Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans 2014 Training Camp

The Texans just can't shake the injury bug.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/26/bonner-leaves-texans-practice-early/

Or is this one way to pave the way for IR and to stash a guy on PS?

If bonner goes on the ir, might as well forget about him.

If I remember correctly, Bonner is the 1st Jacksonville State player to have been drafted since 1991. If this leg injury is severe enough to place him on the IR again, he may not be the 1st to play in an NFL game.

First Look: Highlights Day 2: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...ts-Day-2/de2effe3-aa14-4a61-a94e-78110a8fa7f6

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/CP_646/646CushingTC1.jpg[/IMG]

(tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top)

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Ryan Fitzpatrick looked good out of the gun and showed good zip, decision-making and ball placement in seven on seven drills. Not in pads

Today was easily the best that Ryan Fitzpatrick has looked in a Texans uniform. #Texanscamp

James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Players looked concerned at first with Dent, but he's trying to run it off now.

ILB Akeem Dent, came in trade from ATL, got his right knee rolled up on. Trainers came out quick but he walked off.

Fitzpatrick goes back shoulder to DeAndre Hopkins who makes the leaping catch. That's using your WRs strengths. 10 and 14 having good days

Draft pick Andre Hal with the play of the day. Picks off Deep ball by Fitzpatrick to Andre Johnson. One handed grab against his helmet

Fitzpatrick throws a pick to J Jo. Andre Johnson not on same page as QB on the play. O'Brien talks to both afterwards. #texanstrainingcamp

Hopkins has looked really good so far. Attacking the ball.
Dave Zangaro @DZangaro
Very possible #Texans 2nd unit right side of o-line (Clabo, Su'a-Filo) is better than first unit today (Kupper, Newton).

Lonnie Ballentine, who had ice on his leg earlier, is taking the cart ride back to the stadium. WR Hughes was on the cart too. #Texans

Great catch by Hopkins over Brandon Harris. Fitzpatrick let him go up and get it for about 15.

After looking good earlier, Dennis Johnson has dropped two easy passes now.

Rookie safety Lonnie Ballentine is on the trainer's table with ice wrapped around his right thigh. #Texans

Looks like Arian Foster's day is done. He was getting stretched out earlier and now his ankles are untaped and he has no helmet. Watching.

With Cody White out, Alex Kupper is the next guard in. Getting more reps.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Play of the day: rookie CB Andre Hal made a spectacular interception on a deep route, taking away the ball from Andre Johnson.

WR Keyshawn Martin beat everybody deep on perfect post throw from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Lacoltan Bester, an undrafted FA from Cincinnati, has made 2 great catches, including a 1-hander on a hitch route against tight coverage.

Andre Johnson terrific catch on slant route against CB Brandon Harris. We've seen that hundreds of times by AJ.

Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercilus are in their familiar roles at OLB. The ILBs are Jeff Tarpinian and Justin Tuggle in the base 3-4.

AJ Bouye just made a tremendous breakup on an out route stripping with perfect timing against WR EZ Nwachukwu.

CB AJ Bouye, an undrafted rookie FA so impressive in camp last year, spent season on IR but has picked up where he left off. Great plays.
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
During #Texans practice Randy Bullock and Chris Boswell working on kickoffs with DeVIer Posey and Mike Thomas on the receiving end.

#Texans defense working on drill to create turnovers with 2 players attacking each player with ball while the offense works on protecting
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Two sweet catches by Fiedorowicz.

Not the best practice for #Texans' QBs.

Mike Vrabel is the fastest #Texan.

As has been case since OTAs, #Texans' QB rotation initial two days of camp: Fitzpatrick, Keenum ... Savage, whose action has been minimal.

Fitz with a perfectly timed loft to Hopkins. Continues to be hit or miss.
PDS @PatDStat
Next Savage pass. Hazel drops the interception. #Texans

Eddie Pleasant with an interception of Savage from a pass deflected at the LOS. #Texans

Garrett Graham sighting. Catch on the numbers against Elbert Mack. #Texans

Fiedorowicz with a nice sliding catch from a Keenum pass going towards the sideline.

