Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Takeaways from the @Titans game.

Here is a good illustration of Watson's first INT. He was looking right and then threw late to the left. Great play and disguise by the Titans defense, but I still don't like Hopkins and Fuller's route.

Watson's first option is far right and then has to come back and scan far left. If Johnson was just a decoy, where is the option in the middle of the field? Seem like Fuller should have been running a slant.

Fuller on a slant there would've been 6. It would've been a great rub route where either Nuk was wide open for at least a 1st down or Fuller could hit the gas on a slant. At first glance, DW4 got fooled, pre snap by a single high safety transitioning to cover 2 post snap. Not the 1st QB to be caught by that. On 2nd glance, Either Fuller or Nuk runs the wrong route. I'm leaning towards fuller due to lack of playing time and coverage, pre snap.

historic qb numbers is a wash. qb position being redefined.
lamar is on 10 game winning streak

10 games smashing competetion
Jackson is going to be a flash in the pan QB. I'll admit it's been one helluva flash in 2019, but I'll be surprised if he's playing at this level for more than a few years. I want TB12 years of being elite. Not RGIII.

Now take 2018 out of it and then compare them head to head.

Edit: To clarify I mean compare the two up till Reid got Mahomes on the field in 2018. Up to that point they are neck and neck.

Also Reid has been coaching for over 20 years so yeah not surprised he has gotten up a lot of wins. He was great in Philly but hasn’t done much for KC.
Sure.

Regular season
Reid 53-27 .663
O'Brien 42-38 .525

Playoff Record
Reid: 1-4 .200
O'Brien: 1-3 .250

Made Playoffs
Reid: 4 of 5 years
O'Brien: 3 of 5 years

Losing Seasons:
Reid: 0
O'Brien: 1

Best achievement in post season:
Reid: AFC Divisional Round
O'Brien: AFC Divisional Round

Interesting trivia. The only post season game Reid won before 2018 came in the 2015 playoffs where Reid absolutely annihilated O'Brien 30-0.

So to sum up even without 2018 Reid has a much better regular season record, went to more playoff games than O'Brien, and won as many playoff games as O'Brien. The one place O'Brien has a better record is in playoff losses & that could well be because he did not manage to go to as many as Reid.

The main point is Reid is the kind of coach that can & did make it to the AFCCG after 6 season. If O'Brien makes it to AFCCG this year (his sixth season) then maybe he could be in the conversation. That is if Reid does not do it again.

One other thing. Andy Reid is a member of a pretty exclusive club of head coaches that have managed to take 2 different teams to conference championships.

To be far other than the game with the Saints which games have we lost where Watson had a good game? Even the Saints game OB didn’t get out coached the defense. I will agree that even in some of the wins the team hasn’t looked good, today was a prime example.

I think many of us have an over inflated opinion of our team. I know I do. I remember thinking Posey, Strong, & Miller added value to our receiving corps.

Games like the Colts, Broncos, & Titans bring a bit of reality home. Those aren't bad teams, but they're not good teams & it took all we had to win (Broncos not included).

We have no business going to the playoffs. Right now, we're the weakest division leader & I'm hoping we get the three seed because I want to avoid Baltimore.

But I believe in magic. I'm hoping we catch some over the next three weeks & win it all.

I think the disparity between Bill O'Brien win/loss record with Watson vs without tells all we need to know about who is more responsible for winning around here.

Still, as good as he is, Watson has a lot of room for improvement.
True - which is one of the reasons you give your qb the resources he needs to succeed.
Experience also helps but comes only with the passage of time.

I think many of us have an over inflated opinion of our team. I know I do. I remember thinking Posey, Strong, & Miller added value to our receiving corps.

Games like the Colts, Broncos, & Titans bring a bit of reality home. Those aren't bad teams, but they're not good teams & it took all we had to win (Broncos not included).

We have no business going to the playoffs. Right now, we're the weakest division leader & I'm hoping we get the three seed because I want to avoid Baltimore.

But I believe in magic. I'm hoping we catch some over the next three weeks & win it all.
Including the NFC East?

Not sure I agree with that, NE still isn’t looking all that great. They had times where they struggled against the Bengals of all teams. Chiefs we did beat them once and they were a bit healthier than they are now not counting Mahomes. Though they have looked good since he got back. It really all depends on what Texans team shows up to work.

Ravens are going to beat everyone down baring an upset.

Sure.

