Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

But you didn't set the spread at 13. None of your reasoning explains why the line was set at 13. You were explai.... nvm.
The way I understand, after watching a special series on the Vegas book-makers and reading a few articles on the matter, the way the line is set nowadays is more scientific, but it still relies on the bookmaker's experience.
They have the experience and the feel of how the general bettors may see (now; they are not right all the time, but they are far from novices.)

Remember that the original line was set at 12 or 12-1/2, I don't remember exactly.
It was moved up to 13-13.5, usually on the betting money swaying toward the Browns.

Here's the sentiment of a pro pick (not that they are all that good, but it can explain the sentiment):

"If taking the spread, the Browns are still the ideal play at -12.5. While the number is definitely high, ..."

The way I understand, after watching a special series on the Vegas book-makers and reading a few articles on the matter, the way the line is set nowadays is more scientific, but it still relies on the bookmaker's experience.
They have the experience and the feel of how the general bettors may see (now; they are not right all the time, but they are far from novices.)

Remember that the original line was set at 12 or 12-1/2, I don't remember exactly.
It was moved up to 13-13.5, usually on the betting money swaying toward the Browns.

Here's the sentiment of a pro pick (not that they are all that good, but it can explain the sentiment):

"If taking the spread, the Browns are still the ideal play at -12.5. While the number is definitely high, ..."
So that goes back to the original statement. The general belief was that the Texans were way overmatched, even with Beckham out. The game showed it wasn't as far as people believed. I mean if one WR kills their talent superiority, then their talent wasn't really all that superior. That's what was being argued.

So that goes back to the original statement. The general belief was that the Texans were way overmatched, even with Beckham out. The game showed it wasn't as far as people believed. I mean if one WR kills their talent superiority, then their talent wasn't really all that superior. That's what was being argued.
It has always been true that the general belief is way too low regarding the Texans.

But this is likely true.
Especially after the Browns offense looked good in the loss to the Chiefs.

However, they only beat the line by 1 point in that game.
(They were a 5 points dog, but lost by 4).
The Chiefs needed a come back to win that game.

But it is most likely true that because the talking heads, in general, have been shooting down the Texans so much; they likely influenced the general bettors.

If we're going to play the what if game, What if TT stays healthy? The Texans probably win that game.

I'll refrain from criticizing Mills for now.

But just to note, an incompletion doesn't hurt the QBR anywhere as much as an INT.

The QBR should take those sorts of things into account, I mean, it's someone looking at the play and making a judgment about where the QBs performance on that play was above or below average. I mean it's not passer rating which is a formula just based on the numbers without taking the context into account.

The QBR should take those sorts of things into account, I mean, it's someone looking at the play and making a judgment about where the QBs performance on that play was above or below average. I mean it's not passer rating which is a formula just based on the numbers without taking the context into account.
Does it take this into account:

1 13:30 2 5 HTX 41 Davis Mills pass complete short left to Mark Ingram for -1 yards (tackle by Shaq Thompson)

Hey, it's a completion. :runaway:

1 13:30 2 5 HTX 41 Davis Mills pass complete short left to Mark Ingram for -1 yards (tackle by Shaq Thompson)

Here's a couple of links to how it's calculated. Nothing is perfect, but IMO this is way more indicative of a QB's play than the passer rating.

Here's a couple of links to how it's calculated. Nothing is perfect, but IMO this is way more indicative of a QB's play than the passer rating.

I can see many flaws.

I've seen them before.
There are so many flaws in them , I don't think it's of much use.

I can see many flaws.

I've seen them before.
There are so many flaws in them , I don't think it's of much use.

Right. Nothing is perfect. I just said that I like QBR more than passer rating.

I've never been a believer in the "eyeball test" and "gut feel", so the other 2 things I'm aware of that we can try to rely on is PFF rating (I know may people hate it) and Football Outsiders DVOA (or whatever they have for individual players).

ESPN says it does, but it's all a judgment call and I have no idea who's making that judgment. At least with numbers, you can have a formula to tweak and it's not just an opinion.

EDIT: I didn't see paycheck71's response when I posted this.

