Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

The trenches…..that’s where it’s at for me. I think Caserio brought in enough OL bodies (same for defensive bodies) for the new coaching staff to find their starting 5 and backups. I really like the approach to this off-season and it appears that both the OL and defensive front seven (the 4-3 that I’ve been asking for over the last 10+ seasons) could be much improved over last years unit(s).

This OL has more quality depth than any unit the Texans have ever brought to training camp. I just hope we get to see Taylor/Cannon before the season starts. If one or both are not the player we thought we were acquiring i’d like the staff to find out before the regular season.

Geron Christian and Charlie Heck are two quality swing tackles that give this team much needed flexibility in configuring the OL/deciding where to stick Howard.

This OL has more quality depth than any unit the Texans have ever brought to training camp. I just hope we get to see Taylor/Cannon before the season starts. If one or both are not the player we thought we were acquiring i’d like the staff to find out before the regular season.

Geron Christian and Charlie Heck are two quality swing tackles that give this team much needed flexibility in configuring the OL/deciding where to stick Howard.
Releasing Roderick Johnston so soon would seem to indicate that the Texans talent & depth and comfort level with their personnel at
offensive tackle in particular has improved.
Guess with Tunsil still out with Covid we will get an opportunity to see Geron Christian tonight.
I dunno maybe Casserios hiring of new OLine coach James Campen is already starting to pay-off ?

From Australia to NFL: long journey for Texans' Cameron Johnston
Aug 21, 2021

ARLINGTON -- The long pathway for Cameron Johnston booming punts with incredible hangtime in the NFL was separated by continents.

The distance fromthe Texans’ new punter’s hometown, Geelong in the state of Victoria in Australia, a port city located on Corio Bay and the Barwon River southwest of Melbourne, to Houston: 9,018 miles.

Long before the former Australian rules football player emerged as one of the top punters in the NFL, Johnston had to accept that it was time to walk away from the sport he grew up loving.

After being drafted by the Melbourne Football Club and playing sparingly for the Casey Scorpions, an affiliate lower division team, Johnston was delisted by the club at the age of 19. He decided to take up American football in 2012.
Mentored by prolific coach Nathan Chapman at Prokick Australia, Johnston listened closely and went from a novice with minimal knowledge in 2012 of how to punt a football to earn a scholarship to Ohio State where he became the Big Ten Conference Punter of the Year and a finalist for the Ray Guy award.

Now, Johnston is playing for the Texans after earning his second NFL contract, a three-year, $8 million deal signed this spring as the replacement for Bryan Anger.

Johnston credits Chapman, a former Green Bay Packers punter who has worked with Jordan Berry and Michael Dickson, among several others, for his strong development as a punter.

“I’m loving it,” said Johnston, who had a 47.0 career average with the Philadelphia Eaglesbefore joining the Texans. “It was the best decision I’ve ever made to come over here. It’s all because of Nathan Chapman. He does an amazing job. There was no pathway for guys over there and he created one.”

Beyond Chapman’s expert tutelage, strong willpower and a powerful leg have propelled Johnston, 29, to this stage of his football career.

At 5-foot-11, 194 pounds, Johnston is packed with muscle and delivers soaring punts. He never seems to get tired and he has an aggressive mentality on punt coverage.

]“He puts on a show out there for sure,” Texans kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn said. “Punting and his leg strength, he's got that Aussie strength. So, it's fun to watch.”

Johnston is smaller in stature than long snapperJon Weeks is accustomed to, causing him to alter his trajectory on snaps. They’re getting into sync quickly, though.

“A great punter, strong leg, has all the kicks,” Weeks said. “Might be the shortest punter I've ever snapped to. Most of my guys have been kind of big.

"My adjustment, if I'm being 100 percent honest, was just learning to change the release point a little bit. But it's been a seamless transition. Cam is fantastic to work with. I'm looking forward to the season Cam is going to have for us.”

