Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2014 Training Camp

Are you in Denver watching these skirmishes? Are they throwing more punches? harder punches? Fights lasting longer? Were there not fights last year and previous years? Were you there to watch those fights in order to make an accurate comparison of attitudes? What exactly are the parameters that you're using to make the attitude comparisons?

What's your thoughts on Clowney making highlight after highlight this preseason?

Beginning to think someone went missing... :thinking:

Greg Bailey ‏@GregBailey13

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

If there was a helmet-to-helmet crash with Tamii as reported, then my guess is that Clowney is undergoing the required concussion checkout regimen. And that would probably put him out of service until the weekend.

Are you in Denver watching these skirmishes? Are they throwing more punches? harder punches? Fights lasting longer? Were there not fights last year and previous years? Were you there to watch those fights in order to make an accurate comparison of attitudes? What exactly are the parameters that you're using to make the attitude comparisons?
Just going by updates/reports I read. A lot more physicality during camp than I could remember. Not trying to make a case about it being better or worse, just sharing an opinion.

Anything on RG Brooks or Luis Nix? I thought both went to Denver?

From what I heard about Brooks, he's looking rusty but surprisingly good. He's getting limited snaps to ease him in.

Nix is way behind at this point and struggling to catch up. At least, that's what I've been hearing.

Are you not reading the updates? When did we ever see that in previous years, especially two weeks in a row?
I don't recall us going against other teams two weeks in a row but I remember plenty of fights when we used to scrimmage against the Saints. In fact, one year it got so bad Payton and Kubiak cut the scrimmages short. And I don't mean practice ended early that day, I mean the coaches ended them for the rest of the week. Whoever the visitor were got in their team bus and went back home. And this was during one of the 8-8 years.

So to say we didn't fight or we weren't tough in previous seasons because now you're hearing about some little pushing matches, well, you weren't paying attention.

Edit:
It was during the 2009 season...
large_21saints01.jpg

Last edited:
Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
"I have no interest in fighting someone when I beat you. ... That's why I don't normally get into fights." J.J. Watt. #Texans

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
"You guys saw what happened yesterday. You win on the field. You don't have to fight if you win on the field." J.J. Watt #Texans

James Palmer ✔ @JPalmerCSN
J.J. Watt on Broncos picking fights with him: “David always wants to take down Goliath. “ never seen players want to fight after being beat.

If this was anyone else, we'd be talking about how unsmart this is.

I don't recall us going against other teams two weeks in a row but I remember plenty of fights when we used to scrimmage against the Saints. In fact, one year it got so bad Payton and Kubiak cut the scrimmages short. And I don't mean practice ended early, I mean the ended them for the rest of the week. And this was during one of the 8-8 years.

So to say we didn't fight or we weren't tough in previous seasons because now you're hearing about some little pushing matches, well, you weren't paying attention.

Yeah, great, against the douchebag Saints. In case you haven't noticed, there is sort of a rivalry there, due to close proximity.

These are two teams we have no beef with. This is different.

What's your thoughts on Clowney making highlight after highlight this preseason?

Jury is still out. I was really looking forward to see what he do against a quality Pro Bowl player, Ryan Clady. Unfortunately that doesn't look like it will happen this Sat. I put Clowney's 3 highlights in perspective; Highlight #1 came against a Cards TE who was a practice squad player in 2013. Highlight #2 Clowney was unabated, no one put on a hand on Clowney and Highlight #3 was against a LT with a gimpy knee who was returning from previous knee surgery the year before. That knee later gave out and that LT is now on IR for the 2014 season. That is why I was eager to see Clowney against some top notch competition this Sat. to see if he could perform those same highlights. But initially he looks good and promising.

Jury is still out. I was really looking forward to see what he do against a quality Pro Bowl player, Ryan Clady. Unfortunately that doesn't look like it will happen this Sat. I put Clowney's 3 highlights in perspective; Highlight #1 came against a Cards TE who was a practice squad player in 2013. Highlight #2 Clowney was unabated, no one put on a hand on Clowney and Highlight #3 was against a LT with a gimpy knee who was returning from previous knee surgery the year before. That knee later gave out and that LT is now on IR for the 2014 season. That is why I was eager to see Clowney against some top notch competition this Sat. to see if he could perform the same highlights.

