Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans 2014 Training Camp

And no one is tired of hearing that he's not....after just 8 games? If that's the case, Peyton Manning should have been cut after his 1-7 record (0-8), 55.1% compl (54.2%), 11/16 TD/INT ratio (9/6), 6.4 Y/A (7.0), and 64.5 passer rating (78.2) first 8 games. And that was from a #1 pick, not a UDFA.

*Case's #'s in ()

Peyton Manning: #1 Overall Draft Pick
Case Keenum: Undrafted

See the difference in patience there? Uttering Keenum's name in the same sentence as Peyton Manning is nothing short of blasphemy. lol

Teams do not have time to hold an undrafted players hand for 2 or three years to see if he pans out. Especially with a very impatient fan base and media breathing down the necks of the ownership and coaching staff. People's jobs are on the line. It's not just all about Keenum.

Keenum got more of a shot than pretty much any other UDFA in the history of the NFL when his number was called. I like our chances better with the man with more experience and I do not want to see another 2-14 season or worse, and that is what you will get with Keenum under center IMHO.

You either cant see or won't see. Hopefully it's nothing venereal.

Great insight. You're more of a case hater than anyone on this board is a case homer. You provide no insight or facts and continually insult people. You're a joke.

Great insight. You're more of a case hater than anyone on this board is a case homer. You provide no insight or facts and continually insult people. You're a joke.
I'm not a Case hater. If he performs better than Fitz, I want him to start. He simply didn't last week.

If I was hating on Case, I'd be calling for Savage to be the backup so he could get more reps.

Peyton Manning: #1 Overall Draft Pick
Case Keenum: Undrafted

See the difference in patience there? Uttering Keenum's name in the same sentence as Peyton Manning is nothing short of blasphemy. lol

Teams do not have time to hold an undrafted players hand for 2 or three years to see if he pans out. Especially with a very impatient fan base and media breathing down the necks of the ownership and coaching staff. People's jobs are on the line. It's not just all about Keenum.

Keenum got more of a shot than pretty much any other UDFA in the history of the NFL when his number was called. I like our chances better with the man with more experience and I do not want to see another 2-14 season or worse, and that is what you will get with Keenum under center IMHO.

Not hat I want Case to start but he's atleast on par with Fitz. Regardless who's the starting QB the Texans aren't going 2-14 next yr. The combination of bad luck and poor coaching isn't happening again this yr, is it?

Not hat I want Case to start but he's atleast on par with Fitz. Regardless who's the starting QB the Texans aren't going 2-14 next yr. The combination of bad luck and poor coaching isn't happening again this yr, is it?

I think if Keenum were on par with Fitz, he would get the starting job. I have said before the difference for me is just experience. I think they both suck, but Fitz, because of his experience should suck just a bit less.

I think if Keenum were on par with Fitz, he would get the starting job. I have said before the difference for me is just experience. I think they both suck, but Fitz, because of his experience should suck just a bit less.

While we agree they both suck, Fitz has 10 yrs of experience sucking. Atleast there's hope Case can improve.

BvfKGOyIQAEPFye.jpg

We have more Manziel homers than Case homers anyways, and folks that is just plain sad.
Yeah, that's right. It was the same way with Vince Young. He had more homers than the Texans did, even on that other board.
Dpn't give up on Savage yet. His rookie flaws are the kind that can be unlearned.

When it comes to necks, peyton cannot throw stones..

:htown2atx:

McGobbler - Hold on Peyton, let me get this piece of burger out of my teeth

*Peyton thinking to himself* It's a wonder this rolling ball of lard is still above ground.....where the hell is his neck

On 610 they just said that Tania Ganguli and Stephanie Stradley got into a word fight over Arian's behavior.
$100 on Steph. Lawyers are tenacious. :kitten:

I like our chances better with the man with more experience and I do not want to see another 2-14 season or worse, and that is what you will get with Keenum under center IMHO.
More experience doing what exactly? Mediocre might be a stretch.

PLAYMAKERS
Dealt the difficult task of handling J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney, the offensive line performed fairly well. Ryan Clady handled Clowney with relative ease during 1-on-1 drills and kept the pair mostly away from Manning in team drills.

Chris Clark held his own against Watt in 1-on-1s, stoning him cold on the first attempt before battling to keep him away from the center of the pocket on the second.

Louis Vasquez handled his assignments as he usually does, without any glaring mistakes. Orlando Franklin got his hands up high a bit at times, but overall was steady. He also worked to get 15 or 20 yards downfield on a screen to C.J. Anderson, clearing the way for a big gain.

