Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Tell Me Why Patrick Mahomes is not the Solution!

Would one of those teams take him with that top 13 pick or are they looking at him as a second rounder ?!

My guess would be that they are mainly looking at him in the 2nd rd. But, if another team, like the Texans, is looking for a QB and could possibly take Mahomes at #25, don't be surprised if one of those teams doesn't trade back in to the 1st ahead of the Texans to get him. I guess it depends on how badly they need a QB and how many picks they have and what they are willing to give. Cleveland has the picks to do it but do they really want 3 1st rd contracts to deal with? The Bears don't really have the picks to move up and have other holes to fill, plus they picked up Glennon as a stop gap. They are probably thinking if Mahomes is there in the 2nd rd go for it! If not, they'll ride with Glennon and maybe another QB later in the Draft. The Chargers are in the same boat with the Bears. If he's there in the 2nd fine, if not they still have Rivers. The Cardinals could be the team that gets a QB in the 1st. Whether it's Mahomes or not no one except them knows. They are picking 13th so the question is, do they value Mahomes that high? Heck, the Texans may be looking at Mahomes in the 2nd themselves!

I'd rather have Rivers than Romo as well.

His dead money would be $29 mil. Not happening.

Rivers today said he didn't mind mentoring a rookie but he should plan on riding the bench for a few years.

I think the Chargers looking at QBs is like practice interviews for drafting one later.

That's exactly why I asked. If you have a 1st rd grade on the OT and a 3rd rd grade on the QB, is that large enough?

Yes. Take him in the 2nd.

Seriously, when Schaub was here folks were 'he can't get us to the SB.' Meanwhile Gruden and the commentators were 'can you stop this offense?' And the camera crews were 'who has the ball?' We're begging for a Schaub level QB now. Oh the irony.

My guess would be that they are mainly looking at him in the 2nd rd. But, if another team, like the Texans, is looking for a QB and could possibly take Mahomes at #25, don't be surprised if one of those teams doesn't trade back in to the 1st ahead of the Texans to get him. I guess it depends on how badly they need a QB and how many picks they have and what they are willing to give. Cleveland has the picks to do it but do they really want 3 1st rd contracts to deal with? The Bears don't really have the picks to move up and have other holes to fill, plus they picked up Glennon as a stop gap. They are probably thinking if Mahomes is there in the 2nd rd go for it! If not, they'll ride with Glennon and maybe another QB later in the Draft. The Chargers are in the same boat with the Bears. If he's there in the 2nd fine, if not they still have Rivers. The Cardinals could be the team that gets a QB in the 1st. Whether it's Mahomes or not no one except them knows. They are picking 13th so the question is, do they value Mahomes that high? Heck, the Texans may be looking at Mahomes in the 2nd themselves!
teams dont have dinner with 2nd rounders. theyre looking at 1st rd

Yes. Take him in the 2nd.

Seriously, when Schaub was here folks were 'he can't get us to the SB.' Meanwhile Gruden and the commentators were 'can you stop this offense?' And the camera crews were 'who has the ball?' We're begging for a Schaub level QB now. Oh the irony.

For real

teams dont have dinner with 2nd rounders. theyre looking at 1st rd

This is probably true but how much of it is being driven by the Texans coming to the realization that he probably won't be there for them in the 2nd! They may still have a 2nd rd grade on him but are they willing to wait knowing he will probably be gone, or do they think we have to take him at #25 and possibly even higher to make sure we get him? It all depends on how much they value him. Having dinner with him could indicate they value him higher than other QB prospects. I guess we'll find out on April 27th!

If it was reported I missed it too. I was just responding to what thetexanator said in his post.

yeah but it's the texanator. He's been very norgish lately.

Having dinner with a prospect is not unusual for any one projected to go in the first 3 rounds. They only get so many meetings with players so it's not unusual to spend time with them to try to get to know them a little and dinner is often part of that if things go well or even if that's the only time available

None of them made it a single season without getting benched.
some of them didn't even make it a single game :D

EDIT:

now I am curious, was that the quickest a starting QB has been benched in his first start for an NFL team?
(I can't find this info online)

Last edited:
Just for grins, I checked a half dozen or so mock drafts on the web, and two had us taking Mahomes, one in the 1st round, and another had us taking him in the 2nd, which I don't think he'll be available at our pick in the 2nd.