ESPN says it does, but it's all a judgment call and I have no idea who's making that judgment. At least with numbers, you can have a formula to tweak and it's not just an opinion.

Let's say we play the Packers at the Tundra in dead winter on a stormy day.

The Colts play another team in the dome.

Does the formula take that into account?

Let's take a quick look at the first few paragraphs of this article.

They admit they can only estimate the strength of a defense/offense at the beginning of the season.
So right there, we know that the formula is not accurate at this time.

Next, it talks about the home field advantage.
Obviously, they couldn't take into account the effects of Covid, which might be different in different regions.

Or say, how the last hurricane may affect attendance at the Superdome.

It doesn't take into accounts the fact that the Saints were without several coaches/personnels.

Just to name a few things I can think of.

Let's say we play the Packers at the Tundra in dead winter on a stormy day.

The Colts play another team in the dome.

Does the formula take that into account?

Passer rating doesn't take that into account. It doesn't account for differing conditions or different opponents. It doesn't take into account how good or bad the pass protection is or how good or bad the receivers are.

But it also doesn't allow you to be blinded by your own biases.

One of the problems with QBR (as opposed to passer rating) is that someone is looking at a player and then giving them a grade on how well they performed while knowing who they are. Someone like a Rodgers is going to be cut slack on some plays just because they're Rodgers. If mistakes are made, the person assigning the grade is going to shift the blame to someone else, even if that's not right, and even though they might not make those allowances for other players. Two players making exactly the same play with the same outcome against the same opponent may not be graded the same way. I have the same problem with the Football Outsider's grading "system."

I get that numbers and stats like the Passer Rating don't tell the whole story, but a subjective system like QBR or Football Outsiders DVOA is only a little more useful than draft grades or power rankings.

IMO.

EDIT:
I think we're confusing terms here. When I talk about a "formula" based on statistics, I'm talking about Passer Rating. The article about QBR is about QBR, not Passer Rating. You're talking about that "formula." For me, if it's not just using numbers, then it's not a formula. QBR is closer to what you say you want, which is something that tries to take non-numeric things into account, even though you don't think it's taking everything into account.

Nico Collins played the second most snaps at WR in week 1. He got hurt after two snaps in week 2 (made a nice 32 yard catch).

Then Conley has played 90% plus snaps and done absolutely nothing. He received one target last game that would have been a defensive PI had he remembered to turn around and attempt to catch it.

Nico can’t get healthy soon enough. Conley is just a glorified blocker right now and this offense needs someone who can make plays when given the opportunity. Conley is on the field almost every play but you wont notice until you see the snap counts post game.

Right. Nothing is perfect. I just said that I like QBR more than passer rating.

I've never been a believer in the "eyeball test" and "gut feel", so the other 2 things I'm aware of that we can try to rely on is PFF rating (I know may people hate it) and Football Outsiders DVOA (or whatever they have for individual players).

The stat geeks also don't take into account that Collins and Amendola weren't playing.

SportsTalk 790 - Houston's Home for Your Astros, Rockets, & Your Home Teams

It would be nice to see him at Buffalo.

******************************************************************************************
Texans' Scottie Phillips was active for special-teams reasons
By Aaron WilsonSep 24, 2021

Scottie Phillips' determined, downhill running style allowed him to buck the odds to forge a spot on the Texans’ roster as the fifth running back.

It was because of a need on special teams that Phillips was active for the first time this season Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers during a loss at NRG Stadium

Phillips played seven snaps, all on special teams, against Carolina.

Although the Texans rushed for just 42 yards on 17 carries against the Panthers and averaged an ineffectual 2.5 yards per carry, Phillips wasn't under consideration for duties in the running game.

"That had nothing to do with it," Texans coach David Culley said Friday morning at NRG Stadium. "It was strictly a special teams deal because of some other people we had hurt that had been special teams players for us. Scottie has been one of those guys that during the preseason that did a good job on that and because of the roster spots it worked out that he was the best fit for us to move up. But it had nothing to do with the running backs. It was strictly a situation where he came up simply because of what we needed on special teams.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

The stat geeks also don't take into account that Collins and Amendola weren't playing.
So take those single game stats, early season, with a grain of salt; like I said.
I always say stats have to have meaningful context; and there's just no way to take into accounts with this particular stats.

