Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

Tank is the best PR we have. I'm basing it on that one return, but those who have seen camp said he was good there too.

That said, that makes me as nervous as a tom turkey invited to Thanksgiving dinner.

Personally, I think they appear to be giving Tank short shrift in relationship to how good he is as a WR. If they are mostly relegating him to teams/returns, it's a HUGE mistake.

Tank imho is the best offensive weapon and playmaker this team has already, and he's only touching the surface. I understand they may be worried about durability, but staying durable on the sidelines while less effective players are out there would be criminal. You took him not becausea of his weight, but because he is smooth as silk, and gets separation like nobody else...and has field speed like nobody's business. But I fear that's where this is headed.
I wouldn't worry too much as I think they know what they have in Tank as a receiver especially given they never limited him to just slot duties and really let him play outside as well. Where he did quite well. From all the noises within they definitely don't just view him as a returner or anything like that.

Durability is obviously a concern, but I don't think kickoffs will matter that much and on punts I'd rather see the best guy out there. Which is Tank.

Also to reiterate my earlier point. Sims wasn't even good on returns so it's a bit of hand wringing for nothing imo.

Tank is the best PR we have. I'm basing it on that one return, but those who have seen camp said he was good there too.

That said, that makes me as nervous as a tom turkey invited to Thanksgiving dinner.

Personally, I think they appear to be giving Tank short shrift in relationship to how good he is as a WR. If they are mostly relegating him to teams/returns, it's a HUGE mistake.

Tank imho is the best offensive weapon and playmaker this team has already, and he's only touching the surface. I understand they may be worried about durability, but staying durable on the sidelines while less effective players are out there would be criminal. You took him not becausea of his weight, but because he is smooth as silk, and gets separation like nobody else...and has field speed like nobody's business. But I fear that's where this is headed.

Rules have changed since this article was published. But there are no valid numbers since 2021 available to compare. Even with the changes since then and the anticipated changes this season, these trends I believe will still be present, albeit in lesser numbers. One thing that has always been a universal pattern. Injuries sustained by returners often tend to be more serious and associated with more missed games than those typically sustained by non returners.>>

NFL injury data finds punts and kickoffs are disproportionately dangerous
Published February 7, 2022 12:44 PM

An examination of NFL injury data has found that punts and kickoffs cause more injuries, and more serious injuries, than other plays, and the league said today that it is concerned about that.

“Between the punt and the kickoff, there’s a disproportionate number of concussions occurring on only a couple plays,” said Jeff Miller, NFL Executive Vice President overseeing Player Health and Safety.

And it’s not just concussions. The NFL also said there are more serious knee injuries, as well as more other lower-body injuries, per play on punts and kickoffs than on other kinds of plays.

About 30 percent of all torn ACLs are on special teams plays, the league said, even though those represent only about 17 percent of all plays.

The league is now likely to look into ways to change the rules on punts and kickoffs to result in fewer high-speed collisions. The NFL has already started that, particularly on kickoffs, with rule changes that have resulted in more touchbacks. More change is likely on the way.

Can someone explain cut vs waive to me? I thought waive was less than 4 years NFL experience and cut was more than 4 years. Does it also have to do if they were UDFAs as well? I see Zetner was cut, but he has less than 2 years

I like the fact that they're going to try to get a weapon like Dell 8-15 touches a game. This is a way for them to get him 6-8 of those touches per game. Smart if you ask me, cant live in fear of injury. I liked Sims but with Tank their wasn't a place on the roster for Sims.

Green was thrown to the dogs too early and unprepared............and in the wrong system.
With just a little bit of time and coaching, Green could turn into something that could have never been in Pittsburgh.

Kendrick Green Didn't Fail The Steelers - The Steelers Failed Kendrick Green

In the NFL, all that matters is the outcome. Kendrick Green’s outcome is that he’s a failed Pittsburgh Steelers draft selection. But it’s hard to blame the guy. Without a shred of hyperbole, it might not be the organization’s most costly miss but it’s arguably their worst evaluation of the 21st century.

The result’s all the same. Green won’t be the Steelers’ next great center, but he didn’t fail the team. They failed him.