The Broncos unit that shined brightest had to be the pass rush, led by an increasingly agile Von Miller. He won both of his 1-on-1 matchups in pass rush drills and provided pressure throughout the team periods. The Texans sent myriad blocking schemes at Miller without much success, as No. 58 found his way to Ryan Fitzpatrick with speed and power on multiple occasions.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...ick-Hits/f088594b-c32d-4a8f-9c4e-26b38fa50f4b

Half of 2013 wasn't meaningful?

I mean this pre season, we can say what we want about last season but he was not the only reason we lost all 7 games with him. And i would say he played pretty well considering the circumstances.

Hell his first start he had no running backs and we lost by 1 to an undefeated team at their house.

To be fair...That was from a broncos guy...

John Harris' review was a little more positive:

4. FB Jay Prosch has worn a massive club on his left hand for a couple of weeks. Watching him during individual periods since the Club first arrived, I can't remember him dropping a pass. Today, he caught everything thrown to him, no coverage mind you, but still, that's not an easy feat. Here do this for me if you think it is, go find a boxing glove and put it on one of your hands and tell me how your day goes.

5. One of the most underappreciated aspects of Manning's game is his ball handling and ball faking. He sells play action as well as any QB ever.

6. That said, his furor about his team's workout was valid. But more of his ire was back at himself. He pointed out that he wasn't close to being happy with his performance. He missed open receivers throughout the day, including a deep ball in 1-on-1 to Andre Caldwell who had a half step on a Texans DB.

7. The individual play of the day in my opinion was made by Kareem Jackson. During 1-on-1 DB/WR

drills, he was matched up with Demaryius Thomas. The Broncos receiver ran a deep comeback but he sold the route with a couple of quick changes of direction before he broke the route to the sideline. Jackson stayed in his hip pocket the entire time and when Manning threw to the sideline 25 in white caught the ball as 88 in orange lay prone on the field watching.

8. CB Elbert Mack returned this week and made two tremendous pass break ups on consecutive plays. First, he ran with a post route and went over the top of the receiver to break up one play. Then, on the very next down, he broke on a flat route and knocked that away too.

9. Speaking of the deep ball, Manning and the Broncos quarterbacks didn't hit the deep ball much throughout the day.

10. During one of the last team periods, Manning noticed the Texans in dime man coverage. Just prior to the snap, he yelled out a one word call. I'm not sure if that then alerted the offense where he was going with the ball, but he eyed Welker in the slot on a seam route against Jackson. The pass fell incomplete and was the symbol of a tough day of practice.

11. After practice, I saw Broncos WR Wes Welker talking at length with Bill O'Brien, forgetting how much time those two spent together in New England. Welker is just so difficult to cover in the slot. In

1-on-1s against the Texans interior cover guys, safeties and linebackers, Welker shook poor ILB Akeem Dent for an easy catch and run. I say poor guy because no linebacker has any chance of staying with Welker without holding or tackling him.

12. On the other field, Texans WR Travis Labhart continued to channel his inner Welker, making a couple of catches in 1-on-1 against Broncos DB. QB Case Keenum fit both balls into him beautifully.

13. Keenum is a backshoulder throwing wizard and he stuck one to Lacoltan Bester for another completion later in the same drill.

14. I did see one rep of Andre Johnson during 1-on-1 vs. Omar Bolden. As with his counterpart Thomas, the vet Johnson knows the subtle ways to get open and did against Bolden, who held Dre for a flag.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...n-Denver/39451f4d-a08b-43fb-8fd2-5fbb02caffe7

Here Case skeptic = Case hater

And skeptical is all anyone should be 8 games into anyone's career.

Nobody's saying Case is going to be Peyton after 8 games because their numbers are similar. At least that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that 8 games does not a career make or define.

Case has a long way to go just to be a competent starter in this league. But so does just about every QB who's ever played this game after 8 games.

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
Manning throws two TDs. Shortly thereafter, batted pass by Crick and then a pass break up by Brandon Harris. #Texans

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock
RT @Jeff_Legwold: #Broncos getting ready to take Jordan Norwood off field on cart ... Leg injury

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Like Chris Myers safety Shiloh Keo is working out but not with the team.

John McClain ✔ @McClain_on_NFL
Perfect pass from Fitzpatrick to Fiedorowicz into corner of end zone for red zone TD.

The more I see of rookie RB Alfred Blue the more I like. He's running with authority.

CJ Fiedorowicz with a TD. That guy can do everything. Zero problems catching the ball. #Texans

Working on red zone offense against Broncos Case Keenum throws TD pass over middle to Ronnie Brown.

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
All 3 #Texans QBs find endzone during redzone work 11-on-11s vs. Broncos defense.

