Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tell Me Why Patrick Mahomes is not the Solution!

Zero chance the Texans draft both those guys even without Romo.

If they do get Romo, don't be surprised when they don't take a QB until round 4 or later. If they get Romo, they're going to go all in on trying to win it with him, and picking a QB high when they've left these other needs unaddressed isn't going to help that cause.

Of course, but this is pure fantasical speculation in this thread/forum. Texans ain't gonna take any of our advice, so why not have fun with it periodically?

Of course, but this is pure fantasical speculation in this thread/forum. Texans ain't gonna take any of our advice, so why not have fun with it periodically?

Oh, I'm not advocating not talking about what we would do, just inserting that the chances the Texans actually do that are low. Not because it's the wrong way to go about things, but because of the Texans' history. History shows that they don't like drafting QBs, even when there is a strong need for one. They like to chase castoffs. Which is kind of odd, because you would think that coaches would want to draft their own guy, that has the attributes that fit the coach's scheme and personality. Maybe OB has wanted to do that multiple times to better his chances of finding that player, but was only able to convince the rest of the decision making group that Savage in round 4 was acceptable. I can't imagine that OB wants these castoffs more than guys that he would be able to hand pick in a draft.

If they do get Romo, don't be surprised when they don't take a QB until round 4 or later. If they get Romo, they're going to go all in on trying to win it with him, and picking a QB high when they've left these other needs unaddressed isn't going to help that cause.

I don't disagree with you at all .... I was just saying I wouldn't mind taking both assuming we didn't land Romo (I'd take Peterman in r3 even if we do get Romo).

I like them both .... for different reasons and its long past high time we addressed the position.

I don't know what the hell their plan is .... after jettisoning Os , they have to improve the position or it was just a waste of a 2nd round pick and they have yet to do anything ....

I think we all assume Romo is the target of their affection ....but if that doesn't happen , all bets are off. This team isn't going to win a superbowl with Savage , Weeden or a rookie. May as well plan for the future at that point because there are really no better options available in the free agent pool , unless you think Chase Daniel or Cutler can take you to the promised land.

I'm not a big Romo fan, especially with his health concerns, but this is the reason I hope they do get Romo. I would like them to address the O-line and other areas of need in the first few rounds and then get Jarrad Evans in the 3rd or 4th rd to groom. I think he is being severely overlooked probably due to his coming out with only 1 yr experience at VT. I still think he has all the tools to be a good QB and bears a lot of resemblance to Dak in size and college stats. But, I realize this is probably just another dream that has very little chance of coming true! :(

With quarterback Brock Osweiler now out of the picture, it certainly looks like the Houston Texans will likely take a quarterback in the first round of this year’s NFL draft.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle conducted a Q&A on Facebook Live on Thursday and stated that he believes the Texans will use the 23rd overall pick on Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

“Well they’re going to draft a quarterback. I think they’ll draft a quarterback in the first round…I just turned in my second mock draft and I have the Texans at 25 taking Mahomes. His stock is going up. He’s got the best arm in the draft.”

“I think they will draft a quarterback even if they sign Tony Romo.”

McClain brought up the fact that Mahomes comes from a family of pitchers that played Major League Baseball. Which is probably why he throws a football so well. He was very impressive at this year’s scouting combine.

http://torotimes.com/2017/03/16/joh...will-take-patrick-mahomes-in-the-first-round/

Peterman would be my backup plan should Mahomes be gone by the time our pick comes around .... They are kinda polar opposites in terms of prospects , one is a very safe bet with a high floor , the other has potential thru the roof but a much lower floor.

Watching them , they both remind me of pretty good quarterbacks .... Mahomes of Favre , Peterman of Schaub.

Agreed on the floor and ceiling. I can't really tell who Mahomes compares closest to in my mind. Peterman seems more like a Jeff Garcia or early career Rich Gannon or Cousins.

One of the things I didn't like about Schaub is that he seemed to generate most of his throwing power from his lower body like a pitcher. So it is not that surprising that he struggled after dealing with lower body injuries.

Curious for those who, like me, like both Mahomes and Peterman ... would you rather ...

A) draft Mahomes in the first and take what's left at OL in the second (Dawkins, Garcia, Moton, etc.), or

B) draft the best OL you can in the first (Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, etc.) and be content with Peterman in the second?

I lean toward A, as I can't help but get siren-songed into Mahomes' arm talent and what I perceive to be a real guile for the position.

But, I honestly think Peterman could have a knack and competitiveness to make a lot of plays in this league and drive an offense, where having a quality OL in front of him becomes symbiotic.

Ugh, admittedly can't decide for any length of time. Anyone else thought this through at all?

Curious for those who, like me, like both Mahomes and Peterman ... would you rather ...