Regular season
Reid 53-27 .663
O'Brien 42-38 .525

Playoff Record
Reid: 1-4 .200
O'Brien: 1-3 .250

Made Playoffs
Reid: 4 of 5 years
O'Brien: 3 of 5 years

Losing Seasons:
Reid: 0
O'Brien: 1

Best achievement in post season:
Reid: AFC Divisional Round
O'Brien: AFC Divisional Round

Interesting trivia. The only post season game Reid won before 2018 came in the 2015 playoffs where Reid absolutely annihilated O'Brien 30-0.

So to sum up even without 2018 Reid has a much better regular season record, went to more playoff games than O'Brien, and won as many playoff games as O'Brien. The one place O'Brien has a better record is in playoff losses & that could well be because he did not manage to go to as many as Reid.

The main point is Reid is the kind of coach that can & did make it to the AFCCG after 6 season. If O'Brien makes it to AFCCG this year (his sixth season) then maybe he could be in the conversation. That is if Reid does not do it again.

One other thing. Andy Reid is a member of a pretty exclusive club of head coaches that have managed to take 2 different teams to conference championships.

One factor to consider is that for his entire time in KC Reid had Smith till he got Mahomes. Now Smith is by no means a franchise guy but he was a far sight better than anything the Texans had.

Another factor is that in the Chiefs division the only team that has been any kind of real threat for years are the Broncos. While Texans had Luck and the Colts.

I still say if Watson had not gotten hurt we would have gone to at least the AFCC in 17 but we’ll never know.

Look I’m not trying to defend OB, my main point is that Reid is not an upgrade. Oh he has a few different bells and lights but he’s worse at the run game and ignores the defense more than OB does on his worse day. So no I would not take Reid over OB.

To me asking which one I would take as HC is like asking if I want to be kicked in the balls with the left foot or right foot. No matter which you pick it’s not going to end well.

I think the disparity between Bill O'Brien win/loss record with Watson vs without tells all we need to know about who is more responsible for winning around here.

Right. And just to remind everyone:

without Watson - 28-30, .483
with Watson - 23-13, .639

Still, as good as he is, Watson has a lot of room for improvement.

Right again. After 3 years, there was a lot of room for improvement for damn near any great QB that's every played.

This one I disagree with. If the other 3 teams can't beat us to it, then we absolutely deserve to be there. And the NFC East would argue about weakest division leader.

What they do once they get there is a whole other can of worms. I wouldn't worry about getting the 3 seed to not face Baltimore in the 2nd round, I'd worry about getting it to not face Buffalo in the 1st round. I could see that being an ugly ugly 12-10 type of game that could go either way.

One factor to consider is that for his entire time in KC Reid had Smith till he got Mahomes. Now Smith is by no means a franchise guy but he was a far sight better than anything the Texans had.
See I consider that another indicator that Reid is a much better coach. He knew what he wanted in a QB & went & got it. In fact he did it twice (Smith then Mahomes). I wonder what it would have been like if O'Brien could have actually chose a decent QB instead of playing musical chairs with Fitzpatrick, Mallett, Hoyer etc.

I'm sorry but I refuse to give O'Brien some kind of credit for going 9-7 with the garbage QBs that he wanted in the weakest division in the league. Pulling people after 1 quarter & all that mess.

He actually held onto Savage for 4 seasons and thought he could start him. That to me shows all I need to know about his QB evaluation skills.

Sorry about the rant but I've got 6 years of frustration with O'Brien running the show.

Another factor is that in the Chiefs division the only team that has been any kind of real threat for years are the Broncos. While Texans had Luck and the Colts.
Before Watson the Texans went to the playoffs in 2015 & 2016.

The AFC South records for those 2 years:
2015: Texans 9-7, Colts 8-8, Titans 3-13, Jaguars 5-11
2016: Texans 9-7, Colts 8-8, Titans 9-7, Jaguars 3-13

The Chiefs went to the Playoffs in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

The AFC West records for those 4 years:
2013: Chiefs 11-5, Broncos 13-3, Chargers 9-7, Raiders 4-12 (Chiefs & Chargers were both WCs)
2015: Chiefs 11-5, Broncos 12-4, Chargers 4-12, Raiders 7-9 (Chiefs were a WC)
2016: Chiefs 12-4, Broncos 9-7, Chargers 5-11, Raiders 12-4 (Raiders were a WC)
2017: Chiefs 10-6, Broncos 5-11, Chargers 9-7, Raiders 6-10

I would say their division was at least as tough as ours.

