Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Takeaways from the @Titans game.

I often wonder if any of the armchair quarterbacks around here watch any other teams or absorb NFL history.

NFL Films has done a great job of capturing the NFL over the decades, especially when they mic up players and/or coaches.

And through all the years I've watched NFL Films, what is clear is that even the best players need to be reminded of the basics from time to time.

Considering how much information a modern NFL QB is processing in a very short amount of time, getting reminded about game situations is critical.

Clint Stoerner talked about this very thing yesterday. He said even Peyton Manning would have a guy in his ear reminding him about basic stuff. And yeah, maybe he was already aware in the moment, but that did not exclude him from being reminded by coaches.

Watson is young, and this is a learning experience. But acting like this is somehow indicative of a learning disability or whatever other nonsense gets perpetuated only serves to reveal a preconceived agenda looking for confirmation bias.

These guys aren't perfect, and they never will be. Expecting perfection is an exercise in futility, and perhaps even a bit obtuse.
Thank you. I’ve been trying to find those clips. I love NFL Films. I’m gonna search til I find one.
Hell I bet Walsh reminded Montana of things all the time.

And I thought I was the high guy on Josh Allen.

Not that high.

Out of my group of buddies, I'm the only one that's high on Josh Allen as well. I like his skillset, but his success is going to depend highly on his coaches. He still needs to learn the game so he better have some good teachers.

With that being said, in no way would I claim he's playing better than Watson nor would I take Allen over Watson.

Spot on. The QB can listen to the OC/HC talk for 20 seconds before every play in his helmet. Was OBrien reminding him of the situational awareness there? If going out of bounds was that big of a sin wouldnt there have been some explicit instructions before that play, and all the plays on that drive for that matter?

Nope, its just the illiterate idiot QB that we have, only him.
The titans took a time out before that play. They had plenty of time on the sidelines to go over the situation.

Out of my group of buddies, I'm the only one that's high on Josh Allen as well. I like his skillset, but his success is going to depend highly on his coaches. He still needs to learn the game so he better have some good teachers.

With that being said, in no way would I claim he's playing better than Watson nor would I take Allen over Watson.

I like Allen more than DW4

Better arm/same mobility/has had fewer bad games than DW4 this year and DW4 has better weapons around him.

Which ones do you think has less potential than DW4?

Remember that I've always been higher on Jimmy G than most.

Are we talking potential or who is playing better & capable of leading their team to a SB?

They all have high potential & are capable of leading their teams to a SB given the right circumstances b/c they're all 1st round picks or will be 1st round picks. The 1 guy who wasn't (Jimmy G) already has a ring & was at least a contributor to a SB run. But if we're really splitting hairs, the ones with the least potential are the ones with no skins on the wall of having done anything remarkable outside of a couple of games ...which would be Allen, Murray, Tua & Burrow. Hell, Josh Allen hasn't even thrown for 300 yds in a single game yet in his career thus far.

As far as who is playing better, Josh Allen's TEAM is winning, but it ain't b/c of him...everyone knows it. Same for Murray who is actually putting up decent numbers, but those numbers aren't translating to wins...Tua isn't playing at all, Burrow is balling..................in college. Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Wilson and Rodgers are the only guys in DW4's class right now. You could argue that DW4 is towards the back end of that list, but there are very few qb's playing better than him right now.

I like Allen more than DW4

Better arm/same mobility/has had fewer bad games than DW4 this year and DW4 has better weapons around him.

If this is more of your 'eye test' and know what you see, you might need to get those peepers checked LOL...

Allen has had 3 games with a completion % below 50 - Watson none.
Allen has had 5 games with a completion % below 60 - Watson 2 (low of 55)

Allen's QB rating low a whopping 24% against that, eh they ain't that good, Patriots defense.

