Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the @Titans game.

A quick :tiphat:for all that went right in a must win game IMO. However, as much as I like Watson he just had too many errors. The INT to Vacarro was just a ridiculous decision and the second one to pass within ten yard line was just too stupid. I'm willing to wait for OBrien to come out tomorrow and say it was his play not #4 but it sure looked ridiculous the way Hyde was toting the rock. As my friend tried to defend him saying pass was deflected, I replied "could not been deflected if it was not in the air." From @riversmccowen

Watson throws a pass behind TE Fells (IIRC) that hits back of his shoulder. Not a high yardage play but added to the other bad throws like the one that bounced in front of Hop who hit the turf to try to make it look close. The sack over Clark should have been avoidable. Watson knows his right side blocking is week and as he calls play in huddle he should think "I better watch out or I am going to get hit..." . I am not a fan of Clark as Johnson should be starting but jeez Louise!

Denver was a horrible game and I did not see vs Titans what I needed to for me to change my mind on trading Watson this off season for the deal I mentioned elsewhere.

I think RAC had a poor day with his play calling over all.

I thought RAC did a good job. The Mercilus Int saved the day for the defense.

I thought RAC did a good job. The Mercilus Int saved the day for the defense.
well that sort of makes my point that one play made the difference. I'm glad he got it but what else did he and McKinney do? Only time I noticed either was on play you mention and when Mc got injured. There were many plays wide around Titans OL ends but rarely bothered Tanny. One of my buds said "I'm so sick of RAC's soft defense." and that was with all our starting DBs.

Still not sure why people on this board think that Watson and OB aren’t able to both suck in the same game at the same time. This Watson vs O’Brien thing is so stupid and doesn’t seem to get applied to any other teams.

No one is saying that OB or RAC had good games against Broncs or Ravens but that doesn’t mean Watson didn’t have bad games there to.

At this point I really do wish they’d fire OB because the bias on this board has made this place a dumpster fire. Every post is the same thing just slightly worded different.

At this point we have beaten more dead horses than a glue factory.
Lets play a hypothetical game.. put Deshaun with Harbaugh or Andy Reid and Lamar or Mahomes with Bob.. but lets say we put them on the same offense all the coaches with the qbs I mentioned. I would bet my money that Deshaun would come out with the better stats and wins.

Lets play a hypothetical game.. put Deshaun with Harbaugh or Andy Reid and Lamar or Mahomes with Bob.. but lets say we put them on the same offense all the coaches with the qbs I mentioned. I would bet my money that Deshaun would come out with the better stats and wins.
Agreed but that does not mean you would be getting all you should from Watson.

Would you agree that the last 5 games.

Balt- DW4 played like Crap
Colts- DW4 was avg and they were lucky to win. If the 2 dropped INT's happened they would've lost.
Pats- Played great
Broncos- Sucked a**, but a team loss, including BOB.
Tacks- You tell me what you think? Not good enough to win in the playoffs. IMHO

Now look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself those questions. But put Bill O'brien's name in there instead of Watson. Shoots you can put RAC name there to.

Now look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself those questions. But put Bill O'brien's name in there instead of Watson. Shoots you can put RAC name there to.

Ravens game- Better team won
Colts game- they got lucky, BOB/DW4 for different reasons
Pats game- Both were great
Broncos- Team loss = BOB
Tacks= BOB called a great game today and DW4 was below avg but made enough plays to win the game.

Lately DW4 is playing top 15 QB not top 5.

They need top 5 to win a championship. This has nothing to do with BOB.

Reactions: Max
Ravens game- Better team won
Colts game- they got lucky, BOB/DW4 for different reasons
Pats game- Both were great
Broncos- Team loss = BOB
Tacks= BOB called a great game today and DW4 was below avg but made enough plays to win the game.

Lately DW4 is playing top 15 QB not top 5.

They need top 5 to win a championship. This has nothing to do with BOB.
Oh man , I get it now. BOB is to you what Blake Bortles was to Texian. It all makes sense now.