Just for grins, I checked a half dozen or so mock drafts on the web, and two had us taking Mahomes, one in the 1st round, and another had us taking him in the 2nd, which I don't think he'll be available at our pick in the 2nd.

I agree , even if only 2 are taken in the 1st - Trubisky & Watson , Mahomes doesn't get to 57. If Mahomes is your guy (or 3rd guy because the other two are out of reach) you get him at 1:25 because half this league is looking for quarterbacks ....

Now if you don't like him that much , or don't think there is much separation between him and Peterson or Webb , you just grab one of those two in round three ....

Either way , getting a quarterback out of this draft is imperative , even if they do land Romo as all they have behind him is a dude in the last year of his contract that gets hurt holding a clip board .... and a dude who will be gone after the season , if he makes it thru camp .... They need to at least come out of this draft with a quality backup.

Last edited:
Hoyer was benched during his first start with the texans. I would like to know if there are any other examples, and which starting qb was benched faster (for any team, not just the texans)

Just simple logic alone says that it's highly unlikely that anyone could have been benched faster. I mean statistically speaking it's a virtual impossibility.
Didn't he play less than a half of football?

Just simple logic alone says that it's highly unlikely that anyone could have been benched faster. I mean statistically speaking it's a virtual impossibility.
Didn't he play less than a half of football?
had to look it up
SI said:
Mallett took over for Hoyer with just over six minutes left in the game and the Texans trailing 27–9.
source

I'm sure there were QBs with shorter first starts, but all those I can think of left the game injured, not benched

I agree , even if only 2 are taken in the 1st - Trubisky & Watson , Mahomes doesn't get to 57. If Mahomes is your guy (or 3rd guy because the other two are out of reach) you get him at 1:25 because half this league is looking for quarterbacks ....

Now if you don't like him that much , or don't think there is much separation between him and Peterson or Webb , you just grab one of those two in round three ....

Either way , getting a quarterback out of this draft is imperative , even if they do land Romo as all they have behind him is a dude in the last year of his contract that gets hurt holding a clip board .... and a dude who will be gone after the season , if he makes it thru camp .... They need to at least come out of this draft with a quality backup.
I wouldn't go that route in the first. There's just too much talent there.
Duh!!!

Yea he's not making it to us:

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes leads all draft prospects with 18 total official visits and private workouts, according to a source.

10:15 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Bengals quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor seen today at Lubbock airport, sources confirm he worked out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes

10:16 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Arizona Cardinals have worked out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes privately, sources say he excelled for large contingent of staffers

10:40 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Yea he's not making it to us:

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes leads all draft prospects with 18 total official visits and private workouts, according to a source.

10:15 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Bengals quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor seen today at Lubbock airport, sources confirm he worked out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes

10:16 PM - 29 Mar 2017

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

Arizona Cardinals have worked out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes privately, sources say he excelled for large contingent of staffers

10:40 PM - 29 Mar 2017
Wild guess -- but the work outs may be to see firsthand if they think he can change his footwork. There's obviously interest there, but just because he has the most visits doesn't necessarily mean he's the first/second/third qb off the board.

Wild guess -- but the work outs may be to see firsthand if they think he can change his footwork. There's obviously interest there, but just because he has the most visits doesn't necessarily mean he's the first/second/third qb off the board.

When even the Bengals are looking at him... they have Datlon & McCarron (MCCARRON!!!!) & they're looking at this kid... I think there's enough interest that he may very well be the 1st QB taken.

When even the Bengals are looking at him... they have Datlon & McCarron (MCCARRON!!!!) & they're looking at this kid... I think there's enough interest that he may very well be the 1st QB taken.
I'll be a little surprised if he goes first but not shocked. I said elsewhere that I think he's going to look like Case Keenum early and I don't know which team is willing to be patient with his development. I've never admitted it here but I wish we would have stuck with Keenum and developed him. I still think he has good potential.:hides:

I'll be a little surprised if he goes first but not shocked. I said elsewhere that I think he's going to look like Case Keenum early and I don't know which team is willing to be patient with his development. I've never admitted it here but I wish we would have stuck with Keenum and developed him. I still think he has good potential.:hides:

I think Keenum had more competitive fire in him. I thought the team responded well around him. I think we could have won a lot more games if our HC would have kept his foot on the gas.