A) draft Mahomes in the first and take what's left at OL in the second (Dawkins, Garcia, Moton, etc.), or

B) draft the best OL you can in the first (Ramczyk, Bolles, Lamp, etc.) and be content with Peterman in the second?

I lean toward A, as I can't help but get siren-songed into Mahomes' arm talent and what I perceive to be a real guile for the position.

But, I honestly think Peterman could have a knack and competitiveness to make a lot of plays in this league and drive an offense, where having a quality OL in front of him becomes symbiotic.

Ugh, admittedly can't decide for any length of time. Anyone else thought this through at all?

To me Peterson is the consolation prize if Mahomes is gone . Mahomes and Dawkins or Moton is not bad at all IMO .

What if Trubisky and Mahomes are there ?

I'm leaning A as well but so much would depend on just who was available at 25 or close. If you don't think either is ready to start day 1 (like I do) then it may make more sense to draft a instant starter at 25 and then take Peterman in rnd 2 or even someone like Webb in rnd 3 or 4. Such are the difficult decisions among coachings staffs and GM's

A

Looks like I'm with everyone else -- plan A. It was interesting to me listening to RSmith talk about what he looks for in a qb and he mentioned the time it takes for the player to release the ball after he sees his man. I think the majority of Mahomes' mechanics/footwork problems has to do with what RSmith was talking about -- Mahomes practically immediately releases the ball when he sees that man and his body/feet aren't always in the position they should be when it happens. But he's got the arm strength and accuracy to deliver the ball where it should be and with touch despite his body position. For me personally, I stop my search there -- it's an ability that not a lot of qb's have. I like Peterman's fire and think he would be a solid pick but I think it's smartest to find your qb and let the rest follow -- so pick Mahomes and hope for the best at OL.

I like plan A.

What about a Plan C - Draft Mahomes, then trade our second round pick (2-25) and the 4th from Cleveland to move up to get the best OL player, or the best player we want that will not be available at 2-25?

This is what I would like to see.

I'm not a big Romo fan, especially with his health concerns, but this is the reason I hope they do get Romo. I would like them to address the O-line and other areas of need in the first few rounds and then get Jarrad Evans in the 3rd or 4th rd to groom. I think he is being severely overlooked probably due to his coming out with only 1 yr experience at VT. I still think he has all the tools to be a good QB and bears a lot of resemblance to Dak in size and college stats. But, I realize this is probably just another dream that has very little chance of coming true! :(

I like Evans a lot too, supposedly the word is that he is extremely raw so he might be on the board after round 4.

I'm leaning A as well but so much would depend on just who was available at 25 or close. If you don't think either is ready to start day 1 (like I do) then it may make more sense to draft a instant starter at 25 and then take Peterman in rnd 2 or even someone like Webb in rnd 3 or 4. Such are the difficult decisions among coachings staffs and GM's

Well the OLmen I was getting at in this scenario could well be considered instant starters for us.

Reactions: JB

Fugg it , take Mahomes at 25 , Peterman at 57 and the best OL left at 89.

Seriously tho , I'm right there with you , just cant decide what to do .... I'm leaning towards Mahomes at 25 if he's there as he's got the best arm in this draft and the game seems to come so easy to him , never seems rattled. I'd take a chance at special over .... 2011 Matt Schaub , Alex Smith or Jeff Garcia (guys Peterman has been compared to).

I'm A... I like Mahomes seems like a football player who finds a way to make the play even if it isn't pretty.

May still hedge the bet and take another QB in round 4 or later depending on who fell. Or maybe try and nab Kelly as UDFA.

To me Peterson is the consolation prize if Mahomes is gone . Mahomes and Dawkins or Moton is not bad at all IMO .

What if Trubisky and Mahomes are there ?

I think this is only possible if all the QB's drop down the draft boards which could happen with this draft class. The teams near the top that need QB's, like Cleveland, SF, Chicago, and NY Jets, all seem to be working on other options or already have the other option in place because they don't want to waste a high draft pick on a developmental QB prospect when so many good defensive players, as well as WR's and RB's, will be there for the picking! Hard to blame them. The run could start with Cleveland at #12 and Arizona at #13. If it goes past that then Houston could have Trubisky and Mahomes right there for the picking! My guess is, if this did happen, that BOB would go with Trubisky. Don't think BOB is looking for the raw "gunslinger" type. As I've said before, he's looking for the next Brady and Trubisky may be a closer match than Mahomes. Me personally, I think I would take a chance on Mahomes. The kid is raw but I think he has a heck of an arm and a lot of upside! Too much to pass up on IMO.