Brandon Harris with a pass breakup against Dre this time. #Texans

Andre Hal has picked it up since a slow start today. Breaks up a deep pass Intended for McClung. #Texans

Marcus Williams with the interception of Case Keenum. #Texans

Keenum with a nice timing route Posey. Hits him coming out of his break in front of Victorian. #Texans

Kendrick Lewis drops an int intended for Thomas. #Texans

Mercilus in coverage on Hopkins downfield. Breaks up the pass. #Texans

Ball not coming out of Keenum's hand good today. Struggling some to get his accuracy together today ". #Texans

Keo in Chase mode has to interfere with Martin on a deep ball from Keenum.

Good matchup between Bouye and Nwachukwu today. EZ has the upper hand today.

Nwachukwu putting together another solid day. Nice connection with Fitz. #Texans

Brandon Harris having a rough go at it today. Plenty of completions on him today.

Texans working on the deep ball that short session. Not the best outcomes.

Rookie Andre Hal with the interception of Fitz on a deep ball to Andre Johnson. Hal with great coverage. #Texans

Tuggle with the interception of Case Keenum.

Kareem Jackson with the interception of Fitz on a deep corner route to Mike Thomas. #Texans

Boswell looks healthy again. Good kickoff hang time. Much improved from OTAs.

LaCoaltan Bester with a nice one handed grab with good coverage from Marcus Williams. #Texans

Victorian with his second INT in two days. Ball goes through Dennis Johnson's hands. Second drop of the day for Johnson.

Keenum over cooks a deep ball to Nwachkwu. Throwing it out of bounds not giving EZ a chance. #Texans

Godsey calling the plays in from a Walkie talkie to Fitz and Keenum today. #Texans

Johnson and Fitz working well together. Hits Dre on a nice comeback. #Texans

Fitz with a deep ball to Martin for a TD. Harris on the coverage. #Texans

#Texans moving to 7 on 7s. Fitz with a nice throw to Andre across the middle of the field. #Texans

Lechler still a boss and dropping 50+ yard punts with ease. #Texans

Labhart, Posey, Thomas, Martin and Jackson working punt return at the moment.

Big Jerrell Powe moving trying to run down the screen. He can run for his 331 lbs. frame. #Texans

Labhart drops a pass from Keenum. Having a strong day up to that point. #Texans

#Texans working on the quick game right now. Mike Thomas finding space to work.

Labhart blows by Victorian in 1 on 1s makes a nice catch on an under thrown ball. #Texans

Fitzpatrick with a nice throw outside the numbers to Posey. #Texans

Bouye picking up where he left off yesterday. Breaks up a pass in 1 on 1s. #Texans
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Cody White has torn his Achilles. Happened in camp yesterday.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
O'Brien said #Texans executed better today, but tempo was an issue. Want to control and change as often as possible.
Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Texans will be in full pads Monday morning, but BOB wouldn't promise there will be full contact. Says we'll have to wait and see.

BOB: "Rookies on a need to know basis."

BOB on heat: We're out there and we're going. We're not expecting an Alaskan cold front coming through."

Greg Bailey ‏@GregBailey13
O'Brien laughed at worries about heat. It's Texas!!! We worry about what we can control. I've coached at Georgia Tech in Atlanta! #Texans

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
"Tomorrow will be in full pads. I want to see these guys come out and compete." -O'Brien #Texans #NFLTrainingCamp

BOB: (Rookies) came back in shape. But admits its a big jump to the NFL camp. "They're adjusting as well as they can."

O'Brien: much of what we do is fixing problems immediately. We do it in games. We must do it every day in practice. It's a huge part for us

BOB explains afternoon workouts: We fix problems. You can't fix problems after the game or even at halftime. Have to fix them in the game."

Starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick gets most snaps at practice, followed by Case Keenum then Tom Savage. #Texans #NFLTrainingCamp

Arian Foster left practice early on a cart but BOB said he's fine "as far as I know."

