seeing what these others are seeing after 3 years, most likely he is who he is at this point.
Well, I've seen others say that they have seen good things from Howard. You are the only one I remember seeing that has nothing good to say about him. You also seem to be in the minority with your opinion on Tunsil.

Howard really took his opportunity and ran with it over the past 5 games. He did enough during that stretch that he deserves a big shot in 2022 to prove those last 5 games were not a fluke. He’s in his final season, so I want to see how hungry he is in regards to earning a new contract.

Fair enough.
That leaves us with several options.
Kick him to the kerb with scant returns.
Trade him to another team for probably a 4 the rounder.
Draft someone and hope they are better.
Find someone in FA that is better and is cost effective.
Trade for someone on another team. Costs a draft pick as well as cap.
Hold on to him one more season with some talent beside him with a new HC and OL coach.
Choose your option.

Caserio’s move with Tunsil would tell me he was reducing Tunsil’s impact on the cap. It certainly wasn’t based on his play and demeanor last season. The Texans so overspent for Tunsil…the Dolphins are still laughing at this deal when Tunsil’s name is brought up.

Honestly, do you see Tunsil exceeding in a Power Run Offense b/c that’s the offense the Texans appear to instituting for 2022?

Depends on if they have better talent around him than Howard. Bottom line is whether some want to admit it or not, Tunsil is a top 10 OT. Those are worth far more than the Howard/Scharping/Heck's of the world.

Not saying Howard is or will be as good as Tunsil. Some thoughts based on some of the posts:
Howard has exactly same amount of pro bowls as tunsil did in his first three years. Twin soul played his first season Almost 100% at offensive guard before moving his second year to left tackle. He has played there since and Laramie was not forced to move all over the line his first three years.

Both have had injuries but only one is considered by many to have wimped out.

One's cap hit next two seasons $53 m and the other $17 m if 5th year @$13.

Not saying Howard is or will be as good as Tunsil. Some thoughts based on some of the posts:
Howard has exactly same amount of pro bowls as tunsil did in his first three years. Twin soul played his first season Almost 100% at offensive guard before moving his second year to left tackle. He has played there since and Laramie was not forced to move all over the line his first three years.

Both have had injuries but only one is considered by many to have wimped out.

One's cap hit next two seasons $53 m and the other $17 m if 5th year @$13.

Just one thought,

This is the poster that thought Davenport was the answer at LT before the Tunsil trade was made to fix the fact that Davenport sucked.

Everything else is all excuses.

Howard really took his opportunity and ran with it over the past 5 games. He did enough during that stretch that he deserves a big shot in 2022 to prove those last 5 games were not a fluke. He’s in his final season, so I want to see how hungry he is in regards to earning a new contract.
Agree. Also, if in one breath we can say based on the last 4-5 games, Mills showed promise and we want to see more. Why can't we say the same about Howard?

Agree. Also, if in one breath we can say based on the last 4-5 games, Mills showed promise and we want to see more. Why can't we say the same about Howard?

Mills is a rookie and Howard's already had a few seasons? Idk. I want you to be right.

Well, the obvious answer is that Howard had three prior seasons of play which is included in his resume.

Well, the obvious answer is that Howard had three prior seasons of play which is included in his resume.
How much of the time did he play LT? Could he be a late bloomer? Don't you want to evaluate him when he is not flipping from position to position or away from Devlin and BOB's ED offense?
Don't get me wrong, Tunsil is the better player. However, I would not be surprised to see Howard on another roster and starting at LT.

Back