Allen has 5 games with a QB rating below 75% - Watson 3 (with a low of 63% - still quite a bit higher than 24%)

Allen has 5 games with a QBR below 30 - Watson 2

Allen:
Yards - 2876 (20th)
TD - 18 (17th)
INT - 9 (15th)
QBR - 45.5 (25th)

Watson:
Yards - 3668 (7th)
TD - 26 (4th)
INT - 11 (19th)
QBR - 68.9 (7th)

Is there another Josh Allen tearing it up in the Canadian Football league that I'm unaware of? Or can we just admit that you may like Allen more than Watson (which is your choice and right), but it is categorically wrong to say Allen has been more consistent or had fewer bad games than Watson on a NFL football field this year.

If this is more of your 'eye test' and know what you see, you might need to get those peepers checked LOL...

Allen has had 3 games with a completion % below 50 - Watson none.
Allen has had 5 games with a completion % below 60 - Watson 2 (low of 55)

Allen's QB rating low a whopping 24% against that, eh they ain't that good, Patriots defense.

Allen has 5 games with a QB rating below 75% - Watson 3 (with a low of 63% - still quite a bit higher than 24%)

Allen has 5 games with a QBR below 30 - Watson 2

Allen:
Yards - 2876 (20th)
TD - 18 (17th)
INT - 9 (15th)
QBR - 45.5 (25th)

Watson:
Yards - 3668 (7th)
TD - 26 (4th)
INT - 11 (19th)
QBR - 68.9 (7th)

Is there another Josh Allen tearing it up in the Canadian Football league that I'm unaware of? Or can we just admit that you may like Allen more than Watson (which is your choice and right), but it is categorically wrong to say Allen has been more consistent or had fewer bad games than Watson on a NFL football field this year.

We will see who has the better career.

I'm betting on Allen

I'm sure if DW4 fails BOB will get the blame regardless if they bring in a new HC after they finally realize BOB/DW4 are a bad match.

Truth is the Texans are a dangerous team if WFV is healthy and DW4 stops turning the ball over and cleans up his game. Do I think these things can happen? Possibly

Odds are it's not going to though and I'm not just talking about this yr.

We will see who has the better career.

I'm betting on Allen

I'm sure if DW4 fails BOB will get the blame regardless if they bring in a new HC after they finally realize BOB/DW4 are a bad match.

Truth is the Texans are a dangerous team if WFV is healthy and DW4 stops turning the ball over and cleans up his game. Do I think these things can happen? Possibly

Odds are it's not going to though and I'm not just talking about this yr.

What does any of that post have to do with me disputing (with backing data) that Allen has had fewer bad games than Watson so far in 2019?

We weren't discussing who will have the better career, or what blame will be on Bob, or WVF's health. But you can't admit you were wrong, it's OK we know.

:uprights:

Are we talking potential or who is playing better & capable of leading their team to a SB?

They all have high potential & are capable of leading their teams to a SB given the right circumstances b/c they're all 1st round picks or will be 1st round picks. The 1 guy who wasn't (Jimmy G) already has a ring & was at least a contributor to a SB run. But if we're really splitting hairs, the ones with the least potential are the ones with no skins on the wall of having done anything remarkable outside of a couple of games ...which would be Allen, Murray, Tua & Burrow. Hell, Josh Allen hasn't even thrown for 300 yds in a single game yet in his career thus far.

As far as who is playing better, Josh Allen's TEAM is winning, but it ain't b/c of him...everyone knows it. Same for Murray who is actually putting up decent numbers, but those numbers aren't translating to wins...Tua isn't playing at all, Burrow is balling..................in college. Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Wilson and Rodgers are the only guys in DW4's class right now. You could argue that DW4 is towards the back end of that list, but there are very few qb's playing better than him right now.

We will see if the Bills play the Texans in the playoffs.

I think Murray has more potential as well as Allen.

What does any of that post have to do with me disputing (with backing data) that Allen has had fewer bad games than Watson so far in 2019?

We weren't discussing who will have the better career, or what blame will be on Bob, or WVF's health. But you can't admit you were wrong, it's OK we know.