Signed to a contract that includes $3 million guaranteed with a $1 million signing bonus, Johnston had a 46.7 average last season. Instead of being retained with a restricted free agent tender after a 41.87 net average the past three seasons, Johnston hit free agency. Texans first-year general manager Nick Caserio moved quickly, reaching a fast agreement with Johnston to join the AFC South franchise.

“That’s the goal,” Johnston said. “You want to get to the second contract and just keep playing well. Every year you get to keep playing is an amazing thing. I just want to keep getting better every day.”

Now, Johnston is thenew holder for Fairbairn andenjoying working with him, Weeks and special-teams coordinator Frank Ross.

“Just to play for coach Ross, he's amazing,” Johnston said. “What he was selling with the guys when he got down here, the speed on the outside, it's incredible to come down and be able to work with Jon and Ka'imi. It's a good time to be down here.”

Johnson won a national championship with the Buckeyes in 2014 and became an All-Big Ten Conference selection after being named a second-team freshman All-American. He averaged 44.9 yards per punt during his four years in Columbus, Ohio.

At the NFL scouting combine, Johnston ran the 40-yard dash in 4.92 seconds. He still went undrafted before signing with the Eagles. He had to adjust his mechanics. While he flashed natural ability, Johnston was cut by the Eagles during his first try at the NFL.

So, Johnston returned to Australia to work out with Chapman to upgrade his fundamentals.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Lovie Smith’s defensive mentality: Take the football away
By Aaron WilsonAug 21, 2021

ARLINGTON – Lovie Smith nodded his head vigorously and clenched his fist on the sideline, gestures of strong approval from the plainspoken, white-bearded veteran Texans defensive coordinator.

Watching the Texans’ defense take the football away three times against the Green Bay Packers a week ago at Lambeau Field, Smith saw proof that his teaching is leaving an imprint on the minds of his overhauled defense.
Smith knows what it’s supposed to look like. The former Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach has coached everyone from Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher in his trademark 4-3 defense.
After taking over the NFL’s 30th-ranked defense from last season, a unit that lacked aggressiveness and cohesiveness, Smith is optimistic about what he’s seeing.

One year after the Texans had just nine takeaways on three interceptions and six fumble recoveries to rank last in the NFL in that statistical category, the Texans were extremely opportunistic during a 26-7 preseason opening victory at Green Bay.

Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson had two fumble recoveries, including one on a sack-strip from defensive end Jon Greenard. And cornerback Tremon Smith intercepted a high Kurt Benkert pass and tapped his toes on the sideline like a wide receiver to remain inbounds.

This is what Smith has been hoping for as he’s imparted knowledge and techniques about how to develop a strategy for getting the football as the Texans prepare for their second preseason game Saturday night against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium.

“We have a basic philosophy on how we want to play football,” Smith said. “Yeah, we want to stop the run, we want to be sound and all those things. They determine the winner by how many points you score and that’s one of our goals on defensively to score as often as possible, just like on offense. And if we can’t score, it’s about taking the ball away. It’s not a good defensive game unless you’ve done more than make a tackle. Takeaways are important and if you’ve been at practice, you’ve seen guys buying into that.

I think it’s a mindset. We as a defense, you can’t wait for the offense to turn the ball over you have to take it away. So on defense, first off, the philosophy that it’s a takeaway. You have to take the ball away on the defensive side and then you got to practice it. Simple as that. You just have to keep practicing it, like you practice tackling, like a receiver practice catching the ball. All of those things.”

Toward that goal, Smith has developed a system for how to track turnovers and attempts to create them.
What that means is constantly trying to punch the football out of offensive players’ hands and disrupt passing lanes to create interceptions.

“That’s been an emphasis in every meeting,” said veteran safety Justin Reid, who has five career interceptions and no interceptions last season. “We have target goals on how many times we even want to punch the ball. This is the first time I’ve seen it where we’re tracking just strip attempts, punch attempts, tracking all of that. Really trying to put an emphasis on guys to go after the ball and create turnovers, because those are game-changing situations.

