Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Sounds like Cunningham has an issue with showing up to work on time:

The Texans had some issues with the former second-round draft pick from Vanderbilt during the preseason with lateness.

Cunningham was a no-show for a preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and missed practice sessions leading up to that game before returning to work the following week, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

At the time, Culley characterized Cunningham's absence for the preseason finale as "personal reasons."
Would not be shocked if he's traded. $1 m to new team would avg to 5 next two seasons

They've gotta find out if Mills can play Take the 4-5 win season and let's see if this young man is the future.
I would rather we see how many wins we can get up to the midway point of the season or at least close to that. If we have lost a lot of games by that point there will still be plenty of time to determine DM's future with our team.

Mills half of play was actually better than both Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson’s full day……and he hadn’t taken any reps with the first string when he entered the game. I’ll add that the Texans probably had no offense set for Mills which means it was a return to pre-season game vanilla.

I’d like to see Kelly gear the offense towards Mills comfort zone Thursday night and hopefully let the defense do the work. I’m hoping for an injury report that states bumps and bruises but can play this week.

I’d like to see Kelly gear the offense towards Mills comfort zone Thursday night
I'd like to see more rollouts, making Mills a moving target. It would also limit his reads, and speed up his processing.

We know Mills is going to be blitzed. So every play should have a hot read for him. Belichick has made his offense rookie friendly for Mac Jones. The Texans can do the same for Mills.

I'd like to see more rollouts, making Mills a moving target. It would also limit his reads, and speed up his processing.

We know Mills is going to be blitzed. So every play should have a hot read for him. Belichick has made his offense rookie friendly for Mac Jones. The Texans can do the same for Mills.
How good is Mills on roll out? We know he had minimal overall game experience in college. How much experience did he have with that type of play?

The NYJ didn't make there offense friendly for Wilson?

I’ll say this about Mills, he’s got great concentration looking at his checkdowns in the pocket…to his detriment. I don’t know how he never saw that first sack coming from his right side. He better be careful pulling out into an intersection on Houston streets is all I can say. He needs a heavy dose of roll outs and play action to get him out of the pocket until he can make quicker reads. It’ll come.

Mills half of play was actually better than both Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson’s full day……

hmm.... not what I saw

28481189-ae92-47bb-afd6-216124ec43b7_750x422.jpg

I’ll say this about Mills, he’s got great concentration looking at his checkdowns in the pocket…to his detriment. I don’t know how he never saw that first sack coming from his right side. He better be careful pulling out into an intersection on Houston streets is all I can say. He needs a heavy dose of roll outs and play action to get him out of the pocket until he can make quicker reads. It’ll come.

Pure inexperience, from the snap he was so locked in on his left that he didn't see nor feel it. The defender was on him so fast, Mills probably only had 1 second to react or the sack would have happened regardless. The other part would be the RB coming out to the right, should he have noticed it too by chipping it or just going to his route as he did?

Pure inexperience, from the snap he was so locked in on his left that he didn't see nor feel it. The defender was on him so fast, Mills probably only had 1 second to react or the sack would have happened regardless. The other part would be the RB coming out to the right, should he have noticed it too by chipping it or just going to his route as he did?

Rex Burkhead owes Mills and apology.

Mills half of play was actually better than both Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson’s full day……and he hadn’t taken any reps with the first string when he entered the game. I’ll add that the Texans probably had no offense set for Mills which means it was a return to pre-season game vanilla.

I’d like to see Kelly gear the offense towards Mills comfort zone Thursday night and hopefully let the defense do the work. I’m hoping for an injury report that states bumps and bruises but can play this week.

Better than those guys? OK, technically yeah, but that ain’t saying much. And I don’t really care about what those guys do, they don’t play for my football team.

The offense dropped to below 4 yards per play with Mills. From over 7 yards per play before. I understand it’s his 1st ever game, and all that, but dude struggled in preseason with lesser talent and more vanilla schemes.