:uprights:

We will see if I'm wrong.

I'm betting on Allen if the Texans play the Bills in the playoffs.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not moving the goalposts. I think Allen is better than DW4 right now and will have the better career despite playing in Buffalo.

We will see if I'm wrong.

I'm betting on Allen if the Texans play the Bills in the playoffs.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not moving the goalposts. I think Allen is better than DW4 right now and will have the better career despite playing in Buffalo.

Two can play this game...

We have already seen if you were wrong - fyi, you are - Allen has more bad games this year - that was the entirety of the post. It is indeed moving the goal post when you state a fact, someone disproves said fact and then you refuse to acknowledge what you were having a discussion about.

Not my opinion - I didn't offer an opinion on who I thought would have a better career (I hope both excel except when the Bills play us, then come on Josh I need that 24% QB rating bro).

I offered facts to dispute your opinion that Allen has had less bad games so far in 2019. You saw the actual statistics so "moved the goal post" to "yeah but what about their career?".

Definitely :uprights:

I know your next move - so my opinion is you will reply (you always reply) and you will say nothing about anything we have been talking about.

If they meet we will see.

Remember DW4 has better weapons.

I will still take Allen.

I will remember DW4 has better weapons, as long as you remember Allen has a much better defense.

If the Texans & Bills meet in the playoffs, it won't be Allen vs Watson directly. It will be Allen vs Texans defense, and Watson vs Bills defense. So if Allen has the better game statistically, it doesn't really prove anything.

So you put him as not being a franchise qb category because he lost to Denver but you then say that you won’t even consider him as a franchise qb even if he wins against the Bucs or the Titans? So basically he has to win or play great every game or win a super bowl. Im all confused.
[/QUO.
We were supposed to beat Denver handily. A loss to that type of team says a whole lot more than wins against TB and Tennessee. Surely you can see that? Also not making my decision based upon one game. He has made several errors all season long. Regardless of the cliche, in football the buck does not always stop at the feet of the quarterback. I am not focus on the win-loss record in evaluating our quarterback but more on how he plays. Yes I do expect a franchise QB to play great with an occasional error. Watson has not put three games together in my opinion that fit that criteria. He like his head coach is very good and then very bad. Everyone talks about this. And in my opinion both Watson and O'Brien are in it together and that's why I would like both of them to be gone. However I don't want O'Brien replace with just anybody. Also I don't want to let Watson go without getting what I consider fair trade value. Most Get caught up in player fandom and some in coach fandom. I enjoy each however my fandom is strictly to the Texans.

So for the record, you are another one who wants Watson gone from the Texans?
Did you read what I just posted? You had an extremely quick response. I think we can do better than O'Brien and DeShaun Watson. However I want them gone only if I like What we get for them. Watson is a very good QB but has not progressed as he should. I would trade any player on our roster if it would improve that roster. Three first-round picks as I have posted definitely improves this roster.

Did you read what I just posted? You had an extremely quick response. I think we can do better than O'Brien and DeShaun Watson. However I want them gone only if I like What we get for them. Watson is a very good QB but has not progressed as he should. I would trade any player on our roster if it would improve that roster. Three first-round picks as I have posted definitely improves this roster.
Its a yes or no question? It aint that difficult.

The titans took a time out before that play. They had plenty of time on the sidelines to go over the situation.

so either it was never discussed or Watson is a damn fool. Which could be closer to the truth?

I guess you do want him gone. Thats all I needed to know thanks.
Stingray this is why you're having problems you're trying to force me into saying what you want me to say. Your question is not yes or no. I want him to stay if there's not a better return for him. If your question was do I think he is a franchise quarterback that would be a yes or no question. No I do not think he is a franchise QB.

