Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans 2014 Training Camp

After practice rookie QB Tom Savage stayed on field doing extra work. Peyton Manning came over and introduced himself.
That's gotta be a special memory for Savage.

Sounds like Clowney just had his bell rung

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock · 15m
Clowney take RT @MikeKlis: Jacob Tamme-J. Clowney collided helmets during 9 on 7 drill. Clowney shaken up - sat out rest of practice

They all counted.

If Keenum had played about 10% better, he would have been at least the stop gap starter this year. They wouldn't have brought in Fitz, IMO.

What does 10% better mean?

Ha, 10% better include the ability to read defenses, make pre-snap calls, read blitzes to go hot, take check down when it's wide open, get rid of the ball instead of taking 20 yard sacks, etc.

From what I have seen in the two games, Case is still holding the ball too long and not throwing receivers open, instead he's waiting till they get open or throwing into coverage.

I've seen Keenum do some really good things, but then he'll turn around and do something so f'n dumb it makes me want to spit.

I've seen him step up in the pocket. Make multiple reads. Throw a guy open. Throw accurate passes.

But he's not nearly consistent enough.

Keenum is the type of QB that can lead a team all the way down field...have the crowd going nuts...and then throw a pick in the end zone to a WR he had no business throwing to.

He's the kind of QB at this point where he can have a great half...and then fall apart in the second half.

I don't think Kubiak did him or the franchise any favors by pulling him like he did in those games, but he was doing what he thought was best for him and the team...so, whatever...water under the bridge...

Keenum has two more games I think to prove he's a good enough back up QB. And really a good enough back up QB for this team means that you could possible start over Fitzpatrick if it comes to it.

Keenum needs to be a lot more consistent. He needs to learn how to just take his lumps when nothing is there and minimize the damage. If he can do that, I really don't think it's much that he just absolutely can't do. He has mobility, he has a good enough arm. He can throw with touch. He has good enough accuracy.

He needs to get his mind right and just play smarter...IMO...

if foster can stay healthy, he will be great in bob's system. never understood why we didn't utilize him as a receiver the last couple of years after he had that HUGE season catching the ball.

just kubes things, i guess

if foster can stay healthy, he will be great in bob's system. never understood why we didn't utilize him as a receiver the last couple of years after he had that HUGE season catching the ball.

just kubes things, i guess

Kubiak would rather give Foster 350 carries on the first year of his 5 year contract with a healthy Ben Tate on the sidelines.

Ha, 10% better include the ability to read defenses, make pre-snap calls, read blitzes to go hot, take check down when it's wide open, get rid of the ball instead of taking 20 yard sacks, etc.

That, you're talking about some 30% better.
if he had done all the things you wanted, he would have been a bona fide starter that a team can hitch the wagon to.

10% better, he would have been able to deliver 3-4 wins.
20% better, probably 6 or 7.
If he did all the things you asked, he would have been 7-1 or even 8-0 (as he was injured during his last appearance.)

Well that would be better than 10% better being taking an 18 yd sack instead of 20 yds.

I don't think so.
After his first game, taking 5 sacks, Keenum only took 14 in the next 7 games.

A couple was kinda not smart, but the majority of it was on third down, when you either make a play or you're gonna punt any way.

Another 5 or 7 yard loss is not that big of a deal on third down, especially with Lechler as your punter.

It beats throwing a pick six or an INT that the opponent can gain more in field position.

I wish that some of you guys had watched how Fitz play the last two years in the same scrutinize g eyes as you did with Keenum.

You would see a QB that can turn the ball over on the average 2.5 times a game (including fumbles).

It was a good thing that the defenders dropped some sure thing that Fitz threw right into their laps.

Keenum was already better than that guy.

OB did mention that Fitz needs to cut down on those turnovers even before TC started.
I ddidn't pull those things out of thin air.

I don't think so.

A couple was kinda not smart, but the majority of it was on third down, when you either make a play or you're gonna punt any way.

Another 5 or 7 yard loss is not that big of a deal on third down, especially with Lechler as your punter.

