Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

Has there not been a team update on Schultz' status??? When it happened they said he was fine and walked under his own power...now its been days, havent heard of him being at practice, and we keep signing TE's???

Has there not been a team update on Schultz' status??? When it happened they said he was fine and walked under his own power...now its been days, havent heard of him being at practice, and we keep signing TE's???
Sure do wish they would've drafted Washington.

Love the Vannett signing.

These signings may be a result of Quitoriano going on PUP. Tomorrow I believe will be open to the public. We should see a report on Schultz, if anyone is looking that way.

These signings may be a result of Quitoriano going on PUP. Tomorrow I believe will be open to the public. We should see a report on Schultz, if anyone is looking that way.
The problem with our TEs is they're all banged up. Not all that concerned about Schultz from his "collision" incident. But most concerning is that Jordan with his hamstring and Quitoriano with his quad are both dealing with potentially chronic injuries that not uncommonly can follow them well into if not through the 2023 season.

From what I can find out, the $2 million bump 'may' have been from his $1m per game incentive plus 1/2 million additional easy to attain incentive but unclear. The bump may be in addition to the $1.5m but no one seems to know.

Scaife at Miami basically played OT and OG. He was felt not to be NFL OT material due to his physical attributes. When the Packers signed him as an UDFA, they listed his as a Center. When tested by the Relative Athletic Score, he scored highest at Center. It's curious that the Hurricanes utilized him basically at RT initially, then RG. I have not been able to find any reference of them using him at C. The Packers felt he fit the bill for C (his physical attributes fit)....and so do the Texans.

From what I can find out, the $2 million bump 'may' have been from his $1m per game incentive plus 1/2 million additional easy to attain incentive but unclear. The bump may be in addition to the $1.5m but no one seems to know.
Guaranteeing a guy in the last yr of his contract is bad business. What do the Texans gain from guaranteeing his money?

Guaranteeing a guy in the last yr of his contract is bad business. What do the Texans gain from guaranteeing his money?
If their plan is to keep Nelson on the roster the entire season, how does it hurt? You do know that the current year contract is guaranteed if Nelson makes the opening week roster, right?

If their plan is to keep Nelson on the roster the entire season, how does it hurt? You do know that the current year contract is guaranteed if Nelson makes the opening week roster, right?
It doesn't hurt, but it's a waste of money and sets a bad precedent. IMHO

I thought you were referring to guaranteeing his contract to be a waste
He's going to be a starting CB next yr, I've got no problem with guaranteeing his contract. Giving him a raise on the contract is what I question. They may need that money to fill holes at the trade deadline.

Reactions: JB
He entered the League as a DE by the Bears, but was converted shortly to RT. Since then, he has seen action split between RT and LG, with more time at LG. He has not been very impressive since his offensive conversion.
RT could be an issue for a good chunk of the season.

Our 'depth' on oline is shallow, shallow.

Maybe some blonde hottie will sing about it and pay royalties to McNairs.

He's solid if not great and I suspect Caserio was hoping Nelson would wait until later in season to request more $ in an extension.

If the $ 2 million does not include the incentives, Nelson needs to ball out to earn it. I think he will.

This is how Nick earns his paycheck. 🎲

We let VALLADAY go? I had hopes for Valladay. He was one of the UDFAs I thought was going to be a steal. :(

And if we're re-signing EJ Perry, does that mean people are sniffing around asking about Mills?

I've wondered if we are actually going to keep both Mills and Case throughout the season. I would like it if they did. I don't think at this time, we could recoup the 3rd round pick we gave for Mills. We shall see.

And yeah, I too was hoping for more from Valladay.

And if we're re-signing EJ Perry, does that mean people are sniffing around asking about Mills?
It's already been reported that the Texans have had inquires about Mills, but we weren't interested. Now, with a bit less than a month before the regular season's start, it isn't likely we are going to carry four qbs.

You have to speculate something is in the works.

Or it could be a subtle signal to other teams, make us a solid offer, we're prepared to listen.

