Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

My big question with this is is this guy okay just being a depth tackle? Going into the last year of his contract and apparently played pretty well last year. If he wants a chance to compete for a starting job this doesn't really seem like the place for him.

So I guess my concern is did we just trade a 5th for a depth guy who's going to walk out the door next year? If he's willing to stay as depth for a few years then worth it, if he's not then no.
He played Guard half his career as well. Maybe he is a wakeup call for Green.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Exactly. He has four position flexibility like Tytus Howard. If Green falters, there is a chance Jones is one of the five best OL on the roster and could earn a second contract with the team reflecting that.

Shrewd move by Caserio investing in the OL with a young ascending player that has started NFL games at multiple positions.

My big question with this is is this guy okay just being a depth tackle? Going into the last year of his contract and apparently played pretty well last year. If he wants a chance to compete for a starting job this doesn't really seem like the place for him.

So I guess my concern is did we just trade a 5th for a depth guy who's going to walk out the door next year? If he's willing to stay as depth for a few years then worth it, if he's not then no.
They also got a 7th back. But even if they didn't and Jones walks after this yr, considering the lack of depth on the ol, Jones is well worth the investment. He also has played some OG which also lacks in depth. Well worth a 5th to try to keep Stroud well protected while he develops

A pick swap (5th for 7th) is probably still worth it even for 1 season when we had a very obvious need for o-line depth in a league where that depth, at least actually good depth, is extremely hard to come by.

A 5th rounder is very unlikely to become anything in the league so to me putting extra insurance on CJ's protection and development is a worthwhile investment.
Agreed, but a 5th can be packaged with a 4th to .move up into the 3rd where starter level players are found.

A pick swap (5th for 7th) is probably still worth it even for 1 season when we had a very obvious need for o-line depth in a league where that depth, at least actually good depth, is extremely hard to come by.

A 5th rounder is very unlikely to become anything in the league so to me putting extra insurance on CJ's protection and development is a worthwhile investment.
Time will tell but that's a little suspect for me, 5th rounders rarely turn into anything sure but the more swings you have at the back end the more likely you find those impact players late. It's what the 49ers have made a living off of. Plus even if that guy turns out to just be decent depth you have him for 4 years instead of just 1. I don't think it's a huge deal but definitely have some reservations.

Specifically LG.

I believe the Cardinals are in the midst of a fire scale. Don't be surprised if they try to tank next year and get rid of their starting QB (ala Osweiler). They want to build up future cap space. The deal was a very good deal for the Texans for someone as versatile, even as a reliable swing T. With the way injuries occur on the Oliine, I bet he ends up starting for the Texans somewhere. And if he ends up being solid, Caserio will find a way to keep him.

He played RG in 2021 and had his issues (but there were significant issues with the players to the left and right of him at the time which was less than supportive to his position), but then he took over a LT after Humphries was lost for the season in 2022 and did quite admirably. He's proven himself at least at LG, RT and LT.

I've mentioned before that the Cardinals are getting ready for a tank job and trying to load up for 2024.

Specifically LG.

I believe the Cardinals are in the midst of a fire scale. Don't be surprised if they try to tank next year and get rid of their starting QB (ala Osweiler). They want to build up future cap space. The deal was a very good deal for the Texans for someone as versatile, even as a reliable swing T. With the way injuries occur on the Oliine, I bet he ends up starting for the Texans somewhere. And if he ends up being solid, Caserio will find a way to keep him.

Did Cardinals get enough for Isaiah Simmons, Josh Jones?
By Mike Florio

Published August 25, 2023 11:00 AM

It rolls like a tank, rumbles like a tank, and stinks like the inside of a tank, but as long as the Cardinals don’t call it a tank they won’t get in trouble for tanking.

Regardless, for 2023, the Cardinals are not prioritizing the effort to win as many games as they can.

The dynamic became obvious at the draft, when the Cardinals gave up current picks for future ones. It became even more clear when they specifically made receiver DeAndre Hopkins a pre-June 1 release, taking the full salary cap charge in 2023, when it could have been easily split over two years.

By Thursday, it was no surprise when the Cardinals send 2020 first-rounder Isaiah Simmons to the Giants and 2020 third-rounder Josh Jones to the Texans. The surprise, in some league circles, is the paltry return for both players.

Some are wondering what the Cardinals did to maximum the haul, or whether the Cardinals were looking to do a favor to the Giants and the Texans by doing the deals for so little. Did they make it known the players were available and wait for the best offers? If so, no one leaked it to the media that the players were available.

More moves could be made. The Cardinals are clearly tearing it down now, with the goal of building it up later. It could make for a long season in 2023 — but for a great potential draft haul in 2024, especially since they have Houston’s first-round pick, too.

I cannot find anything saying Josh Jones played LG. He didn't do well at RG in limited capacity. Basically a left tackle who could do ok at RT.
You're correct. My mistake. But LTs with good hands and good movement skills, but not real quick foot work, can usually transition to LG. If Jones were to be tried at LG, there is definitely a good chance he would make a good transition if needed.