It was a good win vs a hot team all things considered and it's nice to still be up on the division.

2 redzone INTs by DW won't win in the playoffs. Which is what worries me, especially on the road where KC and Baltimore are hard places to play. Fortunately, Deshaun tends to step his game up in such games but still, let's get him focused on some decisions making. He wasn't horrible, but turnovers turned this game from a blowout to far closer than it needed to be.

Roderick Johnson is so much better than Chris Clark. Idk why we keep trying to rotate Clark.

I don't think we have the talent to play 4 consistent quarters on defense. This team definitely needs the offense to be the charge yet it's the defense who makes plays that swing momentum. Such an odd team.

We have absolutely no pass rush except for the occasional moment. Tannehill had an eternity on so many plays today.

I love that we won despite some offensive hiccups and defense giving up a handful of big plays and long drives. Sometimes winning ugly is perfect because you can really jump on the players during practice to fix the issues.

I guess the LWW thing is real this season. Its probably a coincidence if anything but still what a weird pattern

Bill O'Brien officially has 5 winning seasons as HC. Congrats to him. Now solidify the division. There's still a lot of football left.

Re-watching the game... seeing these corners attempt to tackle is just ugly. Maybe we've been spoiled these past several years with KJ and young JJo? Those guys were extremely good tacklers.

But yah, RAC will need to make some adjustments to the prevent D. It doesn't work when you don't have a pass rush and a secondary that can't tackle.

During Fairbairn's last FG... anyone know why we didn't call a timeout to prevent the delay of game? Why were they so late setting up anyways?

Harbaugh yeah but I fully agree he’s a better coach than OB. Of course he’s also a better coach than I’d say 25 other teams as well. You might as well say “Put Watson with Belichick and see if he doesn’t do better.” Harbaugh completely redesigned his offense around a rookie QB, that sounds easy and like something every coach should do but it’s insanely hard. You have to rethink and rebuilt years of schemes and planning. Why do you think it’s been such a big story, because most coaches, even SB winning coaches, can’t do it.

Reid, no I don’t believe Watson would have better numbers. I don’t get the damn love affair people around here have with Reid. He can’t create a run game to save his life, ignores the defense way worse than BoB and since he got to KC had the exact same record as BoB with a way better QB in Smith. Go read the KC boards, on second thought don’t I wouldn’t want to subject anyone to that place, they have been calling for Reid’s head like we have BoB’s.

Reid had one good year last year and it was before teams got film on Mahomes. Guess what though, all that stuff Mahomes was doing in 18 Watson was doing it first in 17. The difference was Watson got injured and Mahomes didn’t, if Watson hadn’t gotten hurt I fully believe that we would have gone to the AFCC and MAYBE the SB that year.

Teams got film on Watson and learned how to plan for him best they could, this year they have done the same to Mahomes. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great QBs just means they are men and not supermen.

Last edited:
Today the offence moved the chains on its first drive, it’s always obvious whether what OB has schemed for the day will work or not from the opening drive. There will be no plan B with this team.
Today their offence was rolling early, and today they won the game.

Games where what we are doing on O isn’t working, they wouldn’t get it worked out if they played all day.

Important win for playoff aspirations. I don’t believe this team can beat 3 or 4 good teams in a row to make this a truly successful season though.

During Fairbairn's last FG... anyone know why we didn't call a timeout to prevent the delay of game? Why were they so late setting up anyways?
You let the clock run out instead of timeout at 1 second there, and it makes the difference in them calling game over on the attempted spike later on. That part was good.

Why isn't Jonnu Smith the best TE in the game? The guy seems to always make big plays against the Texans. He's extremely fast! He seems to have the skillset to be one of the better TEs in the game.