Now he’s going up against a defense that’s been crushing QBs, and he doesn’t have much of a run game to fall back on. I don’t think it’s gonna be too pretty out there Thursday.

That could depend on the play call.
Burkhead might have been the hot route for all we know.

I would tend to believe that between Mills and Burkhead, Burkhead did what he was supposed to do and Mills didn't. Burkhead was expecting the pass to come to him quick. And if Mills had been aware, it probably would have.

With that said, I see people wringing their hands like this is some sort of unforgivable sin and experienced quarterbacks don't make this same mistake, like Mills is the only QB to not see a blitzer and get lit up without seeing it coming. I think that's just an over-reaction. Even experienced QBs have brain farts and make mistakes. The problem is, we don't know if this is something Mills can fix or if this hints at a much deeper inability to adjust to the professional level.

I think Mills has potential, but over the years, I've seen a lot of QBs who looked like they had potential not pan out. So, we'll see.

Burkhead should have checked for a blitzer before he released. He blew it, and almost got his QB smoked.

What I'm saying is that Burkhead DID check for a blitzer and he saw the blitzer. But he expected Mills to see the blitzer and on that play, Mills was supposed to drop it over the blitzer to Burkhead who, with a good throw, would have gotten good yards.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 212550.png

Burkhead is expecting the ball immediately on this play. And if Mills had seen Delpit blitzing, he would have gotten it with room to run for a bit.

At least, that's how I saw it.

What I'm saying is that Burkhead DID check for a blitzer and he saw the blitzer. But he expected Mills to see the blitzer and on that play, Mills was supposed to drop it over the blitzer to Burkhead
In most systems it is the QB who is supposed to identify the blitzer & call the hot route.

Are you saying TK2.0 uses the tailback to identify the blitzer & call the hot route, or that Davis Mills correctly identified the blitzer/hot route, but played it as if he did not?

Burkhead is expecting the ball immediately on this play. And if Mills had seen Delpit blitzing, he would have gotten it with room to run for a bit.

Burkhead wasn't the primary receiver. He was a checkdown. Burkhead should never release when there is a blindside blitzer coming in. If Mills had checked to a hot route, then sure. But Burkhead knew there was no audible. Sorry, that was a horrible blown assignment on Burkhead. You need vets to pickup their assignments 100% when a rookie is at QB.

Burkhead wasn't the primary receiver. He was a checkdown. Burkhead should never release when there is a blindside blitzer coming in. If Mills had checked to a hot route, then sure. But Burkhead knew there was no audible. Sorry, that was a horrible blown assignment on Burkhead. You need vets to pickup their assignments 100% when a rookie is at QB.
In most systems it is the QB who is supposed to identify the blitzer & call the hot route.

Are you saying TK2.0 uses the tailback to identify the blitzer & call the hot route, or that Davis Mills correctly identified the blitzer/hot route, but played it as if he did not?

OK. To me looking at this, it looks like Burkhead is running out to that flat and expecting the pass immediately. And it looks like Davis Mills is totally unaware that there's a blitzer. So, to me, Davis Mills looks like he totally messed up but maybe Burkhead shouldn't have headed out.

OK. To me looking at this, it looks like Burkhead is running out to that flat and expecting the pass immediately. And it looks like Davis Mills is totally unaware that there's a blitzer. So, to me, Davis Mills looks like he totally messed up but maybe Burkhead shouldn't have headed out.
Most likely Mills did not see the blitzer, did not call the protection to pick him up, did not call the hot route to beat it. Burkhead just running the play the way it was called. But the way it was called, Burkhead is not the 1st read if Mills doesn't see the blitzer.

Burkhead could run the play as he did, the way it was called hoping Mills sees the same thing. Or he could chip that blitzer as he's running out knowing Mills is greener than green.

Most likely Mills did not see the blitzer, did not call the protection to pick him up, did not call the hot route to beat it. Burkhead just running the play the way it was called. But the way it was called, Burkhead is not the 1st read if Mills doesn't see the blitzer.