I guess you do want him gone. Thats all I needed to know thanks.

isn’t it crazy after going through the epic QB drought this franchise has had, that there are guys with Stockholm syndrome so severe they would prefer to get rid of Watson and go back to those day. Get rid of OBrien AND Watson they say after 3 years of “no progression” lol

So hypothetically something like this could have been what happened on the sidelines:

Kelly: Coach this is good time to run the ball. We have not taken a negative play all day & the clock keeps running. Plus we get a shorter kick & you know he has missed 5 extra points this year.

O'Brien: No. I'm going with a pass here & if we see we can't make it we should lose yards & go down. That way our very inconsistent kicker has a more difficult kick to make. But the clock keeps running.

After Watson throws the ball away.

Kelly: Coach the play clock is running down on the field goal. We should take a time out.

O'Brien: No. We might need them later. Plus it gives me a good feeling when I can go into the locker room with at least 1 time out still in my pocket & this way our very inconsistent kicker has a more difficult kick to make.

Kelly: I would have never thought of that strategy. I guess that's why you make the big bucks.

isn’t it crazy after going through the epic QB drought this franchise has had, that there are guys with Stockholm syndrome so severe they would prefer to get rid of Watson and go back to those day. Get rid of OBrien AND Watson they say after 3 years of “no progression” lol
So you too are a buffet guy? Just pick out what you want out of what I said and ignore the rest.

Edit, I thought you had me on ignore?

Stingray this is why you're having problems you're trying to force me into saying what you want me to say. Your question is not yes or no. I want him to stay if there's not a better return for him. If your question was do I think he is a franchise quarterback that would be a yes or no question. No I do not think he is a franchise QB.
Your trade proposal is as ridiculous as steelbtexans notion that Allen is better than Watson.

I have noticed a bit of trade talk circling around Watson recently and I find this quite unbelievable.
Reason being I remember quite vividly the atmosphere around here while we were on the QB carousel.
How soon we forget...
Watson is I agree not everything we could hope for in a QB but I also have not given up on him yet either as he is still quite young.
It is of course much more difficult in the NFL than the NCAAF however, he climbed to the top in the uber competitive college ball environment so I have no doubt about his talent or his competitive nature.
I also do not relish the idea of trying to draft another rookie and hoping for the best while we wait 2 or 3 years to see if he is satisfactory.
It would also likely cost at least 3 first round picks for a solid vet QB so we would be no further ahead as far as draft picks are concerned.
So for me, I just scratch and shake my head.
It is too soon to be looking down this alley just yet.

Not sure I agree with that, NE still isn’t looking all that great. They had times where they struggled against the Bengals of all teams

If we were playing them week 17 I bet they'll still be the favorites to win. If we get to them in the playoffs, I bet they get more than the standard 3 points

Its crazy. But there is always some in every group.

Good grief man. You put Watson on the market and of course you're going to get a good haul for him, because despite what seems more and more around here think about him, he's a difference maker.

And then when you do get your big return for him, you're back in the market of needing a franchise QB.

I just don't get the thought process of some around here. Been dying for a franchise QB since this team's inception, we finally get one and people are already giving up him before his 3rd year is even over. WTF?

Two can play this game...

We have already seen if you were wrong - fyi, you are - Allen has more bad games this year - that was the entirety of the post. It is indeed moving the goal post when you state a fact, someone disproves said fact and then you refuse to acknowledge what you were having a discussion about.

Not my opinion - I didn't offer an opinion on who I thought would have a better career (I hope both excel except when the Bills play us, then come on Josh I need that 24% QB rating bro).

I offered facts to dispute your opinion that Allen has had less bad games so far in 2019. You saw the actual statistics so "moved the goal post" to "yeah but what about their career?".

Definitely :uprights:

I know your next move - so my opinion is you will reply (you always reply) and you will say nothing about anything we have been talking about.

You get the last word.

If DW4 doesn't continue to improve we will revisit this.

I'm sure the excuses will flow easily.

You get the last word.

If DW4 doesn't continue to improve we will revisit this.

I'm sure the excuses will flow easily.

I'm fine with getting the last word - but I'm actually trying to have a discussion with you and you just want to spout off one liners.