Jonnu Smith has really come into his own this year. He previously would make a nice flash but the #1 TE for the Titans was Delanie Walker who was Mr. Automatic when it came to catches and routes. He broke his lower leg last season and this season he's just not healed up right and he had to have another procedure on it, landing him on IR (I was on a flight with him on Thursday and he's still in a walking boot). He wants to come back next year but he'll be 36 years old and I'm not sure if the team will want him back at the money he was making, despite the fact that he's been the TE template for this team for so long (best since Frank Wycheck). Smith is the new guy and hasn't found his ceiling yet.

well that sort of makes my point that one play made the difference. I'm glad he got it but what else did he and McKinney do? Only time I noticed either was on play you mention and when Mc got injured. There were many plays wide around Titans OL ends but rarely bothered Tanny. One of my buds said "I'm so sick of RAC's soft defense." and that was with all our starting DBs.
Titans have a good Oline.
And somebody had to be doing the defending on our side of the ball - iow, there is more to defense than flashy stats and BMac and Merci are solid for this team.
I am glad they are not on IR.

He is getting better all the time and he ain't going away.
He is what he is and I am glad he is a Texan.
By year 5 he should be top 5 or better.

Just curious, why did you quote a post about Lamar Jackson?

So my brothers baby couldnt wait another day to come out so she'll forever be the "Tennessee Baby" to me!! Thanks alot Camilla!

Did the best I could to keep up on my phone, and worst part was in the hustle to leave the house I forgot to set the DVR!! Rookie Mistake! I've watched the brief recaps to catch up on any signature plays and I'll try to invest some time at some point to a deeper play by play dive. (hey did anyone catch if Watson was DRIFTING RIGHT???)

Offense:
So I see Deshaun is still a whipping boy! LOL ... for all the grief he gets and I suppose people will try to paint yesterdays contest as a "bad game", but in reality Deshaun did what he does best .. WIN THE BIG GAME. All kinds of pressure, hostile environment, chippy defense and he got it done. Credit to OBrien as well for calling a clean game FOR THE MOST PART. Run game was punishing! Just a mild case of "Tunsilitis" LOL no false starts, JUST a hold this game, I guess he switched to a Sativa!! J/J (kinda) ... Fuller was solid, Nuk was PHENOMENAL (as usual) dude was so clutch in the 4th Q huge grabs! Did ya'll see that pass where Deshaun is flushed out running full speed left, and he he squares his body on the move and delivers a FROZEN ROPE to Nuk for a critical gain - that was awesome. Only 2-3 QBs in the NFL can make that throw. Then he used the wheels in another 3rd and long to pick up the first down. IMO Deshaun played great (insert HOMER joke here_____) he completed 70% of his passes, QB rating 92.1 and threw 9 air yards per attempt. Again, on the road against a team who had been on fire, at their place? Awesome. I especially loved a sequence where Deshaun had about enough of the BS and he ran for a short gain out of bounds, dude SPIKES the ball and hurries to the huddle to open up a warm can of STFU for his offensive linemen and everyone in that huddle. Ya'll think de doesnt have the fire and capacity to get it done? LOL those guys that are going down with that ship will feel really dumb in the near future. My gripe is calling cute passes on the goal line when you've already shown you can run the ball down their throat, dont draw up plays where you have a congested playing space and those things wont happen. Thats not only on Watson, but on OBrien too, if you go with something else that doesnt happen. Simple. The first INT was all Watson.

Grade - B+

Defense:
Holy Schnikes was Cunningham a heat seeking missile out there yesterday. I was astounded how great he played. I was reading up on him last week, and some "stat nerds" were making the case for him as one of the best run defenders in the league .. yeah he pretty much solidified that opinion now. McKinney was average - I'd say almost expendable with that contract for a one dimensional ILB, and a guy who wont be the best run defender anymore = cap casualty. DBs had their moments. As a group they are piss poor at tackling, been the same problem all year. Attack it with numbers I guess, SWARM. JJO had a nice breakup early on, and each guy independently had flashes, but RAC is attacking his problem with scheme. He doesnt have what he needs to go exotic like when he has a true Elephant in there, no more amoeba fronts, or psycho alignments (JD/WATT lining up A GAP/moving all over the line) so his Triple B defense does JUST ENOUGH to win another game. RAC is the best coordinator on this team and I'd love for anyone to dispute that. Going "soft" in coverage has allowed the defense to stay competitive without giving up all the home run balls. Hey Mercy!! C'MON MAAAAN!! You gotta take that to the house!!! Need more conditioning after practice or something, Cunningham should have laid the dude out who made the tackle on that breakaway! Cool ass play, JReid with the huge plays again this game. EVERYBODY was on the Tanney Train, and we were able to see what regression to the mean looks like firsthand. Tanney left plays on the field himself, and as hot as he was, he didnt make as many as WAtson, thanks to this much maligned defense.