& he absolutely could have kept us at the top of this division while we look for our franchise QB.

But... even with the clowns we've had under center we haven't been "looking" for that franchise QB, so I think Keenum keeping us at 8-8, 9-7... we'd be worse off than we are today. Hopefully these guys will get us a QB soon.... but I really don't think they get it yet.

so I think Keenum keeping us at 8-8, 9-7... we'd be worse off than we are today.
We'd be worse off because we wouldn't be searching for a qb? Seems like if he had that record, we'd be no worse off. Not sure if I follow this part.

I think Keenum had more competitive fire in him. I thought the team responded well around him. I think we could have won a lot more games if our HC would have kept his foot on the gas.

& he absolutely could have kept us at the top of this division while we look for our franchise QB.

But... even with the clowns we've had under center we haven't been "looking" for that franchise QB, so I think Keenum keeping us at 8-8, 9-7... we'd be worse off than we are today. Hopefully these guys will get us a QB soon.... but I really don't think they get it yet.

I think it would have been interesting to watch how CK's first season as starter would have gone if he had gotten wins in his first 3 games. Could've changed the confidence levels tremendously. Kubiak backed off the pedal in the 2nd half and made no adjustments.

We'd be worse off because we wouldn't be searching for a qb? Seems like if he had that record, we'd be no worse off. Not sure if I follow this part.

We got rid of Fitz after 8-8. We got rid of Hoyer after 9-7. We got rid of Osweiler after 9-7. Those guys played pretty poorly. & we still haven't found a 1st round franchise QB prospect, but we're getting closer. If Keenum played well enough to stay with this team after multiple 8-8, 9-7 seasons, I don't know that Texans would be publicly talking about improving the position. We'd be that much further from the Texans having to bite the bullet & get a blue chip prospect at the QB position.

We got rid of Fitz after 8-8. We got rid of Hoyer after 9-7. We got rid of Osweiler after 9-7. Those guys played pretty poorly. & we still haven't found a 1st round franchise QB prospect, but we're getting closer. If Keenum played well enough to stay with this team after multiple 8-8, 9-7 seasons, I don't know that Texans would be publicly talking about improving the position. We'd be that much further from the Texans having to bite the bullet & get a blue chip prospect at the QB position.
I would (be talking about getting another QB).

Even though I like Keenum, I had finally seen enough to know I want to see better at the position.

With Keenum on board; however, the Texans would have more money to improve the other positions on the team.

Just as I like Clowney a lot coming out of college, but his injury didn't check out. One has to think that trading away that 1.1 for future pick is highly possible.

I wanted a legitimate shot at getting Mariota.

But it still pisses me off that they didn't draft Wilson. The guy played well both in the WCO and the pro system in college.

Instead of extending Schaub prematurely , they could have used that money for some other players, too.

I would (be talking about getting another QB).

Even though I like Keenum, I had finally seen enough to know I want to see better at the position.

With Keenum on board; however, the Texans would have more money to improve the other positions on the team.

Just as I like Clowney a lot coming out of college, but his injury didn't check out. One has to think that trading away that 1.1 for future pick is highly possible.

I wanted a legitimate shot at getting Mariota.

But it still pisses me off that they didn't draft Wilson. The guy played well both in the WCO and the pro system in college.

Instead of extending Schaub prematurely , they could have used that money for some other players, too.
Throwing this out there for conversation concerning Keenum and any other talented, struggling, young qb: I saw some things in Rich Gannon when the Vikings let him go. But he floundered and they gave up on him. He had a pedestrian journeyman's career for the first 11 years until he got to Oakland. They turned him into the league MVP and he brought them to the SB (he crashed and burned in the game with 5 ints and 3 pick sixes - but forget about that part :)). I know this isn't an everyday story, but it does happen.

