Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tell Me Why Patrick Mahomes is not the Solution!

I don't even think they would draft Kizer. I'm thinking they would take Dobbs.
At 1.25, both would be reaches. I prefer Dobbs to Kizer, though. Kizer proved to be at his worst in high pressure and big game situations. That's not a good intangible to have.

To the original op...because Mahomes would yield a better return in a trade out of 25 than what he would possibly deliver on the field of play in 2017 or 2018...maybe even 2019.

Most folks are going crazy over drafting one of these severely over-hyped QB's in RD1 when most should be RD2, 3 or 4 developmental guys. RD1 QB's are generally expected to arrive and compete from Day 1. The QB Class of 2017 isn't the group to do this with...much less burn a high draft pick on while letting other talent slip through to other teams.

Every media outlet has openly stated that this is a down year -draft wise- for QB's and OL....yet, they're out there just plugging away at pulling the levers on the hype machine for this QB group and the OL Class is being ignored and stamped a weak group. To be quite honest, it would be easier to coach up a "weak" OL than a "weak" QB.

To the original op...because Mahomes would yield a better return in a trade out of 25 than what he would possibly deliver on the field of play in 2017 or 2018...maybe even 2019.

Most folks are going crazy over drafting one of these severely over-hyped QB's in RD1 when most should be RD2, 3 or 4 developmental guys. RD1 QB's are generally expected to arrive and compete from Day 1. The QB Class of 2017 isn't the group to do this with...much less burn a high draft pick on while letting other talent slip through to other teams.

Every media outlet has openly stated that this is a down year -draft wise- for QB's and OL....yet, they're out there just plugging away at pulling the levers on the hype machine for this QB group and the OL Class is being ignored and stamped a weak group. To be quite honest, it would be easier to coach up a "weak" OL than a "weak" QB.

2014 (when we picked 1:1) was reported as "a down year -draft wise- for QB's"

QBs drafted that year include:

Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Tom Savage
AJ McCarron

everybody ever said:
Next year the QB class will be much better

Draft letter from Mahomes:

I’m not perfect. But football isn’t always perfect. It doesn’t always go the way you expect. I know that I might not have given the perfect answer for every one of your questions. You saw some mistakes on my tape, and I missed a couple of throws on pro day.

But I hope you noticed that every answer I gave was sincere. And that when I made a mistake on the field, I always held myself accountable. I hope you realized that I can do a lot more than just throw the ball far. I don’t want you to think that a big arm is the only thing that got me here. I’m a football player. And I’m ready to do the job as your quarterback.

The only thing on my mind is helping you win games, whatever it takes. I’ve been thinking about playing in this league since I was a little kid. And now here we are on the eve of the NFL draft.

I’m ready to show the world what I’m capable of.

I grew up watching my dad compete against the best in the world during his career as a major league pitcher. I saw him do that for 11 years. I witnessed firsthand the amount of work it is going to take every day if I want to achieve lasting success in the National Football League.

I saw the focus in my dad’s eyes before every game, and the amount of time he put into his craft, constantly training and trying to figure out opponents. He would grind every day trying to improve at even the smallest things. And if he saw commentators talking about his stats negatively on television, he didn’t let it affect his game. He only used it for one thing: motivation.

Right now, I’m motivated in a similar way. I’ve heard all the pundits raising doubts as to what I can do.

"He plays in the Air Raid offense. Can he take snaps under center? What about audibles?"

"Does he really have the discipline to make it as a quarterback in the NFL?"

Everything that critics want to knock me on, I know I can fix with hard work. I am not a project quarterback. People who say that aren’t really watching my tape. I know that I can make any throw, especially when my team needs a big play.

In three years at Texas Tech, I learned a lot about leading an offense. So much of that has to do with earning respect in the locker room. Leaders set an example for others. I don’t expect to walk in and know everything on the first day of training camp, but I am ready to get started on that process. Right away you’ll see the type of player I am and, more important, the type of player I want to be in the huddle.