O'Brien says music at practice forces communication among players, helps them read body language, & adds more enthusiasm. #Texans

O'Brien on adding two new LBs. We are always looking to add to our roster at every position. #Texans

BOB on adding OLBs: "Always looking to make it the most competitive" situation we can get.

O'Brien: we are a long way away from where we will be. Guys are taking coaching well. #Texans

BOB: "We believe in controlling the tempo." Installing offense naturally slows things down. In a week he expects much improvement.

O'Brien: execution better. Tempo decent not where it needs to be. It will get better. #Texans

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
#Texans fans chanting "Andre" as he walks off the field.

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans 4m
O'Brien: "Execution was slightly better. Overall a better day than yesterday, which is what you're looking for." #Texans #NFLTrainingCamp

Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy 4m
BOB pronounced practice better today but still "a long way" from where we need to be" in terms of tempo.

Last edited:
That's correct other than Iirc there were a few days when everyone stayed in a hotel eg first night of training camp.
Yeah, I thought they all stayed at a hotel together until the first preseason game, then the vets got to go home

Graduated reps from #1 to #2 to #3 -- Fitz might get 5 to Case's 3 to Savage's 1. Gotta get your #1 sharp first/foremost.
This is the first year I won't be able to see any of the open practices (both Capers and Kubiak eras). But from years past, all of the QBs got reps. And that's with 4 QBs in camp. The starter played with the 1's, backup played with the 2's, etc. All got equal reps early in camp, as not to wear out the starters. Once camp broke, that's when the starters got the bulk of the reps. If what is being said is accurate, this is truly different than any camp I've seen.

This is the first year I won't be able to see any of the open practices (both Capers and Kubiak eras). But from years past, all of the QBs got reps. And that's with 4 QBs in camp. The starter played with the 1's, backup played with the 2's, etc. All got equal reps early in camp, as not to wear out the starters. Once camp broke, that's when the starters got the bulk of the reps. If what is being said is accurate, this is truly different than any camp I've seen.

Could just be because it is a new QB and a new system. IF everyone was returning to the same system it may be that way. Cause from what i hear this offense is pretty complicated and puts a lot of pressure on the QB position.

I don't get this. There are only 3 QBs in camp. There should be plenty of reps for everybody.

Could be that OB, despite his naming Fitz, is not sure that this is his man, and there is still a real open competition for regular season "starter" between Fitz and Keenum.......and Savage is not expected to factor in this year's in-season on-field appearance. As has been pointed out in past weeks, Savage has made his share of "mistakes" and may be less field ready any time soon than previously anticipated.

Could be that OB, despite his naming Fitz, is not sure that this is his man, and there is still a real open competition for regular season "starter" between Fitz and Keenum.......and Savage is not expected to factor in this year's in-season on-field appearance.

There could still be competition. But have you seen a camp where the starting QB is getting reps with the 3rd unit? Ive seen the starter get re p s with the 2nd, but eventually the 3rd string guy plays with the backend of the roster. Wish I was there to see what's going on.

Quotes: Day 2 of Training Camp

DO NOT MISS BullPenPhotos's pictures from today:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105643

As close as you can get to being there. Give him some rep if so inclined.​

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Losing Cody White after David Quessenberry is already out for the year, is very bad. 2 of the most versatile offensive linemen. #TexansTC

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Draft pick CB Andre Hal held his own today in team drills. Covered Andre Johnson a bit. #Texans

Didn't get a ton of reps today. #Texans RT>>>>what about Savage?

He's the backup right now, but Savage has a shot. #Texans RT >>>>>>>> Is Keenum locked in at backup, or Savage have a shot?

We aren't allowed in the hallways anymore. @DZangaro just suggested I go out there and see if I get shot. What a nice guy.