So? Some shmoe wins the lottery too. Doesn't make it a good investment.
Keenum and struggling young qb's was the topic -- Gannon was the acknowledged extreme example to say that it isn't necessarily over for a player like Keenum. Keenum only has 26 games under his belt and a little more than a season's worth of attempts for some guys (777) -- Gannon had 1758 before getting to Oakland. Keenum's passer rating is similar or better than the following players in their first 777 attempts: Drew Brees, Sam Bradford, Eli Manning, Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Alex Smith, Peyton Manning. The real question, is which is more of a lottery ticket -- a 1st round prospect or a talented 'struggling' young qb? Looking back on 1st round picks -- I'm not sure the answer is so clear.

While I'm at it -- can we dismiss the idea of drafting a qb every year (or 2 a year as I've seen suggested) until we find 'the one'? It's not possible to give all those guys enough live bullet play time to know what you have in that player -- we're still trying to figure out what we have in Savage. 1 starter, 1 highly drafted prospect in training and 1 experienced backup at a time.

Last edited:
Maybe the philosophy is to draft best QB #25 and if he is not the guy go after best QB next draft and use 2017 QB as backup.

Maybe the philosophy is to draft best QB #25 and if he is not the guy go after best QB next draft and use 2017 QB as backup.
You can do it once and it might work. In perpetuity, as being suggested around here, and it's not possible to develop these guys or even know what they're capable of.

You can do it once and it might work. In perpetuity, as being suggested around here, and it's not possible to develop these guys or even know what they're capable of.
Not sure I agree as a QB in first round can offer five years to evaluate. You sign a first rounder each year and then dump the guy in 5th year if not what you want. Of course there are guys you don't keep that long. If you cannot get at minimum a solid QB in five seasons, pretty much on coaching IMO.

Not sure I agree as a QB in first round can offer five years to evaluate. You sign a first rounder each year and then dump the guy in 5th year if not what you want. Of course there are guys you don't keep that long. If you cannot get at minimum a solid QB in five seasons, pretty much on coaching IMO.
The math with this strategy doesn't add up -- the longest you can have a guy is 2 years before he's cut to make room for the newly drafted qb unless you're carrying 4 or more qb's. What's the point of continuing to draft qb's if you don't give them time to be evaluated?

The math with this strategy doesn't add up -- the longest you can have a guy is 2 years before he's cut to make room for the newly drafted qb unless you're carrying 4 or more qb's. What's the point of having a bunch of highly drafted qb's if you don't give them time to be evaluated?
Well it's a good thing we've never had 3-4 QBs on roster. If our QB coach and O co cannot find enough time to evaluate 4 QBs I have definitely identified the problem. At year three one could be identified to go on injured.

While I'm at it -- can we dismiss the idea of drafting a qb every year (or 2 a year as I've seen suggested) until we find 'the one'? It's not possible to give all those guys enough live bullet play time to know what you have in that player -- we're still trying to figure out what we have in Savage. 1 starter, 1 highly drafted prospect in training and 1 experienced backup at a time.

Problem with that is, you don't find "the one" unless you draft one. While I agree that drafting a QB every year is silly, it's not like that's what the Texans have been doing. Since Schaub turned into putty FIVE years ago, Savage is the only QB they've drafted. That's it. They've been in desperation mode for a QB since 2013, and only ONE 4th round QB has been drafted. And he's played what, 2 full games? And they passed on Bridgewater, Carr and Garoppolo to get him. Not going to find "the one" like that.

Reactions: Max
Since Schaub turned into putty FIVE years ago, Savage is the only QB they've drafted. That's it. They've been in desperation mode for a QB since 2013, and only ONE 4th round QB has been drafted.

A big part of the problem is thinking we're "built to win." If that's your mentality, you're not going to spend a high draft pick on a QB. You're going to spend it on a position that can contribute right away.

I'm sure O'b was thinking, "just add Hoyer."

I know several teams will pick a QB that are already winning. New England, Green Bay, etc... but they are winning & looking ahead trying to keep the winning going. A little different from a team on the cusp.

Reactions: Max
Back