To me asking which one I would take as HC is like asking if I want to be kicked in the balls with the left foot or right foot. No matter which you pick it’s not going to end well.
Well we can agree to disagree on that one. I think Reid is undoubtedly an upgrade over O'Brien. In fact I will say that I am entirely certain that Reid is a HOF coach.

Like my dad used to say, first world problems. We used to complain about not having a franchise qb, and now e have one and some still complain.

Well that would be if your assumption that everybody thinks Watson is a franchise quarterback is correct, wouldn't it? I had hopes when we drafted him that he would be but I have not seen that so far. Blowing out TB and Titans next two games would still not show he is a franchise QB. I need to see him take this team to the Super Bowl In February. He does have the potential to be a franchise QB but I need to see that next level that he has not presented at least so far. A good step would be for him to quit the stupid mistakes. To avoid the back and forth that Steelb encountered after his prior statement, I am not saying Watson is stupid. An intelligent person can make stupid mistakes.

Well that would be if your assumption that everybody thinks Watson is a franchise quarterback is correct, wouldn't it? I had hopes when we drafted him that he would be but I have not seen that so far. Blowing out TB and Titans next two games would still not show he is a franchise QB. I need to see him take this team to the Super Bowl In February. He does have the potential to be a franchise QB but I need to see that next level that he has not presented at least so far. A good step would be for him to quit the stupid mistakes. To avoid the back and forth that Steelb encountered after his prior statement, I am not saying Watson is stupid. An intelligent person can make stupid mistakes.
If you don’t think that Watson is a franchise QB then there isn’t anything really to talk about because we are not coming to an agreement on anything. This super bowl or bust mentality is just not rational but oh well, everyone can have their opinion.

Wow I just read a comment suggesting we trade Watson in the offseason. Unbelievable, we finally get a franchise QB who is playing light years better than all of those throwaways we’ve had. Whose either putting us in position to beat elite teams, beating great teams and with a few bad losses to elite teams. And you want to trade him. Wow just to start all over knowing darn well O’Brien’s offense is complicated. Yes let’s scrap this and start all over.
As I am the only one proposing trade of Watson (I think), I will respond. First if you are responding to my comment (I apologise if you aren't) you should include what I suggested the trade should be and if you want to dialog say why you think the trade should not be done. Perhaps you did so in the thread I proposed the trade as I've not reviewed for a bit. My trade would be to Miami for picks 1.3, 1.22 and 1.23.

There is just so much wrong with your above post. First your last sentence, I've not seen anyone including SteelbTexan say we should scrap this team and start over. On a side note you accuse him of never criticising OBrien and as often as Steel & I disagree and yes he does drone on and on sometimes he has repeatedly given fair criticism to our HC.

2. A franchise player at any position plays at that level often as does Watt and Hopkins both of whom I have criticised over their career when I thought it was fair to do so. Watson is not a franchise QB; he might become one but has not yet and that is why I criticise his mistakes and recognize his positives.

3. If #4 was a franchise QB he should be putting us in position to beat and beating elite and great teams. We beat one great team (NE) and loss by 2 points to a great team (Saints) and I recognise that but we should have swept Colts and stomped Denver. In our game two we beat JAGS by 1 point and Tenn by 3. That has to be noted and no I am not blaming Watson for all of it but I cannot ignore his blunders as in the recent win vs Titans. Feel like I have to say this again but I'm in favor of firing OBrien. I agree OB's offense is over complicated.

4. Boasting about Watson playing better than other QBs we've had seems hollow to me but you are correct, he has. I think Dashaun is a very good QB who needs to step up and he has some but not as he should if he is a franchise.

Mahomes for 1.

Jimmy G

Josh Allen

Murray

Jackson

BTW, I would take Burrow and Tua if healthy over DW4
Oh man.. wow. Josh Allen and Murray? Lolololl. You really don’t watch football or just hate Watson. Josh Allen has a 55% completion rate and turns over the ball just as much as Watson. The dude isn’t very accurate. Watson had more tds in seven games in his rookie year that Murray has had in 14 games this year.

If you don’t think that Watson is a franchise QB then there isn’t anything really to talk about because we are not coming to an agreement on anything. This super bowl or bust mentality is just not rational but oh well, everyone can have their opinion.
Minor correction--my post about Super Bowl is for this season for me to evaluate Watson as franchise especially after the Denver debacle. Beating TB and Titans again will be great but not prove him to be franchise. When we drafted him I was very hopeful and posted I saw him then as a "franchise type QB". I think there is more information against him as a franchise than for. For you to say because we disagree over that point means we cannot agree on anything seems --irrational.
Thank you for allowing me to have an opinion.

