Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Should have been 3 Sunday. & that's not counting the one that was. I thought that was a simultaneous catch (on a poorly thrown ball) that should have gone to the receiver despite the DB being able to wrestle it away after they were down.
I've been looking at them.
On the actual INT, Mills locked onto the receiver.
The LB got to the ball first.
Look at the third angle (the angle from behind the LB) if you have it.
He had his hands on the ball.
Roberts's hands were outside of the LB's.

Good- Kelly play calling ( not what I expected)
Good- Lovie Smith (not what I expected)
Bad- overall talent (expected)

Theory- as long as coaches have the buy-in from players the Texans will remain competitive. If/when players lose interest in listening it will be very evident.

Bad- overall talent (expected)

I'm impressed with Grueger Hill & Kirksey. Blacklock looks good, better than expected. Roy Lopez looks good. Omenehu looks good... Overall, I don't believe we're as talented as the Chiefs, a healthy Browns team, or a bonafide Superb Owl contender.

But I think the team is as talented as most. Not everybody has a shutdown corner, much less two. Not everybody is six deep world class athletes at the WR position. But this team, imo, meets the "avg" NFL bar, talent wise.

I'm impressed with Grueger Hill & Kirksey. Blacklock looks good, better than expected. Roy Lopez looks good. Omenehu looks good... Overall, I don't believe we're as talented as the Chiefs, a healthy Browns team, or a bonafide Superb Owl contender.

But I think the team is as talented as most. Not everybody has a shutdown corner, much less two. Not everybody is six deep world class athletes at the WR position. But this team, imo, meets the "avg" NFL bar, talent wise.

Most fans are looking for the flashy big time names. When you don’t have that, then the belief is we’re talentless.

On the offensive side: Tunsil , Britt, Brown, Cook, Howard and even Cannon are talented. Tyrod is talented, he just can’t stay healthy.

Most fans are looking for the flashy big time names. When you don’t have that, then the belief is we’re talentless.

On the offensive side: Tunsil , Britt, Brown, Cook, Howard and even Cannon are talented. Tyrod is talented, he just can’t stay healthy.
Keyword: Healthy.

I'm not sure who "most fans" are. I are not one if it means I think and have said the Texans are completely void of talent. All teams in the NFL have talented football players. I've written before, comparatively speaking the Texans on most game days this year will run up against more talented teams. My bad, I shouldn't have written "bad" earlier in this thread when describing the talent on the team. I was in a rush.

As for the guys TK mentioned, Kirksey and Kamu Grugier-Hill:

Christian Kirksey - former 3rd round pick by the Browns, 29 years old, started at ILB for the Packers last year in 11 games, had a pretty good season. Not great, not awful either. I'm not at all surprised by his start, which has been decent, not great. He's looked like the guy he has for most of his career.

KGH - former 6th round pick by the Pats (waived by the Pats before his first regular season in the NFL), 27 years old. Four years with the Eagles, one with the Dolphins. 104 solo tackles in his career on 19 starts.

Between the two of those guys, they have a combined 23 tackles in two games this year with six TFL's. Fine, I'll take it, but when I consider one of those games came against a foolish Urban Meyer with a rookie quarterback and missing it's starting running back, color me unchanged on the talent level.

In summary, I haven't changed my mind at all about where I think the Texans are, where I think they need to be and how they should go about getting there.

Now, on to the injury bug news of the day...Caserio, the McNairs and maybe Easterby have pinned their hopes (whatever that may be) on some guys that we all knew had injury question marks besides their names when they came aboard. That this issue so early in the season has reared it's ugly head should surprise no one. Now, if the hopes by the Texans brain trust is to land an early pick in the 2022 draft, the Texans look to be moving in that direction.

I'm not sure who "most fans" are. I are not one if it means I think and have said the Texans are completely void of talent. All teams in the NFL have talented football players. I've written before, comparatively speaking the Texans on most game days this year will run up against more talented teams. My bad, I shouldn't have written "bad" earlier in this thread when describing the talent on the team. I was in a rush.

As for the guys TK mentioned, Kirksey and Kamu Grugier-Hill:

Christian Kirksey - former 3rd round pick by the Browns, 29 years old, started at ILB for the Packers last year in 11 games, had a pretty good season. Not great, not awful either. I'm not at all surprised by his start, which has been decent, not great. He's looked like the guy he has for most of his career.