Grade - B+

Special Teams:
First blocked FG of the year couldnt have come at a better time!! I think Seely did a fine job, I particularly like the timeout at the end of the game which he directed so he could show his guys the alignment and what more to expect. Coverage teams where air tight and disciplined and they were one of the reasons we won the game. Fairbairn seems to be righting the ship somewhat.

Grade - A

Coaching:
OBrien had these guys ready to play early. No sleepy 1Q/1H .. went in there with running the ball as the priority and they succeeded. Play action once the run was established opened up the playbook. OBrien did what Tennessee had been doing. Pound, and play action. I couldnt find the TOP in my quick reference this morning, feels like we won that battle too. Not sure. OBrien had them ready for the Vrable "cute stuff" and we didnt get caught with our pants down this game. GOOD JOB - (see that OBrien sycophants I GAVE HIM happy belly rubs) I didnt like some of the plays and ultimately decisions made by Watson on the goaline INT, but for the most part it was a clean call. RAC did his thing on the defensive side and was able to slow down the Titan offense that EVERYBODY felt was going to run over us and would be a win for Tennessee.

Grade - A

*** NO LETDOWNS NEXT WEEK!!! Jameis Winston is REALLY ON FIRE (not the gimmicky PA stuff Tanney is doing, this guy is a straight up gunslinger) he did lose Godwin yesterday and no Mike Evans, so ON PAPER this should be a W, but dammit which team are we going to get next week? THIS IS THE TIME YOU MAKE IT A POINT TO DWINDLE THE PLAYBOOK AND DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO TROT OUT A CONSISTENT TEAM!! Playoffs are literally around the corner.

Is O'Brien an underachieving coach, or is Watson a young QB still developing? I think it may be the latter. BOB has gotten a lot of mileage out of journeyman quarterbacks, so labeling him as incompetent doesn't seem to add up.

Either way, it was a gutsy road win against a surging team.

Both

They're a bad fit.

So my brothers baby couldnt wait another day to come out so she'll forever be the "Tennessee Baby" to me!! Thanks alot Camilla!

Did the best I could to keep up on my phone, and worst part was in the hustle to leave the house I forgot to set the DVR!! Rookie Mistake! I've watched the brief recaps to catch up on any signature plays and I'll try to invest some time at some point to a deeper play by play dive. (hey did anyone catch if Watson was DRIFTING RIGHT???)

Offense:
So I see Deshaun is still a whipping boy! LOL ... for all the grief he gets and I suppose people will try to paint yesterdays contest as a "bad game", but in reality Deshaun did what he does best .. WIN THE BIG GAME. All kinds of pressure, hostile environment, chippy defense and he got it done. Credit to OBrien as well for calling a clean game FOR THE MOST PART. Run game was punishing! Just a mild case of "Tunsilitis" LOL no false starts, JUST a hold this game, I guess he switched to a Sativa!! J/J (kinda) ... Fuller was solid, Nuk was PHENOMENAL (as usual) dude was so clutch in the 4th Q huge grabs! Did ya'll see that pass where Deshaun is flushed out running full speed left, and he he squares his body on the move and delivers a FROZEN ROPE to Nuk for a critical gain - that was awesome. Only 2-3 QBs in the NFL can make that throw. Then he used the wheels in another 3rd and long to pick up the first down. IMO Deshaun played great (insert HOMER joke here_____) he completed 70% of his passes, QB rating 92.1 and threw 9 air yards per attempt. Again, on the road against a team who had been on fire, at their place? Awesome. I especially loved a sequence where Deshaun had about enough of the BS and he ran for a short gain out of bounds, dude SPIKES the ball and hurries to the huddle to open up a warm can of STFU for his offensive linemen and everyone in that huddle. Ya'll think de doesnt have the fire and capacity to get it done? LOL those guys that are going down with that ship will feel really dumb in the near future. My gripe is calling cute passes on the goal line when you've already shown you can run the ball down their throat, dont draw up plays where you have a congested playing space and those things wont happen. Thats not only on Watson, but on OBrien too, if you go with something else that doesnt happen. Simple. The first INT was all Watson.