I think today might have been the best I've seen Ryan Fitzpatrick. Case Keenum didn't have a great day. Off target a lot. #Texans

I decided to count WR drops today. Abandoned that plan midway through practice because they weren't dropping any. Good day for them. #Texans

Pads go on tomorrow. Will be super fun. O'Brien said I'll have to wait and see if they go live. (doubt it on the first day) #Texans

...All got equal reps early in camp, as not to wear out the starters...
(on the quarterback reps leading in the first preseason game will be determined) “It’s predetermined basically in the first three or four practices. Fitzy (Ryan Fitzpatrick) will get the bulk of the reps, and then right now Case (Keenum) is getting the second most and Tommy (Tom Savage) gets quote en quote the third most. But basically Tommy probably gets a lot of reps on his own because we do a two-spot drill there in the beginning of practice and we’ll do more of those as practice where he gets his own reps and Case comes over and gets some of those reps to. So it balances itself out, and then we determine who is ahead of who after a few practices. However many practices we think we need to determine who the backup quarterback is going to be. We’ll take our time with that. You know, right now it is Ryan, it’s Case and then it’s Tom.”

Still doing installs every day, and new all around. I would guess OB's playbook is multiples thicker than Kubiak's. I think reps will balance out as they complete the installs and Fitz demonstrates command. Running a tempo scheme, too, so that adds a layer to the complexity. Savage likely getting more run reps, less pass so less chirping from media.

Pads tomorrow. Lots of camp left. Today it was all Fitz. Keenum with accuracy problems today, vision & batted balls yesterday. Savage is all rookie so far. Things will change.

Last edited:
Arian riding off into the sunset on a cart is not anything that any of us would want to see.........but with his past history of hamstring, calf and back problems, it is not anything that surprises me. And OB saying "I don't think it's anything" (a phrase he has used in the past and......) doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

On another note, with Quess and now Cody off the menu, we have to be concerned as though we have lost not 2 OL, but in actuality 4-6, as both were anticipated in multiple position roles.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_2933--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3110--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3135--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3145--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3196--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3261--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3341--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3351--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3352--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3353--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3354--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/tempBB1_3160--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/temp_BB23428--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/07-July/temp_BB23451--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

Arian riding off into the sunset on a cart is not anything that any of us would want to see.........but with his past history of hamstring, calf and back problems, it is not anything that surprises me. And OB saying "I don't think it's anything" (a phrase he has used in the past and......) doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

On another note, with Quess and now Cody off the menu, we have to be concerned as though we have lost not 2 OL, but in actuality 4-6, as both were anticipated in multiple position roles.

Any word on what happened or when he left, because i looked at all of the bullpenphotos and saw him virtually the entire time, and running a lot of plays with the first team.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/2014-texans-training-camp/20140726_texanstrainingcamp_btc_57.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/2014-texans-training-camp/20140726_texanstrainingcamp_btc_56.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/2014-texans-training-camp/20140726_texanstrainingcamp_btc_55.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/2014-texans-training-camp/20140726_texanstrainingcamp_btc_54.jpg[/IMG]
--chron.com

Late reads from JB...

Whitney Mercilus did a few things well today. His getoff on a pass away from his side, was insane. Quickest I've seen from him. #Texans

Alec Lemon was starting to develop in camp last year. He's been invisible this year. #Texans

It's early, but the WRs that have looked the most impressive, other than AJ & Hop. T-1. Thomas & EZ. 3. Posey T-4. Bester & Labhart

The ball was overthrown and Graham wasn't able to make the catch. To his credit, Bouye showed good makeup speed, but out of position.

The worst play of AJ Bouye's camp came when he was in coverage on Garrett Graham. Graham ran out and up, Bouye bit hard. I mean hard, hard.

Mike Thomas came out of the break on an out with Kareem in coverage, Fitz put it on his shoelaces, insane show of hands for Thomas. #Texans

Whitney Mercilus was 30 yards downfield, tight on Hopkins, ball under thrown. Would of been PI, but impressive coverage. #Texans

I don't know if Tom Savage is being told to take the easy / short read or not, but that's what he did today. #Texans

Case Keenum showed some comfort with Keshawn Martin by beating Josh Victorian with a backshoulder throw. Martin & Keenum excited afterwards.