He was "unabated" because he was too quick for the guard that was supposed to pull and block him. When the guard took a step back, JDC already blew by him.

Jury is still out. I was really looking forward to see what he do against a quality Pro Bowl player, Ryan Clady. Unfortunately that doesn't look like it will happen this Sat. I put Clowney's 3 highlights in perspective; Highlight #1 came against a Cards TE who was a practice squad player in 2013. Highlight #2 Clowney was unabated, no one put on a hand on Clowney and Highlight #3 was against a LT with a gimpy knee who was returning from previous knee surgery the year before. That knee later gave out and that LT is now on IR for the 2014 season. That is why I was eager to see Clowney against some top notch competition this Sat. to see if he could perform the same highlights.

I agree, it's the preseason.

Let me just say this about that:

He might have been unabated but that wasn't a blown blocking assignment. That was how they drew that play up. The guard faked blocking down and then was supposed to pop out and pick up the OLB, kicking him out and springing the RB. But Clowney MADE that play by not being suckered in and by heading straight to the RB/QB without hesitation.

So, yeah, no one put a hand on Clowney but it was because Clowney made the play, not because the Falcons screwed up.

He was "unabated" because he was too quick for the guard that was supposed to pull and block him. When the guard took a step back, JDC already blew by him.

Beating a slow pulling guard is not a great feat for a pass rusher. In fact you would expect most pass rushers to do just that. And why you hardly ever see pulling guards trying to block a 5 tech rushing the passer.

Here are 10 observations:

1. No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney was nowhere to be found at the practice facility Thursday. He left practice early Wedensday and watched the remainder of practice from the medical tent while sitting on a trainers table. Head coach Bill O'Brien said it's nothing serious.

2. Tyson Clabo was holding a tackling pad getting ready to be hit by Brandon Brooks. Lets just say Clabo had a few choice words before Brooks hit him. They were of the "oh boy here it comes" variety, but a bit more vulgar.

3. J.J. Watt got into it again Thursday. Wednesday was with Chris Clark and Thursday was Orlando Franklin. Watt said David always wants to take down Goliath and added "I have no interest in fighting someone when I beat you. So when I go out there, that's why I don't really get into fights."

4. General Manager Rick Smith raced cornerback Johnathan Joseph after practice. Smith cheated and still lost.

"I cheated big time," Smith said. "I'm smart enough to stack the odds in my favor."

5. On Thursday night, O'Brien will determine if Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph and Jadeveon Clowney will play in the game Saturday. O'Brien said this week is different with the three practices.

5 more at link

Yeah, great, against the douchebag Saints. In case you haven't noticed, there is sort of a rivalry there, due to close proximity.

These are two teams we have no beef with. This is different.
And after all the years he kicked our behinds, we hate Peyton no matter what team he's on. Obviously we can't smack him around but we can whack his teammates upside their heads.

The bottom line is that Clowney isn't susceptible to those sorts of sucker plays so teams aren't going to run them against us.

Clowney was on a B line, he had his ears pinned back. The reason he did't go for the sucker play is because he didn't see a sucker player. Clowney was doing what Clowney does best.

Clowney was on a B line, he had his ears pinned back. The reason he did't go for the sucker play is because he didn't see a sucker player. Clowney was doing what Clowney does best.

Well, you're dead on about that.

So often with a player like a Mario Williams, he'd be in that same situation and he would hesitate. Most players take time reading the play, trying to figure out who has the ball, what they're supposed to do.

What Clowney does best is make the decision and go quickly. He saw the QB handing the ball off and he destroyed the RB.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I'd be more worried if Cowney DIDN'T make the plays preseason or not.

If he didn't make the plays I am sure there would be a 30+ page thread on how he is a bust and takes plays off

Ok I haven't really paid attention at all to Brooks Reed

Has he been getting any snaps at ILB?

Quite honestly the first preseason game I shut that crap off at halftime and flipped over to see the Kerrville boy on and off.
2nd preseason game. I was out and about and didn't see them until middle of the 3rd

Well, you're dead on about that.