SportsTalk 790 - Houston's Home for Your Astros, Rockets, & Your Home Teams's Home for Your Astros, Rockets, & Your Home Teams

It would be nice to see him at Buffalo.

******************************************************************************************
Texans' Scottie Phillips was active for special-teams reasons
By Aaron WilsonSep 24, 2021

Scottie Phillips' determined, downhill running style allowed him to buck the odds to forge a spot on the Texans’ roster as the fifth running back.

It was because of a need on special teams that Phillips was active for the first time this season Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers during a loss at NRG Stadium

Phillips played seven snaps, all on special teams, against Carolina.

Although the Texans rushed for just 42 yards on 17 carries against the Panthers and averaged an ineffectual 2.5 yards per carry, Phillips wasn't under consideration for duties in the running game.

"That had nothing to do with it," Texans coach David Culley said Friday morning at NRG Stadium. "It was strictly a special teams deal because of some other people we had hurt that had been special teams players for us. Scottie has been one of those guys that during the preseason that did a good job on that and because of the roster spots it worked out that he was the best fit for us to move up. But it had nothing to do with the running backs. It was strictly a situation where he came up simply because of what we needed on special teams.”
THE REST OF THE STORY
One small step at a time.
At least, he'll get a better pay check.
Beat PS money.

Overall, have you known QBR to be completely wrong about a QB in relation to his peers in his era?

In other words, is there a case where QBR puts a Jameis Winston ahead of a Ryan Tannehill?
That's not an easy question to answer, but let's take a stab at it, shall we?

Brady was 9th in QBR.
He was ranked 2nd by both PFF and NFL QB Index

Mahomes and Watson were not unanimous.

Allen was 3rd in QBR; he was ranked 5th by both those entities.

Fitz was 5th in QBR; he was ranked 18th and 21st respectively.

I guess I just stop right there.

Edit:

Just one more:
Brees QBR 6th; ranked 20th and 19th

Overall, have you known QBR to be completely wrong about a QB in relation to his peers in his era?

In other words, is there a case where QBR puts a Jameis Winston ahead of a Ryan Tannehill?
I was wondering the same. How divergent is Passer Rating when compared to QBR?

That's not an easy question to answer, but let's take a stab at it, shall we?

Brady was 9th in QBR.
He was ranked 2nd by both PFF and NFL QB Index

Mahomes and Watson were not unanimous.

Allen was 3rd in QBR; he was ranked 5th by both those entities.

Fitz was 5th in QBR; he was ranked 18th and 21st respectively.

I guess I just stop right there.

Edit:

Just one more:
Brees QBR 6th; ranked 20th and 19th
The only thing is, QBR and Passer Rating are what is most commonly used in the media and generally known by the public.

Simply, pick one or two rankings, build a spread sheet, and week by week you can observe how a player is moving compared to his peers, within that particular rating.

Passer rating only factors completion percentage, yards, TD and INT. That's it. QBR takes a whole host of other factors into account.
That's what I'm gathering from comments. There appears to be some subjectivity to QBR. My background being in engineering, I prefer hard statistics. Short term there would be discrepancy, but the more games played, the statistics would tend to average out.

The only thing is, QBR and Passer Rating are what is most commonly used in the media and generally known by the public.

Simply, pick one or two rankings, build a spread sheet, and week by week you can observe how a player is moving compared to his peers, within that particular rating.
Well, Fitz is at no. 5.

Would you want him as your starting QB?

Thanks. I've built a simple little spreadsheet for both passer rating and QBR, for only the eight rookie quarterbacks.

Clearly, Jones starting for New England will have advantages that Mills starting for the Texans will not have.

But this will be one factor to help decide whether the Texans need to use their first pick in next years draft on a QB, or whether we can go with Mills for at least one more year.

As a bridge qb, yes, I wouldn't mind having Fitz under center. But long term, of course not; he's at the end of his 17 year career. If the choice is between Fitz and Mills, I'd go with Mills.
See, there's the flaw with QBR.

You don't trust it.

Do you really want to pay Fitz 10M (6M guaranteed) to be your bridge QB?

Back