It beats throwing a pick six or an INT that the opponent can gain more in field position.
We all saw what pick 6's lead to in the NFL. :toropalm: I'd prefer a TD, be good with a 1st down, live with a sack and cuss a bunch while throwing many nerf balls at an INT or pick 6.

In your film study, did you happen to note how many times Case was blitzed on 1st and 2nd down and/or his average 3rd down distance?

Please note, I'm not hating...just asking a question!! :worldpeace:

I don't think so.

It's a huge thing as a pattern for a QB. It's stupid and Case kept flirting with/taking intentional grounding calls on top.

And getting rid of the ball means chuck it out of bounds not take a high risk desperation shot at any old WR.

Now that sounds a whole lot more like 16.98794% than 10%. He's gotten all that out of his system now and will be that Coog that we all love to remember.* :kitten:

*Well, except me. Never watched him take a snap in college and not a fan boy. He's got a lot of work to do IMO but I can't say Fitz is beard and shoulders above him.

I wish that some of you guys had watched how Fitz play the last two years in the same scrutinize g eyes as you did with Keenum.

You would see a QB that can turn the ball over on the average 2.5 times a game (including fumbles).

It was a good thing that the defenders dropped some sure thing that Fitz threw right into their laps.

OB did mention that Fitz needs to cut down on those turnovers even before TC started.

I've already made it known that I think all our QBs stink. The Fitz is just the shiniest turn in the group

Fitzpatrick 1 turnover every 16.67 att. + an extra 7.8% completions
Keenum 1 turnover every 21 att.

I don't see any clear winners on that contest of suck.

I'm guilty of this and it's a good point to make, but I never had any reason to ever even consider seeing Fitz in a Texans uniform. I've never seen Case in anything but a Houston uniform, most importantly to me a Texan uniform, so I've had a very keen interest in how he performs.

Last preseason, I was all in for Case. After 8 real games, his weaknesses were glaring. I haven't seen any improvement, taking into consideration that he's learning a new system under a new regime. I think he can improve and notice I've never called for him to be cut. I just don't think he's the best QB on the roster right now. I'd like to see him get some time with the 1's this preseason to get a better handle on where he is.

I think if Keenum were on par with Fitz, he would get the starting job. I have said before the difference for me is just experience. I think they both suck, but Fitz, because of his experience should suck just a bit less.

~Better an interception from a weak throw by an experienced QB than an interception by an inexperienced QB making slow reads. Right? I mean, what is more likely, an old QB getting a stronger arm or a young QB learning to make his reads faster?

What was I thinking?~

We all saw what pick 6's lead to in the NFL. :toropalm: I'd prefer a TD, be good with a 1st down, live with a sack and cuss a bunch while throwing many nerf balls at an INT or pick 6.

In your film study, did you happen to note how many times Case was blitzed on 1st and 2nd down and/or his average 3rd down distance?

Please note, I'm not hating...just asking a question!! :worldpeace:
I would say that it was fairly standard against a first time starter, especially one with a weak O-line.

I did have some notes scattered throughout many PCs and laptops and notebooks.

The one thing I can say with a straight face is that Keenum could have taken a fetal position sooner and he would have looked better to "some" of the fans, simply because there would be fewer yards loss on the sacks.

He did make a few mistakes, but not much more than or not more than many of the veterans, unless we're talking about the elite ones in the league.

It was obvious that he needs to do better overall.
But no, the blitzes weren't what derailed Keenum in his last 4 games.

It was the whole team's frustration, a long chain of the domino effect.

Now that sounds a whole lot more like 16.98794% than 10%. He's gotten all that out of his system now and will be that Coog that we all love to remember.* :kitten:

*Well, except me. Never watched him take a snap in college and not a fan boy. He's got a lot of work to do IMO but I can't say Fitz is beard and shoulders above him.
Too bad he's not playing AAC

I've already made it known that I think all our QBs stink. The Fitz is just the shiniest turn in the group

Well, it looks like we're dealing with a chrome plated pig with bright red lipstick at QB this year. Should be interesting.

~Better an interception from a weak throw by an experienced QB than an interception by an inexperienced QB making slow reads. Right? I mean, what is more likely, an old QB getting a stronger arm or a young QB learning to make his reads faster?