Grade - B+

Defense:
Holy Schnikes was Cunningham a heat seeking missile out there yesterday. I was astounded how great he played. I was reading up on him last week, and some "stat nerds" were making the case for him as one of the best run defenders in the league .. yeah he pretty much solidified that opinion now. McKinney was average - I'd say almost expendable with that contract for a one dimensional ILB, and a guy who wont be the best run defender anymore = cap casualty. DBs had their moments. As a group they are piss poor at tackling, been the same problem all year. Attack it with numbers I guess, SWARM. JJO had a nice breakup early on, and each guy independently had flashes, but RAC is attacking his problem with scheme. He doesnt have what he needs to go exotic like when he has a true Elephant in there, no more amoeba fronts, or psycho alignments (JD/WATT lining up A GAP/moving all over the line) so his Triple B defense does JUST ENOUGH to win another game. RAC is the best coordinator on this team and I'd love for anyone to dispute that. Going "soft" in coverage has allowed the defense to stay competitive without giving up all the home run balls. Hey Mercy!! C'MON MAAAAN!! You gotta take that to the house!!! Need more conditioning after practice or something, Cunningham should have laid the dude out who made the tackle on that breakaway! Cool ass play, JReid with the huge plays again this game. EVERYBODY was on the Tanney Train, and we were able to see what regression to the mean looks like firsthand. Tanney left plays on the field himself, and as hot as he was, he didnt make as many as WAtson, thanks to this much maligned defense.

Grade - B+

Special Teams:
First blocked FG of the year couldnt have come at a better time!! I think Seely did a fine job, I particularly like the timeout at the end of the game which he directed so he could show his guys the alignment and what more to expect. Coverage teams where air tight and disciplined and they were one of the reasons we won the game. Fairbairn seems to be righting the ship somewhat.

Grade - A

Coaching:
OBrien had these guys ready to play early. No sleepy 1Q/1H .. went in there with running the ball as the priority and they succeeded. Play action once the run was established opened up the playbook. OBrien did what Tennessee had been doing. Pound, and play action. I couldnt find the TOP in my quick reference this morning, feels like we won that battle too. Not sure. OBrien had them ready for the Vrable "cute stuff" and we didnt get caught with our pants down this game. GOOD JOB - (see that OBrien sycophants I GAVE HIM happy belly rubs) I didnt like some of the plays and ultimately decisions made by Watson on the goaline INT, but for the most part it was a clean call. RAC did his thing on the defensive side and was able to slow down the Titan offense that EVERYBODY felt was going to run over us and would be a win for Tennessee.

Grade - A

*** NO LETDOWNS NEXT WEEK!!! Jameis Winston is REALLY ON FIRE (not the gimmicky PA stuff Tanney is doing, this guy is a straight up gunslinger) he did lose Godwin yesterday and no Mike Evans, so ON PAPER this should be a W, but dammit which team are we going to get next week? THIS IS THE TIME YOU MAKE IT A POINT TO DWINDLE THE PLAYBOOK AND DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO TROT OUT A CONSISTENT TEAM!! Playoffs are literally around the corner.

You sure have alot of opinions for a guy who didn't watch the game.