“Last year, the defense, it just wasn’t tight enough. Too many holes, too many pitch-and-catches. We tried to put some emphasis on the ball, but we didn’t do a good enough job last year. Plain and simple.”
Twice with the St. Louis Rams as defensive coordinator and once as the Bears’ head coach, Smith’s defenses have led the NFL in takeaways. Against the Packers, the Texans looked fired up with something to prove and the results reflected that mentality.

“I think it was a matter of us just running to the ball,” Johnson said. “I know that’s what our coaches have been harping on the entire training camp: just running to the ball and giving effort. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. It’s just a measure of us playing hard. I don’t think it’s anything special. It’s us going out there and doing our thing and playing hard.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

Last edited:
SportsTalk 790 - Houston's Home for Your Astros, Rockets, & Your Home Teams's Home for Your Astros, Rockets, & Your Home Teams

Houston Sports NewsLovie Smith’s defensive mentality: Take the football away
By Aaron WilsonAug 21, 2021

ARLINGTON – Lovie Smith nodded his head vigorously and clenched his fist on the sideline, gestures of strong approval from the plainspoken, white-bearded veteran Texans defensive coordinator.
Watching the Texans’ defense take the football away three times against the Green Bay Packers a week ago at Lambeau Field, Smith saw proof that his teaching is leaving an imprint on the minds of his overhauled defense.
Smith knows what it’s supposed to look like. The former Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach has coached everyone from Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and Brian Urlacher in his trademark 4-3 defense.
After taking over the NFL’s 30th-ranked defense from last season, a unit that lacked aggressiveness and cohesiveness, Smith is optimistic about what he’s seeing.
One year after the Texans had just nine takeaways on three interceptions and six fumble recoveries to rank last in the NFL in that statistical category, the Texans were extremely opportunistic during a 26-7 preseason opening victory at Green Bay.
Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson had two fumble recoveries, including one on a sack-strip from defensive end Jon Greenard. And cornerback Tremon Smith intercepted a high Kurt Benkert pass and tapped his toes on the sideline like a wide receiver to remain inbounds.
This is what Smith has been hoping for as he’s imparted knowledge and techniques about how to develop a strategy for getting the football as the Texans prepare for their second preseason game Saturday night against the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium.
Houston Texans v Green Bay Packers

Photo: Getty Images

“We have a basic philosophy on how we want to play football,” Smith said. “Yeah, we want to stop the run, we want to be sound and all those things. They determine the winner by how many points you score and that’s one of our goals on defensively to score as often as possible, just like on offense. And if we can’t score, it’s about taking the ball away. It’s not a good defensive game unless you’ve done more than make a tackle. Takeaways are important and if you’ve been at practice, you’ve seen guys buying into that.

I think it’s a mindset. We as a defense, you can’t wait for the offense to turn the ball over you have to take it away. So on defense, first off, the philosophy that it’s a takeaway. You have to take the ball away on the defensive side and then you got to practice it. Simple as that. You just have to keep practicing it, like you practice tackling, like a receiver practice catching the ball. All of those things.”

Toward that goal, Smith has developed a system for how to track turnovers and attempts to create them.
What that means is constantly trying to punch the football out of offensive players’ hands and disrupt passing lanes to create interceptions.

“That’s been an emphasis in every meeting,” said veteran safety Justin Reid, who has five career interceptions and no interceptions last season. “We have target goals on how many times we even want to punch the ball. This is the first time I’ve seen it where we’re tracking just strip attempts, punch attempts, tracking all of that. Really trying to put an emphasis on guys to go after the ball and create turnovers, because those are game-changing situations.