KGH - former 6th round pick by the Pats (waived by the Pats before his first regular season in the NFL), 27 years old. Four years with the Eagles, one with the Dolphins. 104 solo tackles in his career on 19 starts.

Between the two of those guys, they have a combined 23 tackles in two games this year with six TFL's. Fine, I'll take it, but when I consider one of those games came against a foolish Urban Meyer with a rookie quarterback and missing it's starting running back, color me unchanged on the talent level.

In summary, I haven't changed my mind at all about where I think the Texans are, where I think they need to be and how they should go about getting there.

Now, on to the injury bug news of the day...Caserio, the McNairs and maybe Easterby have pinned their hopes (whatever that may be) on some guys that we all knew had injury question marks besides their names when they came aboard. That this issue so early in the season has reared it's ugly head should surprise no one. Now, if the hopes by the Texans brain trust is to land an early pick in the 2022 draft, the Texans look to be moving in that direction.
Yet somehow they weren’t overmatched by two more talented teams.

The Jags were ranked near the bottom of the league; and that was before Etienne got injured.

It's difficult to say which team has better talents.

Secondly, the Jags are a younger team; a guy like Lawrence (and their rookies) would need a little time.

The Texans would have looked more overmatched against the Browns had Beckham played.
Also, Jarvis Landry was injured early in the game.
Mayfield also got injured but continued playing.

The Jags also choose to take it slow with their second round pick

And one of their starting CBs has been injured.

Last edited:
The Jags were ranked near the bottom of the league; and that was before Etienne got injured.

It's difficult to say which team has better talents.

Secondly, the Jags are a younger team; a guy like Lawrence (and their rookies) would need a little time.

The Texans would have looked more overmatched against the Browns had Beckham played.
Also, Jarvis Landry was injured early in the game.
Mayfield also got injured but continued playing.
So Lawrence needs time? Think maybe Mills does also?

The Jags also choose to take it slow with their second round pick

And one of their starting CBs has been injured.
Good work. Now go pull up same kind of data on the Texans and see what it looks like.

They’ve both been playing pretty well. I don’t get what you’re saying. Because these guys have been around the league, don’t let your eyes fool you into thinking they played well?

They looked pretty talented & motivated to play to me. I agree they won’t be going to the pro bowl anytime soon, but I would be very happy if they extend both of them & trade Cunningham.

You know chances of replacing every member of the defense in the upcoming draft is nil to none. I’m saying we shouldn’t be trying to find a MLB & SAM LB.

Last edited:
They’ve both been playing pretty well. I don’t get what you’re saying. Because these guys have been around the league, don’t let your eyes fool you into thinking they played well?

They looked pretty talented & motivated to play to me. I agree they won’t be going to the pro bowl anytime soon, but I would be very happy if they extend both of them & trade Cunningham.

You know chances of replacing every member of the defense in the upcoming draft is nil to none. I’m saying we shouldn’t be trying to find a MLB & SAM LB.
I didn't think I was being sneaky in my comments. The two guys you mentioned have played ok. That's prefectly fine and I don't expect, or anticipate, every player is going to be consistently above average. The problem is, the Texans are full of guys like those two - passable. Again, it's okay to have yeoman type of players but that's all they have.

If you disagree with what someone writes on this board, how about discussing it with them instead of whatever it is you're doing?

I’m pretty sure you’re reading everything I post. So you can chill out with whatever you’re trying to insinuate with this post. Like I told you on the game day thread, I wasn’t talking to you. But you just had to chime in right. Why because you’re feeling some type of way because the shoe must fit huh. I was talking to the negative Nancy who only chimed for all the negative stuff that happened in that game.

As to your point, yes I disagree with you and whoever thinks we don’t have talent. That’s false because you don’t make to that level without having talent. Now as for the talent to compete with the big dogs. They just prove they can but came up short due to the massive amount of injuries they had on Sunday. The main one being Tyrod. The Browns and all that elite talent didn’t have any type of answer him and our supposedly talentless offense. That talentless offense held both Garrett and Clowney in check.