So often with a player like a Mario Williams, he'd be in that same situation and he would hesitate. Most players take time reading the play, trying to figure out who has the ball, what they're supposed to do.

What Clowney does best is make the decision and go quickly. He saw the QB handing the ball off and he destroyed the RB.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Clowney's only decision is to go from point A to point B as quickly as possible. When he makes decisions other than that is when he gets in trouble. What started this conversation is I was asked about Clowney's highlights. Clowney has also had an equal amount of lowlights but no one asked me about those.

IIRC all game reps have been LOLB. We have a number of ILBs to assess and I'd imagine that's why. I expect we'll see him play out and in some when we start game-planning for teams, as it's called for.

:toropalm: The season cant get here soon enough. I hear some of the worst arguments in the world on here, and that means they are worse than some of my arguments ;). Now come on people that is bad.

3 more damn weeks and we will actually have some real bitching to do instead of finding dumb **** to ***** about.

Quite honestly the first preseason game I shut that crap off at halftime and flipped over to see the Kerrville boy on and off.
2nd preseason game. I was out and about and didn't see them until middle of the 3rd

I am still unsure what kind of a season the Texans are going to have. However, it appears you are in for an awful year as a fan. You had better get into a better rhythm! I had a season in '10 like yours has started. I went to 4 home games and we lost all 4... Our home record that year was 4-4, I think. I missed every home win.

Clowney's only decision is to go from point A to point B as quickly as possible. When he makes decisions other than that is when he gets in trouble. What started this conversation is I was asked about Clowney's highlights. Clowney has also had an equal amount of lowlights but no one asked me about those.

He played 1 quarter and had a sack and a highlight reel TFL. I'm sure we all want him to make the right decision and be productive on every play that comes his way, but for now I'll take what he's shown us.

He played 1 quarter and had a sack and a highlight reel TFL. I'm sure we all want him to make the right decision and be productive on every play that comes his way, but for now I'll take what he's shown us.

Early in that quarter he was easily beaten by the TE for a TD that was called back and later in that quarter, rushing the passer he did an about face to chase the TE who was in the end zone. Rookie mistakes, yes, but Clowney has never shown the ability to cover. The few times he tried in So Caro were disastrous and why he always had his hand in the dirt.

Such is the life of a rookie.

So far Clowney has met my expectations. But it's only preseason. The big thing for me is Clowney being healthy. If that happens the Texans will have made the right pick. Bortles has exceeded my expectations and I have high expectations for him. (Not as high as yours. LOL)

So far Clowney has met my expectations. But it's only preseason. The big thing for me is Clowney being healthy. If that happens the Texans will have made the right pick. Bortles has exceeded my expectations and I have high expectations for him. (Not as high as yours. LOL)

Bortles can beat Luck and the Colts, Clowney can't.

Bortles can beat Luck and the Colts, Clowney can't.

Pretty sure Bortles cant beat anyone, it is the team that wins. All he does is throw the ball it is the other guys job to block, run, catch and score. So if Bortles wins it will be far from his victory.

On that note i have yet to see Bortles beat anyone. I like what i see from Clowney and i'm sure Luck will get tired of him and Watt very quickly.

Joltin Joe Dimagio didn't have as high expectations of Marylin Monroe as Texian has of Bortles .:pop:

Pretty sure Bortles cant beat anyone, it is the team that wins. All he does is throw the ball it is the other guys job to block, run, catch and score. So if Bortles wins it will be far from his victory.

On that note i have yet to see Bortles beat anyone. I like what i see from Clowney and i'm sure Luck will get tired of him and Watt very quickly.

Understood! I think you will find much more often than not that the Headlines will read: Luck and Colts BEAT Clowney and Watt.

Well, maybe nobody asked you because they don't care about the opinion of an obviously biased poster.

We have people telling us how great Manziel is despite him looking like garbage on the field, and we have you telling us how bad Clowney is despite him making ridiculous highlight plays in only a few in game snaps. He only played 9 snaps against Atlanta and had 2 highlight plays. That was without JJ Watt playing.

If at this point you think Clowney was a bad pick, you're either a troll or blind.

Back