“Last year, the defense, it just wasn’t tight enough. Too many holes, too many pitch-and-catches. We tried to put some emphasis on the ball, but we didn’t do a good enough job last year. Plain and simple.”
Twice with the St. Louis Rams as defensive coordinator and once as the Bears’ head coach, Smith’s defenses have led the NFL in takeaways. Against the Packers, the Texans looked fired up with something to prove and the results reflected that mentality.

“I think it was a matter of us just running to the ball,” Johnson said. “I know that’s what our coaches have been harping on the entire training camp: just running to the ball and giving effort. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. It’s just a measure of us playing hard. I don’t think it’s anything special. It’s us going out there and doing our thing and playing hard.”
THE REST OF THE STORY
Yeh, I'm really pumped on what's happening on defense. You're going to see the best defensive play since the 2011 Wade Phillips defense. Call me optimistic.

I dunno Lovie Smith kinda seemed to have a presence about him on the SL, as I watched him last weekend in Green Bay.
He seemed very composed, even poised and not the rah-rah type coach we often see running a defense.
With that long bright white beard, almost looked like somebody right out of central casting in Hollywood. cool looking dude.

Exactly.. and this is why the combine gets a bad wrap.

It can be worthwhile information for cross referencing on-field performance. But without on-field performance it's just a bunch of numbers.

Watson's numbers translate on the field to escapability, extending plays, and dual-threat athleticism.

Mills' numbers translate to something missing completely.
I'm just hope that that something missing completely develops into NFL defensive tacklers.

I dunno Lovie Smith kinda seemed to have a presence about him on the SL, as I watched him last weekend in Green Bay.
He seemed very composed, even poised and not the rah-rah type coach we often see running a defense.
With that long bright white beard, almost looked like somebody right out of central casting in Hollywood. cool looking dude.
Players are raving about this coaching staff. Hargreaves loved it that the coaches let them be themselves while still maintaining discipline. Seems every player on D loves the system. Everyone from last year indicated that they were playing out of their natural position last year. Jacob Martin, one of my favorite players, Texas cowboy too, said he was drafted as a DE and is pumped to play the position again. What’s interesting is the players are saying Lovie hasn’t opened up much of the D yet. Played only base D last game. I’m happy. All I was hoping for this year was a clean and positive change from the past‘s annual funk. Whole new professional paradigm. It’s just second Game in but these Coaches have to find a way to build on that first game.

I mentioned this as one reason for my optimism for the offensive line. If Heck can hold down the RT position, this allows Howard to move to LG, solidifying the left side. RG would be a contest between an improved Scharping and veterans Taylor and Cannon.

With Campen now coaching this unit, I'm optimistic we're going to see much improved line play, better run blocking and better pass protection.
Is this and hopefully a running back who does not always need Premier blocking.

Releasing Roderick Johnston so soon would seem to indicate that the Texans talent & depth and comfort level with their personnel at
offensive tackle in particular has improved.
Guess with Tunsil still out with Covid we will get an opportunity to see Geron Christian tonight.
I dunno maybe Casserios hiring of new OLine coach James Campen is already starting to pay-off ?

Just firing the last OL “coach” is paying off!

lol

Is this and hopefully a running back who does not always need Premier blocking.
I'm hoping, just hoping, that Philip Lindsay can be that RB. I see him potentially as having the running style of a Tony Dorsett, though certainly not expecting him to be as great. He's about the same physical size of Dorsett, a little shorter but a little heavier. Dorsett ran the 40 in the 4.3's and Lindsay is just under 4.4 at about 4.39, so may be a half step slower. Lindsay needs to show he can stay on the field and needs to be limited to 20 - 25 carries a game, so needs to be part of a two back tandem.

I'll be watching him tonight.

Y
I'm hoping, just hoping, that Philip Lindsay can be that RB. I see him potentially as having the running style of a Tony Dorsett, though certainly not expecting him to be as great. He's about the same physical size of Dorsett, a little shorter but a little heavier. Dorsett ran the 40 in the 4.3's and Lindsay is just under 4.4 at about 4.39, so may be a half step slower. Lindsay needs to show he can stay on the field and needs to be limited to 20 - 25 carries a game, so needs to be part of a two back tandem.