Minor correction--my post about Super Bowl is for this season for me to evaluate Watson as franchise especially after the Denver debacle. Beating TB and Titans again will be great but not prove him to be franchise. When we drafted him I was very hopeful and posted I saw him then as a "franchise type QB". I think there is more information against him as a franchise than for. For you to say because we disagree over that point means we cannot agree on anything seems --irrational.
Thank you for allowing me to have an opinion.
So you put him as not being a franchise qb category because he lost to Denver but you then say that you won’t even consider him as a franchise qb even if he wins against the Bucs or the Titans? So basically he has to win or play great every game or win a super bowl. Im all confused.

Last edited:
Oh man.. wow. Josh Allen and Murray? Lolololl. You really don’t watch football or just hate Watson. Josh Allen has a 55% completion rate and turns over the ball just as much as Watson. The dude isn’t very accurate. Watson had more tds in seven games in his rookie year that Murray has had in 14 games this year.

They have potential to be better.

I'll take Allen over DW4 if they meet in the playoffs. I'm sure it will be all BOB's fault if the Texans lose.

They have potential to be better.

I'll take Allen over DW4 if they meet in the playoffs. I'm sure it will be all BOB's fault if the Texans lose.
Lol.. Of course you will take the Allen over Watson in the playoffs. The Bills defense is superior to the Texans defense. Everyone knows that. Allen is just an above average qb who just needs to do enough because the defense will carry the team.

Mahomes for 1.

Jimmy G

Josh Allen

Murray

Jackson

By the way, Jimmy G has less combined Tds than Watson and exactly the same amount of Ints this year. And he is in his sixth year. He should be throwing for more tds or at the very least less ints than Watson in his sixth year if you really think hes better.

Mahomes for 1.

Jimmy G

Josh Allen

Murray

Jackson

Mahomes and Jackson I agree with.
I wanted Mahomes and was pissed when Chiefs jumped up and nabbed him.
Jackson looks good but how long will he last running like that?
I could live with Jimmy G and Allen but are they better? Big question mark.
Give DW4 a decent OC and I think we see some magic.

By the way, Jimmy G has less combined Tds than Watson and exactly the same amount of Ints this year. And he is in his sixth year. He should be throwing for more tds or at the very least less ints than Watson in his sixth year if you really think hes better.

Stingray I like you man but you have this bad habit of only looking at numbers and not looking at the factors that go into those numbers. Jimmy G spent his first 3 years as a back up to Brady and got a combined total of 17 games over those 3 years. So a full season plus one over 3 years the gets traded to SF where he still is the back up for 2 years and got 9 games over two years. That first year yeah he was bad at 7 TDs and 5 INT but it was his first year in a new system and he also hasn't had near the weapons to throw to that Watson has. Hopkins just makes QBs look good with his glue sticks for hands and Fuller, when he is healthy, burns most defenders giving a pretty open target.

I'm not saying Jimmy G is a better QB but I'm also not ready to say Watson is a better QB either. Truth be told all this told of "X is better than Y" is just opinion and theory because we won't actually know who could be considered better till after all of their careers are finished and even then its subjective. If Jimmy G leads his team to a SB and Watson never even plays in one does that make him a better QB? Is Brady a better QB than every other QB to ever play because he has more rings or is a guy like Marino a better QB that just never had a team around him? The only way to be totally sure is to take all QBs, put them with the same team and playing against the same defense and running the same plays. That's not happening so its all speculation and theory crafting.

So while I don't agree with Steel's assessment, I like the clutch gene that Watson has because you can't learn or coach that and all the greats in any sport had it, I'm willing to say he is flat out wrong.

So you put him as not being a franchise qb category because he lost to Denver but you then say that you won’t even consider him as a franchise qb even if he wins against the Bucs or the Titans? So basically he has to win or play great every game or win a super bowl. Im all confused.

I used to love watching Dan Marino play. Loved Moon. Biiiiiig Jim Kelly fan going back to the Gamblers, 3 SBs in a row and couldnt get past the big one, I guess his whole career was for not. Fran Tarkenton was before my time, but watching film and highlights WOW what a player, again he probably should have played baseball or soccer since he never won "the big game".

Cunningham, Air McNair, McNabb, the list goes on and on.