EZ got the best of AJ Bouye on a comeback from Fitzpatrick. Then follows that up with another win on the very next play. #Texans

Throw of the day was easily Ryan Fitzpatrick's backshoulder throw to DeAndre Hopkins. Harris in Hops pocket, stops, elevates, catch.

Brandon Harris tight on Andre Johnson again, AJ brought the ball in and Harris takes him down. Bill O'Brien not to fond of this. #Texans

AJ Bouye went stride for stride with DeVier Posey on a deep post and forced incomplete pass. #Texans

Quentin Groves picked up a back in the flat and recorded an impressive pass breakup today. #Texans

Tim Jamison had a good day inside.

Dre vs Dre: Andre Hal took Andre Johnson on a deep post, got position & was more aggressive for the ball, Hal came away w/ 1 hand INT.

One thing that's abundantly clear, the #Texans will be prepared for crowd noise. Music blaring at practice, so loud you can't think.

Deep post to Alec Lemon was broken up by Lemon, Marcus almost had another pick, Lemon had to play defense. #Texans

Savage best throw of the day came when Bester ran short hitch, turns & Marcus Williams blanketed all over him & Bester snags 1 hand low ball

Honestly, a 100 times better than I thought they would. Like they've been together RT ???>>> How do they look so far Fitz and Dre

EZ does everything so quick. Lost Marcus Williams on an outside hitch with such a quick cutback. Deadly if QBs build anticipation with him.

Andre Johnson turned Kareem Jackson around & Fitz had the ball on him on the hitch back. #Texans

Brandon Harris was tight on Andre Johnson on an in route, Fitz put the ball where only Andre could get it. AJ hauls it in. #Texans

Mike Thomas continued to impress with the ball in his hands, seemed to be deadly on bubbles. #Texans

Travis Labhart was working the creases of the field today & hard for anyone to guard. The A&M kids looking the part at WR. #Texans

Savage didn't impress today. Locked in on 1st read to McClung, throws deep & Andre Hal was in better position. McClung had to turn into a DB

Williams long speed is needed in this secondary in my opinion. Ability to run with anyone & force turnovers when teams take shots. #Texans

Rookie CB Marcus Williams continues to show his ball skills. Williams had a pick 6 and was around the ball throughout the day. #Texans

Watching Lawrence Sidbury and Quentin Groves today, you could see the coaches working hard to get them up to speed. Vet callbacks if cut.

Akeem Dent played some tight, physical coverage on Dennis Johnson when he picked him up out of the backfield. #Texans

Lacoltan Bester had a few good plays today. 1 on 1s he beat AJ Bouye deep and concentrated to snag the TD, although it was under thrown.

Mike Thomas chopped up DJ Swearinger on a 1 on 1 rep. Thomas still impressing.

Joseph seemed to know what was coming & cut underneath Andre Johnson & picked off Ryan Fitzpatrick in 1 on 1s

Travis Labhart got a roar out of the crowd when he beat Josh Victorian on a "go" and highpointed the ball. #Texans

Brandon Harris got the best of Keshawn Martin & recorded a PBU in 1s. #Texans

AJ Bouye was tight on EZ & forced a breakup in 1 on 1s. #Texans

In 1 on 1 battles, Joseph blanketed Posey, but DeVier still made the catch. #Texans

Johnathan Joseph & Jadeveon Clowney are still not full-go. Both players haven't been involved in 7 on 7s or 11 on 11s.

Dennis Johnson dropped two easy passes today at #TexansTC . Less than stellar performance, although, his cuts were sharp as usual.

Any word on what happened or when he left...
Nobody seems worried about it. Something tightened up or he just gave himself the rest of the day off. (veteran)

I've been to a lot of training camp practices and I always remember the starters getting most of the reps. At least that's what I seem to recall. Could be wrong.