I'll be watching him tonight.
Yep but I just want someone to step up at each spot and don't care who.

Lol, so the 20 seasons weren't played in the years 2002-2022. ok. But you need to check to see if seasons span across the new year. Hint, 2002-2022 is talking years, not seasons. That big 20 refers to the seasons That, btw aren’t complete at year end. Lol.

The trenches…..that’s where it’s at for me. I think Caserio brought in enough OL bodies (same for defensive bodies) for the new coaching staff to find their starting 5 and backups. I really like the approach to this off-season and it appears that both the OL and defensive front seven (the 4-3 that I’ve been asking for over the last 10+ seasons) could be much improved over last years unit(s).
I remember thinking the same thing this time last season.

Then BO’b BO’bed it, got himself fired, barely saw Greenard or Blacklock & the snowball snowballed.

I remember thinking the same thing this time last season.

Then BO’b BO’bed it, got himself fired, barely saw Greenard or Blacklock & the snowball snowballed.
Both of those players were very vocal about how the lack of a preseason hurt their development and Greenard was another of those players playing out of position.

Politics? Do you mean the COVID absence or the fact he was a carryover from last year? He may have been quality depth last year But I easily see him not making this roster.
I mean coaches picking their guys because they are their guys. I truly hope they cut RJ because the other guys are better.

Both of those players were very vocal about how the lack of a preseason hurt their development and Greenard was another of those players playing out of position.
The point is the same neither played much all year. Lack of preseason excuse wears thin after four or five weeks

I know you don't really care for stats. But, in the three seasons that Taylor started and played significant snaps he had 104, 95, and 84 rushes. In four years, Watson had 36, 99, 82 and 90 rushes.

Unless he changes his style, Taylor might be running just as frequently as the previous starting QB.

Yes, but Taylor wont be the long time answer at QB. We will just have to endure this 1 more yr instead of a decade.

It's not. Talking about the Texans executive VP. I think he's a charlatan, as well. But, that's my opinion.

Actually, I'm talking about those that get their back hair up anytime a poster questions or critiques the Texans front office and management. And why they may do so.
Doesn't matter

You do have a thing where you dont seem to like religious people much.

Yeh, I'm really pumped on what's happening on defense. You're going to see the best defensive play since the 2011 Wade Phillips defense. Call me optimistic.
One of the things that always drove me crazy about Clowney. The guy would be a step away from the QB and with his long arms, you would think he would have more strip sacks. I don't know if it was lack of coordination or coaching, but he rarely tried to strip the ball from the QB. It's good to see two strip sacks in two games for the Texans.

I haven't seen it in a regular season game yet. Heck looked good last season when he was in. On the right side. You ever see him on the left?
Seen him on the left a handful last season II RC but as I expect him to play on the right I'm not that concerned.

Seen him on the left a handful last season II RC but as I expect him to play on the right I'm not that concerned.
If he starts, then yes. They think he’s better than RJohnson, no question.

But if he doesn’t, I won’t be able to say until I see Heck play on the left.

I know RJohnson can play well on both sides. He’s a good swing tackle.

That's not Texans related.

He's not what he portrayed himself to be.

I wasn't trying to bring religion into the conversation but obviously by deleting my post you don't want to let us know where you stand on this topic and what's truly causing your disdain for the Texans org and not just Easterby. I certainly don't want to have a religious discussion with you but I do want to know where you stand and yes this is totally Texans related

I don't expect you to reply but I do expect you to delete this post too.

What topic? Religious people?

we’re not going to discuss our feelings on religious people.

If he's got a problem with the Texans org because they're a very religious based org and Cal/Easterby in particular? Or does he just not like Easterby.

Back