In 1 on 1 drills Denver OT Chris Clark shoves JJ Watt after play. JJ lost his helmet. Clark was flagged for penalty.

Watt to OT Greg Clark after 1-on-1 drill in which Watt's helmet came off and Watt shoved him and drew flag "Don't get mad when u get beat."

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
"Don't get mad when you get beat," Watt to Broncos RT Chris Clark during o-line/d-line drills.

Ryan Fitzpatrick with nice throw, Arian Foster nice catch in end zone.

Two nice throws and TD catches. Fitz to Posey and then Fitz to Foster. Decent coverage, better catches. #texans

Great catch by Posey in corner of end zone despite terrific coverage by CB Omar Bolden. Went up for ball and took it away.

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
Nate Irving picks #Texans' Fitzpatrick. Smooth runback. #Broncos go wild. Fitz follows with nice back shoulder connection with Graham.

#Texans' best practice of season thus far in terms of mutual competition, execution. Sharp football by both teams. #Broncos #NFL

Foster has looked great as receiver. Total mismatch. #Texans

Nice days thus far from #Texans' Fitzpatrick, Posey, Foster, Savage. Posey with a couple excellent moves. Savage sharp in red zone. #Broncos

#Texans' Watt, Broncos' Clark get into it. Watt: "Don't get mad when you get beat!"

Full situational runs for Fitz, Keenum, Savage. Same for Denver QBs

Fitzsneak for two! #Texans

Fitz is already better today. TD to Fiedorowicz

Arian Foster with first team again

Ben Jones is back

Clowney deflects Peyton pass at line

Brian Cushing running first team with #Texans' D. ... Two quick TDs for Jedi Manning. #Broncos

#Texans' Fitzpatrick to Johnson, left corner https://vine.co/v/MLzdvEw7xr9

Ben Jones walking off. Looks temporary

#Texans' Clowney, Mercilus, coached by Vrabel. #Broncos https://vine.co/v/MLzXDilPWKq

#Texans' Chris Myers working out on side field. Not in uniform. #NFL #Broncos
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Jj Watt bull rushes right tackle Chris Clark, pushes him several yards back. Clark knocks his helmet off, pushes to face. Flag is thrown

Clowney up close is no joke. JJ Watt showing him some technique right now. Doing some swim moves. This will be a killer duo
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Travis Labhart, the rookie WR FA from A and M, continues to impress. Just made two splendid catches.

Foster's always been a terrific receiver. Averaged more than 10 yards a catch three years ago.

Arian Foster looks better in practice today than anytime since before he suffered his back injury last season.

Great catch by Posey in corner of end zone despite terrific coverage by CB Omar Bolden. Went up for ball and took it away.

Watt to OT Greg Clark after 1-on-1 drill in which Watt's helmet came off and Watt shoved him and drew flag "Don't get mad when u get beat."

Working on red zone offense against Broncos Case Keenum throws TD pass over middle to Ronnie Brown.

The more I see of rookie RB Alfred Blue the more I like. He's running with authority.

Perfect pass from Fitzpatrick to Fiedorowicz into corner of end zone for red zone TD.

James Ferentz is still at center with Chris Myers in shorts and T shirt.
Two nice throws and TD catches. Fitz to Posey and then Fitz to Foster. Decent coverage, better catches. #texans

JJ Watt beats Denver tackle Chris Clark one on one. Clark then reaches out to knock off Watt's helmet, which revealed a big grin. #Texans

CJ Fiedorowicz with a TD. That guy can do everything. Zero problems catching the ball. #Texans

Chris Myers not in uniform again today, working out by himself. #Texans

Manning throws two TDs. Shortly thereafter, batted pass by Crick and then a pass break up by Brandon Harris. #Texans
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Clowney is now wearing a t shirt and shorts. Not sure when hat happened or what happened.

Former Buckeye DeVier Posey with a very impressive catch in coverage in the endzone. Also shows great sportsmanship post catch.

Fitz with two great touch passes for TDs to Foster and Posey. Good routes, better throws though.

Watching one on one's, Louis Nix has a long way to go. Powe way ahead.

I would have tweeted what JJ said, but I follow the rules.

Chris Clark was just owned on a one on one by JJ Watt. Watt's helmet came off and Clark slapped JJ in the face after the play. Flag.

The more I watch practice the more CJ Fiedorowicz impresses. He's stealing targets and reps from others

Touchdown Broncos.

Full pads today with the Broncos and Texans. Some decent contact on kickoff coverage right now

Ben Jones back on the field

Ben Jones headed to the locker room with head trainer. Doesn't seem like a big deal. Walking fine. No real concern it seems
Ryan Fitzpatrick gets picked by Denver LB Nate Irving.