I'm not sure what excuses I have given for anything about Watson? I did a comparison of Watson vs. Allen based on their to date 2019 stats. Maybe you have me confused with someone else? I haven't blamed Bob for Watson's shortcomings, haven't said he is the best QB in the league, haven't even given my opinion on if he is top 5.

So I just don't know why you keep replying to me with the comments you're making, because they have nothing to do with what I have actually said.

I have noticed a bit of trade talk circling around Watson recently and I find this quite unbelievable.
Reason being I remember quite vividly the atmosphere around here while we were on the QB carousel.
How soon we forget...
Watson is I agree not everything we could hope for in a QB but I also have not given up on him yet either as he is still quite young.
It is of course much more difficult in the NFL than the NCAAF however, he climbed to the top in the uber competitive college ball environment so I have no doubt about his talent or his competitive nature.
I also do not relish the idea of trying to draft another rookie and hoping for the best while we wait 2 or 3 years to see if he is satisfactory.
It would also likely cost at least 3 first round picks for a solid vet QB so we would be no further ahead as far as draft picks are concerned.
So for me, I just scratch and shake my head.
It is too soon to be looking down this alley just yet.

I'm with you. I don't get it. When has an NFL team traded a young, promising QB who has flashed like Watson for draft picks? Even if they trade Watson, who on Kirby do you trust to identify a franchise QB? Maybe I need to remind posters how hard it is to find that franchise QB.
  • Dan Marino retired in 1999. Twenty years later, the Dolphins are still trying to find a replacement
  • Jim Kelly retired in 1996. Twenty three years later, the Bills think they have a replacement in Josh Allen
  • Fifteen years ago, the Chargers gave up on Drew Brees and drafted Phillip Rivers, yet they still haven't won a championship
  • Five years ago, the Bucs drafted Winston. After five years, his inconsistencies still leads to 3, 4, 5 INTs games
  • Five years ago, the Titans drafted Mariota. Five years later, they are face with cutting Mariota and giving Ryan Tannehill $25M a year
  • Over the last 25 years, Chicago has drafted, traded and signed free agent QBs. All they have to show for it is inconsistent QB play for 25 years
  • Since 1995, the Browns have tried Tim Couch, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy and others. 23 years later, is Mayfield the answer?
I can go on and on. It's rare that a team goes from Manning to Luck or Favre to Rodgers. Luck was suppose to be one of the most NFL ready college QBs. How many championships did he win? Wilson gets a lot of positive reviews on this forum. Anyone remember the INT that cost his team a championship? Watson has barely played two seasons and the expectations are he should win a championship, play at the same level as HOF QBs with twice his experience or he will not amount to much or should be traded.

I just don't get why we can't sit back, watch the kid grow, criticize him when it's warranted and let history decide? Why do we so eagerly want to jump back into QB purgatory?

Your trade proposal is as ridiculous as steelbtexans notion that Allen is better than Watson.

Whats ridiculous about it? I’m actually asking. If it’s that Watson for three 1st rounds is a bad deal then I would disagree depending on where those picks are. If it’s ridiculous that Miami, or most any team with that many picks, would go for that deal then I agree with you.

I'm fine with getting the last word - but I'm actually trying to have a discussion with you and you just want to spout off one liners.

I'm not sure what excuses I have given for anything about Watson? I did a comparison of Watson vs. Allen based on their to date 2019 stats. Maybe you have me confused with someone else? I haven't blamed Bob for Watson's shortcomings, haven't said he is the best QB in the league, haven't even given my opinion on if he is top 5.

So I just don't know why you keep replying to me with the comments you're making, because they have nothing to do with what I have actually said.

I just reply to everybody that replies to me.

We obviously aren't on the same page.

I think Allen is going to end up being a better QB than DW4. Shoot me.

I will remember DW4 has better weapons, as long as you remember Allen has a much better defense.

