Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

We have an opportunity for him to sit on the bench & learn like Rodgers did, like Mahomes did. If it were up to me, & I thought he had real potential, I’m not playing him this season.
I know I’m going way back but Aikman was thrown to the wolves. He turned out alright. I know, different scenarios but, still.

I know I’m going way back but Aikman was thrown to the wolves. He turned out alright. I know, different scenarios but, still.
If we drafted Mills in the first round I could understand wanting him to play early.

Another thing, we've got a whole new team trying to figure out what's what. & I'd want to make sure that everyone else knows what they're supposed to do, instead of having them trying to figure out what the rookie really means when he's calling plays, making adjustments at the line, changing protections, calling audibles.

There were a couple of 0 blitzes yesterday where the RB didn't even fake a block, just ran out into the pattern. Was he supposed to do that, was he the hot route, was Davis supposed to recognize the blitz & tell the RB to stay in & block?

I don't know. But because I don't know I have no idea how bad the OL is.

If you want to waste a 3rd round pick on a prospect with 1st round talent, let him play this year.

If we drafted Mills in the first round I could understand wanting him to play early.

Another thing, we've got a whole new team trying to figure out what's what. & I'd want to make sure that everyone else knows what they're supposed to do, instead of having them trying to figure out what the rookie really means when he's calling plays, making adjustments at the line, changing protections, calling audibles.

There were a couple of 0 blitzes yesterday where the RB didn't even fake a block, just ran out into the pattern. Was he supposed to do that, was he the hot route, was Davis supposed to recognize the blitz & tell the RB to stay in & block?

If you want to waste a 3rd round pick on a prospect with 1st round talent, let him play this year.

I’m not starting Mills until next year or so. There’s no need to rush him out there. I would also be looking to bring in another veteran just in case TT gets injured. Driskel has to go imo.

Just wanted to place my vote for keeping Texans' only injuries in the thread in this forum and NFL injuries in the NFL area.

Whenever I see that topic with a new message, my heart drops onto the floor.

I don't like it when my heart drops onto the floor.

Notice I posted here instead of in the Injury thread out of consideration and respect for other peoples' feelings.

I’m not starting Mills until next year or so. There’s no need to rush him out there. I would also be looking to bring in another veteran just in case TT gets injured. Driskel has to go imo.

By all expectations we're going to suck this year. If 8 games in we're out of everything, start Mills and find out what you have. Then you know what to do with your high 1 round draft pick next year. And if things go well, with a couple of others you get for Watson.

Agreed. Texans can win the same amount of games this year with either one starting, IMO. Let the kid play.
Yeah if the kid gets destroyed we can always draft QB with our first pick in 2022. The alternative would be to let him learn this year and go into 2022 as our franchise quarterback. That would allow us to use our first pick on another high priority position. Yeah go ahead and get him destroyed...

Just wanted to place my vote for keeping Texans' only injuries in the thread in this forum and NFL injuries in the NFL area.

Whenever I see that topic with a new message, my heart drops onto the floor.

I don't like it when my heart drops onto the floor.

Notice I posted here instead of in the Injury thread out of consideration and respect for other peoples' feelings.
You are such a kind and sensitive guy!

Right. You've got a team that hasn't played together much. You throw Mills out there to start while everyone is still figuring things out, and you might have Taylor end up starting anyway. I think I wait and see where things stand after 6 or 8 games or so, and re-evaluate then.

I do believe they've got to get him on the field at some point this year just to see if they absolutely have to spend a high pick on a QB next year. Maybe they feel that way anyway, but 3rd rounders have been successful in this league before.

Watt was no longer a superstar

And you know what I think of the other guy.

In the eyes of the NFL he was very much a superstar on the decline. He still made flashy type plays. He still led that defense with pressure, sacks and etc.

It’s not what we think, on the field 4 was/is a superstar quarterback in this league.

They had two legit superstars both being the face of the organization. Now the face is Tunsil.

Overall team depth between last season and this season is night and day. And if preseason has been any indication this team will be more disciplined than any OB team in terms of pre snap penalties and overall attention to detail.

That’s not to say this team just oozes talent… but i’d take 11 well coached JAGs over 10 undisciplined JAGs with one undisciplined superstar.

Overall team depth between last season and this season is night and day. And if preseason has been any indication this team will be more disciplined than any OB team in terms of pre snap penalties and overall attention to detail.