The desire for a center was real. Pittsburgh wanted and needed to replace the retiring Maurkice Pouncey, who Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t able to talk into playing for one more year so they could ride off into the sunset together. No internal options existed and the team bypassed any free agency choices.

What Pittsburgh said it wanted was a Day One-ready center. Months after drafting Green, Mike Tomlin outlined his criteria for what the team was looking for.

“We knew we were looking for a center who was game ready, and so we were looking for a senior, a guy who played four years of college football like he did at Illinois, as opposed to maybe somebody who was an underclassman with upside who may be less of a finished product.”

Kendrick Green was none of those things…except that he played at Illinois.

He wasn’t a senior. He was an underclassman who declared a year early.

He only played three seasons, redshirting after switching from DT in his freshman season. He played 2018 through 2020.

He was an unfinished product. While he logged time at center at Illinois, he primarily played guard. A move to center was something relatively new to him in the NFL.

After bypassing Creed Humphrey for Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth, the Steelers landed on Green in Round Three. With little other options, he became the shoehorned, de-facto starter out of the gate in 2021. It was a miserable experience for him and the offense. There’s no need to relitigate what all went wrong but basically everything did. He fell off blocks, got bullied in pass protection, and sometimes just didn’t snap the football.

By the last few weeks of his rookie year, Green had been benched. In part due to a claim of injury but even when he was clearly healthy, J.C. Hassenauer finished out the season.

Pittsburgh quickly pivoted in the offseason, smartly signing veteran Mason Cole, who held the fort down well in 2022. Green “battled” Kevin Dotson for the starting left guard spot in camp, but it was hardly a competition and Dotson easily won despite missing some time with an injury.

In Pat Meyer’s aggressive pass set system that likes big and long linemen, Green was and is a poor fit. Thankfully, the Steelers’ line stayed remarkably healthy, and Green spent most of the year inactive, failing to register a single snap in regular season action.

Now Green is, at best, on the bubble to make the roster. Due to a lack of options, he’s back at center working second-team behind Cole. It’s the main reason why I’m writing about him now, his name in media circles for the first time in awhile. Maybe he sticks there but the odds still don’t seem good. Pittsburgh isn’t comfortable with him being one snap away from turning to Green, especially in Meyer’s system that demands more 1v1 blocks from the center in pass protection.

But none of that is particularly new territory. Green hasn’t been a successful NFL player. The more interesting question is what made Pittsburgh think he’d be one in the first place.

Had the Steelers gone in a different, better direction, maybe Green could’ve performed. But there was such a disconnect between what the team wanted and what they actually drafted. It’s confounding, honestly. No team hits on every draft pick but Pittsburgh does more often than most and when it misses, it’s usually not because of a total misevaluation or how a player fits into their system or scheme. Green falls into that bucket.

The definition of coaching is putting players in position to succeed. Not setting them up for failure. Nothing Pittsburgh did set Green up for success. They drafted him thinking he was an entirely different prospect with a completely alternative skill set. It’s not even like they planned to sit him and an injury or other unexpected event forced their hand. The Steelers saw the wall in front of them and ran full speed ahead, calling it the right idea along the way.

Maybe it’s an easy scapegoat but I have to think former OL Coach Adrian Klemm helped drive the runaway bus. Ultimately, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin make the call, they’re responsible, but Klemm attended Green’s Illinois’ Pro Day, which carries real weight in Pittsburgh. He had to have produced a glowing report about Green that influenced the selection. And knowing what a poor hire Klemm turned out to be — he didn’t even finish one full year as head o-line coach before leaving for Oregon — that feels like the root of the team’s misevaluation. It doesn’t absolve Tomlin, Colbert, or the rest of the organization from making a bad pick but that’s what makes the most sense.

Had Pittsburgh been more patient, maybe Green would’ve worked. Had Green gone to a heavy-zone system, he might’ve thrived. He’s a legitimately impressive athlete with a mean streak. I don’t want to assume his NFL career was dead on arrival. But Pittsburgh killed it before it had a chance. It remains one of the worst and most confusing picks not just in outcome, which was bad, but especially in process that Kevin Colbert ever made.