Students of the game appreciate and understand when they see greatness. Winning championships takes so much more than individual play even when coming from the most important position.

All fanbases have those draftniks who got their feelings hurt on draft night and will never let it go. I certainly wont forget who slandered Watson among our "fans" .. thats for sure. I wont forget those guys who felt Bill OBrien was the better of the 2 to latch their wagons to. Its speaks volumes of a cultural/age gap when you cant even bring yourself to compliment good games, INSTEAD its a byproduct of some other chain of events. Sad and pathetic.

Kid came in and gave away his very first game check to the ladies in need during Harvey. He's never been a guy who you think might get busted for PEDs or dope. Soft spoken, leads by example. His story is amazing and so easy to root for, and still we have guys who wont be able to enjoy his career arc because they dont "think" he can win a championship (when he's won it at every level so far) AMAZING.

Last edited:
Mahomes and Jackson I agree with.
I wanted Mahomes and was pissed when Chiefs jumped up and nabbed him.
Jackson looks good but how long will he last running like that?
I could live with Jimmy G and Allen but are they better? Big question mark.
Give DW4 a decent OC and I think we see some magic.

This is all subjective

Weakest Division Leader? You forgot about Dallas, they are terrible

"L/WW, L/WW, L/WW" pattern is still in effect. At this rate I expect them to win against the Buccaneers and then lose the season finale against the Titans at home because that's what they do.

I got nothing else from this. Could summarize as "Same old-Same old"

Stingray I like you man but you have this bad habit of only looking at numbers and not looking at the factors that go into those numbers. Jimmy G spent his first 3 years as a back up to Brady and got a combined total of 17 games over those 3 years. So a full season plus one over 3 years the gets traded to SF where he still is the back up for 2 years and got 9 games over two years. That first year yeah he was bad at 7 TDs and 5 INT but it was his first year in a new system and he also hasn't had near the weapons to throw to that Watson has. Hopkins just makes QBs look good with his glue sticks for hands and Fuller, when he is healthy, burns most defenders giving a pretty open target.

I'm not saying Jimmy G is a better QB but I'm also not ready to say Watson is a better QB either. Truth be told all this told of "X is better than Y" is just opinion and theory because we won't actually know who could be considered better till after all of their careers are finished and even then its subjective. If Jimmy G leads his team to a SB and Watson never even plays in one does that make him a better QB? Is Brady a better QB than every other QB to ever play because he has more rings or is a guy like Marino a better QB that just never had a team around him? The only way to be totally sure is to take all QBs, put them with the same team and playing against the same defense and running the same plays. That's not happening so its all speculation and theory crafting.

So while I don't agree with Steel's assessment, I like the clutch gene that Watson has because you can't learn or coach that and all the greats in any sport had it, I'm willing to say he is flat out wrong.
Numbers and stats do matter and they matter a lot at the Qb position. If numbers and stats wouldn’t matter then everything would be subjective and you could say that Jim plunkett or Eli Manning were better qbs than Dan Marino because they were gritty when it mattered and won two Super Bowls. Thats just an example.

Numbers and stats do matter and they matter a lot at the Qb position. If numbers and stats wouldn’t matter then everything would be subjective and you could say that Jim plunkett or Eli Manning were better qbs than Dan Marino because they were gritty when it mattered and won two Super Bowls. Thats just an example.

I get your point and I agree number and stats do matter but even with them its still subjective. Look at the Pats this year, Brady is having a horrible year but if you switch Watson and Brady and Brady was throwing to Hopkins, Fuller and Stills and Watson was throwing to whoever the hell NE has come up with would their stats look the same? For QBs their skill and talent matters but it also matters who they are throwing to. The INT that Brady threw that Rody caught, afterwards Brady was mad that the Pats player didn't fight for it and you know what, he was right. It wouldn't have been a catch but he might could have stopped it from being an INT at least.

Fact is everything in sports IS subjective because the game and situation changes so much. 30 years ago a QB like Mahomes or Watson wouldn't even see the field because no coach would want these guys that can't stay in the pocket. Even in the current day there are other factors. Is Jackson a better QB than Watson? If we go strictly on stats then yeah you can argue he is. However, as much as I love Jackson on the Ravens I wouldn't want him any where close to the Texans because this system wouldn't work for him.

As I am the only one proposing trade of Watson (I think), I will respond. First if you are responding to my comment (I apologise if you aren't) you should include what I suggested the trade should be and if you want to dialog say why you think the trade should not be done. Perhaps you did so in the thread I proposed the trade as I've not reviewed for a bit. My trade would be to Miami for picks 1.3, 1.22 and 1.23.