I think this is only possible if all the QB's drop down the draft boards which could happen with this draft class. The teams near the top that need QB's, like Cleveland, SF, Chicago, and NY Jets, all seem to be working on other options or already have the other option in place because they don't want to waste a high draft pick on a developmental QB prospect when so many good defensive players, as well as WR's and RB's, will be there for the picking! Hard to blame them. The run could start with Cleveland at #12 and Arizona at #13. If it goes past that then Houston could have Trubisky and Mahomes right there for the picking! My guess is, if this did happen, that BOB would go with Trubisky. Don't think BOB is looking for the raw "gunslinger" type. As I've said before, he's looking for the next Brady and Trubisky may be a closer match than Mahomes. Me personally, I think I would take a chance on Mahomes. The kid is raw but I think he has a heck of an arm and a lot of upside! Too much to pass up on IMO.

That would be a decent problem to have and I think somebody might want to make it easier on you by taking that pick . What if Cleveland didn't pick a QB at 12 and came a calling for that pick ? They offered their 33rd and a 3rd .

I'm still kind of suspect OB's idea of a QB is a guy with size. Not that I agree with it, but that kind of leaves it to Kizer or Webb,

If this offseason is any indication BOB wont be around for the 2018 season.

This is such a deep draft I would prefer to go most talented player in the first, Peterman in the second and best OL in the third.
Something like
1) Ross WR
2) Peterman QB
3) rod Johnson OT
4) James Connor RB

That would be a decent problem to have and I think somebody might want to make it easier on you by taking that pick . What if Cleveland didn't pick a QB at 12 and came a calling for that pick ? They offered their 33rd and a 3rd .

Nope , not gonna take 33 and a 3rd. Wouldn't take 33 and next years 2nd. We saw that sh!t blow up in our faces a couple years ago .... not making the same mistake twice.

Not gonna mess around and be waiting to pick the my 3rd choice at the position at 57 and then some team snatches him too .... Getting my guy at 25 unless Mahomes is gone. If that's the case we move on to plan B which is Peterman.

I'd have to go with B. Give <insert QB of choice here> the best protection you can and he has a better chance of success.

I would like to know which guy, if any of them, have experience in an offense that is somewhat pro-like. By that I mean, something other than see if guy X is open, if not, run.

I like plan A.

What about a Plan C - Draft Mahomes, then trade our second round pick (2-25) and the 4th from Cleveland to move up to get the best OL player, or the best player we want that will not be available at 2-25?

That trade would move us up roughly four spots from our 2.57 pick, according to the trade value chart.

And yes, this is ballpark, but it tells you that unless you get the right sucker on the phone at the right time then that 4th round pick isn't quite the capital you'd like it to be.

Not that it'll come to this, but Trubisky.

He has a notch less arm than Mahomes, meanwhile I've seen him make a number of similar throws (odd angles, with pressure, tight windows) and don't have the concerns about his mechanics translating to the league.

I don't know , wanting to be called Mitchell may cause him to drop .

Reactions: JB
Texans will probably take Kizer over Mahomes at 25

Said it before but bears repeating ....

Going into the season I had Kizer as my #1 QB .... but he kinda fell off from the year before. Part of that may have been a lack of talent around him as he lost several guys to the draft. He does have all the tools .... above average arm , great size and his mechanics are solid enough.

Right now , I prefer Mahomes over any of the others .... even with his bad mechanics. He just makes playing football look fun and easy .... big arm , rapid release , great accuracy , uses proper velocity , good vision and a good feel for when to get outa the pocket. Dude is a natural quarterback where the rest of these guys are athletes playing quarterback.

If Mahomes is gone , it wouldn't break my heart to end up with Kizer .... but if they take Kizer over Mahomes , I wont be happy.

Not that it'll come to this, but Trubisky.

He has a notch less arm than Mahomes, meanwhile I've seen him make a number of similar throws (odd angles, with pressure, tight windows) and don't have the concerns about his mechanics translating to the league.
Not to mention foot work, pocket presence and ability to go through progressions.

There's getting to be so much buzz about Mahomes I'm thinking now it's unlikely it gets out of the first half of the first round.

'Buzz' here around draft time is such a nebulous term. Whose buzz is it? Is it legit or misdirection? Is it just a spiked interest in the ebb and flow of talents de jour?

This kid is draft convo gold. He could get one gm's hair to stand up on his neck and go top 10 or he could scare everyone off with his unorthodox style in lieu of defensive studs in this draft and go mid- to late-second.

I hope our people are getting tingly.

'Buzz' here around draft time is such a nebulous term. Whose buzz is it? Is it legit or misdirection? Is it just a spiked interest in the ebb and flow of talents de jour?

This kid is draft convo gold. He could get one gm's hair to stand up on his neck and go top 10 or he could scare everyone off with his unorthodox style in lieu of defensive studs in this draft and go mid- to late-second.

I hope our people are getting tingly.

I'm betting "our people" think they can get him in the second round and someone a few spots ahead of us ends up with him :D

Plan A is good, but I don't expect it. We all know the Texans history at drafting QB, they don't do it. Only two of them as high as the Third Round. I think they will go with Savage/Weeden this year and go all in next year.

Back