That’s not to say this team just oozes talent… but i’d take 11 well coached JAGs over 10 undisciplined JAGs with one undisciplined superstar.
Rhetorical question. I don’t have an opinion. The Texans D has been really good after halftime. I think they haven’t given up any points and allowed only around 50 yards rushing in two games And have played with energy and aggression getting sacks and interceptions. Sure, preseason, backups and all the accoutrements. Coaching adjustments? Is it in anyway a measure of depth since backups are matched with backups pretty much? It’s got to be a measure of something. I’ve seen two games this preseason with the Eagles and Packers and I don’t know why they even tried to play the second half.

This team is far less talented than last years squad .... but its far better coached too.

Culley wasn't the terrible hire many thought he was .... he might have been the right guy afterall.
After just two preseason games I’m still a skeptic of the Culley hire.

O’Brien was a terrible GM. He had some good moments as a HC. I’m very glad he’s gone though, and I’m hoping Culley is a better HC than OB. But for me, it’s going to take more than a few preseason games.

I just don't know what Culley could have done in 2 preseason games to allay your doubt. I'm not even sure that can be done over a full slate of 17 games this season. Maybe when he gets the tools we'll see what talent he has or doesn't have as a coach.
That’s just it. To claim one way or another is premature. Most of us wouldn’t judge a rookie quarterback on two preseason games. That same dose of skepticism and optimism should be applied to a rookie head coach.

It’s also, I think, appropriate to see how Culley stacks up against other head coaches hired during or around the same time frame as he was. My choice would have been Robert Saleh, so that’s the guy I’ll be comparing Culley to, right or wrong, early on in their head coaching careers.

This team is far less talented than last years squad
ESPN ranked all NFL position units individually, then gave a collective rank. Here are the results:

QB - 32 (assumed no Watson)
RB - 27
WR - 30
TE - 26
OL - 21
IDL - 31
EDGE - 27
LB - 19
CB - 17 (tops on the team)
S - 29
Overall - 32

I don't necessarily agree with each ranking. IDL may be too low and CB too high. But overall, looks about right. To be fair, there is no ranking for STs, where the Texans should be no worse than middle of the pack, and could be much better.
Shakiest: Houston Texans
This ranking assumes Deshaun Watson will not play for Houston this season, but even if he does, it doesn't change the outlook much. Houston is below average or poor at nearly every position and has arguably the league's worst offense and defense on paper. Standouts J.J. Watt, William Fuller V and Benardrick McKinney are among the key offseason departures, and the game plan for restoring the team with talent was seemingly to add as many journeymen as possible while not spending on high-end producers. It also didn't help that the Texans were the only team without a first- or second-round draft pick. Houston is in the very early stages of what figures to be a lengthy rebuild.

ESPN ranked all NFL position units individually, then gave a collective rank. Here are the results:

RB - 27
WR - 30
TE - 26
OL - 21
IDL - 31
EDGE - 27
LB - 19
S - 29
Overall - 32

I don't necessarily agree with each ranking. IDL may be too low and CB too high. But overall, looks about right. To be fair, there is no ranking for STs, where the Texans should be no worse than middle of the pack, and could be much better.

If I were Culley….bulletin board material with sign that states….”all we can do is go up and prove these arseholes wrong!!!”

s
If I were Culley….bulletin board material with sign that states….”all we can do is go up and prove these arseholes wrong!!!”
Um, I don't think he has to stick this kind of stuff in their collective face. The team knows what outside expectations are. Future earnings is what should drive a lot of these guys on 1 year deals. They have been given an opportunity few NFL teams were offering. If they are capable of an impactful response, we'll see it. "If" being the operative word.

RB - 27
WR - 30
TE - 26
OL - 21
IDL - 31
EDGE - 27
LB - 19
S - 29
Overall - 32

LB's are a little high too, I think.

Um, I don't think he has to stick this kind of stuff in their collective face. The team knows what outside expectations are. Future earnings is what should drive a lot of these guys on 1 year deals. They have been given an opportunity few NFL teams were offering. If they are capable of an impactful response, we'll see it. "If" being the operative word.
Also seems like something O'Brien would do/say. And if we know anything, you never want to go full O'Brien.

Yep, these boys have a massive opportunity ahead of them to get paid next season. I hope the final roster keeps their eyes on the final financial prize.

