Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

If Taylor doesn't last, what makes you think Mills will?

F'ing awesome!!!! I didn't see any cones or broad jump pits at Lambeau last Saturday, but this is great!!!!
Mills only needs to last long enough to show he is the future without undergoing significant injury that would cancel that future.

F'ing awesome!!!! I didn't see any cones or broad jump pits at Lambeau last Saturday, but this is great!!!!

Exactly.. and this is why the combine gets a bad wrap.

It can be worthwhile information for cross referencing on-field performance. But without on-field performance it's just a bunch of numbers.

Watson's numbers translate on the field to escapability, extending plays, and dual-threat athleticism.

Mills' numbers translate to something missing completely.

Interesting to read back to Watson's 1st preseason game.

"You can’t watch the Texans play without envisioning Deshaun Watson as a legitimate franchise quarterback someday, even if it’s not right now. He led two scoring drives, including a dink-and-dunk, 15-play, 75-yard march that culminated in his 15-yard rushing touchdown, making the quick, decisive short throws that don’t earn style points but are essential to operating an offense at the pro level. However, he did have a few moments where he looked lost, sailing some throws to open receivers, especially down the field, confirming pre-draft concerns about his accuracy. Even on plays where he wasn’t pressured and had his feet set, he sometimes just missed dudes. Though he didn’t get picked off this go-around, if he keeps shooting with the buckshot spread he displayed Wednesday, he’s going to get intercepted a lot. But like Jon Gruden, I don’t care about that stuff right now. I just want to be around the guy."
link

Exactly.. and this is why the combine gets a bad wrap.

It can be worthwhile information for cross referencing on-field performance. But without on-field performance it's just a bunch of numbers.

Watson's numbers translate on the field to escapability, extending plays, and dual-threat athleticism.

Mills' numbers translate to something missing completely.

The POS numbers translated into 4 wins last yr. Just a bunch of meaningless numbers. I'm actually going to enjoy watching Taylor and Mills who use running as a last resort.

"You can’t watch the Texans play without envisioning Deshaun Watson as a legitimate franchise quarterback someday, even if it’s not right now. He led two scoring drives, including a dink-and-dunk, 15-play, 75-yard march that culminated in his 15-yard rushing touchdown, making the quick, decisive short throws that don’t earn style points but are essential to operating an offense at the pro level. However, he did have a few moments where he looked lost, sailing some throws to open receivers, especially down the field, confirming pre-draft concerns about his accuracy. Even on plays where he wasn’t pressured and had his feet set, he sometimes just missed dudes. Though he didn’t get picked off this go-around, if he keeps shooting with the buckshot spread he displayed Wednesday, he’s going to get intercepted a lot. But like Jon Gruden, I don’t care about that stuff right now. I just want to be around the guy."
link

A fair assessment of the POS 4 yrs into his career. Except I dont just want to be around the guy. In fact I want to be around him as much as a masuesse likes giving him the oily Watson.

If Taylor doesn't last, what makes you think Mills will?

I'm not sure any of them will. It's highly probable we don't have our future starting QB on the roster yet. I've been predicting a QB merry-go-round this season for a while now.

link
After Watson's first preseason. Some posters (not you) were saying Nate Peterman looked like the better QB.

Last edited:
I like Mills, I think he can develop into something good over time. Taylor look pretty good out there, I like Phillips too. Still going to be a rough season, about to find out how good of a coach we have.

313e7d108566321.5fc0595e98c89.jpg

Apparently no one in the Kirby offices realizes THIS SEASON (2021) is the Texans 20th season.

The POS numbers translated into 4 wins last yr. Just a bunch of meaningless numbers. I'm actually going to enjoy watching Taylor and Mills who use running as a last resort.
I know you don't really care for stats. But, in the three seasons that Taylor started and played significant snaps he had 104, 95, and 84 rushes. In four years, Watson had 36, 99, 82 and 90 rushes.

Unless he changes his style, Taylor might be running just as frequently as the previous starting QB.

Last edited:
Don’t know the reason for that logo. Didn’t see the word seasons on it. Is there a difference? As long as the clock says 2021 it’s not 20 seasons/years yet

The post you quoted said seasons not years

Doesn’t matter. Most folks , I assume, like me just take it to mean from 2002 to 2022 In terms of days/minutes/seconds that is 00:00:00 2002 to 00:00:00 2022 ( seconds have a beginning and end). But that is too technical. otherwise take your seasons… 2021 season starts in 2021 but WILL end in 2022. So the logo is correct for seasons or years. But it does present a chance for the less observant to take yet another shot without actual understanding.