Had Pittsburgh been more patient, maybe Green would’ve worked. Had Green gone to a heavy-zone system, he might’ve thrived. He’s a legitimately impressive athlete with a mean streak. I don’t want to assume his NFL career was dead on arrival. But Pittsburgh killed it before it had a chance. It remains one of the worst and most confusing picks not just in outcome, which was bad, but especially in process that Kevin Colbert ever made.

Now you're just teasing.

Texans love a former 3rd round pick.
My guess is that it confirms Juice will miss week 1 with his hamstring and while Deiter and Pattersson might start they still need depth to cover. Or Kendrick Green starts over Pattersson

The C makes all the calls and has to know the offense inside and out, your not learning an entire system in 10 days. In an emergency they could go with a much smaller subset of calls, and just drill him on those, but that’s unlikely.

Now guard…maybe. More likely, they view him as a depth piece that fits the system, and who is athletic and has some longer term upside vs. the risk of losing whatever they sent to the Steelers. Hopefully, it’s a 7th…getting Pitt something rather than just a cut.

Green was thrown to the dogs too early and unprepared............and in the wrong system.
With just a little bit of time and coaching, Green could turn into something that could have never been in Pittsburgh.

Kendrick Green Didn't Fail The Steelers - The Steelers Failed Kendrick Green

In the NFL, all that matters is the outcome. Kendrick Green’s outcome is that he’s a failed Pittsburgh Steelers draft selection. But it’s hard to blame the guy. Without a shred of hyperbole, it might not be the organization’s most costly miss but it’s arguably their worst evaluation of the 21st century.

The result’s all the same. Green won’t be the Steelers’ next great center, but he didn’t fail the team. They failed him.

The desire for a center was real. Pittsburgh wanted and needed to replace the retiring Maurkice Pouncey, who Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t able to talk into playing for one more year so they could ride off into the sunset together. No internal options existed and the team bypassed any free agency choices.

What Pittsburgh said it wanted was a Day One-ready center. Months after drafting Green, Mike Tomlin outlined his criteria for what the team was looking for.

“We knew we were looking for a center who was game ready, and so we were looking for a senior, a guy who played four years of college football like he did at Illinois, as opposed to maybe somebody who was an underclassman with upside who may be less of a finished product.”

Kendrick Green was none of those things…except that he played at Illinois.

He wasn’t a senior. He was an underclassman who declared a year early.

He only played three seasons, redshirting after switching from DT in his freshman season. He played 2018 through 2020.

He was an unfinished product. While he logged time at center at Illinois, he primarily played guard. A move to center was something relatively new to him in the NFL.

After bypassing Creed Humphrey for Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth, the Steelers landed on Green in Round Three. With little other options, he became the shoehorned, de-facto starter out of the gate in 2021. It was a miserable experience for him and the offense. There’s no need to relitigate what all went wrong but basically everything did. He fell off blocks, got bullied in pass protection, and sometimes just didn’t snap the football.

By the last few weeks of his rookie year, Green had been benched. In part due to a claim of injury but even when he was clearly healthy, J.C. Hassenauer finished out the season.

Pittsburgh quickly pivoted in the offseason, smartly signing veteran Mason Cole, who held the fort down well in 2022. Green “battled” Kevin Dotson for the starting left guard spot in camp, but it was hardly a competition and Dotson easily won despite missing some time with an injury.

In Pat Meyer’s aggressive pass set system that likes big and long linemen, Green was and is a poor fit. Thankfully, the Steelers’ line stayed remarkably healthy, and Green spent most of the year inactive, failing to register a single snap in regular season action.

Now Green is, at best, on the bubble to make the roster. Due to a lack of options, he’s back at center working second-team behind Cole. It’s the main reason why I’m writing about him now, his name in media circles for the first time in awhile. Maybe he sticks there but the odds still don’t seem good. Pittsburgh isn’t comfortable with him being one snap away from turning to Green, especially in Meyer’s system that demands more 1v1 blocks from the center in pass protection.

But none of that is particularly new territory. Green hasn’t been a successful NFL player. The more interesting question is what made Pittsburgh think he’d be one in the first place.