07/27/2014 -- The Texans have waived the following players - injured: Alan Bonner and Cody White

07/27/2014 -- The Texans have waived the following player – left squad: Anthony Dima

07/27/2014 -- The Texans have signed the following players: Quentin Groves and Lawrence Sidbury
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2361209#post2361209

21 Training Camp Observations: Day 2
Texans Analyst John Harris shared his observations from Day 2 of training camp.

5. Former Nebraska defensive end Jason Ankrah continues to make progress as an OLB in this system. Watching him in a 1-on-1 passing drill against TE and RB, he matched cuts in a pass route as you'd expect a veteran to do. Quite impressive. More on him in a bit.

8. A tradition following hockey games is to name the game's three star players. If I followed that trend, I'd definitely make former Vanderbilt CB Andre Hal a Day Two 3-star player. He made an extraordinary interception on a deep ball as he was 1-on-1 with Andre Johnson. I'm not exactly sure how he drew that assignment but it's the kind of thing that can buoy a young man's confidence. I watched Hal after that play for the rest of practice and that play seemed to give him a boost confidence-wise. He's going to get better day by day as well; that's great news.

9. He wasn't the only rookie CB to make an impression. Former NDSU star Marcus Williams picked off a pass during team against Keenum and it's evident his confidence is gaining as well.

10. Watching WR Mike Thomas in 1-on-1 drills, I don't recall a S/LB or anyone for that matter that even came close to matching him step for step. He's an interior route running maestro.
12. I've seen every football workout this team's had since April and I don't know that I've seen Ryan Fitzpatrick as dialed in as he was to start 7-on-7. He hit Dre between the numbers on a deep out. He dropped a dime on Keshawn Martin 45 yards downfield. He then completed the next three in a row. 5 reps. 5 completions. Ball didn't hit the ground. The best I've seen him sling it as a Texan.

13. To my Aggie friends out there, be proud, VERY proud, of the two Aggies on this team. I don't know what the future holds for EZ Nwachukwu and rookie Travis Labhart, but both of them are going to make roster cut time extremely difficult for the coaching staff. Labhart dropped a quick screen early in practice but caught everything else, including a deep ball behind a Texans DB. I remarked to Marc Vandermeer during practice that only Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins have caught more balls than Nwachkwu. He gets open and hangs on.

14. It's hard to imagine that two months ago, Lacolton Bester was an unsigned player on a tryout. He's made an impression, including on a diving catch in 7-on-7 from Tom Savage.

15. Oh, if you ever had any worry about the Texans challenging defenses down the field, well, don't anymore. Texans' quarterbacks threw it deep more than I can ever remember in a practice.

17. I mentioned Ankrah earlier and it's a name that you may hear more and more. During 7-on-7, he locked up with TE Garrett Graham on a corner route. The rookie matched Graham step for step. Keenum tried to get Graham the ball but Ankrah's coverage thwarted a completion. After the play, linebackers coach Mike Vrabel celebrated with Ankrah with a jumping butt bump...I don't know, maybe that celebration has a name, but I will tell you Coach Vrabel still has some hops.

Anybody see how my guy Witzmann is doing?

I think he makes it to the PS this yr, along with Labhart.

Arian riding off into the sunset on a cart is not anything that any of us would want to see.........but with his past history of hamstring, calf and back problems, it is not anything that surprises me. And OB saying "I don't think it's anything" (a phrase he has used in the past and......) doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling...

Arian Foster sustained a hamstring injury this morning, sources say. They feel comfortable now, that's it's nothing more severe. #Texans

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not super worried if Arian can't play again. Loved the guy a few years ago, but I'd be ok.

I do hope he can come back strong though because we are better with him.

Seems as though Arian having some kind of training camp injury has been the norm, oh well as long as he is good to go game 1 of regular season is all i care about.
Surely you're not taking this as a good thing....

Nobody seems worried about it. Something tightened up or he just gave himself the rest of the day off. (veteran)

No one on the Texans usually seem too worried about anything when it comes to potential injuries. You usually don't take the cart as you exit for vacation from the rest of practice. If things tightened up on him, that's how things started with his hammy, calf and back..........you can take your pick. We'll see if he has any limitations in next practices.

Yeah, this year's WR stories are going to be an interesting one to follow.