What was I thinking?~
So you're in the Savage for QB camp? Definitely the strongest arm. least experienced QB on the Texans. Not even debatable. Case as his backup?

I would say that it was fairly standard against a first time starter, especially one with a weak O-line.

I did have some notes scattered throughout many PCs and laptops and notebooks.

The one thing I can say with a straight face is that Keenum could have taken a fetal position sooner and he would have looked better to "some" of the fans, simply because there would be fewer yards loss on the sacks.

He did make a few mistakes, but not much more than or not more than many of the veterans, unless we're talking about the elite ones in the league.

It was obvious that he needs to do better overall.
But no, the blitzes weren't what derailed Keenum in his last 4 games.

It was the whole team's frustration, a long chain of the domino effect.

By this I mean teams will throw a few more blitzes at you as long as you can't seem to handle it.
A veteran QB can handle this better than the younger guys.

But also, when the opponents see that the protection iisn't up to sub, they would also dial up their blitzes; it's not rocket science.

Wilson saw a fair amount; to his credit, he was able to avoid quite a few.
But also, the Seahawks can rely on their D and their ST. They had something to fight for, and their entire team kept at it.
The same could.not be said about the Texans.

By this I mean teams will throw a few more blitzes at you as long as you can't seem to handle it.
A veteran QB can handle this better than the younger guys.

But also, when the opponents see that the protection iisn't up to sub, they would also dial up their blitzes; it's not rocket science.
Wilson saw a fair amount; to his credit, he was able to avoid quite a few.
But also, the Seahawks can rely on their D and their ST. They had something to fight for, and their entire team kept at it.
The same could.not be said about the Texans.
A QB that doesn't read blitzes well coupled with poor protection is a recipe for disasters like 0-8 as a starting QB. Of those 8 starts, what would you "predict" a winning % with either a QB that can read the blitz or an OL that provides solid protection? Chicken/egg kind of question.

Your points about Seattle's D and ST are quite valid considering the disproportionate W/L % for games decided by a score or less in 2013.

... I do not want to see another 2-14 season or worse, and that is what you will get with Keenum under center IMHO.
With our overall starting 22 talent, and our schedule, you honestly think Keenum can only direct our team to 1 or 2 wins? If so, there's no use in saying anything more.

With our overall starting 22 talent, and our schedule, you honestly think Keenum can only direct our team to 1 or 2 wins? If so, there's no use in saying anything more.
most of the talent on this team was here in 2013. Why would you expect different with subpar QB play? Might not be as bad as worst record in the NFL, but would be top 5 draft pick.

Majority of these are from DB.com as our "action" photos suck...

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820TEXANSKL--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_8--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_10--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_20--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_21--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_23--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_24--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_25--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_010--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_018--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com/denverbroncos.com

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_019--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG][/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_030--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_046--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_051--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_053--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_062--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.broncos.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BRONCOS/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820_060--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2014/08-August/temp140820SAVAGETANNING--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com/denverbroncos.com

temp140820SAVAGETANNING--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
I hope major osmosis took place during this meeting.

From what I have seen in the two games, Case is still holding the ball too long and not throwing receivers open, instead he's waiting till they get open or throwing into coverage.
OB pointed this out following saturday's game. But it's nothing serious, IMO. More snaps, more experience, will take care of this. On the interception, had he released the ball 2 seconds quicker the safety wouldn't have gotten there to make his play. After coming back to the bench, Case was really studying an iPad replay to see what had gone wrong, because the pass was spot on.

Reading the last couple of pages makes me wish we had a dedicated place to argue about Keenum and or QBs in general rather than in the training camp thread.

If only there was such a place......

Last edited:
Ryan Fitzpatrick has a good day

Quotes: Texans Wednesday Practice at Denver
Head Coach Bill O’Brien
ILB Brian Cushing
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
WR Andre Johnson
WR Travis Labhart
S D.J. Swearinger​

Brian Cushing gets increased practice time, wants to play Saturday

Swearinger: Things Got Chippy

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
#Broncos' Aqib Talib on #Texans' offense: "Alright, man. The O-line looks good. They’re getting the ball out fast. ... Running their show."