There is just so much wrong with your above post. First your last sentence, I've not seen anyone including SteelbTexan say we should scrap this team and start over. On a side note you accuse him of never criticising OBrien and as often as Steel & I disagree and yes he does drone on and on sometimes he has repeatedly given fair criticism to our HC.

2. A franchise player at any position plays at that level often as does Watt and Hopkins both of whom I have criticised over their career when I thought it was fair to do so. Watson is not a franchise QB; he might become one but has not yet and that is why I criticise his mistakes and recognize his positives.

3. If #4 was a franchise QB he should be putting us in position to beat and beating elite and great teams. We beat one great team (NE) and loss by 2 points to a great team (Saints) and I recognise that but we should have swept Colts and stomped Denver. In our game two we beat JAGS by 1 point and Tenn by 3. That has to be noted and no I am not blaming Watson for all of it but I cannot ignore his blunders as in the recent win vs Titans. Feel like I have to say this again but I'm in favor of firing OBrien. I agree OB's offense is over complicated.

4. Boasting about Watson playing better than other QBs we've had seems hollow to me but you are correct, he has. I think Dashaun is a very good QB who needs to step up and he has some but not as he should if he is a franchise.

The problem with using the term "franchise QB" is everyone has a different definition for it. It sounds like you have fairly high standards for a "franchise QB", while to some others, if you are 100% sure the QB you have now will be the starting QB next season... then that guy is a franchise QB. Which definition is correct? No one knows.

I mean JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins are arguably the best players at their position. Will Watson not be a franchise QB in your mind unless people start talking about him as the best QB in the league?

Football 101, but here is a link about the two time Super Bowl winner, high football IQ brother of Peyton with over 10 years of experience making the exact same mistake that led to a loss. My point? It happens and is not a reflection on not grasping simple football concepts or being stupid. It happens.

By the way, the QB headset is turned off at the 12 second mark of the play clock. The 49ers and Rams are known for going no huddle, quickly getting to the LOS and the OCs are communicating with the QBs and helping dissect the defense that couldn’t substitute. Its more than a few seconds.

I often wonder if any of the armchair quarterbacks around here watch any other teams or absorb NFL history.

NFL Films has done a great job of capturing the NFL over the decades, especially when they mic up players and/or coaches.

And through all the years I've watched NFL Films, what is clear is that even the best players need to be reminded of the basics from time to time.

Considering how much information a modern NFL QB is processing in a very short amount of time, getting reminded about game situations is critical.

Clint Stoerner talked about this very thing yesterday. He said even Peyton Manning would have a guy in his ear reminding him about basic stuff. And yeah, maybe he was already aware in the moment, but that did not exclude him from being reminded by coaches.

Watson is young, and this is a learning experience. But acting like this is somehow indicative of a learning disability or whatever other nonsense gets perpetuated only serves to reveal a preconceived agenda looking for confirmation bias.

These guys aren't perfect, and they never will be. Expecting perfection is an exercise in futility, and perhaps even a bit obtuse.

GOAT level troll post or just grumpy old man?

tenor.gif

I often wonder if any of the armchair quarterbacks around here watch any other teams or absorb NFL history.

NFL Films has done a great job of capturing the NFL over the decades, especially when they mic up players and/or coaches.

And through all the years I've watched NFL Films, what is clear is that even the best players need to be reminded of the basics from time to time.

Considering how much information a modern NFL QB is processing in a very short amount of time, getting reminded about game situations is critical.

Clint Stoerner talked about this very thing yesterday. He said even Peyton Manning would have a guy in his ear reminding him about basic stuff. And yeah, maybe he was already aware in the moment, but that did not exclude him from being reminded by coaches.

Watson is young, and this is a learning experience. But acting like this is somehow indicative of a learning disability or whatever other nonsense gets perpetuated only serves to reveal a preconceived agenda looking for confirmation bias.

These guys aren't perfect, and they never will be. Expecting perfection is an exercise in futility, and perhaps even a bit obtuse.

Spot on. The QB can listen to the OC/HC talk for 20 seconds before every play in his helmet. Was OBrien reminding him of the situational awareness there? If going out of bounds was that big of a sin wouldnt there have been some explicit instructions before that play, and all the plays on that drive for that matter?

Nope, its just the illiterate idiot QB that we have, only him.

Back