By all expectations we're going to suck this year. If 8 games in we're out of everything, start Mills and find out what you have. Then you know what to do with your high 1 round draft pick next year. And if things go well, with a couple of others you get for Watson.

What can you possibly learn about Mills on a team that sucks with a vet qb? Besides getting him injured or Carr'd?

What can you possibly learn about Mills on a team that sucks with a vet qb? Besides getting him injured or Carr'd?
How well he takes a punch is all I can come up with.

& I'm not opposed to seeing him on the field late in the season, but I'd rather it be about preparing him for next season & not "to see what they got."

Reactions: JB
If I were Culley….bulletin board material with sign that states….”all we can do is go up and prove these arseholes wrong!

yep and read the article everybody. We are playing our backups in these games the entire game, lol! I’m not sure if DC is the bulletin board type. For a guy that hasn’t been a HC he seems to be just that guy to inspire them that way. He gives the players freedom of expression but he maintains their respect and discipline with comments like “ the players will determine who the starters will be”. And my favorite. When asked if cuts will be hard since this is his first group as a HC he didn’t hesitate saying “ nope. This is the NFL. They know what they’re getting into.” Respect, but be cold about what you expect…period. He knows his odds against the NFL this year, but Team Team Team like his shirts say is the ONLY way to get through it.

I'm seeing Whitney Mercilus on PapaJohn commercials
That's really the most, maybe the only recognizable name on the Texans roster today for many folks in Houston who follow the team (or maybe just follow the NFL). It's amazing how this team has been gutted, this truly is a defacto xpansion team.

That's really the most, maybe the only recognizable name on the Texans roster today for many folks in Houston who follow the team (or maybe just follow the NFL). It's amazing how this team has been gutted, this truly is a defacto xpansion team.

This is what a rebuild looks like. Did you know who Owen Daniels was when he was drafted? When they get a high pick in next yrs draft the full rebuild will be well underway. Best case is they find out Mills/Collins/Lopez/Jordan can play and I wouldn't bet against it, but if Mills in particular shows he's a future franchise QB this yr then regardless of record this season is a win. IMHO Example: Justin Herbert, you can have a bad record and still be in good shape for the future.

I'm seeing Whitney Mercilus on PapaJohn commercials
That's because Merci's dead money is crazy high if cut..of course he could be gone {like Papa John hisself} in a trade but the pizza company has him for a season as his remaining contract years voided...

Seems like after Hop and DW they would be a bit smarter on whom they pay to rep their company. Why not Justin Reid and Omenihu?

Just me being silly but I'm going to wait 3-5 regular games to see who have made the team and how many injured we have..

That’s just it. To claim one way or another is premature. Most of us wouldn’t judge a rookie quarterback on two preseason games. That same dose of skepticism and optimism should be applied to a rookie head coach.

It’s also, I think, appropriate to see how Culley stacks up against other head coaches hired during or around the same time frame as he was. My choice would have been Robert Saleh, so that’s the guy I’ll be comparing Culley to, right or wrong, early on in their head coaching careers.
We got a third round QB and a third round coach and both looking okay for my expectations so far. I hope to see more of that third round WR soon..

RB - 27
WR - 30
TE - 26
OL - 21
IDL - 31
EDGE - 27
LB - 19
S - 29
Overall - 32

Yikes! If our corners as is are 17th in NFL, I will have to change my underwear.

It’s called retooling not rebuilding. :shades: And no this is not an expansion team.
What does a rebuild look like in your eyes?

To me, retooling the roster is making a few adjustments, bringing in a few free agents, maybe adding a wrinkle or two to offense and/or defense. In one offseason, the Texans replaced their GM; replaced their head coach; made 70+ personnel/roster changes; implemented a new defensive scheme, under the guidance of a new defensive coordinator; replaced their quarterback…

If this isn’t a team in the infancy of a rebuild, I don’t know what a rebuild looks like. Next offseason will bring more deep cuts to the roster. The O’Brien era is over. This new ensemble of coaches and upper management has no problem releasing players that are holdovers from Bill’s time here. From Watt to Isaiah Coulter, they gone.

Last edited:
It’s called retooling not rebuilding. :shades: And no this is not an expansion team.
Retooling is when you have a contending team and you add a free agent or 2 here or there in an effort to keep you in contention. Rebuilding is when you bring in 50+ new players.

And it may not be an expansion team, but all these 3rd tier FA players that were brought in sure makes it feel like we had an expansion draft.

Back