#Broncos' Rahim Moore: "When the ball is snapped, there (are) no friends at all. I don’t care if that’s your twin brother over there."

#Broncos' Rahim Moore: "This just shows you that the #Texans, they’re not going to back down. They’re no punks and neither are we." #NFL

#Texans' Swearinger: "The (#Texans') offense did great. It ran the ball down (the #Broncos') throat." #NFL

Reading the last couple of pages makes me wish we had a delegate place to argue about Keenum and or QBs in general rather than in the training camp thread.

If only there was such a place......

WOOOOWWWWW people the only one around here allowed to derail threads is me :brando:

That's where I think Keenum has the advantage. Of potential, while Fitz held the edge on experience.

If Keenum manages to have as long a career without getting hurt, I think his final numbers will be betetter.

The Beard, howevdr, has the size that has been helping hom in his career.

I always say that Keenum needs to play smarter to overcome his lack of tangibles (his size).

Fitz has the size, and he isn't dumb (supposedly).
But he made so many unforced errors even after many years in the league; it's hard to see him changing his stripe.

Keenum's mistakes, on the other hand, mostly stemmed from trying to do too much.

To me, this is easier to correct (or less difficult).

I watched all the games Fitz play the last couppe.of years.
He would be fine for a very long stretch and
He's not.totally like Grossman, not quite the high.nor the low; inconsistency just the same.

His mobility is under rated.
He's fairly good at it.
All in all, It might have been something that prevents him from being more accurate on his throws.

I want My QB to utilize the 3, 4, or 5 weapons before he uses himself.
(Exceptions allowed, dependently.)

This makes me feel somewhat better.

The Texans and Broncos kept giving in post-practice interviews.

“We … ran the ball down their throat,” Swearinger said. “I mean, I would get mad.”

Denver safety Rahim Moore: “This just shows you that the Texans, they’re not going to back down. They’re no punks and neither are we.”

He added: “When the ball is snapped, there (are) no friends at all. I don’t care if that’s your twin brother over there.”

Just read a bulletin so Clowney leaving practice 45 min. early. Seems to be having some injury problems. No real info. on injury so I was hoping there may be sometime new on this.

That's where I think Keenum has the advantage. Of potential, while Fitz held the edge on experience.

If Keenum manages to have as long a career without getting hurt, I think his final numbers will be betetter.

The Beard, howevdr, has the size that has been helping hom in his career.

I always say that Keenum needs to play smarter to overcome his lack of tangibles (his size).

Fitz has the size, and he isn't dumb (supposedly).
But he made so many unforced errors even after many years in the league; it's hard to see him changing his stripe.

Keenum's mistakes, on the other hand, mostly stemmed from trying to do too much.

To me, this is easier to correct (or less difficult).

I watched all the games Fitz play the last couppe.of years.
He would be fine for a very long stretch and
He's not.totally like Grossman, not quite the high.nor the low; inconsistency just the same.

His mobility is under rated.
He's fairly good at it.
All in all, It might have been something that prevents him from being more accurate on his throws.

I want My QB to utilize the 3, 4, or 5 weapons before he uses himself.
(Exceptions allowed, dependently.)
Sounds like you haven't watched Fitz much in the past either and might be coming around to the dark side and thinking Fitz might be able to put together a decent year? Anyone but Grossman or Gabbert is my battle cry!!!

:thinking:

You're fooling yourself if you think one of these turds is shinier than the other. The only difference to me, is that one has already matured & still stinks. The other might not stink after a little curing.

Sounds like you haven't watched Fitz much in the past either and might be coming around to the dark side and thinking Fitz might be able to put together a decent year? Anyone but Grossman or Gabbert is my battle cry!!!

No, all I'm saying is that if there's a fair turn in the moon, we can have a playoff year.
The odds aaren't quite ghere,.
But if Fitz can hold his turnover rate to less than 1.5 a game, I would not blame him a bitn (gi en his ordinary numbers otherwise.)

The question is why I should settle for this.
Fitz is a waste of time (not to say that he's terrible).
If I was OB, I would prep Keenum, with Savage in the Wing.

Could be a good thing how OB wants to challenge Keenum.
He would need to pass all the tests or ever remain a backup in the NFL.

Back