Doesn’t matter. Most folks , I assume, like me just take it to mean from 2002 to 2022 In terms of days/minutes/seconds that is 00:00:00 2002 to 00:00:00 2022 ( seconds have a beginning and end). But that is too technical. otherwise take your seasons… 2021 season starts in 2021 but WILL end in 2022. So the logo is correct for seasons or years. But it does present a chance for the less observant to take yet another shot without actual understanding.
1629513689649.png

Understood on both accounts. Not really worth bickering over. As long as the season passes over Jan 1 it will always be a sticking point.

Minutiae.

Most folks think this is 2021. Some believe in a 4-6 year difference if we're basing it off the life of christ.

I'm just saying...

The clock has nothing to do with it. Their 20th season opener will be September 12, 2021. 2021 is their 20th season. How is that so ******* difficult? I swear, some of y’all just seem to want to argue for the sake of arguing.

The clock has nothing to do with it. Their 20th season opener will be September 12, 2021. 2021 is their 20th season. How is that so ******* difficult? I swear, some of y’all just seem to want to argue for the sake of arguing.
Lol why is this so difficult for you? I’ve never seen the logo before you posted it but JB said it stands for seasons, not openers. See that REAL big 20. Texans are celebrating their 20th season…got it? See the little 2002 and 2022? Those FULL 20 seasons will span within the calendar years 2002-2022 (Texans have a couple of games in 2022, right?) But I digress.

Lol why is this so difficult for you? I’ve never seen the logo before you posted it but JB said it stands for seasons, not openers. See that REAL big 20. Texans are celebrating their 20th season…got it? See the little 2002 and 2022? Those FULL 20 seasons will span within the calendar years 2002-2022 (Texans have a couple of games in 2022, right?) But I digress.

**** it. I give up. I've had better conversations with a bag of hammers.

Season 01--2002---------Season 11--2012
Season 02--2003---------Season 12--2013
Season 03--2004---------Season 13--2014
Season 04--2005---------Season 14--2015
Season 05--2006---------Season 15--2016
Season 06--2007---------Season 16--2017
Season 07--2008---------Season 17--2018
Season 08--2009---------Season 18--2019
Season 09--2010---------Season 19--2020
Season 10--2011---------Season 20--2021

The Texans are infallible under Easterby's divine leadership.

Last edited:
Texans’ Charlie Heck: Most ‘improved’ player on roster
By Aaron WilsonAug 20, 2021

Charlie Heck, the Texans’ towering offensive tackle, arrived at training camp with a new body and a different mentality.

At 6-foot-8, 308 pounds, Heck has restructured his body and added a lot of lean muscle through long hours in the weight room with Texans strength and conditioning coach Mike Eubanks. Heck supplemented that with extra workouts with Billy Voltaire of Volt PT, doing Olympic lifts at Kinitro Fitness alongside veteran center Justin Britt and offensive tackle-guard Tytus Howard.

After struggling with the speed of the game as a rookie, Heck has improved dramatically and is playing with better movement, technique and confidence. Heck is a strong candidate to be the Texans’ starting right tackle when the season opens against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and coach David Culley called him the most improved player on the roster.

THE REST OF THE STORY

“When I came here and this staff came here, and we went in to our OTAs and went into our offseason program, I don’t know if there is a player on the team who improved as much as Charlie did from the start to this point right now,” Culley said. “And that’s not surprising because he has a great work ethic. He’s going into that year now where you want to see that progress made, and we’re starting to see that. And that’s what happens when you do what he did to be in the position that he’s in right now.”

Heck winning the starting job depends partially on a scenario where Howard could stay at his natural right tackle spot if Lane Taylor recovers in time from a torn ACL to play right guard and have Max Scharping play left guard with Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil slated to return later this month from the reserve-COVID-19 list after testing positive. Or the Texans could go with Tunsil and Howard on the left side, Britt at center, Scharping at right guard and Heck at right tackle, especially since right tackle Marcus Cannon is still on the active-physically unable to perform list after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery in the offseason and injuring his calf.

The current configuration is Geron Christian at left tackle again against the Dallas Cowboyson Saturday nightat AT&T Stadium with Scharping at right guard, Justin McCray at left guard and Heck again at right tackle after starting against the Green Bay Packers.

**** it. I give up. I've had better conversations with a bag of hammers.
You have EVERY reason to give up. That is the simplest logo on earth to understand. It’s like the Houston chronicle that sets its writing at a tenth grade reading level. Maybe you should seek help if you are talking to hammers?

Thought you couldn’t make any religious statements here?
It's not. Talking about the Texans executive VP. I think he's a charlatan, as well. But, that's my opinion.

Actually, I'm talking about those that get their back hair up anytime a poster questions or critiques the Texans front office and management. And why they may do so.