DW4 was avg. It wasn't only the 2 picks in the EZ. It was the play at the end of the game where he should've taken a sack to run 40 seconds off of the clock and finish the game out instead of throwing the ball away. These are the types of plays that will cost the Texans a W in the playoffs.

We know the Texans are capable of winning tough games. Consistency is the key takeaway. We just aren't. That is going to squash any chance of us truly contending in the post season. Also, you would think RAC would know how to scheme better when protecting a lead at the end of games. It didn't cost us today but is has before and will in the future against the teams we need to beat.

learning moments

Hopefully

But according to a few DW4 is (What's the phrase another poster uses but I'm not allowed too?) So he already knows everything. Just look at his last post as an example.

Criticizing DW4's play is off limits around these parts to some.

We know the Texans are capable of winning tough games. Consistency is the key takeaway. We just aren't. That is going to squash any chance of us truly contending in the post season. Also, you would think RAC would know how to scheme better when protecting a lead at the end of games. It didn't cost us today but is has before and will in the future against the teams we need to beat.

Agreed and great post.

Until they get more consistent QB play expect more of what we've seen the last 5 games. It is what it is.

Unc Rico is right this Cunningham kid is playing lights-out. He's now #3 in the league in tackles with another double digit outing in Nashville yesterday.
Only 25, just had his BD and he's just in his third year in the league. A jewel of a 2nd round pick by former GM Rick Smith.

Unc Rico is right this Cunningham kid is playing lights-out. He's now #3 in the league in tackles with another double digit outing in Nashville yesterday.
Only 25, just had his BD and he's just in his third year in the league. A jewel of a 2nd round pick by former GM Rick Smith.

Yep and Corrosion and I talked about how much we liked the pick at the time. I liked LT Dion Dawkins more (Beerlover/Bah did too) and if that pick had been made then the Texans would have all of their draft picks for the next 2 yrs. So while Cunningham was a great pick he wasn't a great value pick.

DW4 was avg. It wasn't only the 2 picks in the EZ. It was the play at the end of the game where he should've taken a sack to run 40 seconds off of the clock and finish the game out instead of throwing the ball away. These are the types of plays that will cost the Texans a W in the playoffs.
DISCLAIMER - not trying to add gas to the fire here...

That is the type of play that the Head Coach / OC needs to YELL into that microphone in his helmet ear, "Listen, if you get flushed out of the pocket get to the ground IN BOUNDS!"
Now if OB did do that and Watson chucked it out of the end zone in a panic move, then that's on Watson. But it is also on the HC/OC to remind him of those things.

That is the type of play that the Head Coach / OC needs to YELL into that microphone in his helmet ear, "Listen, if you get flushed out of the pocket get to the ground IN BOUNDS!"
Now if OB did do that and Watson chucked it out of the end zone in a panic move, then that's on Watson. But it is also on the HC/OC to remind him of those things.

Why would a HC need to tell a guy who's played QB his entire life about game situational awareness? I got called out for wrongly saying DW4 was stoopid. Apparently you're saying the same thing. (Not trying to put words in your mouth)

Why would a HC need to tell a guy who's played QB his entire life about game situational awareness? I got called out for wrongly saying DW4 was stoopid. Apparently you're saying the same thing. (Not trying to put words in your mouth)
I know you're not trying to put words in my mouth.

I guarantee, Belichik is reminding his OC to remind Brady, Peyton is reminding Brees, Packers HC / OC is reminding Rodgers of the same thing in that scenario. Good coaches that know game situations inside and out remind the QB's of what to do in said situations.

Like I said, maybe OB did remind him and if so then Watson panicked and that's on him.

Sorry but that is football 101, if you are trying to kill the clock then you stay in bounds, run it as much as possible and abuse the play timer. Anything to keep the game clock running. There are literally only a few seconds that the sideline can talk to the QB before they kill the mics so why should they have to take that time to remind Watson of something that even causal fans know? What you are saying Watson needs does not jive with the brilliant play breakdown we see from him in interviews. Unless Watson is for some reason able to process complex plays and formations but can't grasp basic simple football concepts.

Back