We let VALLADAY go? I had hopes for Valladay. He was one of the UDFAs I thought was going to be a steal. :(

I’d assume Mills and/or Keenum are trade bait. Caserio loves his trade a 7th plus a player for a 6th round pick training camp trades. Though I hope Mills or Keenum could fetch more!

I’m surprised the team signed two WRs. There is currently a logjam of similar talent at the position. I know Jesse Matthews got hurt but who else? There must be injuries that will come to light sometime soon.

Not too excited about this signing. He was waived injured 3 weeks ago. For the last 2 seasons, he has had repeated significant soft tissue injuries involving the calf, quadriceps and hamstrings. This is in addition to repeated high ankle issues. His injury history goes well into his college career. We can always hope he can make it through the end of preseason...........

Alex Bachman was originally reported by Aaron Wilson to be waived today with an injury designation. But just an hour later Aaron Wilson reported that he was placed officially on IR. Someone's reporting is not accurate..................the 24 hour period for reclaiming a player has undoubtedly not passed.

According to Adam Schefter, the Cardinals are trading OT Josh Jones to the Houston Texans.

Schefter adds the Texans are giving up a fifth-round pick and also getting a seventh in exchange for Jones.

It’s the second trade of the day for the Cardinals after dealing Isaiah Simmons and the second involving a former high pick. Jones was a third-round pick in 2020 entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Meanwhile Houston gets a potential upgrade at backup tackle after some injuries have tested their depth at the position.

Jones, 26, was a four-year starter at Houston and earned second-team All-AAC honors in his final season. The Cardinals selected him with the No. 72 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

He was entering the final year of a four-year, $4,839,341 rookie contract that includes a $1,079,522 signing bonus.

In 2022, Jones appeared in all 17 games for the Cardinals and made nine starts at left tackle. Pro Football Focus had him graded as the No. 17 tackle out of 81 qualifying players.

Josh Jones just seems like a really good move. The real question will be if he can be re-signed and retained as a top end swing tackle.

Surprised no other o-line starved teams went after him (like the Jets) as a potential starter.

According to Adam Schefter, the Cardinals are trading OT Josh Jones to the Houston Texans.

Schefter adds the Texans are giving up a fifth-round pick and also getting a seventh in exchange for Jones.

It’s the second trade of the day for the Cardinals after dealing Isaiah Simmons and the second involving a former high pick. Jones was a third-round pick in 2020 entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Meanwhile Houston gets a potential upgrade at backup tackle after some injuries have tested their depth at the position.

Jones, 26, was a four-year starter at Houston and earned second-team All-AAC honors in his final season. The Cardinals selected him with the No. 72 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

He was entering the final year of a four-year, $4,839,341 rookie contract that includes a $1,079,522 signing bonus.

In 2022, Jones appeared in all 17 games for the Cardinals and made nine starts at left tackle. Pro Football Focus had him graded as the No. 17 tackle out of 81 qualifying players.
Seems to be a good signing for Caserio. We'll need to extend his contract, but young, injury free, starting experience and a decent pff rating. The price is reasonable. Significant upgrade.

Last edited:
My big question with this is is this guy okay just being a depth tackle? Going into the last year of his contract and apparently played pretty well last year. If he wants a chance to compete for a starting job this doesn't really seem like the place for him.

So I guess my concern is did we just trade a 5th for a depth guy who's going to walk out the door next year? If he's willing to stay as depth for a few years then worth it, if he's not then no.

My big question with this is is this guy okay just being a depth tackle? Going into the last year of his contract and apparently played pretty well last year. If he wants a chance to compete for a starting job this doesn't really seem like the place for him.

So I guess my concern is did we just trade a 5th for a depth guy who's going to walk out the door next year? If he's willing to stay as depth for a few years then worth it, if he's not then no.
A pick swap (5th for 7th) is probably still worth it even for 1 season when we had a very obvious need for o-line depth in a league where that depth, at least actually good depth, is extremely hard to come by.

A 5th rounder is very unlikely to become anything in the league so to me putting extra insurance on CJ's protection and development is a worthwhile investment.

Back