Had the Steelers gone in a different, better direction, maybe Green could’ve performed. But there was such a disconnect between what the team wanted and what they actually drafted. It’s confounding, honestly. No team hits on every draft pick but Pittsburgh does more often than most and when it misses, it’s usually not because of a total misevaluation or how a player fits into their system or scheme. Green falls into that bucket.

The definition of coaching is putting players in position to succeed. Not setting them up for failure. Nothing Pittsburgh did set Green up for success. They drafted him thinking he was an entirely different prospect with a completely alternative skill set. It’s not even like they planned to sit him and an injury or other unexpected event forced their hand. The Steelers saw the wall in front of them and ran full speed ahead, calling it the right idea along the way.

Maybe it’s an easy scapegoat but I have to think former OL Coach Adrian Klemm helped drive the runaway bus. Ultimately, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin make the call, they’re responsible, but Klemm attended Green’s Illinois’ Pro Day, which carries real weight in Pittsburgh. He had to have produced a glowing report about Green that influenced the selection. And knowing what a poor hire Klemm turned out to be — he didn’t even finish one full year as head o-line coach before leaving for Oregon — that feels like the root of the team’s misevaluation. It doesn’t absolve Tomlin, Colbert, or the rest of the organization from making a bad pick but that’s what makes the most sense.

I thought this guy was already on the team?

So have we seen a final list? I'm counting another 14 players to be waived/released/IR/traded to get to 53.

This is not accurate. The most obvious which jumped right out at me, keeping 4 qbs. Also Kirksey was announced as being released yesterday, so obviously could not make the 53.

I was going to question keeping 4 QBs on the 53 man roster myself. That seemed odd. EJ Perry isn't making the final 53, but they do probably like him on the practice squad.

My guess is that it confirms Juice will miss week 1 with his hamstring and while Deiter and Pattersson might start they still need depth to cover. Or Kendrick Green starts over Pattersson
I dunno is Demeco/Slowic running a more zone or power orientated rushing game, or is it basically hybrid ?
K.Green would appear to be primarily a zone type olinemen based upon his athleticism.
Dammit our starter from last year blew his knee out for the season in TC, the 2023 second-rounder picked to play center got injured a week before the season opener, so now we are scrambling again to find a center to open vs Baltimore.

These are the 52 players listed on houstontexans.com. Can't vouch for the accuracy

24 Offense

Jarrett Patterson|C/G
Juice Scruggs|C/G
Andrew Beck|FB
Shaq Mason|G
C.J. Stroud|QB
Davis Mills|QB
Case Keenum|QB
Devin Singletary|RB
Mike Boone|RB
Dameon Pierce|RB
Dare Ogunbowale|RB
Tytus Howard|T
George Fant|T
Josh Jones|T
Laremy Tunsil|T
Dalton Schultz|TE
Teagan Quitoriano|TE
Brevin Jordan|TE
Nico Collins|WR
Tank Dell|WR
John Metchie III|WR
Xavier Hutchinson|WR
Robert Woods|WR
Noah Brown|WR

--------------------------
25 Defense

Ka'dar Hollman|CB
Tavierre Thomas|CB
Derek Stingley Jr.|CB
Steven Nelson|CB
Shaquill Griffin|CB
Derek Rivers|DE
Dylan Horton|DE
Will Anderson Jr.|DE
Jonathan Greenard|DE
Jerry Hughes|DE
Hassan Ridgeway|DT
Maliek Collins|DT
Kurt Hinish|DT
Sheldon Rankins|DT
Blake Cashman|LB
Christian Harris|LB
Neville Hewitt|LB
Henry To'oTo'o|LB
Denzel Perryman|LB
Jake Hansen|LB
Grayland Arnold|S
Eric Murray|S
Jalen Pitre|S
Jimmie Ward|S
M.J. Stewart|S

3 Special Team

Ka'imi Fairbairn|K
Cameron Johnston|P
Jon Weeks|LS

These are the 52 players listed on houstontexans.com. Can't vouch for the accuracy

