Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

That article doesn't really discuss his play
And your article speaks of how Fant did after coming into game in 2nd quarter. I agree he looked pretty good for one game. What happened the remaining 4 games? If he was that good why didn't Jets extend him? I can find no information as to what he was asking for. We signed him for $3 million which seems as Caserio hoping he returns to 2021 ability. I know I am.

And your article speaks of how Fant did after coming into game in 2nd quarter. I agree he looked pretty good for one game. What happened the remaining 4 games? If he was that good why didn't Jets extend him? I can find no information as to what he was asking for. We signed him for $3 million which seems as Caserio hoping he returns to 2021 ability. I know I am.
well I'm sure he sucks. He did sign with the Texans after all

well I'm sure he sucks. He did sign with the Texans after all
I am not sure he sucks and am looking for information on how he did the remainder of 2022 last five games. If anyone can find that out it would be good to read.

My concern is the offensive line can be significantly better than last season and still not be good enough. As you say the bar is not too high.

When they're healthy the Texans have a top 10-15 OL. Losing Green didn't bother me at all. He wasn't good last yr and easily replaceable. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Jones at LG and Patterson at C look like and what they are going to look like 5 weeks from now. I'm betting one of Patterson/Jones is going to solve the losing Green issue, then the OL will be very solid.

I am not sure he sucks and am looking for information on how he did the remainder of 2022 last five games. If anyone can find that out it would be good to read.
He only allowed 5 sacks all year. If he struggled in the first 2 1/2 he probably did well. I don't have a PFF membership to see game by game info

He only allowed 5 sacks all year. If he struggled in the first 2 1/2 he probably did well. I don't have a PFF membership to see game by game info
Your first sentence is misleading as he played in 8 games and one of those he was out over a quarter. I don’t have membership in PFF either.
I want to be optimistic about Fant but have not seen anything in preseason to encourage that.

Your first sentence is misleading as he played in 8 games and one of those he was out over a quarter. I don’t have membership in PFF either.
I want to be optimistic about Fant but have not seen anything in preseason to encourage that.
I never said he was good. I just posted the one article I found. I can have hope though

Fant was not bueno last year. Gave up 5 sacks in 8 games as well as 27 pressures. If you want to be nice you can make allowances for the QB's he was playing with but either way wasn't good. 2021 was a much better year. Played every game but one and only gave up 1 sack and 18 pressures which is an excellent number. Outside of his rookie year the rest of his career has been solid.

Preseason was fine so I'm not sure what badboy is upset about there. He played 25 passing snaps and gave up a pressure and no sacks. Obviously it was mostly backups but you can only play who they line up against you. Basically we're hoping that last year was an anomaly and he can return to form all that's left to do is wait and see.

I think Fant is likely only here for a limited time. Once people can get healthy/up to speed I imagine Jones will be better at T and even Heck could be better as well.

Idk Heck hasn't been bad when on the field. But yeah Fant has shown much more in his career in terms of starting caliber play

You watched a different Heck than I did last year
Not gonna pretend like I was specifically watching Heck but I didn't notice him as a problem in the two games he started. Gave up 5 pressures and no sacks in two games started. Sounds fine to me

Not gonna pretend like I was specifically watching Heck but I didn't notice him as a problem in the two games he started. Gave up 5 pressures and no sacks in two games started. Sounds fine to me
I know he only started 2, but he played 161 snaps last year. He may not have been credited with a bunch of pressures and sacks but that was only because the entire line was bad. He missed assignments often and just plain whiffed on a lot.

I know he only started 2, but he played 161 snaps last year. He may not have been credited with a bunch of pressures and sacks but that was only because the entire line was bad. He missed assignments often and just plain whiffed on a lot.
I took some time to watch his snaps against KC and I just don't see what you're seeing. From everything I saw he was fine as a pass blocker and below average as a run blocker. I guess if that's your definition of bad then that's fair.

I took some time to watch his snaps against KC and I just don't see what you're seeing. From everything I saw he was fine as a pass blocker and below average as a run blocker. I guess if that's your definition of bad then that's fair.
There were 16 other games

There were 16 other games
He started one of those games and the other 15 games he had like 30 snaps total. The game against the Titans the stats are all virtually the same as the KC game and the rewatch shows the same. Pretty solid in the pass game with some whiffs in the run game. So unless those 30 snaps scattered throughout the other 15 games were atrocious (0 pressures given up in any of those btw) I don't really know what you're talking about here.

There’s no great option right now at LG, but I’d start Dieter and see if he can hold his own. If for no other reason, he had the entire off-season to get the calls, protections, and overall scheme down cold.

At C I’d probably roll with the rookie, partially for the reason noted above. He’s been here. Green would be my backup option there if Patterson can’t pull his weight.

And I’d go Fant at RT with Jones as first reserve. It’s not great guys, but all they need to be is not bad. Don’t get Stroud killed, be fair to middling in the run game, and don’t be a flag machine.

He started one of those games and the other 15 games he had like 30 snaps total. The game against the Titans the stats are all virtually the same as the KC game and the rewatch shows the same. Pretty solid in the pass game with some whiffs in the run game. So unless those 30 snaps scattered throughout the other 15 games were atrocious (0 pressures given up in any of those btw) I don't really know what you're talking about here.
I just go by the eye test, and Heck sucked overall

You watched a different Heck than I did last year
And what did you think of Fant?

I'm not a big Heck fan but I didn't see anything from either to make me think one was better than the other.

Dogbe is a Matt Burke guy. Gotta wonder how badly Ridgeway is injured:

Surprised they wouldn't just promote Khalil Davis.

Derek Rivers elevated to the active roster. I hope we don’t get bad injury news in the reports today. Not sure why else they’d carry the extra DE. Just know of Ridgeway’s injury and they just signed Dogbe yesterday to presumably add depth there.

Christian being elevated was expected. I hadn't known Morrissey had been signed to the PS. Also a bit of a surprise Deculus was signed to the 53. I expected him to be elevated. A team can elevate 2 players each week, but Deculus may have run out of his eligibility to be elevated (3 times). Deculus may also be on a short leash. If he can't handle Highsmith, we may see Christian, even though he was signed just this past week.

Christian being elevated was expected. I hadn't known Morrissey had been signed to the PS. Also a bit of a surprise Deculus was signed to the 53. I expected him to be elevated. A team can elevate 2 players each week, but Deculus may have run out of his eligibility to be elevated (3 times). Deculus may also be on a short leash. If he can't handle Highsmith, we may see Christian, even though he was signed just this past week.
but Christian has played for us before...but it is a new coaching staff w/ new scheme...just hope he can fit in and give us good reps

Just under 3 m savings it appear for ~6 under now. That could be for significant player. Don't see a FA.. wonder if another trade on horizon?

Howard's been practicing but I still haven't seen a report he's been activated to the 53. Wonder why?

Also, Zentner was released but no report Johnston has been activated to the 53, but Zentner's roster spot has to be for Johnston. Is there a spot for Howard to be activated to or should we be expecting someone else to be released?

Howard has been taking first string snaps at LG, or so the reports say. Anyone have any news who's been taking second string snaps?

I would think they'll be releasing roster moves today.

Last edited:
Back