Strange that so far (and of course it's only two practices in) but so far EZ appears to be this year's Alec Lemon and Alec Lemon appears to be this year's lemon.

Surely you're not taking this as a good thing....

haha no but what else is there to do, it just seems that every season Arian has some of training camp injury. One season he came out and had a good season the next he played half the season and went on IR. Could go either way.

Alan bonner waived...???

Aaaaaannnnd....another one bites the dust.

Almost comical at this point.

One year removed from the 2013 draft and we are down 5 players. I am doubting that Trevardo Williams makes the team either. Terrible to think that out of 9 picks we could have only 3 still on the team after one season.

haha no but what else is there to do, it just seems that every season Arian has some of training camp injury. One season he came out and had a good season the next he played half the season and went on IR. Could go either way.
Take it for what it is: a bad thing.

Arian Foster sustained a hamstring injury this morning, sources say. They feel comfortable now, that's it's nothing more severe. #Texans

It has to be severe to feel uncomfortable?????? For someone who has had a history of multiple significant recurrent hamstring problems in the past, it is likely to continue to show its ugly head. The potential negative affect on mechanics can then increase the chances of him re-aggravating his calf and/or his back. We can hope it passes benignly........but, unlike the Texans staff, I will remain uncomfortable.

It has to be severe to feel uncomfortable?????? For someone who has had a history of multiple significant recurrent hamstring problems in the past, it is likely to continue to show its ugly head. The potential negative affect on mechanics can then increase the chances of him re-aggravating his calf and/or his back. We can hope it passes benignly........but, unlike the Texans staff, I will remain uncomfortable.

Last year was Foster's first year where he sustained a major injury. Yes he seems to always have some sort of lower leg issue but usually it's not a major problem.

4 years starting with 5k yards and 45 TD's. Little bit of wear on those tires sure, but nothing to get to worked up about.

Last year was Foster's first year where he sustained a major injury. Yes he seems to always have some sort of lower leg issue but usually it's not a major problem.

Are you forgetting the 2011 preseason and regular season?

Arian Foster pulled himself out of the second day of Texans training camp on Sunday, favoring his left hamstring and lower back.

Foster, 27, pulled up during a group session, walked over to a team trainer and began grasping for and working on his leg and back.

He tested it later, re-entering the session, taking one rep and going full speed, but pulled himself out after and didn’t return.
link

4 years starting with 5k yards and 45 TD's. Little bit of wear on those tires sure, but nothing to get to worked up about.

He averaged 371 touches over 3 seasons. That's 1115 touches over a 3 year span. His ypc went from 4.9 to 4.5 to 4.1 over those three seasons and then he broke down. Now he's getting carted off the field early in TC.

He has a lot of wear on those tires. I hope he comes back to his old self as he is still young but I'm reminded of Larry Johnson. I have to side with Doc on this, I am much more concerned than Billly B seems to be.

He averaged 371 touches over 3 seasons. That's 1115 touches over a 3 year span. His ypc went from 4.9 to 4.5 to 4.1 over those three seasons and then he broke down. Now he's getting carted off the field early in TC.

He has a lot of wear on those tires. I hope he comes back to his old self as he is still young but I'm reminded of Larry Johnson. I have to side with Doc on this, I am much more concerned than Billly B seems to be.

You leave out that his ypc were back up to 4.5 before he broke down last year.

You leave out that his ypc were back up to 4.5 before he broke down last year.

I also left out that Larry Johnson went from 3.5 to 4.5 ypc before breaking down altogether.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a little tread left, I'm just saying I'm not betting on him having a lot. I won't be the one to pick him in my Fantasy Football league. I always hope for the best with the Texans but I have been worried about Foster getting run into the ground for a while now.

I also left out that Larry Johnson went from 3.5 to 4.5 ypc before breaking down altogether.

Which makes no difference to my statement.

Invoking LJ's name doesn't solve the omission. LJ also crossed the 400 carry threshold and Foster was 65 carries less at his highest.

Invoking LJ's name doesn't solve the omission.