I’m pretty sure you’re reading everything I post. So you can chill out with whatever you’re trying to insinuate with this post. Like I told you on the game day thread, I wasn’t talking to you. But you just had to chime in right. Why because you’re feeling some type of way because the shoe must fit huh. I was talking to the negative Nancy who only chimed for all the negative stuff that happened in that game.

As to your point, yes I disagree with you and whoever thinks we don’t have talent. That’s false because you don’t make to that level without having talent. Now as for the talent to compete with the big dogs. They just prove they can but came up short due to the massive amount of injuries they had on Sunday. The main one being Tyrod. The Browns and all that elite talent didn’t have any type of answer him and our supposedly talentless offense. That talentless offense held both Garrett and Clowney in check.
The Browns aren't elite though.
They might be ranked in the top 10, but that was on the strength of Beckham and Jarvis.
When they lost both, they're not top 10; at best an average team.

We didn't neutralize their pass rushers.
TT made a few things happen.
They put up some pressures; the most important one being Mills' last pass attempt.
Game over.

Just in time for Mr. Mills, the Texans next 3 games are against Carolina, Buffalo, and New England, currently 1, 2 and 3 in defensive DVOA rankings. Ain't gonna be no easing into it.
That's an early grade based on just two games, but a tough task anyway.

They might be ranked in the top 10, but that was on the strength of Beckham and Jarvis.

They put up some pressures; the most important one being Mills' last pass attempt.
Game over.

The big time media heads have them as such. They have also predicted them to take down the he mighty Patrick M and the Chiefs this season.

Last edited:
Just in time for Mr. Mills, the Texans next 3 games are against Carolina, Buffalo, and New England, currently 1, 2 and 3 in defensive DVOA rankings. Ain't gonna be no easing into it.

Yep, and if Mills struggles against these teams like Wilson did Sunday, I cant wait to see the MB overreact. It should be pure comedic genius.

Game over.
Why were the Browns 13 point favorites?

Agree.
Those that think we don't have any talent are looking at the very talented teams - not every team has that - just the fortuitous ones.
Our turn was in 2012 - now we just gotta build up to that again.

Yes.
And as it played out, Jarvis was injured early.
Tyrod put up 14 points.
The Browns won by 10.
The point is yes, they (whoever) thought the Browns would win by 13.

They considered a healthy Landry. Landry got hurt, so maybe the line shrinks to 10. But they were also considering a healthy Taylor. Him getting hurt should move the line to 16.

But even at 13, considering a healthy Landry without Beckham & a hurt Tyrod & all the Texans injuries cancelling all the Browns injuries, the line is saying the betting public, like the general public believes the talent differential is heavily in the Browns favor.

I think the original point of this argument is that that talent gap is not as big as the general/betting public believes.

The point is yes, they (whoever) thought the Browns would win by 13.

They considered a healthy Landry. Landry got hurt, so maybe the line shrinks to 10. But they were also considering a healthy Taylor. Him getting hurt should move the line to 16.

But even at 13, considering a healthy Landry without Beckham & a hurt Tyrod & all the Texans injuries cancelling all the Browns injuries, the line is saying the betting public, like the general public believes the talent differential is heavily in the Browns favor.

I think the original point of this argument is that that talent gap is not as big as the general/betting public believes.
No, they didn't consider Landry getting hurt when they set the line.
Landry was injured in the first or second series of play.

But this is likely true.
Especially after the Browns offense looked good in the loss to the Chiefs.

However, they only beat the line by 1 point in that game.
(They were a 5 points dog, but lost by 4).
The Chiefs needed a come back to win that game.

But it is most likely true that because the talking heads, in general, have been shooting down the Texans so much; they likely influenced the general bettors.

No, they didn't consider Landry getting hurt when they set the line.
Landry was injured in the first or second series of play.
I understand that. They also didn't consider Taylor getting hurt. Surely Taylor getting hurt before the third offsets Lamdry getting hurt even earlier.

I understand that. They also didn't consider Taylor getting hurt. Surely Taylor getting hurt before the third offsets Lamdry getting hurt even earlier.
Yes, and so they beat the Texans by 10, which is where I think the line should have been set at.
(If the talking heads weren't so loud on their beating down on the Texans).

Like I said, in that ranking, the Lions were ranked dead last, but the talking heads weren't beating down on them as much.

Back