24 Offense

Jarrett Patterson|C/G
Juice Scruggs|C/G
Andrew Beck|FB
Shaq Mason|G
C.J. Stroud|QB
Davis Mills|QB
Case Keenum|QB
Devin Singletary|RB
Mike Boone|RB
Dameon Pierce|RB
Dare Ogunbowale|RB
Tytus Howard|T
George Fant|T
Josh Jones|T
Laremy Tunsil|T
Dalton Schultz|TE
Teagan Quitoriano|TE
Brevin Jordan|TE
Nico Collins|WR
Tank Dell|WR
John Metchie III|WR
Xavier Hutchinson|WR
Robert Woods|WR
Noah Brown|WR

25 Defense

Ka'dar Hollman|CB
Tavierre Thomas|CB
Derek Stingley Jr.|CB
Steven Nelson|CB
Shaquill Griffin|CB
Derek Rivers|DE
Dylan Horton|DE
Will Anderson Jr.|DE
Jonathan Greenard|DE
Jerry Hughes|DE
Hassan Ridgeway|DT
Maliek Collins|DT
Kurt Hinish|DT
Sheldon Rankins|DT
Blake Cashman|LB
Christian Harris|LB
Neville Hewitt|LB
Henry To'oTo'o|LB
Denzel Perryman|LB
Jake Hansen|LB
Grayland Arnold|S
Eric Murray|S
Jalen Pitre|S
Jimmie Ward|S
M.J. Stewart|S

3 Special Team

Ka'imi Fairbairn|K
Cameron Johnston|P
Jon Weeks|LS
Kendrick Green would be #53 once he passes his physical. Kenyon Green might be out for the year.

The Deiter and King cuts completely surprised me

While keeping Rivers Hansen and Hewitt was surprising as well, although it's likely for special teams reasons.

That said by this same time tomorrow they might be replaced by pickups from other rosters.

Lucy has some ‘splaining to do! I can’t come up with the logic behind the King and Deiter cuts.

Unless there is something else behind the curtain coming, these cuts are extremely questionable at best, and flat out irresponsible at worst.

I will await such a reveal before I pass full judgement, but right now these cuts are an F from me.

Greg Mancz and David Quessenberry available, and surely they will sign Deiter to PS?
Greg is always injured and sparingly available........and he has not been that good any time in his career, barely adequate as a BU. Interestingly, he was Deiter's occasional BU.

Quessenberry is already 33, can you believe it? His productive days are behind him. Although, his return would be a marketing tool for Cal/Hannah.

Greg is always injured and sparingly available........and he has been that good any time in his career, barely adequate as a BU. Interestingly, he was Deiter's occasional BU.

Quessenberry is already 33, can you believe it? His productive days are behind him. Although, his return would be a marketing tool for Cal/Hannah.
Just saying there are a lot of guys out there now

Saints waived Lucas Kroll, would take him in a heartbeat over Brevin Jordan.

I am expecting a new TE added on waiver wire tomorrow.

Tyler Kroft another name to keep eye on. Has starting experience and played for Jets/SF last two seasons prior to being in camp with Dolphins. System fit vet.

Zach Kuntz was also cut by Jets. Many were high on him for draft. Though I expect NFL disagreed with draftnik evaluation since he was a 7th round pick and Jets willing to risk him getting picked up by another team.

Plenty of better options to choose from at cut downs.

Obviously whichever 53 ends the day isn't the same as it will be tomorrow as there will definitely be several claims but that projected one looks like a mess
It was said in a way that sounds official.
I didn't dwelve on it because as you said, things could change very quickly tomorrow.

Lucy has some ‘splaining to do! I can’t come up with the logic behind the King and Deiter cuts.

Unless there is something else behind the curtain coming, these cuts are extremely questionable at best, and flat out irresponsible at worst.

I will await such a reveal before I pass full judgement, but right now these cuts are an F from me.
King was probably a malcontent.

Deiter, I agree, is hard to explain.
Yes , he's replaceable, but doing it at this point in time with no firm plan at either Center or LG is borderline insane.

I hope CJ doesn't get hurt in his first NFL start.

King was probably a malcontent.

Deiter, I agree, is hard to explain.
Yes , he's replaceable, but doing it at this point in time with no firm plan at either Center or LG is borderline insane.

I hope CJ doesn't get hurt in his first NFL start.
They think Patterson/Jones/Kendrick are better or will become better player. I tend to agree with them. Deiter didn't impress me much. He was alright I guess.

Last edited:
Back