You're correct. My mistake. But LTs with good hands and good movement skills, but not real quick foot work, can usually transition to LG. If Jones were to be tried at LG, there is definitely a good chance he would make a good transition if needed.
Totally agree. I was expecting to have to move Mason to left but can now leave him where he is best. Green gets one half and if not better, Josh Jones plays rest of this game. Hoping info from 10 above continues as that would take load off my mind [and Stroud's].

He played RG in 2021 and had his issues (but there were significant issues with the players to the left and right of him at the time which was less than supportive to his position), but then he took over a LT after Humphries was lost for the season in 2022 and did quite admirably. He's proven himself at least at LG, RT and LT.

According to the Chronicle, he's never played LG in the pros. Not saying that's correct, but that's what the Chronic indicated. They have him at LT, RT, and RG only.

Is everyone expecting Jones to just step in though? I'm still expecting Fant and Deiter to be the go-to's week 1 and that's just based on Jones' unfamiliarity with the system as he basically spent his NFL years so far playing Kingsbury's pro adapted air raid offense.

That said I'm not sure what offense they're running now under Petzing or what he did in college.

Is everyone expecting Jones to just step in though? I'm still expecting Fant and Deiter to be the go-to's week 1 and that's just based on Jones' unfamiliarity with the system as he basically spent his NFL years so far playing Kingsbury's pro adapted air raid offense.

That said I'm not sure what offense they're running now under Petzing or what he did in college.
It might be interesting how you selected your user name. If you care to share check out the thread.

It’s a competition. Of course if the season started today the guys practicing with the team would be ahead of Jones. But the competition will go on all season. And i’d say Jones is top backup by game 4 or so.

core special team player
Found this to support your response>

Despite being the career rushing leader at Missouri, Larry Rountree III has struggled to find his footing in the NFL. Since being drafted by the Chargers in the sixth round in 2021, Rountree has accounted for just 87 rushing yards at a paltry 2.4 per carry average.

After failing to make the initial 53 man roster following the acquisitions of Isaiah Spiller and Sony Michel a season ago, Rountree clawed his way back from the practice squad to the active roster last November for his special teams acumen. Los Angeles liked what they saw enough to offer Rountree a reserve/futures contract for the 2023 season.
LINK

The Texans signed punter Ty Zentner because Cameron Johnston was sidelined with what the Texans call a "minor calf injury." Hate to bring this up to the Texans, but no injury to the calf is "minor"..........whether in the kicking leg or the plant leg.

[The team did not report which calf, but just found out it is the kicking right leg.]

The Texans signed punter Ty Zentner because Cameron Johnston was sidelined with what the Texans call a "minor calf injury." Hate to bring this up to the Texans, but no injury to the calf is "minor"..........whether in the kicking leg or the plant leg.

[The team did not report which calf, but just found out it is the kicking right leg.]

One of my favorite Texan holdovers, Johnston is absolutely best punter in team history. No this doesn’t excite anyone, but he’s been a consistent performer and fun watch to see him single handedly flip field advantage. Hope to hell, Texan medical staff can rehabilitate injury, know he has mental toughness to overcome.

One of my favorite Texan holdovers, Johnston is absolutely best punter in team history. No this doesn’t excite anyone, but he’s been a consistent performer and fun watch to see him single handedly flip field advantage. Hope to hell, Texan medical staff can rehabilitate injury, know he has mental toughness to overcome.
Rest is just as much if not more the key. Too much impatience in Houston.

We should go and sign that bills punter that got cut due to those false allegations and was later found innocent. That dude has an absolute CANON for a leg.

No thank you. If the Patriots or Jets give him a shot then it will the a great second chance story.

If the Texans do it then it will be a story about how the Texans continually have players with sexual assault allegations.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
Very interesting a team hasn’t already signed him. You’d think the Browns would give him a shot…
not really that interesting or surprising at all to be honest...with todays cancel culture and this absurdity thats going on no team wants to face the backlash of signing him. People have seemed to forgotten that your Innocent until proven guilty....today its the other way around and for some reason people are afraid of this 1% minority in our society and feels they need to bend the knee to them at their every whim.

With our history of DW4 freshly behind us...I can only imagine how they dont want anything to do with cases like that...even if they have already been cleared innocent of all charges.

Just sad considering the young mans career and his talent.

No thank you. If the Patriots or Jets give him a shot then it will the a great second chance story.

If the Texans do it then it will be a story about how the Texans continually have players with sexual assault allegations.

Wasn't it proven already that it was a lie about him being involved? If so, dude has to wear that tag forever just because some skank lied? What a fun f***ing world we live in.

Wasn't it proven already that it was a lie about him being involved? If so, dude has to wear that tag forever just because some skank lied? What a fun f***ing world we live in.
I don't think he's wearing that tag anymore at all.

I just think teams still think about his ability the same as they did during the draft process which is he's a guy with huge power, but a lack of control, finesse, and accuracy.

Desmond King release kind of upset me as I really like him as player.

That said it also strikes home to me that we now have a squad with actual talent on it now that I can be upset by a cut which hasn't happened for years as we've been so talent starved.

Last edited:
Back