If the Texans & Bills meet in the playoffs, it won't be Allen vs Watson directly. It will be Allen vs Texans defense, and Watson vs Bills defense. So if Allen has the better game statistically, it doesn't really prove anything.

OK

You do realize the QB that plays the best wins most games.

Did I say I expected them to be perfect? Did I say that OB doesn't F up on basic concepts? In fact what does Ob and his F ups even have to do with this? We are discussing Watson and one play in particular and all I said was that it is football 101 and that Watson shouldn't need to be remind of it every time it comes up. Its a basic part of the job that he has been doing his entire adult life. Yeah we all forget basic parts of our jobs at times but that doesn't mean our bosses should have to remind us of it every time it comes up so we don't forget again.

I'm not putting words in Austins23 mouth and this isn't aimed at him but if Watson has to be reminded "hey when trying to run the clock down don't throw an incomplete pass because it stops the clock" every time it comes up then we have a serious problem. There are a lot more important things to be said in that 30 second or so window of open mics.

It was one time and it is by no means time to push the panic button but the argument being made is that it was Watson's instincts. Ok great, but his instincts to extend plays and to go for it have also been part of the Jekyll and Hyde of this team. When it works he pulls a Houdini and is a one man highlight reel, when it doesn't he makes you wonder if he is worth the big payday he has coming up. Watson needs to start knowing when to overcome his instincts before it really costs us like it almost did last night.
Nonsense. It is NOT a basic part of the job. The basic part of the job is "don't take a sack, just throw the ball away, especially if we are in FG range. Throw the ball away! Throw the ball away! Throw the ball away!" Which is correct 99.8% of the time. But maybe 2 or 3 times a year the situation comes up like it did on Sunday - "if it's not a sure completion, just kneel down behind the line of scrimmage".

So absolutely yes the coach needs to remind the QB to do the opposite of what the coach tells him to do on every other play. Especially (OMG) if there was a timeout right before the play! If everyone would always do the right thing, even in a highly unusual situation then there shouldn't be any coaches at all. They should ditch the speaker in the helmet and the QB should never go talk to the coach during a timeout.

The really funny part is that by throwing the ball away, Watson was ignoring his instincts - just as he has been coached to do. If anyone thinks Watson might not be worth the huge payday he is about to get they need to spend less time reading the nonsense on this board.

I often wonder if any of the armchair quarterbacks around here watch any other teams or absorb NFL history.

NFL Films has done a great job of capturing the NFL over the decades, especially when they mic up players and/or coaches.

And through all the years I've watched NFL Films, what is clear is that even the best players need to be reminded of the basics from time to time.

Considering how much information a modern NFL QB is processing in a very short amount of time, getting reminded about game situations is critical.

Clint Stoerner talked about this very thing yesterday. He said even Peyton Manning would have a guy in his ear reminding him about basic stuff. And yeah, maybe he was already aware in the moment, but that did not exclude him from being reminded by coaches.

Watson is young, and this is a learning experience. But acting like this is somehow indicative of a learning disability or whatever other nonsense gets perpetuated only serves to reveal a preconceived agenda looking for confirmation bias.

These guys aren't perfect, and they never will be. Expecting perfection is an exercise in futility, and perhaps even a bit obtuse.

It was still a dumb play.

Im not having a hard time at all believe me. If you want to live in fantasy land and think that an NFL team wiil or should trade a qb drafted in the first round that has started his career 23-13 then go right ahead. Its just plain silly and is not even worth arguing about.

This reminds me of when Texian was in love with Bortles and screamed to the high heavens that nobody knew what they were talking about except him. In this case though its not about loving a guy its about how he sucks even though the evidence is the opposite.

This reminds me of when Texian was in love with Bortles and screamed to the high heavens that nobody knew what they were talking about except him. In this case though its not about loving a guy its about how he sucks even though the evidence is the opposite.

DW4 doesn't suck

He's just to inconsistent to win a championship.

Totally different things.

Back