Season 01--2002---------Season 11--2012
Season 02--2003---------Season 12--2013
Season 03--2004---------Season 13--2014
Season 04--2005---------Season 14--2015
Season 05--2006---------Season 15--2016
Season 06--2007---------Season 16--2017
Season 07--2008---------Season 17--2018
Season 08--2009---------Season 18--2019
Season 09--2010---------Season 19--2020
Season 10--2011---------Season 20--2021
Lol, each of those seasons carry into the following year. Simple example, 2021 ends in 2022. They won’t have the 20th season completed until 2022. it’s simply combining the seasons and the years they spanned. Separate concepts. Do any of your one year contracts you may sign end at the end of the year If you sign them in September? Contract will still show 2021 and 2022 within the contract. Maybe this will help. Let’s make a logo for this coming 2021 winter. winter season (concept 1)runs from Dec-Feb. the logo will have a real big 1 for the season and the calendar years (concept 2) will show 2021 and 2022. They are stating different concepts. That’s all. Otherwise the logo would just show 2021 if you combine them.

Last edited:
Texans’ Charlie Heck: Most ‘improved’ player on roster
By Aaron WilsonAug 20, 2021

Charlie Heck, the Texans’ towering offensive tackle, arrived at training camp with a new body and a different mentality.

At 6-foot-8, 308 pounds, Heck has restructured his body and added a lot of lean muscle through long hours in the weight room with Texans strength and conditioning coach Mike Eubanks. Heck supplemented that with extra workouts with Billy Voltaire of Volt PT, doing Olympic lifts at Kinitro Fitness alongside veteran center Justin Britt and offensive tackle-guard Tytus Howard.

After struggling with the speed of the game as a rookie, Heck has improved dramatically and is playing with better movement, technique and confidence. Heck is a strong candidate to be the Texans’ starting right tackle when the season opens against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and coach David Culley called him the most improved player on the roster.

THE REST OF THE STORY

“When I came here and this staff came here, and we went in to our OTAs and went into our offseason program, I don’t know if there is a player on the team who improved as much as Charlie did from the start to this point right now,” Culley said. “And that’s not surprising because he has a great work ethic. He’s going into that year now where you want to see that progress made, and we’re starting to see that. And that’s what happens when you do what he did to be in the position that he’s in right now.”

Heck winning the starting job depends partially on a scenario where Howard could stay at his natural right tackle spot if Lane Taylor recovers in time from a torn ACL to play right guard and have Max Scharping play left guard with Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil slated to return later this month from the reserve-COVID-19 list after testing positive. Or the Texans could go with Tunsil and Howard on the left side, Britt at center, Scharping at right guard and Heck at right tackle, especially since right tackle Marcus Cannon is still on the active-physically unable to perform list after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery in the offseason and injuring his calf.

The current configuration is Geron Christian at left tackle again against the Dallas Cowboyson Saturday nightat AT&T Stadium with Scharping at right guard, Justin McCray at left guard and Heck again at right tackle after starting against the Green Bay Packers.
I mentioned this as one reason for my optimism for the offensive line. If Heck can hold down the RT position, this allows Howard to move to LG, solidifying the left side. RG would be a contest between an improved Scharping and veterans Taylor and Cannon.

With Campen now coaching this unit, I'm optimistic we're going to see much improved line play, better run blocking and better pass protection.

You have EVERY reason to give up. That is the simplest logo on earth to understand. It’s like the Houston chronicle that sets its writing at a tenth grade reading level. Maybe you should seek help if you are talking to hammers?
Lol, each of those seasons carry into the following year. Simple example, 2021 ends in 2022. They won’t have the 20th season completed until 2022. it’s simply combining the seasons and the years they spanned. Separate concepts. Do any of your one year contracts you may sign end at the end of the year If you sign them in September? Contract will still show 2021 and 2022 within the contract. Maybe this will help. Let’s make a logo for this coming 2021 winter. winter season (concept 1)runs from Dec-Feb. the logo will have a real big 1 for the season and the calendar years (concept 2) will show 2021 and 2022. They are stating different concepts. That’s all. Otherwise the logo would just show 2021 if you combine them.

Yes hammers, I know. But they're out there and they get to vote too.

You're trying too hard

I mentioned this as one reason for my optimism for the offensive line. If Heck can hold down the RT position, this allows Howard to move to LG, solidifying the left side. RG would be a contest between an improved Scharping and veterans Taylor and Cannon.

With Campen now coaching this unit, I'm optimistic we're going to see much improved line play, better run blocking and better pass protection.

The trenches…..that’s where it’s at for me. I think Caserio brought in enough OL bodies (same for defensive bodies) for the new coaching staff to find their starting 5 and backups. I really like the approach to this off-season and it appears that both the OL and defensive front seven (the 4-3 that I’ve been asking for over the last 10+ seasons) could be much improved over last years unit(s).

Back