Burkhead could run the play as he did, the way it was called hoping Mills sees the same thing. Or he could chip that blitzer as he's running out knowing Mills is greener than green.
We really have no idea how that was supposed to play out.

One of the more pleasant surprises for me this year is how well Tim Kelly has been been running the offense. At least in the first 2 games the Texans have actually been scheming receivers open. The Texans are using pics as well as anybody & we have actually seen functional screens.

If this continues I'm going to owe Kelly an apology for all the bad things I've said & thought about him.

One of the more pleasant surprises for me this year is how well Tim Kelly has been been running the offense. At least in the first 2 games the Texans have actually been scheming receivers open. The Texans are using pics as well as anybody & we have actually seen functional screens.

If this continues I'm going to owe Kelly an apology for all the bad things I've said & thought about him.
Only been two weeks, but several times he’s doing something we haven’t seen the Texans do before. Hopefully he can keep bringing new things in, changing them up & keeping defense guessing

Honestly not sure why some of y'all are defending Burkhead so hard. IMO, if that same play happened with TT in the game, y'all would be calling for him to be released immediately. I can promise you Burkhead ain't looking at film and thinking he did a great job on that play.

Also, maybe Kelly himself has been receiving better coaching from above.

Coaches improve just like players do. Belichik wasn’t the same coach in his first stint as HC with the Browns that he is now for example.

Kyle Shanahan was a much better OC with the Falcons than when he was handcuffed by the Browns and their awful culture.

Belicheck/Newsome drafted Ray Lewis and Johnathan Ogden prior to Belicheck being fired.

Would he created the dynasty he had in New England?

No. Odds are he wouldn’t had drafted Brady.

But he and Newsome were improving the Browns prior to the move.

Could Newsome and Belicheck coexisted?

When I stop & think about it how much is execution as opposed to play calling. O'Brien called screens. They just did not work.

Maybe it's Kelly plus all the other position coaches. Just an overall upgrade in coaching.
This.

Previous seasons when the Texans would run a screen, the lineman looked like they had no clue what they were doing. Screens this year look a ton different. That's coaching. Mike Devlin should be nominated to the HWSNBN team.

That blitz was well designed by the DC. I’ve seen Brady get blown up by something similar. Watson got blasted last season a few times on something similar.

What I'm saying is that Burkhead DID check for a blitzer and he saw the blitzer. But he expected Mills to see the blitzer and on that play, Mills was supposed to drop it over the blitzer to Burkhead who, with a good throw, would have gotten good yards.

View attachment 9041

Burkhead should’ve screamed the blitz was coming from the right. He should’ve known he wasn’t playing with Brady anymore. Even though I’ve seen Brady get blared like that before.

Texans lose by double digits, lose their starting QB, but still move up in the power rankings. Respect.

Rank
Houston Texans

Houston Texans
1-1
Previous rank: No. 29

Tyrod Taylor was cooking up an upset special on Sunday in Cleveland. The journeyman QB completed his first 10 passes and scored a pair of early touchdowns against the heavily favored Browns. Then, misfortune visited the star-crossed passer once again. Taylor pulled his hamstring in the final seconds of the first half -- the injury knocked him out of the game and led to a quick scratch from Thursday's Week 3 tilt against the Panthers. Texans coach David Culley was quick to dismiss any thought that Deshaun Watson could re-enter the picture, so instead it will be rookie Davis Mills getting his first career start against a thriving Carolina defense in prime time. This doesn't feel promising.

My main ding on Mills is he was very inaccurate with his throws.
If they use his comfort zone throws from college, other teams will have plenty of film on him to counter those plays too.

Texans lose by double digits, lose their starting QB, but still move up in the power rankings. Respect.
They must have confidence TT will return and guide this team to a couple more wins by season's end.
No doubt they took Texans good showing in first half into account.

INTs are coming, I can see them.
Should have been 3 Sunday. & that's not counting the one that was. I thought that was a simultaneous catch (on a poorly thrown ball) that should have gone to the receiver despite the DB being able to wrestle it away after they were down.

Back