I hope the main thing you noticed when you were looking at my college stats was that I improved in every major category each season. That’s what I’m most proud of. I won’t try to predict the future, but I guarantee you that if there’s one thing I do know, it’s how to get better.

And I know that if I want to walk in and make an immediate impact, my mindset has to be that I have to continue to improve every day, every practice, every snap. I’m determined to do that.

I will not whine or complain during the process. I won’t be a distraction, on or off the field.

I will put in the hours to master your playbook. I won’t stop until I get everything right, down to the smallest detail.

I may make mistakes along the way. And I won’t win every single game I play during my career. I won’t retire with a perfect passer rating or zero career interceptions. But I’ll try as hard as anybody.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-mahomes-ii-texas-tech-nfl-draft-cover-letter/

Confirmed. Has a gambling problem.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me..

132569653_houston-gamblers-1984-1985-usfl-football-helmet-decals-.jpg

2014 (when we picked 1:1) was reported as "a down year -draft wise- for QB's"

QBs drafted that year include:

Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Tom Savage
AJ McCarron

Honestly not sure that helps your argument. None of those guys, except maybe Carr who we would have never taken, have shown that they are franchise level. The potential is there but it hasn't been shown yet.

Even Jimmy G has looked not much better in the limited sample size in NE as Osweiler did in Denver. Not saying he'll go the way of Osweiler but he's far from the sure thing some talk about him as.

Even still we drafted one of those six in Savage and he may prove to be just as good or even better than the rest on that list, assuming he can stay healthy.

All in all though yes I would still have called that a down year for QBs even in hindsight.

Honestly not sure that helps your argument. None of those guys, except maybe Carr who we would have never taken, have shown that they are franchise level. The potential is there but it hasn't been shown yet.

Even Jimmy G has looked not much better in the limited sample size in NE as Osweiler did in Denver. Not saying he'll go the way of Osweiler but he's far from the sure thing some talk about him as.

Even still we drafted one of those six in Savage and he may prove to be just as good or even better than the rest on that list, assuming he can stay healthy.

All in all though yes I would still have called that a down year for QBs even in hindsight.
So, in the last 10 years, which would you consider "a good year for QBs"?

Edit:
Just for completion sake, these are the QBs drafter in the far superior 2015 year:

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley
Trevor Siemian

You can feel the talent flowing through this post while you read it :)

Last edited:

Night and day difference between Jimmy G and Os. Jimmy G has a quick, smooth release and is much more accurate than Os.

Night and day difference between Jimmy G and Os. Jimmy G has a quick, smooth release and is much more accurate than Os.

Yeah there is a difference, Jimmy G had an entire offseason to practice like the starter because the HoF starter was to be suspended.

Yeah there is a difference, Jimmy G had an entire offseason to practice like the starter because the HoF starter was to be suspended.
Os had that same opportunity. There wasn't a QB battle last offseason. The bigger difference is that it was Jimmy G's 3rd offseason in that system and Os only had 1.

Been meaning to post on this thread for a while but never have time to say what I really wanted to. I'll keep it short and sweet, I love Mahomes and not in a fanboy way. I think he's going to be a really good NFL QB and I really hope we get him.

Been meaning to post on this thread for a while but never have time to say what I really wanted to. I'll keep it short and sweet, I love Mahomes and not in a fanboy way. I think he's going to be a really good NFL QB and I really hope we get him.
Why?

dang it. thats the problem with being the one who starts the bandwagon for someone. it always comes back to bite your own team. i should think twice next time on whether or not to put the spotlight on a sleeper pick.

Those that were and are high on Mahomes...I owe y'all an apology. HOLY JESUS CHRIST THIS GUY CAN LAUNCH A FOOTBALL! May need to sit for a year or two but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the next best thing at QB.

Those that were and are high on Mahomes...I owe y'all an apology. HOLY JESUS CHRIST THIS GUY CAN LAUNCH A FOOTBALL! May need to sit for a year or two but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the next best thing at QB.

I can imagine how this post would read if Rick Smith drafted Mahomes

I still see Kyle Boller in him and not Favre; complete with the on his knees throw. Time will tell tho...

Back