I also omitted his rookie year but that's beside the point. Had he played an entire season last year he might not have ended at 4.5 yards per, with the smaller sample size and all. But you know what they say about statistics.

My point was that historically when you give a RB that many touches they break down and IMO Foster broke down last year. The same thing has happened to countless RB's and LJ was just the first example that popped into my head.

Invoking LJ's name doesn't solve the omission. LJ also crossed the 400 carry threshold and Foster was 65 carries less at his highest.

To the edited part.

LJ only lasted 2 seasons the last one being the 416 carry season. Also Foster had more catches per season during that stretch than Larry did during his stretch.

Are you really saying that since AF didn't have quite as many touches as LJ that he hasn't been worn down? I brought up LJ because I can't think of anybody that has ever had as many touches as him in such a short amount of time, not as a measure of normal RB usage.

How about Terrell Davis?

3 years of over 300 touches and then he was done. Great player that will go into the HOF but he only had 3 really good seasons. That's probably the best comparison I can think of seeing as how they ran the same offense under the same coordinator.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a little tread left, I'm just saying I'm not betting on him having a lot. I won't be the one to pick him in my Fantasy Football league. I always hope for the best with the Texans but I have been worried about Foster getting run into the ground for a while now.

I think to much is made out of YPC (thank you nick wright). Emmett Smith averaged 4.2 ypc over his career. In fact in 15 years he averaged over 4.5 ypc 2 times. Smith had over 300 touches 7 times.

IMO the only current back in the league that may be better than Foster is Peterson, however Peterson is not the receiver that Foster is.

To the edited part.

LJ only lasted 2 seasons the last one being the 416 carry season. Also Foster had more catches per season during that stretch than Larry did during his stretch.

Are you really saying that since AF didn't have quite as many touches as LJ that he hasn't been worn down? I brought up LJ because I can't think of anybody that has ever had as many touches as him in such a short amount of time, not as a measure of normal RB usage.

How about Terrell Davis?

3 years of over 300 touches and then he was done. Great player that will go into the HOF but he only had 3 really good seasons. That's probably the best comparison I can think of seeing as how they ran the same offense under the same coordinator.

You're the one being fascinated with carries so don't be cavalier about them. LJ had 416 carries in one season. Try looking up how many backs have ever crossed 400. Ricky Williams never made 400. Now try looking up how many have hit 350. One you'll find with carries much more similar to Foster is Adrian Peterson but that wouldn't sell the plot.

or comfortably numb, patient/doctor choice!

On a TC side note, I'm headed to eagles TC for military day. Hopefully I can get our former players to sign my 2011 division champs shirt, and meco signs the rookie card I have of him.

I don't know what the stats say, but I don't think Arian has looked as 'bouncy' as he did a few seasons ago...

Injuries, age, wear....expected...

I hope he can get back in good health.

But I'm more willing to heed CND's cautions because he's CND.

James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Arian Foster is not in pads or cleats. Was getting hamstring worked on (didn't finish the day) yesterday B4 leaving early on cart.

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein
Arian Foster already sitting out of practice is a concern whether it is considered “cautionary” or not. Texans must have a run presence.

But I'm more willing to heed CND's cautions because he's CND.

To be clear, I am not dubious about CnD's concerns at all. I just don't buy Foster's demise based solely on hitting 350+ carries once. The list of players who have hit 350 plus carries looks like a HoF display not a trash heap of 1 and dones. Multiple time players include, Emmitt, Curtis Martin, Edge James, Dickerson, Payton, Bettis, Campbell, Williams, George, Davis...

To be clear, I am not dubious about CnD's concerns at all. I just don't buy Foster's demise based solely on hitting 350+ carries once. The list of players who have hit 350 plus carries looks like a HoF display not a trash heap of 1 and dones. Multiple time players include, Emmitt, Curtis Martin, Edge James, Dickerson, Payton, Bettis, Campbell, Williams, George, Davis...

Yeah...that's a good point...

Hard to say definitively that had Arian carried the ball fewer times he'd be healthier.

Well, it's hard for me to say...I really have no idea why he's had the injury problems.

Back