Ryan Fitzpatrick with nice throw, Arian Foster nice catch in end zone.

In 1 on 1 drills Denver OT Chris Clark shoves JJ Watt after play. JJ lost his helmet. Clark was flagged for penalty.

Rookie RB Alfred Blue with a nice run.

Ryan Fitzpatrick connects with rookie TE CJ Fiedorowicz for a TD in 11 on 11.

Like Chris Myers safety Shiloh Keo is working out but not with the team.

Texans DE Jared Crick deflects a Peyton Manning pass.

Lindsay Jones ✔ @bylindsayhjones
Jadeveon Clowney just went to Houston medical tent during 9-on-7 drills. He was walking OK, but looked uncomfortable.

Travis Labhart, the rookie WR FA from A and M, continues to impress. Just made two splendid catches.

Ryan Fitzpatrick gets picked by Denver LB Nate Irving.

Fitzpatrick has rebounded with an excellent practice. Just threw ideal back shoulder TD pass to Garrett Graham just across goal line.
ExpandReplyRetweet

1 of the game officials working Texans-Broncos practice said after he threw yet another flag "I'm going to need a new one(flag) after this."

Deepi Sidhu @DeepSlant
"That's a man's catch," @LopezOnSports after a TD catch by Andre Johnson, keeping feet in bounds in the back of the endzone. #Agree

What TD pass from Fitzpatrick to Andre in back of ez. Fitz running left, threw to middle and Andre leaping catch and toe dance.

Texans CB Elbert Mack with a pick 6

Elbert Mack with a pick six and Swearinger, Vrabel and Victorian chasing him into the end zone. #Texans

Jadeveon Clowney was taken to the medical tent midway through a joint practice against the Denver Broncos on Wednesday morning.

Trainers removed Clowney's shoulder pads, and he pointed at the left side of his neck as he sat on a table.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on-clowney-practice-broncos-houston/14343555/

EDIT/add from Klis:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis
Jacob Tamme-J. Clowney collided helmets during 9 on 7 drill. Clowney shaken up - sat out rest of practice

Last edited:
No people who are so uptight and choose to be offended by everything under the sun need to die off. Was the "cat fight" stuff sophomoric? Yes, but it was said in jest and people need to grow thicker skin and stop taking crap so seriously.

To each their own. There's a difference in saying 'cat fight' and someone saying we should pour oil on them and sell tickets for charity.

I'm done sitting quietly when I see stuff cross the line. I'm not a moderator here and I don't know you personally in any way. You have a right to disrespect people and I have a right to voice my opinion about it. If you can't handle it, you can either learn some respect or ignore me

Clowney is still in the medical tent but he seems to just be sitting there. Could be an indication it's nothing alarming. #Texans

Peyton Manning picked off by DJ Swearinger.

Brian T. Smith ✔ @ChronBrianSmith
Brian Cushing running first team with #Texans' D. ... Two quick TDs for Jedi Manning. #Broncos
Retweeted by John McClain

Brian T. Smith ✔ @ChronBrianSmith
Ryan Fitzpatrick is on. Killer delayed route to Johnson in back of end zone. Ball thrown high, so only leaping Johnson could grab. TD.
Retweeted by John McClain

Finally some good old fashioned pushing and shoving between Texans and Broncos at end of practice.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones
Teams had to be separated after the final horn. Didn't see any punches, just pushing and yelling naughty words.

Pretty lame scrum started between Broncos D and Texans O. Both benches mosied over, yelled at each other. Saw someone spike a FB. Zzzzzz.

Manning picked off in two-minute drill by Hou safety DJ Swearinger. Someone's going. Be cranky again.

Meh...
smileys-beating-and-fighting-498920.gif

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
Practice is over, some guys headed to the bus and JJ Watt is on his knees beating up a blocking sled

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Savage on Manning "I'd never met him. He gave me some advice that'll help me. He was very gracious. He didn't have to do that."

After practice rookie QB Tom Savage stayed on field doing extra work. Peyton Manning came over and introduced himself.
Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
O'Brien said Fitzpatrick was very good today on first glance
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Andre Johnson on all the flags in preseason, "It slows the game down and honestly kind of makes you hate it"

sounds like we had a great practice today....offense and defense
Yes, sounded like our best practice overall of the off-season -- with the Broncos contributing to that with quality play/reps/players. Will see what the photos tell.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Texans held their own in this session I thought on both sides of the ball. Lot of jawing back and forth as practice winds down.

Back